Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:56   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Hi Tsk,
I do not agree to this.SNR does not play any role between the modem and the router.SNR comes into picture only between the modem and the central office(Airtel DSLAM in this case).Once the line is sync-ed between the modem and the airtel office there is no way that the line can drop between the router and the modem

Sorry mods for the consequtive post.Will take care henceforth.
@Alter_EGO. Airtel provides the ADSL router. There is no separate router and modem. Its one unit.
In case of the OP, his link light is going off after some time, which means ADSL connection is dropping.
If you look at his log, it also says ADSL1 down.

So all he has to do is check the SNR, and if its below 18 downstream/7 upstream, the link will not stay stable.
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:31   #17
BHPian

I called em up and they've promised to send a technician over with a new router to replace the existing one, if necessary.

Meanwhile, I am suddenly getting twice the regular speed on my Airtel home connection. A case of making the customer happy and pissed off at the same time?

Last edited by khan75 : 22nd December 2009 at 13:32.
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
@Alter_EGO. Airtel provides the ADSL router. There is no separate router and modem. Its one unit.
In case of the OP, his link light is going off after some time, which means ADSL connection is dropping.
If you look at his log, it also says ADSL1 down.

So all he has to do is check the SNR, and if its below 18 downstream/7 upstream, the link will not stay stable.
Oh.I was not aware of the router and the modem being a single unit for Airtel ISP.I rest my case then.
Old 22nd December 2009, 15:12   #19
BHPian

Yeah Router and modem can be one unit.. all depends on the config of the box these days.
tsk is right, ADSL is very sensitive to noise in the channel. So noise can be an issue too.
Old 25th December 2009, 01:23   #20
BHPian

The issue's been resolved. Turns out there was a problem with the modem/router.

Thanks to all who helped.
Old 3rd February 2012, 04:13   #21
BHPian

Re: A problem with my ADSL router

I had the same issue and the logs from the Beetel 450TC router showed similar lines.

I changed my modem and still had the same issue with connection droping every 10 mins.

Airtel folks came and could not fix it, finally I logged a second complaint and a knowledgeable engineer called Lokesh came.

It was a line problem and he fixed it. There was high amount of noise on the line. Check the phone line to see if there is any noise.
Old 8th February 2012, 12:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

If I may continue on this thread instead of opening another thread.

I too am facing problems with internet at home. I have BSNL internet at home and the problem is that the internet runs for a few minutes and then it stops and then again starts after refreshing the page or after "repairing" the connection.

This happens both, when I connect with my laptop or if I connect with phone

Initially the problem was that the PC connecting intermittently with the wi-fi router, so we had the router changed. Now the pc/phone remains connected with the router but the internet is a problem. Keeps coming and going.

We have asked BSNL technicians many times to come, but for them all is ok. But sadly it is not.

Is it still the router or the telephone line?

Anything that can be done to solve the issue from my side??

Regards

EDIT: Just realised there is a separate thread for BSNL broadband issues so cross posting in that thread as well!!

Last edited by deky : 8th February 2012 at 12:16.
Old 8th February 2012, 13:13   #23
Team-BHP Support

You can check the line quality by logging into the modem. How to is available in here and in google search, in a hurry to type out details. Sorry
Old 8th February 2012, 13:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You can check the line quality by logging into the modem. How to is available in here and in google search, in a hurry to type out details. Sorry
Thanks for your quick response Jaggu. Much appreciated

Will go home and check by logging in the modem as suggested by you

I think these are the steps as mentioned by Tanveer earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Go to router settings, device info, statistics, ADSL.
There you have numbers for SNR.
Normally if SNR is low, either the splitter is kaput, or line has a noise issue.
this means your connection will keep dropping now and then
Thanks and regards
Old 8th February 2012, 17:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

The following is the system settings displayed after removing parallel connections before the splitter and getting the line directly in the splitter. The internet is now running fine, but I still notice that the internet drops and has to be repaired if i dont use it for 4-5 mnts

Quote:
System Information Model Name AN1020-21 Firmware Version 10.4.3.13 Hardware Version Solos 4615 RD / Solos 461x CSP v1.0 System Up time 02:16:19s
Internet Connection DSL Status Connected Downstream Data Rate 5119 kbps Upstream Data Rate 509 kbps DNS Primary 218.248.245.1 DNS Secondary 218.248.255.194 Max Att Downstream Rate 20732 kbps Max Att Upstream Rate 588 kbps SNR (Downstream) 30.40 dB SNR (Upstream) 30.5 dB Line Attentuation(Downstream) 21.0 dB Line Attentuation(Upstream) 5.5 dB Connected Standard ADSL2+ Gateway IP 0.0.0.0
PVC Name WAN IP Address bridge_0_32
- bridge_0_100
- bridge_8_35
- bridge_8_81
- bridge_14_34
- bridge_1_41
- bb
Wireless Settings Status Enable SSID BSNL_AP Channel 3 Security WPA
LAN Port Mac Address 00:25:5E:52:E8:EA IP Address 192.168.1.1 DHCP server On Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Voice Status Enabled Registration status Failed Phone Numbers
Channel 1 1234
Sorry i do not have screen capture software at home hence copying and pasting
Old 8th February 2012, 17:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

If you have a PC at home then you have screen capture on it by default. Just go to the screen that you want to capture and press the Print screen button on the keyboard. Open Paint and then just Ctrl+V over there. Crop the image to show only relevant details.

One more thing to try with the router/modem. Connect the main telephone cable coming from the service provider directly to the modem directly and check if that solves your problem. If it does then it means there is a problem with the splitter.

Last edited by vikram_d : 8th February 2012 at 17:50.
Old 8th February 2012, 18:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
If you have a PC at home then you have screen capture on it by default. Just go to the screen that you want to capture and press the Print screen button on the keyboard. Open Paint and then just Ctrl+V over there. Crop the image to show only relevant details.

One more thing to try with the router/modem. Connect the main telephone cable coming from the service provider directly to the modem directly and check if that solves your problem. If it does then it means there is a problem with the splitter.
Thanks for the tip on screen capture Vikram!! I tried it works

Ok, lemme try that. Lemme get the line directly into the modem and see if that works.

BTW, if the splitter is spoilt, I have a spare splitter (left behind by airtel ppl) will that work on a BSNL line?? are all splitters irrespective of make are the same??

regards
Old 8th February 2012, 18:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Thanks for the tip on screen capture Vikram!! I tried it works

Ok, lemme try that. Lemme get the line directly into the modem and see if that works.

BTW, if the splitter is spoilt, I have a spare splitter (left behind by airtel ppl) will that work on a BSNL line?? are all splitters irrespective of make are the same??

regards
Yes all splitters are the same. You can try using the spare splitter and check if that solves your problem.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 12:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Yes all splitters are the same. You can try using the spare splitter and check if that solves your problem.
I tried eliminating the splitter, and putting the line directly in the modem (no telephone) but it does not work. Internet still stops after a few minutes, we repair it and then works and again stops.

Tried using a different splitter. The same problem :(

Could it be the laptop? I doubt it as the laptop works absolutely fine on Airtel when I get it to office!!
Old 9th February 2012, 12:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
I tried eliminating the splitter, and putting the line directly in the modem (no telephone) but it does not work. Internet still stops after a few minutes, we repair it and then works and again stops.

Tried using a different splitter. The same problem :(

Could it be the laptop? I doubt it as the laptop works absolutely fine on Airtel when I get it to office!!
If all other causes have been eliminated then it can only mean two things. One is that the modem has a problem but this is highly unlikely. Second is that the line itself has a problem. I would recommend you place a complain again with customer care and get everything checked thoroughly. You will have to make the technicians see the problem first hand or else they will just keep saying that all is ok.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks