Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:16   #46
Team-BHP Support

Okay finally after 3 months, even after "coating" by samsung service center, gas has leaked again.
Since its one week over 3 months, I will have to pay 1200. But I decided not to. The AC is 5 years old and its costing money every few months.
So I am in the market for a new AC. spoke to a few shops, and also to people around who have multiple AC.
PEople with Carrier seem to be the happiest, followed by Hitachi and then Voltas.
LG and samsung owners curse the companies. A friend has multiple ACs, and while their Carrier units keep going on and on, LG keeps leaking gas now and then.
So it looks like Samsung and LG have low quality coils to keep cost low, and do not invest in any anti corrosive coating, and as long as you use in non-polluted areas, you should be fine.
So I am thinking 2 star Carrier or 3 star voltas, they cost the same!
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:37   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So I am thinking 2 star Carrier or 3 star voltas, they cost the same!
I understand Carrier is more heavy-duty than Voltas. Or how about a locally assembled one, one of those "Napoleon kits" with a heavier gauge set of pipes? My AC guy says these last better in your kind of situation.
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:43   #48
Team-BHP Support

Lets see, I am also exploring getting the compressor and coils of my samsung AC replaced with Hitachi ones, and getting an effectively new AC for half the price!
Old 4th July 2010, 06:54   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Lets see, I am also exploring getting the compressor and coils of my samsung AC replaced with Hitachi ones, and getting an effectively new AC for half the price!
My 2 cents

I don't think you require any replacement. You actually require a competent third party(Non Samsung) AC mechanic, who can properly tighten leak free joints.
Still to be on safer side you can get coils replaced but compressor replacement is absolutely not required.

cheers
Old 4th July 2010, 12:52   #50
Team-BHP Support

No third party mechanic(called up a few) is ready to touch samsung. They say that in 5 years old samsung AC, compressor can pack any time, and they do not want to take the risk.
I guess I will go for the exchange scheme, and treat this as a "failed" investment
Old 4th July 2010, 17:11   #51
BHPian

iwe have 10 year old LG window a/c and never ever faced a recharge in its life
Old 4th July 2010, 20:40   #52
Team-BHP Support

Okay we finally went for Onida 2*. It has the same internals as the voltas, but exchange scheme on onida is better.
Even the carrier dealer told us that due to our location, 5 years is the max life of any AC. So go for a cheaper brand.
According to him, onida/Voltas will last more than Samsung, which is the worst.
Old 24th July 2010, 21:55   #53

I faced a similar issue with Samsung 1.5 Ton Window AC. I live in east delhi and in March when the AC was not cooling the service engineer came and recommended gas recharge after about a month again the gas leaked and they took it back to their service and repaired free of cost. The quality of repairs done by Samsung service centre seems very mediocre
Old 4th May 2011, 11:44   #54
BHPian

Re: AC gas recharge, big scam?

Got my 1.5 Ton Hitachi AC ( It is 4 years old) serviced few weeks back during Hitachi's free AC service camp.
It worked fine for sometime and now the cooling has reduced. Not sure if it is low gas issue or something else.
I have asked them to come and check. The charges they mentioned are 1500/- for gas refill.
Old 4th May 2011, 11:49   #55
BANNED

I am not sure whether I wrote here or not, avoid ACs with aluminium condensers, esp. in coastal areas. My son has a Samsung split in Manipal, was recharged after a year and a half. Lost refrigerant again. The mechanic found multiple pinholes in the condenser, so had to be replaced. He was unable to find a copper replacement.
Old 4th May 2011, 12:27   #56
Senior - BHPian

I have a 1 ton Samsung window unit, bought in 2007. Very effective for my ground floor bedroom (10 X 12). I clean the filter once in two weeks, and call a technician every February for an annual service when it comes out of a three month hibernation. No gas recharge till date. It needs absolutely no other care.

I liked it so much that I bought a 1 ton split unit very recently. A lot of people I know have Samsung / LG units in their homes with nary a problem for years. And Chennai is a coastal area.

@sgiitk
I have seen the insides of the window unit when it is pulled out for service. The condenser coils/pipes are all copper, not aluminium.
Old 5th May 2011, 12:52   #57
BHPian

My 5 year old, 2Ton LG split A/C started having low gas problems since last year. I got the gas topped up (Under AMC) last year & the gas is still low this season. There were no leaks found earlier. However, I suspect the Brass Valves on outer unit to be leaking.

There is oily residue as seen in pic. Please advise whether I should change the whole piping or if there's a way to plug this leak at the valve.
AC gas recharge, big scam?-05052011119.jpg
Old 5th May 2011, 15:37   #58
BANNED

@Gansan; May be they changed to Alum. later, or it is only for spliits. In any case I know what I am not buying. Just remembered my brother-in-law in Gwalior has a Sammy Window. After about 7 years the gas leaked out (pinhiles in capillaries) so he had new capillaries put in the the gas recharged. The condenser was copper here also. Now when I buy I will check.
Old 5th May 2011, 16:46   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
My 5 year old, 2Ton LG split A/C started having low gas problems since last year. I got the gas topped up (Under AMC) last year & the gas is still low this season. There were no leaks found earlier. However, I suspect the Brass Valves on outer unit to be leaking.

There is oily residue as seen in pic. Please advise whether I should change the whole piping or if there's a way to plug this leak at the valve.
Attachment 540352

I have the same problem in my 3 year old Lg @ ton split AC.

My mechanic says that only the valve will be replaced & the gas recharged.

Valve will be about 500 or so (need to reconfirm though)

Hope this helps!
car_crazy1400 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 16:50   #60
Senior - BHPian

Our 5 year old Samsung AC is doing well. Never had any problems with it. This is a 1* ton Split AC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks