Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2020, 12:41   #5956
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
you will need to sacrifice some of your other critieria to gain it.
Could you please evaluate and suggest the alternative? I'm willing to forgo.
Old 6th December 2020, 12:57   #5957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
Could you please evaluate and suggest the alternative? I'm willing to forgo.
The Mi Notebook 14 is a true metal-bodied thin/light with a quad-core i5.

ThinkPad E14 in this range will only come with a dual-core i3.

Make your choice based on what's important to you.
Old 6th December 2020, 13:21   #5958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
What do you guys think? Is the damage superficial or deep?
Does your laptop have an internal battery or is it a removable one?

If its an internal battery, I am willing to put to bet that the battery has swollen up and popped open your laptop.

Ask me how I know

Have done more than my share of laptop repairs (on my own machines) so PM me and I should be able to help you with this.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/I...y/td-p/6057193

Last edited by AbhiJ : 6th December 2020 at 13:24.
AbhiJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 21:44   #5959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Does your laptop have an internal battery or is it a removable one?

If its an internal battery, I am willing to put to bet that the battery has swollen up and popped open your laptop.

Ask me how I know

Have done more than my share of laptop repairs (on my own machines) so PM me and I should be able to help you with this.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/I...y/td-p/6057193
Yes indeed it has an internal battery. This is worrisome. Since this is a company property I will inform the IT department. Thanks for bringing up this point. Will post here once I get an update from the IT team.
Old 7th December 2020, 12:03   #5960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes indeed it has an internal battery. This is worrisome. Since this is a company property I will inform the IT department. Thanks for bringing up this point. Will post here once I get an update from the IT team.
Give me your exact model number, and I can help you with some articles with the same.

The same thing happened to my Alienware.

The battery swap is simple (although tedious)
Old 7th December 2020, 12:07   #5961
BHPian

Quote:
Only the front part has popped open. The sides are ok. I tried to press and snap it back lightly once, but to no avail.

Is that a Latitude 54XX series laptop? I have the Latitude 5480 and had the exact issue some time back.

Initially, I didn't realize the battery had swollen up and ended up using the laptop like this for 5 - 6 months. Finally I realized what happened and asked my IT team for a replacement battery.

Unfortunately, the replacement battery took more than a month to arrive. I don't know if Dell was waiting for spares from China or there was a delay within India itself due to the ongoing pandemic.

Replacing the battery was a quick DIY job though - the instructions on Dell's website are good enough.
Old 7th December 2020, 13:30   #5962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Give me your exact model number, and I can help you with some articles with the same.

The same thing happened to my Alienware.

The battery swap is simple (although tedious)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
Is that a Latitude 54XX series laptop? I have the Latitude 5480 and had the exact issue some time back.
Yep, mine is Latitude 5480.

I will back in Chennai in a couple of weeks and will take it to office for further action.

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 7th December 2020 at 13:32.
Old 9th December 2020, 00:13   #5963
BHPian

Problem with HP laptop - have I gotten a lemon?

I've thought this through and couldn't arrive at a solution. I request you all to read through, patiently, and give me a solution for my issue. Apologies in advance if this turns out to be confusing, because I am confused myself.

Last August, I got a HP Pavilion x360 device. And within a couple months I noticed a strange clicking noise when I was cleaning the screen with a microfiber cloth. It was from the area of the left hinge. The laptop was given to the service centre, and they pretended to not understand what I was saying. They gave it back after servicing for TWO months, saying that there is no problem. I obtained in written that should there be any issue, they will rectify without us incurring charges.

Cut to the lockdown this year, I noticed the device being uncomfortably hot. As it happened we got two devices together. When being used simultaneously (it didn't happen for this long a period before) it was evident that my laptop was running way hotter. To add to the overheating (or maybe because of it) the battery was draining superfast, to the extent of me needing to charge after just 3h of browsing the web.

Usage, for a really long time, has been browser-related only. Heavy software was not in use. So in June the saga began. I lodged a complaint and a technician visited a month later. As always they pretended not to notice the issue. But since the issue was obvious to me, they replaced the battery and heat sink, assuring me that the issue won't recur.

But guess what? The problem existed still. Worse, the service centre closed the complaint on their end. I wrote a strongly worded mail to consumer care, and they raised a new case. This chain kept occuring too many times for me to keep count, just by the way.

In response to this, another technician came to visit. Since the laptop was just switched on in those previous visits, the technicians were able to escape since the laptop didn't hear up perceptively enough in the 5 minutes they spared. This time I was using the device for an hour before, and the technician was not able to place the device on his lap for even a few seconds : the device was THAT hot!!! I told him that I was experiencing the same everyday.

He took some logs and assured me that the motherboard, or the device as a whole, may have to be replaced. Further, another technician came in to take temperature readings and told me that the laptop heating behaviour is irregular.

For instance I could see readings of over 40 degrees Celsius below the heat vent (it's on the side in my device). But to my shock, the case was closed again, with the service centre saying that the device was working "within specifications", whatever the heck they mean by that. How I came to know this was through a call to HP's toll free, because the service centre had closed the case without my consent, yet again!!!

Now, I DM'ed the HP guys on Twitter (HP India didn't have a DM). Another case was registered, and this time the technician asked me to give the laptop to the service center, which I did in a couple days. One week later, I get a call and they said the problem is resolved. Obviously, I didn't believe them, and asked if they have solved or if they just think they have solved. The guy said it was the latter.

Now I went to the centre and showed them the device heating up. Here's what I did. I connected the device to the charger and connected to my phone's hotspot. I opened Edge and went to Google. That's all, and the device was already quite hot. I showed that to the technician there, and he still DIDN'T admit. But he said he will look into the issue. Then after tons of following up, they came back with the same damn result - the device is working "within specifications". Also, the battery issue I mentioned was NEVER even looked at!!!! This was in October.

Now, what I have not mentioned here is the sheer number of cases that they closed for no reason at all; the numerous times I had to follow up for case status, the many times I had to allow technicians to visit my place (considering the pandemic) because I was, and still am, desperate for a solution. And the number of calls I got from different departments of HP asking if my case was solved, when their technicians aren't interested to do so!!!

This episode has made me regret buying that thing in the first place. Why, the device I first got was declared defective on arrival as the fingerprint scanner went kaput from get go. Yeah, the device I'm having issues with is a replacement by itself.

Now, I have not done anything about this because I am simply blank. I don't know how to proceed. I use the device with a hardbound book underneath as it heats up any surface I place it on, be it a table or my lap. At this point, I will totally be happy with a refund : I will never buy a laptop again!!! But especially considering the sheer amount of time spent with the service center, and the number of cases I've lodged and not gotten a solution from, I hope to get this replaced atleast.

Any advice on how to move forward here will be highly appreciated.
gusfring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 01:28   #5964
BHPian

Re: Problem with HP laptop - have I gotten a lemon?

While I have sympathy for your troubles, you make a case for posting in the Laptop thread before making any purchase decisions because if you had done that, I'm positive that someone would have advised you to steer clear of the POS that is the HP Pavillion x360; a terrible chassis by all accounts, poorly built with almost no redeeming features.

A general rule of the RMA process is that you do not accept the device back if you feel that the issue is unresolved. If your purchase was in August, unless you got an extended extended warranty, logging a new case will likely not be possible. Keep pursuing the matter with them while citing the date of the original case.

Lastly, If you end up living with it, cleaning the internals and applying fresh thermal paste is a good idea. Heat will cause the battery to discharge (and degrade) faster. A faulty battery could also be causing problems so its best to have it replaced.
Amien is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 02:46   #5965
Senior - BHPian

Very sad that you're experiencing this issue. Try checking this post:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post4897148 (Which Laptop brand provides the best after-sales service & reliability in India?)

I hope you find a friendly BHPian who can escalate the matter internally at HP.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 09:25   #5966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
While I have sympathy for your troubles, you make a case for posting in the Laptop thread before making any purchase decisions because if you had done that, I'm positive that someone would have advised you to steer clear of the POS that is the HP Pavillion x360; a terrible chassis by all accounts, poorly built with almost no redeeming features.

A general rule of the RMA process is that you do not accept the device back if you feel that the issue is unresolved. If your purchase was in August, unless you got an extended extended warranty, logging a new case will likely not be possible. Keep pursuing the matter with them while citing the date of the original case.
Unfortunately I became a member here more than a year after purchasing my device
Had I known, I'd have easily gone for something else. Yes, I do have an extended warranty. I've pursued the case multiple times, and the end result has not changed at all. They still claim that there is no issue at all, while the device is positively burning during usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Very sad that you're experiencing this issue. Try checking this post:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post4897148 (Which Laptop brand provides the best after-sales service & reliability in India?)

I hope you find a friendly BHPian who can escalate the matter internally at HP.
Thank you, I'll look at this
gusfring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 10:58   #5967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Unfortunately I became a member here more than a year after purchasing my device
Had I known, I'd have easily gone for something else. Yes, I do have an extended warranty. I've pursued the case multiple times, and the end result has not changed at all. They still claim that there is no issue at all, while the device is positively burning during usage.

Thank you, I'll look at this
Sadly, HP has produced quite a number of lemons. My son's HP laptop had the same issue (8 years ago) which could not be solved. He bought a new one after a year of troubles, and now the laptop is relegated to a glorified stand.

As others have said, before you buy a device, do a thorough research on the net. If there are any design/manufacturing problems, it will be there and discussed at length.

The only advice I can give, is that you document your case and approach a senior executive of HP international division. Maybe your case will be taken up.
Aroy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 11:40   #5968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post

Cut to the lockdown this year, I noticed the device being uncomfortably hot. As it happened we got two devices together. When being used simultaneously (it didn't happen for this long a period before) it was evident that my laptop was running way hotter. To add to the overheating (or maybe because of it) the battery was draining superfast, to the extent of me needing to charge after just 3h of browsing the web.

Usage, for a really long time, has been browser-related only. Heavy software was not in use. So in June the saga began. I lodged a complaint and a technician visited a month later. As always they pretended not to notice the issue. But since the issue was obvious to me, they replaced the battery and heat sink, assuring me that the issue won't recur.

But guess what? The problem existed still. Worse, the service centre closed the complaint on their end. I wrote a strongly worded mail to consumer care, and they raised a new case. This chain kept occuring too many times for me to keep count, just by the way.

In response to this, another technician came to visit. Since the laptop was just switched on in those previous visits, the technicians were able to escape since the laptop didn't hear up perceptively enough in the 5 minutes they spared. This time I was using the device for an hour before, and the technician was not able to place the device on his lap for even a few seconds : the device was THAT hot!!! I told him that I was experiencing the same everyday.

For instance I could see readings of over 40 degrees Celsius below the heat vent (it's on the side in my device).
Hi, you need temperature measurements on the D skin of the laptop. All vendors have skin temperature limits defined for A,B,C,D skins of the device. It will be in 40-50deg Max If I remember right. So 40deg below heat vent will be normal purely from a technical perspective.

Web browsing with WIFI enabled is one of the highly power hungry use case contrary to public perception. Battery life of 4-5 hours is quite normal with this. Also laptops are not clearly meant to be used on the laps. Many thin and light laptops have poor thermal designs and you can get fried up if you do this.
Old 9th December 2020, 11:45   #5969
Senior - BHPian

Things i can think of
1. Install HP coolsense - the latest version and try tweaking the settings there
2. set fan to always on in bios
3. Play around with System cooling policy in power management settings
4. check background processes to see if something is using excess CPU in the background
5. Update BIOS
6. take a vacuum cleaner and use it on the cooling vents in an attempt to suck out dust from inside
7. Worst case dismantle it and clean the heat sink (or get it done by some local service center under your supervision)
8. Get a cooling pad
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 11:46   #5970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Sadly, HP has produced quite a number of lemons. My son's HP laptop had the same issue (8 years ago) which could not be solved. He bought a new one after a year of troubles, and now the laptop is relegated to a glorified stand.

As others have said, before you buy a device, do a thorough research on the net. If there are any design/manufacturing problems, it will be there and discussed at length.

The only advice I can give, is that you document your case and approach a senior executive of HP international division. Maybe your case will be taken up.
I did search for as much information as I could get, and didn't find anything amiss
Had I known of problems I'd never have gone ahead with a HP at all. Since I am a student I got a fairly spec-ed one too, costing a pretty penny. So, simply throwing it away will mean throwing away 80k down the drain.

I have everything in my mail... The case IDs, the receipts given by the service centre, etc. I just don't know who else to contact or how else to approach the case. I have lodged cases via the following avenues :
1. HP toll free
2. HP WhatsApp support
3. HP International Twitter (India handle didn't have DM then)
4. HP's consumer care mail in their support page

I don't know how else to proceed, that's the issue now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks