Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2021, 01:15   #6286
BANNED

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Have ordered from https://laptopgallery.in/

Will update on the product once I receive it.
Hi I have the same laptop, i replaced the battery around 2.5 years ago with a larger 56wh-4p8ph battery. Would highly recommend doing that. Easily 4-5 hrs battery life after that. Although i have limited charging to 80 percent it still has better battery life than the new laptop came with!
Old 19th June 2021, 06:41   #6287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Hi I have the same laptop, i replaced the battery around 2.5 years ago with a larger 56wh-4p8ph battery. Would highly recommend doing that. Easily 4-5 hrs battery life after that. Although i have limited charging to 80 percent it still has better battery life than the new laptop came with!
Won't the higher capacity battery be of bigger size? There is no free space in the laptop for a bigger battery. How were you able to install it?
Old 19th June 2021, 09:03   #6288
BHPian

Quote:
Won't the higher capacity battery be of bigger size?
normally the shape would be such that it extends a bit outward and under the laptop, making its sitting on a table slightly different. Otherwise it fits into the same slot.
Old 19th June 2021, 10:19   #6289
BANNED

Quote:
Won't the higher capacity battery be of bigger size? There is no free space in the laptop for a bigger battery. How were you able to install it?
The bigger battery is also of the same size because the 42Wh battery actually has a hollow frame at one end. If you look closely you are able to make out that cells are not there at one of the ends.
Physical size of both batteries are same, do not worry. It is a perfect fit. They offered the higher battery in configs that needed more power but they are compatible with all and i have had no issues for years now. 6 + years old laptop now
Old 19th June 2021, 10:50   #6290
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
If budget is shared by school, she can go with an i5 processor but for most use cases, this one should suffice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I would suggest to go for HP laptop, they come with MS office installed.
Please go for i5/8GB/SSD/Intel Graphics configuration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I bought this about a week ago, but with an i5 processor and Intel Iris XE graphics card.
Thanks for your suggestions

Since my cousin has a budget of around 50k, it is becoming difficult to get a 15" laptop with i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD and MS Office.

Finally decided to go with a 14" screen and keep rest of the configuration same and found this to be the best value for money deal:
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08JMMHZLN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_PQ3KSYDMA3QF4KACG407?_enco ding=UTF8&psc=1

Note: similar configurations from Dell & HP cost 55-70k depending on the graphics card.

Any thoughts ?

Last edited by NPV : 19th June 2021 at 10:52.
Old 19th June 2021, 13:35   #6291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
normally the shape would be such that it extends a bit outward and under the laptop, making its sitting on a table slightly different. Otherwise it fits into the same slot.
This laptop has internal battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
The bigger battery is also of the same size because the 42Wh battery actually has a hollow frame at one end. If you look closely you are able to make out that cells are not there at one of the ends.
Physical size of both batteries are same, do not worry. It is a perfect fit. They offered the higher battery in configs that needed more power but they are compatible with all and i have had no issues for years now. 6 + years old laptop now
Since I have already ordered the battery, I cannot return it. Maybe next time.
Thanks for the info though.
Old 21st June 2021, 11:19   #6292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have ordered from https://laptopgallery.in/

Will update on the product once I receive it.
Got the battery delivered yesterday - Dell D2VF1 model. 3 Cell battery for a 6 year old Dell Inspiron 7548 laptop
Original Dell battery with sealed Dell packing. Manufactured Feb 2021.
Installed it and it was listed as original battery in the BIOS.
Overall, pretty good service
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 21:04   #6293

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Thanks for your suggestions
I was in a similar dilemma (budget constraint <50K) , finally went and purchased Dell Vostro 14 inch from flipkart. The primary usage is MS Office and teams along for my work from home and so far I am happy with the product.

https://www.flipkart.com/dell-vostro...9894175694f560

Last edited by ampere : 21st June 2021 at 21:06.
harish_K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 10:41   #6294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Finally decided to go with a 14" screen and keep rest of the configuration same and found this to be the best value for money deal:
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08JMMHZLN/...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Looks OK but the 1GHz base speed of the processor seems less.

If you still haven't bought the laptop, check out these options, lowest price at 53k.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 20:23   #6295
BHPian

Hello,

Need help with laptop issue. Am currently having a Lenovo Ideapad 320-15IKB D (80XL03AUIN) which is extremely slow. While buying it, had checked that it had a 16 GB RAM (was sufficient for our needs) and a 1 TB HDD. But what I missed out on was that it was a 5400 RPM HDD, something which I totally regret today. I somehow thought in all naivety that it would be a 7200 RPM one decent for usage (Was using an official laptop which had a 7200 RPM HDD).

I suspect that mostly it would be because of the HDD that the laptop is performing slowly and hence have thought of following options:
  1. Option I: Assuming that HDD is the culprit, get it replaced with an SSD. Spoke with a laptop repair guy and he said that if we have to replace HDD with SSD then it has to be SATA type only and a 512 GB one would cost me around 6500/- and additional 600 /- for the swap. Brand of SSD was Kingston.
  2. Option II: Sell this laptop and get a brand new one with SSD and maybe better config if that serves our requirements better (detailed below). In this case, how much can we expect to get from the second hand market for this model and what are the best options to list it on, OLX etc. or some other sites. I tried on cashify and it was giving a quote of approximately 18K which I felt was pretty less.

Requirements:
  • Casual browsing of the internet
  • Photo editing (basic, nothing heavy)
  • Maybe some light video editing for social media in the future
  • Ability to develop programs using IDE and Java

I suspect that Option I should make considerable improvements to the laptop and should be able to meet our requirements as well. Currently the laptop takes a lot of time for basic things as well like clicking on chrome and then it opening up and being usable. Before I go ahead and invest in the SSD, are there any other checks which could be done to assess if there is something else that is wrong with the laptop?

Seeks suggestions on the below:
Which option makes more sense?
In case Option I then is the SATA SSD the only option or we can go for the newer options like NVMe or M2? Am not sure how to figure out if the laptop supports these or not, without opening it up. Checking online led me to a website called as Crucial which suggests that only SATA would work.
Does the i5 7th gen seem good enough to get started with the above requirements or would fall short even if we replace HDD with SSD?

Many thanks for your help

Cheers,
S
sukhoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 20:29   #6296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
Does the i5 7th gen seem good enough to get started with the above requirements or would fall short even if we replace HDD with SSD?

Many thanks for your help

Cheers,
S
I had previously posted here that I upgraded a lenovo ideapad 320 with 256gb SSD here. (The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions) This one has i3 so considering you have i5 processor, difference will be huge. Go for option 1, you can later upgrade to high end laptop once things (read computer peripherals prices) return to normal. Just a question, does your laptop gives you BSOD error ? If it does then you should consider option 2 .
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 22:04   #6297
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

[*]Option I: Assuming that HDD is the culprit, get it replaced with an SSD. Spoke with a laptop repair guy and he said that if we have to replace HDD with SSD then it has to be SATA type only and a 512 GB one would cost me around 6500/- and additional 600 /- for the swap. Brand of SSD was Kingston.
[*]Option II: Sell this laptop and get a brand new one with SSD and maybe better config if that serves our requirements better (detailed below). In this case, how much can we expect to get from the second hand market for this model and what are the best options to list it on, OLX etc. or some other sites. I tried on cashify and it was giving a quote of approximately 18K which I felt was pretty less.[/list]
Requirements:
  • Casual browsing of the internet
  • Photo editing (basic, nothing heavy)
  • Maybe some light video editing for social media in the future
  • Ability to develop programs using IDE and Java
Option 1 is more economical and should be the priority. Selling this one will not fetch much value as electronic items suffer much worse depreciation than cars. Also buying a new one with high RAM and NVMe or Optane options will cost at-least 80-90K at a minimum in current market scenario. Not to forget the fees for MS Office which you are likely going to need. However, that will go on for another 5-6 years at-least which, depending upon your usage, may be worth it. Meaning if this Laptop is your primary machine and source of income then it is worth investing in a good machine.

Option 1 will give you good improvements. Also you can retain the current SATA HDD as an external backup as selling it will not give much value again.
However, if you plan to run multiple or heavy Java programs or have multiple IDEs open (I am assuming Eclipse which is heavy in general) then very soon this option too will slow down. If you do get into extensive video editing, then you may get forced to upgrade later.

Though given you stated objectives, Options 1 seems to be a safe option for now.

Last edited by sunilch : 24th June 2021 at 22:07.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 22:51   #6298
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

Need help with laptop issue. Am currently having a Lenovo Ideapad 320-15IKB...
S
Stick with Samsung SSD. I think there's not much of a price difference between Samsung and Kingston. If you don't have a NVME slot, SSD will work. It's pretty simple to swap out the HDD and replace it with the SSD. Plenty of youtube videos.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 20:23   #6299
BHPian

Hello,

Thank you so much for your responses. Option I is the way ahead, as recommended by everyone. I also felt, given the very low re-sale value being offered, that I am better off adding SSD to it and avoid the expense of 50 ~ 60K+ for a new one. Could use that to get a new monitor maybe or a mechanical keyboard and still save some monies #wishes, different discussion for a different thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I had previously posted here that I upgraded a lenovo ideapad 320 with 256gb SSD. This one has i3 so considering you have i5 processor, difference will be huge.
Went through your previous posts and understand that there is substantil improvement in performance. Were you able to get this done yourself at home (DIY)? Which brand of SSD you went with? Also, was there any other option like M2 or NVME possible on this when you opened it up? Sorry for the multiple questions but you seem to have done this on exact similar model of laptop so the questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Just a question, does your laptop gives you BSOD error ?
Regarding the BSOD, thankfully that has not yet happened on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Option 1 is more economical and should be the priority. Selling this one will not fetch much value as electronic items suffer much worse depreciation than cars.
I also was leaning towards the same conclusion.

Quote:
Meaning if this Laptop is your primary machine and source of income then it is worth investing in a good machine.
This is a personal laptop for home use. For work I have a company provided laptop (Dell Latitude series), a capable machine for my day job. The personal laptop would be more to try out some weekend projects or hackathons, nothing too heavy to begin with.

Quote:
Also you can retain the current SATA HDD as an external backup as selling it will not give much value again.

However, if you plan to run multiple or heavy Java programs or have multiple IDEs open (I am assuming Eclipse which is heavy in general) then very soon this option too will slow down. If you do get into extensive video editing, then you may get forced to upgrade later.
Yes, intend to buy a case for it and use it as an external back up drive. Any recommendations for a good case?

Eclipse is the IDE of choice though I am seeing a lot of folks recommending IntelliJ as well, but I digress. I would suspect that with 16 GB RAM, SSD and an i5, it should be able to hold fort for my needs. If it so happens that it feels slow still then will consider an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Stick with Samsung SSD. I think there's not much of a price difference between Samsung and Kingston. If you don't have a NVME slot, SSD will work. It's pretty simple to swap out the HDD and replace it with the SSD. Plenty of Youtube videos.
Thank you for the brand recommendation. I checked prices and am getting Samsung 870 EVO 500GB for INR 6,496/- on Amazon. 870 series seems to be the latest one and is recommended as well by some YouTubers whose videos I checked.

Based on videos that I went through replacing HDD with SSD is a fairly straightforward task. Unscrew and open the back, plug out the HDD, remove from casing, add new SSD to casing and plug it back in. That should get us sorted (hopefully) #SoundsEasy. I am thinking to take a stab at it as a DIY project. Luckily, have the 4 header screw driver as well at home (a set of various sizes, one of which works for the laptop )

The next step would be getting the OS onto the new SSD. A fresh install of Windows is what almost all videos recommended. So intend to do that. Since have never done that before, had a few follow up questions on that as well in terms of process to be followed. Found this video which explains the process and intend to follow it. Could the experts confirm that this video is good enough and does not miss out on anything in terms of steps, or point me to some other video/article in case it does. Recommend watching the video at 1.25 speed, to save some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Avoid Lenovo at any cost. And more onto that the Lenovo laptops come with tons of bloatware, mine even came with spyware which used to activate while browsing the banking websites.
Avoid Chinese origin laptops, mobiles, smart TVs or any device which connects to internet at any cost, you just can't trust them.
That sounds serious, a spyware installed in the laptop . Any suggestions / recommendations on what could be done to check our laptops for such malware and then remove it. As a fellow Lenovo laptop owner, any steps I can take to make it more secure would be helpful. How did you figure out that there is a spyware present?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I always suggest everyone to use Linux as long as you don't need any Windows specific software. Windows 10 needs atleast 3-4 GB of RAM on the first time boot whereas a decent Linux distro occupies barely 600MB to 1.2GB of RAM on the same system. All the resources are left free for the user to use in other tasks.
So I am doing a fresh install of Windows OS and then driver updates, after upgrading to an SSD. Any pointers on how to do a dual boot and what would be a good Linux distribution to try for beginner. I have always wanted to explore Linux for development (Java) and now might be a good time to try it out.

Cheers,
S
sukhoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 20:32   #6300
BHPian

Quote:
So I am doing a fresh install of Windows OS and then driver updates, after upgrading to an SSD. Any pointers on how to do a dual boot and what would be a good Linux distribution to try for beginner. I have always wanted to explore Linux for development (Java) and now might be a good time to try it out.

Cheers,
S
I suggest either mint or monjero. If you want to give benefit of doubt to Chinese, you can try Deepin Linux.
Jokes apart, it's really a beautiful distribution though.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th June 2021 at 22:44. Reason: Broken quotes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks