Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2021, 16:52   #6106
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Hello Amien, i am leaning towards two models from HP. The intel based one is cheaper and has a better graphics card and display specifications i think. Can you kindly weigh in, am going to visit a few stores as well.
15-EK0019TX - 114K
https://www.flipkart.com/hp-omen-cor...m2ec9187cb69f8

15-EN0023DX -121K
https://www.flipkart.com/hp-omen-15-...m4c16328a87123

This asus seems to be good too

Asus ROG Strix G15 Core i7 - 94k
https://www.flipkart.com/asus-rog-st...m7eac04fb87bcf
The Intel Omen has a CPU that's 1 tier down and a GPU that's 2 tiers down from the AMD config. The Intel config isn't so much cheaper as it is horribly overpriced.

The Strix is better in that it atleast has a 1660Ti. The CPU is still a tier down.

For your reference, how's how the things currently stack up:-

GPU: 1650 > 1660 (~50% performance uplift from 1650) > 2060 (10-15% uplift from 1660 plus RTX and DLSS support)

CPU:
Core i7 10750H (6 core 12 thread) = Ryzen 5 4600H (6 core 12 thread)
Core i7 10875H (8 core 16 thread) = Ryzen 7 4800H (8 core 16 thread)
Both options above are about equal in performance but the AMD parts are more efficient, i.e. they use less power and generate less heat.

PS: If your budget has changed, you should probably update us.

Last edited by Amien : 27th February 2021 at 17:01.
Old 27th February 2021, 17:24   #6107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Both options above are about equal in performance but the AMD parts are more efficient, i.e. they use less power and generate less heat.
Hello Amien, yes my budget has gone up a bit. I am now choosing between HP Omen and Asus ROG. The HP is Ryzen 7 4800H while the Asus is Ryzen 9 4900HS. HP has 3 year warranty for a total cost of 123.5k. The Asus is 119k with 1 year warranty plus few other cons as no webcam and 8Gb memory is soldered.

https://store.hp.com/in-en/default/l...x-26h93pa.html

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08JVGR1QF
Old 27th February 2021, 19:21   #6108
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Amien, yes my budget has gone up a bit. I am now choosing between HP Omen and Asus ROG. The HP is Ryzen 7 4800H while the Asus is Ryzen 9 4900HS. HP has 3 year warranty for a total cost of 123.5k. The Asus is 119k with 1 year warranty plus few other cons as no webcam and 8Gb memory is soldered.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08JVGR1QF
Hello diyguy. I'm aware of these parts, their specs and the respective chassis/models you're linking to. Just want to ease the trouble of having to re-state them.

HS parts are lower power variants of the H-class CPU. It goes something like this:- U > HS > H, in (left to right) decreasing order of efficiency but increasing order of performance/wattage.

The same goes for Nvidia GPU i.e. Max-Q = efficiency and standard or Max-P variants = power/performance

The ASUS you've linked here is a good choice if battery life/efficiency is your priority, or if you'd like a lighter laptop. Its a good pick but I think you should lead with your use-case rather than getting lost in specs. and marketing designations. Most brands will sell you an extended warranty at a good price right after purchase. For example, ASUS sells theirs via asuspromo.in for a nominal charge.

Now I'd rather give you all the info and let you make your own decision but if you're not inclined towards a deep dive of these things, you could simply state your total updated budget and let me do the grunt work.

So far the 4800H Omen has been the best overall package of the ones you've linked, but do let me know if there's anything else I can help with

Last edited by Amien : 27th February 2021 at 19:34.
Old 27th February 2021, 21:36   #6109
BHPian

Quote:
.. you could simply state your total updated budget and let me do the grunt work.
Thanks much for everything Amien. My ideal laptop was Ryzen 7, 16Gb RAM, 512 SSD and 6GB 1660TI GPU. I found this in a US model of Omen but it is not available here yet.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06657657

I am going to close on the omen i had linked earlier before it runs out of stock. Primary use case is to run Architecture software that my daughter needs. She has a HP Envy x360 that does not have a GPU and some software that she uses, Lumion, keeps crashing and rendering on some other software takes 4 hours instead of minutes. Thats why i wanted to go to the highest configuration that i can afford which went up from 1L to 1.3L now.
I looked at a lot of models including Z Book, but they are north of 1.3L so i ditched them. She can probably make do with a Ryzen 5 and a 4 Gb GPU but i dont want to get into an issue of slowness again.
Old 27th February 2021, 22:03   #6110
BHPian

Quote:
https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06657657

Primary use case is to run Architecture software that my daughter needs.
I remember your original post and requirements well. The Envy x360 is a thin/light convertible and not at all suited for what she's trying to do, so that's not surprising.

You don't need the 4800H, 4600H is more than enough. As you've yourself noted, the workload is going to be GPU-heavy which the 1660Ti will handle without issue. You also don't need a high-refresh display.

As a general rule, you should always optimize for use-case and not for budget. Budget is an important guideline but nothing more. The HP Omen 15-15-EN0002AX remains the best option and the one best suited to your/her use-case.

If you must max out your budget and GPU compute, this MSI GL65 Leopard 10SFK-298IN would be the way to go. The Omen (including the one you linked) is still my primary recommendation however.

Last edited by Amien : 27th February 2021 at 22:18. Reason: added option
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 23:16   #6111
BHPian

Hello - Need some expert opinion for my use case.

1. Watch Youtube, Amazon Prime and Netflix videos on browser.
2. Microsoft office use including editing macro-heavy excels.
3. Self-learning using Machine Learning and Cloud related courses. E.g. practice for AWS certification, learn Python programming, Big Data, etc.
4. Edit video and audio to upload into Youtube or Podcast. For personal channels.
5. Store personal files (documents, family photos, etc). Of course would keep a backup in external drives too.

From what I have been reading in this thread, I think I will prefer AMD processor (at least Ryzen 5), 16 GB non-soldered RAM and 512 SSD. I am not sure whether I will need a separate graphics card, and if so, how much VRAM.

Can you please suggest some brand-models which will have reasonable support available in Pune?

Not looking for Apple products.
Old 27th February 2021, 23:46   #6112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
I am not sure whether I will need a separate graphics card, and if so, how much VRAM.

Can you please suggest some brand-models which will have reasonable support available in Pune?
Please specify a budget. A GPU can accelerate some ML/Data tasks but you need to be sure because otherwise you'd be investing in an expensive and power-hungry part that you don't need for much else. Many people with similar workflows use a remote server/cloud based solution such as Google Colab which will bypass some need for local compute.

You should have good support from virtually every brand in metro cities.
Old 28th February 2021, 00:49   #6113
BHPian

Quote:
Please specify a budget. A GPU can accelerate some ML/Data tasks but you need to be sure because otherwise you'd be investing in an expensive and power-hungry part that you don't need for much else. Many people with similar workflows use a remote server/cloud based solution such as Google Colab which will bypass some need for local compute.

You should have good support from virtually every brand in metro cities.
Budget is 1 lakh. Agree - I think I also would use cloud based solution. So would not need much computing power for running ML programs.
Old 28th February 2021, 01:53   #6114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
Budget is 1 lakh. Agree - I think I also would use cloud based solution. So would not need much computing power for running ML programs.
Choose the HP Omen recommended in the above posts if size/weight doesn't matter.

If you need extra portability, take a look at the ASUS Zephyrus G14 GA401II-HE217TS. Powerful, efficient, well-built, upgradable and comes with a large SSD The only downside, if you can call it that, is the lack of an integrated webcam. There's nothing else quite like it at this size.

Your budget can accomodate a GPU without sacrificing much else. Switchable graphics will still net you great battery life. If you feel like you need something even more portable(at the cost of performance), reply with your size/weight preferences and anything else you feel will help find the right fit that you haven't shared already.

Last edited by Amien : 28th February 2021 at 02:03. Reason: added text
Old 28th February 2021, 02:40   #6115
BHPian

Apologies, meant to link the cheaper GA401II-HE022TS model with a 512GB SSD. Please merge if possible.
Old 28th February 2021, 13:01   #6116
BHPian

Quote:
Amien, thanks for your advise and guidance. Went with the Omen 37AX from the online HP Store.
I logged into my account and was trying out payment options when i got a call from HP. I asked for a Flipkart price march. She immediately offered me a 3% discount on the listed price. There is an additional 90 day cash back from SBI on zero % emi transactions, so this worked out well in the end. I have to purchase the two year extended warranty once I get the laptop at a price of 1500 for two additional years. Thanks much!
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 20:15   #6117
BHPian

Quote:
Went with the Omen 37AX from the online HP Store.
Congratulations!

Make sure you test the laptop thoroughly during the return window and double-check the extended warranty status with HP after purchasing/activating it.
Old 1st March 2021, 01:12   #6118
BHPian

Quote:
Make sure you test the laptop thoroughly during the return window.
Thanks Amien, will do it this time though I've never done this in the past for any of our laptops ever. Is there a software to stress test the GPU/CPU and other key aspects of a laptop? Dell had a bios based such test/troubleshooting method that would generate a report to send to support on most hardware components of a laptop.
Old 1st March 2021, 01:19   #6119
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Amien, will do it this time though I've never done this in the past for any of our laptops ever. Is there a software to stress test the GPU/CPU and other key aspects of a laptop? Dell had a bios based such test/troubleshooting method that would generate a report to send to support on most hardware components of a laptop.
The user-facing parts should get the most attention. You can run a program like OCCT/Prime95 to stress test but even something like installing Windows updates or playing a game should be good enough. HWinfo is a good tool for monitoring clocks/thermals etc.

Any QC issues usually show themselves within the first week so you're probably good post that.
Old 1st March 2021, 15:53   #6120
Senior - BHPian

What would be the better option among these three below

1. Ideapad 5 15 Core i5 11th Gen 11365G7 processor/ 8 GB RAM / 1 TB HDD / 256 GB SSD / Intel Iris XE graphics

2. Ideapad 5 14 Ryzen 4500 U processor/ 8 GB RAM / 512 GB SSD / AMD on board graphics

3. Ideapad 5 14 Ryzen 4700 U processor/ 8 GB RAM / 512 GB SSD / AMD on board graphics

The intel is a 15 inch laptop while the other two are 14 inch. The only issue I see with this is the 8 GB soldered RAM that cannot be upgraded.

Experts please chip in.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks