Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2020, 20:13   #5701
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Not bad, although still doesn't have a GPU. Have your budget/requirements changed since the last few posts.
Zero change in requirements! Just that this one is consistently out of stock since yesterday morning.
Old 30th July 2020, 07:12   #5702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
Is it good to buy a laptop with Pentium Silver N5000 processor? I don’t have much knowledge about this ! I need this laptop as for basic home use only !
This one performs good for it's wattage. Suited to browsing, FHD movies, some low demand applications, but then AMD's 3050U silver outperforms it.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 10:43   #5703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
How do i access TP Link Security Camera footage on my laptop?

Look forward to your inputs.
Unfortunately as of now No. I also own a C200, the firmware still not supports to transfer the video files from the card to phone or PC( PC do not have supported client software as now). Seems like either uses the app or do the tedious way of removing the card

Between, how is the camera? I just bought it a week ago, yet to install it in my new house.
starke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 13:01   #5704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Hi guys, looking for a future proof laptop

1. Acer
Team-BHP member typlo had bought this same Acer model (The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions) a month back. You can ask him about it's performance.

The price of this model went as low as 50/51K (with card discount) during the last Flipkart sale. So it would be a good idea to wait for Independence day sale.

Last edited by DaptChatterjee : 30th July 2020 at 13:03.
DaptChatterjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 14:50   #5705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
Unfortunately as of now No. I also own a C200, the firmware still not supports to transfer the video files from the card to phone or PC( PC do not have supported client software as now). Seems like either uses the app or do the tedious way of removing the card

Between, how is the camera? I just bought it a week ago, yet to install it in my new house.

The camera is great with many features. Easy way to forward and backward 10 seconds on the recorded footage would have been great. That's the only drawback i see. The slightly expensive Mi also does not have that feature, atleast that's what my limited research says. I need a couple more cameras for the house but the absence of this feature is stopping me from buying.

The whole point of the cc camera was that i save some time by doing my work. But, now i am spending more time trying to review the footage because of inability to drag to a specific time spot and forward, backward by say 10 seconds.

One workaround i figured was to have a RTSP live network stream on VLC player on laptop. Then turn on the record button on the VLC player. For this i need a dedicated laptop that stays on 24X7.
Old 30th July 2020, 15:19   #5706
BHPian

Folks, i have a query.

My laptop hardisk is making a click sound every now and then. I have been hearing this from quite some time (probably a year) but i dismissed it thinking it to be the dvd player tray that was trying to eject on it's own but failing. Stupid of me to think so.

I am reasonable sure now that the sound is coming from the hard disk. The problem now is this is my primary and work laptop as well. The data on it is very critical for me. What should be my next steps?
Old 30th July 2020, 17:11   #5707
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, i have a query.

My laptop hardisk is making a click sound every now and then.
Back up everything IMMEDIATELY! Your HDD is about to die.

To be safe, boot from a live Linux CD /USB and copy everything to external storage. Take the backed up files to another system and check if they are, in fact, readable. Then you can boot your system and copy the files again just to be doubly sure. Start with the most important files.

Next, replace your HDD, before you use system for any critical tasks.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 30th July 2020 at 18:14. Reason: Fixed quotes
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 17:23   #5708
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, i have a query.

My laptop hardisk is making a click sound every now and then. I have been hearing this from quite some time (probably a year) but i dismissed it thinking it to be the dvd player tray that was trying to eject on it's own but failing. Stupid of me to think so.

I am reasonable sure now that the sound is coming from the hard disk. The problem now is this is my primary and work laptop as well. The data on it is very critical for me. What should be my next steps?
Considering my previous experience in losing some critical data in the past, the first thing you should do is to get a portable HDD and copy all the data to it. Even if you buy or repair (which is not at all suggested ) always better to have a backup of all your data.

Coming to the sound, there is a magnetic reader arm inside the HDD and as time passes, the arms stepper motor wears out and makes a similar tik tik sound from it. Generally, it is not a big concern, but if the arm fails, you have to get help from a technician to get the data back.

Quote:
The camera is great with many features. Easy way to forward and backward 10 seconds on the recorded footage would have been great. That's the only drawback i see. The slightly expensive Mi also does not have that feature, atleast that's what my limited research says. I need a couple more cameras for the house but the absence of this feature is stopping me from buying.

One workaround i figured was to have a RTSP live network stream on VLC player on laptop. Then turn on the record button on the VLC player. For this i need a dedicated laptop that stays on 24X7.
I actually bought 3 different cameras for my new house,

1.Srihome SH020 - +Humanoid tracking was the only reason to go for it, where the camera rotates horizontally when a human is detected.
-Poor quality feels so much of Chinese in the app itself and buggy too.

2.TAPO C200 - Just bought it, overall good impression as of now, the app is so far ahead when compared to Srihome, no niggles as of now.

3. Mi home 360 - Overpriced and less user-friendly when compared to TAPO, it also sometimes loses connection to wifi and restarts automatically.

Still, I'm looking for a sub 5k camera in which I can download the video over wifi and control much better.

In between, the C200 supports RTSP ? if so, how do we get to use it?
starke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 17:35   #5709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post

In between, the C200 supports RTSP ? if so, how do we get to use it?
Pretty simple. Could get it up and running in less than 2 minutes.
https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2680/

I could not quite understand the iSpy part. If you could figure out anything let me know.

Last edited by bharatbits : 30th July 2020 at 17:37.
Old 31st July 2020, 07:19   #5710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Chromebooks have evolved decent enough to do your day to day jobs. Mostly with google ecosystem for the tasks you have specified with lot of cloud support. But they are not exactly cheap as one would expect.

Due to ongoing crisis, prices of laptops have been jacked up by up to 30% and still many models are out of stock. The manufacturing constraints of Intel is not helping and supply is lagging demand by huge margin.
I did notice that it is not particularly cheap. Just the idea that the OS is always up to date and secure made me consider them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
If you have a Samsung phone, you could try Samsung Dex. Seems better than running Android on Windows. While you can run Dex on a MacOS, Windows 7 or 10 laptop, I think Dex will work well with a (touch screen preferred) monitor, a USB to HDMI adapter, a keyboard and mouse - minimal investment. Worth checking out. Disclaimer - I have used it only with a Windows 10 laptop and have just used it a couple of times.
Yeah. I did think about DEX owing to the larger screen format but 1) I don't use a Samsung phone 2) it will make me stick to Samsung which I'm not very keen on and 3) It doesn't address all my requirement- although the phone is my personal device, the moment I added work email to phone, the data is being controlled by my IT. Big headache. Hence I wanted a divide between pvt and work devices.

As of now, I have chosen to park this decision for a bit. Although I am not familiar with Mac OS, I will try to use my Wife's laptop and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice though.
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 13:55   #5711
BHPian

Suggest a good laptop for upto Rs. 60K. Primary uses

Creative writing / presentations
Long work hours - So prefer it to be comfortable to the eyes
A good battery
Usb "C" based charger
Processor preferably i5 or Ryzen (Not sure of model)
8 GB Ram with Option to upgrade
1 TB HDD or a SSD based one
Old 31st July 2020, 14:06   #5712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Yeah. I did think about DEX owing to the larger screen format but 1) I don't use a Samsung phone 2) it will make me stick to Samsung which I'm not very keen on and 3) It doesn't address all my requirement.
Just a word of caution, not all Samsung phones support Dex. Make sure you check for specific model, in case you consider taking a dive based on Dex.
ast.ggn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 15:28   #5713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Just a word of caution, not all Samsung phones support Dex. Make sure you check for specific model, in case you consider taking a dive based on Dex.
There is something called Sentio, which supposedly does something similar for any Android phone. I have not tried it out, though. I mentioned Dex because I was trying to run various Android players on Windows and I found them full of ads and very resource intensive. Dex mirrors your phone screen and does quite a bit more to give the user a better experience on a larger screen. I was impressed when I discovered it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sktop&hl=en_IN
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 19:28   #5714
BHPian

If you don't want a touchscreen, I would suggest the Acer Swift 3 (14inch Display). Purchased this a few months before for my friend. Amazing for its price. We bought it for ~45K during sale with 10% Credit card EMI Discount offer.

Its currently prices at 52K which is on the verge of being overpricing IMHO.

Specs:

Display: Full HD 14" with a very high Display area to size ratio i.e. it has very thin Bezels. Good for watching videos, productivity tasks & light gaming. Not highly colour accurate. So, not for Photo/video editing if you care about color accuracy.

Build: Metal Build [Aluminium alloy] - Looks really premium but on closer inspection build quality could have been better. Automotive equivalent would be Maruti sheet metal. The thickness is is definitely less to conserve weight and obviously cost. Don't expect MacBook like build.

Processor: Core i5 [8th Gen]

Graphics: Nvidia MX250

Battery: 51Wh - Which is AMAZING for the price. Provides excellent battery life on light use (~ 7-8 Hrs at least) with a 65W Charger.

Sound: Downward firing speakers which is decent.

Performance: Decent overall and very good for the price. Even though you have the MX 250 don't expect to game too much owing to the thin metal chasis that can become warm under heavy use.

Please note that Acer provides a 3rd Party Charger (LITEON brand, if I remember it right) with the Laptop and not an Acer Branded one.

Got to save cost wherever possible.

Newer version of Acer Swift 3 ( with 10th Gen Core i5) is available now for around Rs.65,000
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 21:17   #5715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Suggest a good laptop for upto Rs. 60K. Primary uses

Creative writing / presentations
Long work hours - So prefer it to be comfortable to the eyes
A good battery
Usb "C" based charger
Processor preferably i5 or Ryzen (Not sure of model)
8 GB Ram with Option to upgrade
1 TB HDD or a SSD based one
You probably want to look at something with a good, full-sized keyboard and at least a 15 inch screen. Because your processing requirements are quite low, you don't need to spend anywhere close to 60k. My recommendation:- https://amzn.to/2CWIb2x . More than enough for your needs once you add an additional 8GB of RAM.

If you're spending above 60k, it is currently not worth buying anything that doesn't come with a 7nm Ryzen 4000 series CPU. These typically start at 65k onwards.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed