Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2020, 11:54   #5971
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Hi, you need temperature measurements on the D skin of the laptop. All vendors have skin temperature limits defined for A,B,C,D skins of the device. It will be in 40-50deg Max If I remember right. So 40deg below heat vent will be normal purely from a technical perspective.

Web browsing with WIFI enabled is one of the highly power hungry use case contrary to public perception. Battery life of 4-5 hours is quite normal with this. Also laptops are not clearly meant to be used on the laps. Many thin and light laptops have poor thermal designs and you can get fried up if you do this.
I don't use it on the lap at all. Yes, the temperature values are fine. It is just that there are two similar devices, and one runs perceptively hotter for no reason. I don't even have Chrome installed. I get approx. 3h, it was 4-5 sometime before. Plus, I also have battery drain during shutdown. Battery reduces by 10 percent or so, regularly, when using 24h after shutdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Things i can think of
1. Install HP coolsense - the latest version and try tweaking the settings there
2. set fan to always on in bios
3. Play around with System cooling policy in power management settings
4. check background processes to see if something is using excess CPU in the background
5. Update BIOS
6. take a vacuum cleaner and use it on the cooling vents in an attempt to suck out dust from inside
7. Worst case dismantle it and clean the heat sink (or get it done by some local service center under your supervision)
8. Get a cooling pad
Have tried the first 7. In fact I got to see when the technician dismantled the device. There was no dust within, definitely not near the intake or outlet vents. BIOS is updated too, and fan starts running at full speed in 10 to 15 minutes only. Also calibrated the battery on suggestion of HP Support. No improvement at all, and battery still has that shutdown drain

Mods : apologies for back to back posts. Kindly merge if necessary.
Old 9th December 2020, 12:17   #5972
BHPian

Re: Problem with HP laptop - have I gotten a lemon?

First off, I know how frustrating and saddening such situations can be. I've been in your shoes and I feel sad that you have to go through this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
...the case was closed again, with the service centre saying that the device was working "within specifications"
Did they ever clarify what these "specifications" are? Can you ask them to clarify (via email) what specifications they're talking about and if they can share those with you?

Like someone else has pointed out, it is possible that in your case the temperature may be just within the specifications when the technician measures it and that is why HP isn't doing anything.

However, once you know what those specifications are - you can do your own measurements (on video of course) and see if the temperatures fall within the recommended "specifications".

On a side note, about 12 - 13 years ago I was gifted a HP laptop (from the DV2000 series if I remember correctly) by my family for college. After the first year, it heated up a lot. I couldn't touch it - had to use an external keyboard and mouse. I did use the laptop for many years but always had to use a cooling stand with it.

For the time being, using a cooling stand and only using the laptop on a flat surface is a compromise you may have to live with.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 13:14   #5973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
First off, I know how frustrating and saddening such situations can be. I've been in your shoes and I feel sad that you have to go through this.

Did they ever clarify what these "specifications" are? Can you ask them to clarify (via email) what specifications they're talking about and if they can share those with you?

Like someone else has pointed out, it is possible that in your case the temperature may be just within the specifications when the technician measures it and that is why HP isn't doing anything.

However, once you know what those specifications are - you can do your own measurements (on video of course) and see if the temperatures fall within the recommended "specifications".

On a side note, about 12 - 13 years ago I was gifted a HP laptop (from the DV2000 series if I remember correctly) by my family for college. After the first year, it heated up a lot. I couldn't touch it - had to use an external keyboard and mouse. I did use the laptop for many years but always had to use a cooling stand with it.

For the time being, using a cooling stand and only using the laptop on a flat surface is a compromise you may have to live with.
It's funny how HP sells so many devices, when within hours of me posting here, I've been rebuked for choosing the brand in the first place. And I've seen other HP devices gone kaput too, which is appalling. I also got the device for college, but was unable to even use it when most necessary

They've never answered the specification question though I've asked them repeatedly. But I assume it is for the temperature values. I do have the set of values they took at the service centre, but not the specified values. Why, I asked the service centre to show me the response mail they got from HP saying that my device is within specifications, and they declined saying that it is confidential.

While they're within the limits as per HP, what they are not understanding is that the temperature is supposed to max out in the 40s for intensive activities (30+ tabs open in Chrome, etc). The device gets very hot when doing almost nothing. To test if WiFi may be the issue, I disconnected WiFi and then did something light offline, and the problem persists.

Assuming that they don't want to solve the issue just because of the specification thing, fine. I clearly mentioned the battery drain issue (especially when shutdown) and they still didn't do anything about it. It was completely out of frustration that I took the device back, because obviously they are not in a mood to solve the issue.

I think the cooling pad may very well be my next step, if there is no solution to this. This is a device a little over a year old, with a battery not even half a year old, and facing issues like this.
Old 9th December 2020, 14:59   #5974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

They've never answered the specification question though I've asked them repeatedly. But I assume it is for the temperature values. I do have the set of values they took at the service centre, but not the specified values. Why, I asked the service centre to show me the response mail they got from HP saying that my device is within specifications, and they declined saying that it is confidential.

While they're within the limits as per HP, what they are not understanding is that the temperature is supposed to max out in the 40s for intensive activities (30+ tabs open in Chrome, etc). The device gets very hot when doing almost nothing. To test if WiFi may be the issue, I disconnected WiFi and then did something light offline, and the problem persists.
When you say it is device gets very hot, it is purely subjective. If the temperatures reach, beyond specified values, the processor should throttle.
So you need clear data. What is the temperature you measure on the D skin ie the bottom of laptop, when you say it is hot? As I mentioned some manufactures can set this as high as 50deg. It can be pretty hot to touch or keep on lap. So worry only if the temperature in any part of the chassis bottom is above 50deg. Keep the laptop always on a desk with proper airflow ensured in the bottom.

There are numerous standard application available to test the battery life of a laptop. My MacBook hardly lasts 3-4 hours on normal work loads like call and browsing. It will be no where near the claimed battery life.
Local video playback is the most easy way to measure the battery life for a common man and followed by most PC vendors. But again you have to kill all the unwanted background processes to get reliable results.

Last edited by poloman : 9th December 2020 at 15:12.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 15:52   #5975
BHPian

Quote:
It's funny how HP sells...
If you have that second laptop, can you run identical loads on both and check if yours is heating up differently than the other one? You can record all possible data, showing the CPU load, fan state, etc on both machines. You could also check temperatures all around the laptops using an infrared thermometer. Hopefully this will lead you to derive some conclusions.

Another thought, can they replace the motherboard? It would be easier for them to do that than replacing your laptop.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 16:19   #5976
BHPian

Quote:
When you say it is device gets very hot, it is purely subjective. If the temperatures reach, beyond specified values, the processor should throttle.
So you need clear data. What is the temperature you measure on the D skin ie the bottom of laptop, when you say it is hot? As I mentioned some manufactures can set this as high as 50deg. It can be pretty hot to touch or keep on lap. So worry only if the temperature in any part of the chassis bottom is above 50deg. Keep the laptop always on a desk with proper airflow ensured in the bottom.

There are numerous standard application available to test the battery life of a laptop. My MacBook hardly lasts 3-4 hours on normal work loads like call and browsing. It will be no where near the claimed battery life.
Local video playback is the most easy way to measure the battery life for a common man and followed by most PC vendors. But again you have to kill all the unwanted background processes to get reliable results.
Yes, it is quite subjective. Airflow is good, because due to the issue I have a hardbound below the device that allows the heat vents more room to let air out. My point has just been that the device readings HP took didn't go above 50, maximum I saw was around 45. But then it shouldn't feel uncomfortable to use, right? (That reading was at the bottom)

As for the battery backup, I ran the system test on loop till full battery drained (battery calibration suggested by HP Support) and it lasted for 2h 38m. Plus, in any case, a new battery (now just 5m old) should not drain 10 percent after 24h of disuse. I once left it for 3 days straight and battery was down by 32 percent. I don't generally charge battery to full. But this drain is there either way. They have not paid heed to the issue at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
If you have that second laptop, can you run identical loads on both and check if yours is heating up differently than the other one? You can record all possible data, showing the CPU load, fan state, etc on both machines. You could also check temperatures all around the laptops using an infrared thermometer. Hopefully this will lead you to derive some conclusions.

Another thought, can they replace the motherboard? It would be easier for them to do that than replacing your laptop.
I tried that equal loading thing. I didn't take actual readings (I will have to do that) but it was comparatively hotter.
Motherboard? Well, the technician said that there was a possibility of that happening, but are reluctant to do anything. I understand why they are looking at the readings to get to a conclusion, but if it is not comfortable when using they should atleast pay attention to the issue.
Old 9th December 2020, 16:21   #5977
BHPian

Quote:
It's funny how HP...
Have you tried reaching out to in.ced@hp.com? They've provided this email address on their website for issues related to their "support experience":
https://ssl.www8.hp.com/h41268/live/...aspx?qid=25022

Last edited by Eddy : 9th December 2020 at 16:35. Reason: Fixed quotes
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 16:38   #5978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is quite subjective. Airflow is good, because due to the issue I have a hardbound below the device that allows the heat vents more room to let air out. My point has just been that the device readings HP took didn't go above 50, maximum I saw was around 45. But then it shouldn't feel uncomfortable to use, right? (That reading was at the bottom)

As for the battery backup, I ran the system test on loop till full battery drained (battery calibration suggested by HP Support) and it lasted for 2h 38m. Plus, in any case, a new battery (now just 5m old) should not drain 10 percent after 24h of disuse. I once left it for 3 days straight and battery was down by 32 percent. I don't generally charge battery to full. But this drain is there either way. They have not paid heed to the issue at all.

I tried that equal loading thing. I didn't take actual readings (I will have to do that) but it was comparatively hotter.
Motherboard? Well, the technician said that there was a possibility of that happening, but are reluctant to do anything.
45 deg is pretty common for laptops. When you put it on lap, the bottom air inlets are blocked and the system can get quite hot.
Your loop test results look bad, but not sure which test you ran. It should be local video.
The standby time looks OK to me. If you get 10 days of standby time, I would say it is good. Make sure that, the system goes to hibernate.
Quote:
Have you tried reaching out to in.ced@hp.com? They've provided this email address on their website for issues related to their "support experience":
With out proper data and diagnosis, HP is not going to do anything. If the laptop is heating up to 45deg, I can assure you that is with in the standard OEM limits.

Last edited by poloman : 9th December 2020 at 16:42.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 19:30   #5979
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I did this, and they just responded by creating a new case ID, then the same chain happened.

Quote:
45 deg is pretty common for laptops. When you put it on lap, the bottom air inlets are blocked and the system can get quite hot.
Your loop test results look bad, but not sure which test you ran. It should be local video.
Okay, so this didn't run a video. It ran a full system check on loop. I did that since HP prescribed that as procedure to calibrate battery. I'll try doing this local video test now then.

Quote:
The standby time looks OK to me. If you get 10 days of standby time, I would say it is good. Make sure that, the system goes to hibernate.
That is not the standby time. The PC was switched off, and switched back on after 24h, and there was a reduction in battery percentage for some reason.

Quote:
With out proper data and diagnosis, HP is not going to do anything. If the laptop is heating up to 45deg, I can assure you that is with in the standard OEM limits

I totally get this. This is a lost cause then? Cause that's the reflex of any guy providing after sales support : try to dodge issues. Again, I did think that heating of this level is what will happen, but then I happened to use the other device and was shook, at how much cooler the other one ran.
Old 10th December 2020, 11:24   #5980
Senior - BHPian

This case again brings us back to the importance of support. With increasing complexity, appliances, phones and computers will malfunction (when and no longer if), and that is when stellar after sales support will differentiate average from excellent. It does not matter if you have the best specifications and the best operating device, if the after sales service sucks, it negates the very purpose of acquiring it.

There fore in the last forty years I have given maximum weight to after sales service rather than to exotic specifications and design, be it car or computer or phone or air conditioner.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 12:56   #5981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
This case again brings us back to the importance of support. With increasing complexity, appliances, phones and computers will malfunction (when and no longer if), and that is when stellar after sales support will differentiate average from excellent. It does not matter if you have the best specifications and the best operating device, if the after sales service sucks, it negates the very purpose of acquiring it.

There fore in the last forty years I have given maximum weight to after sales service rather than to exotic specifications and design, be it car or computer or phone or air conditioner.
That is for sure. And HP does have a good service network, but the service I've gotten... it's not been receptive so far, I feel. This very point made me shy away from the cheapest, 2-core MacBook. But now I feel that my life may have been easier with that one

Last edited by gusfring : 10th December 2020 at 12:57. Reason: Typo
Old 12th December 2020, 16:47   #5982
BHPian

Hello Experts,

I am looking to replace my 8 year old Samsung i3 laptop with a new one. Usage would be MS office, Browsing, Photoshop, Video editing at times, Games.

Requirements :

i7
16GB ram
Standalone graphics (4GB NVidia or likes)
512 GB SSD
Good display.
Minimum 14 inch and above screen size. presently using 15.6 inches. Feels good to have a separate numerical keyboard.
Decent service support
Want to avoid Chinese make laptops.
Would prefer all metal body and sleeker ones. But not a deal breaker.

Budget : 75-80k.

Which companies can i Consider? Any suggestions?
Mac is out of budget. Also I am not a fan of Apple.

Found an ASUS i7-9th Generation laptop on Flipkart. Can we consider buying Laptops through online e-commerce sites like Flipkart?

Thank you.

Ani
Old 12th December 2020, 17:17   #5983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
Found an ASUS i7-9th Generation laptop on Flipkart. Can we consider buying Laptops through online e-commerce sites like Flipkart?
My reply is more for your query regarding online purchase. I picked up a laptop with the following configuration during the recent Amazon sale.

ASUS ROG Strix G17 17.3" FHD 120Hz Intel Core i7-10750H 10th Gen, GTX 1660Ti 6GB Graphics (16GB RAM/512GB NVMe SSD/Windows 10/Original Black/2.83 Kg), G712LU-H7015T.

I don't have to travel with this laptop and I wanted a big screen for office work. 95% used for WFH.

The delivery experience was super smooth. Delivered in excellent condition. Well packed. Brand new. Exchanged my old laptop too for this purchase.

Online purchase experience was very good with Amazon. Of late am loosing my trust on Flipkart.
SCORPION is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 00:40   #5984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
i7
16GB ram
Standalone graphics (4GB NVidia or likes)
512 GB SSD
Good display.
Minimum 14 inch and above screen size. presently using 15.6 inches. Feels good to have a separate numerical keyboard.
Decent service support
Want to avoid Chinese make laptops.
Would prefer all metal body and sleeker ones. But not a deal breaker.
The requirements are somewhat contradictory as sleeker/thin and light designs will omit the numerical pad and screens over 14-inch to fit the required profile.

Your first choice in this range should also be based on the new 7nm Ryzen 4000 CPUs as they not only outperform their Intel equvivalents, but are also more efficient. This is particularly important when choosing a sleeker build; where that efficiency has thermal and battery-life implications. Remember that you're buying a system and not a collection of parts.

My recommendation is the ASUS Zephyrus G14. Despite its compact size, it has expandable RAM incase you need more later.

Last edited by Amien : 13th December 2020 at 00:44.
Amien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 20:38   #5985
BHPian

Team I am looking for a laptop for my son for attending online primary school classes.Main requirements are
Core i3
Webcam
Ssd
SIM card slot
Type c port
Hdmi port
Min 4 gm ram and expandable
14 inch screen
Any pointers within a budget of 40k

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks