Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2012, 09:29   #526
BHPian

Re: iPad-ed !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Hello.
I want to pick up an ipad in the next couple of days.It will most probably be between the iPad 2 16gb wifi+3G model and the new iPad 16gb wifi+cellular.I live in delhi-gurgaon.

What is the best price i can get? Also, I'm in second year college. Am I elligible for any apple student discount, if yes how much?

Otherwise my mom is in singapore right now, Will it make more sense to buy it from there?

The next thing is, i have heard that 16gb for a phone or ipod might be sufficient but not so in case of an ipad. Is that true?

Thanks alot in advance
Guys. I got a white iPad 2 16gb 3G from singapore. Used it for a day, I'm pretty happy Got a good deal.It worked out to 27.5k .
Also, i checked out, the student discount isn't available on the iPad range. Its for the macbooks. (~6-7%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRom View Post
My iPad II 's 32GB is already full with free apps without any film download. I personally recommend the max capacity.
Love
Rom
Thanks DrRom. The 16gb seems good enough for me for the time being. Plus the price difference was quite a bit.Its mainly for browsing at home or on the move on 3g. I'm not so much into the app bit. Ive been using a ipod touch for a while now and the novelty of apps wore off, baring a few apps and some games.
Old 13th August 2012, 14:15   #527
Senior - BHPian

I have a more generic question on tablets, Not that i am anti apple, but somehow i fail to connect with them. iPhone, iPod and others. This time i need to buy a tablet. Would someone who are gone through the whole nine yards of choosing one suggest which one would be good. An android or a iPad. Some of the problems i see are.
  • iPad mostly dependent on iTunes, i somehow dislike that.
  • Are enough free games available on iPad?
  • Does it play all sorts of Videos, i believe VLC player now works on iPad.
  • Whats the difference between iPad2 and iPad3?
  • Finally, Samsung used to have good tablets, looks like they are stopping that range as most are older models with LCD display.
Old 13th August 2012, 21:52   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I have a more generic question on tablets, Not that i am anti apple, but somehow i fail to connect with them. iPhone, iPod and others. This time i need to buy a tablet. Would someone who are gone through the whole nine yards of choosing one suggest which one would be good. An android or a iPad. Some of the problems i see are.
  • Finally, Samsung used to have good tablets, looks like they are stopping that range as most are older models with LCD display.

hello.
I'l try to break it down for you.
What is your intended use for a tablet?
1. Yes it is dependent on itunes to an extent.For syncing music,movies, photos and to create back up.I got an ipad yesterday. I set it up this morning without connecting to itunes. You can set up everything mails, youtube accounts,facebook,twitter apple id and start getting apps almost immediately. Its pretty functional that way.
Itunes,its just the first couple of days, maybe a week max to figure out how itunes works. I've been using itunes since 2006, For an ipod video, an ipod classic and now a shuffle and an ipod touch. I don't think I'l ever go to anything other than itunes for my music. In my eyes its the best for media except video playback.

2. There are a boat load of apps on the apple store. They are extremely addictive and intuitive. Some of the good ones aren't free, but its a couple of dollars. I'm open to spending 5-10$ a month on apps(Read games, the need for speeds mainly which are'nt free). I knew about this bit before buying it and i was prepared.

3. You need to have videos in the mp4 format to play through the preloaded "videos" icon on the home scree. Mp4 conversion is a pain. Need'ed to do it earlier on for the ipod touch.Else, Vlc is there. Its really slick. Its great for tv shows and movies and music videos. It plays most of the popular formats.

4. The main difference between the new ipad and the ipad2 is a 5mp camera, a improved version of the A5 processor , double the resolution. on the flipside its marginally heavier by 50 grams and its a wee bit thicker. But you can live with it. Battery life for both is the same. Otherwise theres no way to tell them apart side by side. They are identical. Unless you turn it on you can tell my the screen res. And the new ipad is 6grand more versus the ipad2 in the 16gb guise. Again, it may or may not be worth it depending on your intended usage. Also,I should tell youthe ipad 2's camera is awful, it makes the blackberry curve's camera look like a dslr.

5. Just for the heck of it I looked at the samsung galaxy tab 2 p5100. It has more ram than the ipad2. It has expandable memory.A better camera. But it lacked the 3G option and on top of that it was priced almost the same as the ipad.
Apple’s restricted systems are generally associated with being more stable and less prone to hardware or software and operating system/app incompatibilities and mishaps, than less restricted open ended systems like android. But if you value flexibility, configurability, and want to have a more personalized gadget, then you should consider android.

Also, The way i see it. A tablet can't completely replace a laptop. So it'l probably be idle alot and just used for casual browsing after a while. why not consider a galaxy note or a galaxy s3? you get both worlds? u can use as a phone and a tab and run android. Just an idea!

But as far as ipad and galaxy tab, I would whole heartedly recommend getting an iPad.

Cheers.
Old 16th August 2012, 12:59   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
hello.

1. Yes it is dependent on itunes to an extent.For syncing music,movies, photos and to create back up.I got an ipad yesterday. I set it up this morning without connecting to itunes... SNIP...
3. You need to have videos in the mp4 format to play through the preloaded "videos" icon on the home scree. Mp4 conversion is a pain. Need'ed to do it earlier on for the ipod touch.Else, Vlc is there. Its really slick. Its great for tv shows and movies and music videos. It plays most of the popular formats.
I took the plunge a few days back and got a 32 gb "New" iPad. Can you tell me how I can get non mp4 videos to the ipad? I briefly tried using the iTunes installed on my Windows PC and selected the import option. But it did not show anything other than the mp4 files.
Old 16th August 2012, 21:49   #530
Senior - BHPian

Use an App like Flexplayer
Old 17th August 2012, 18:46   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Thanks. Didnt know how to get the movies into the ipad to do that. Did some googling and I think I should be able to try this out once I reach home tonight.
Old 17th August 2012, 21:13   #532
BANNED

Got a gift of a 64GB iPad 2 from my girl friend sometime back

Although I have a Macbook Pro, iPad2, iPhone etc, Apple products leave you feeling that you made a big mistake in plunging for them. The only USP is the image factor. My new Macbook Pro started crashing within 2 months of buying it and I had to use connections to have it replaced under warranty. Copyrighted DVD's don't run unless you change the region and you can do this only 5 times. The earlier Mac's circumvented this through VLC but in the new ones, even this doesn't work. However, all pirated DVD's will work!!! The next time around, I don't think it would be Apple for me.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 17th August 2012 at 21:18.
Old 31st August 2012, 08:27   #533
BHPian

Has anyone did a DIY in changing the digitizer for their iPad 2? Exactly after one year of my purchase, we dropped the iPad and the digitizer got smashed on their corners. Couple of minor dents. Called up Apple and they quoted minimum of 15K for a replacement. Thinking of sourcing the digitizer online for 2-3k and DIY

Any help?
Old 31st August 2012, 08:55   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Thinking of sourcing the digitizer online for 2-3k and DIY
You might get used ones for that price. Just in case if you get one, any iphone repair shop would be able to fix it.

Street price in India of a phone's digitizer would cost around 4~5K. So iPad would cost even more.

PS: If you can source from China you might get new one in the price you mentioned.
Old 31st August 2012, 12:55   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
You might get used ones for that price. Just in case if you get one, any iphone repair shop would be able to fix it.

Street price in India of a phone's digitizer would cost around 4~5K. So iPad would cost even more.

PS: If you can source from China you might get new one in the price you mentioned.
But in eBay I can find new ones in that price range. You mean they must be used ones? Can we not do it? With this eBay package, we get the tools for doing it too. I have seen some youtube videos and the job looks damn easy, need some patience and precision.
Old 31st August 2012, 15:04   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Pros of iPad series
- Screams High Quality and class, and it is just that. Hands down the best fluid bug free OS. Smooth Graphics, Smooth transition from one app to the other. No delays what so ever.
- If it says 10hours battery life... it gives you exactly that. No hidden usage clauses.
- iPad 2 - Lighter and Better Display
- iPad 3 - Slightly thicker and heavier than iPad 2, but Stunning Display available in the market. Makes all the color pop!
- Every other advantages of having better apps, etc etc...

Cons of iPad
- 10inches of non-widescreen display. You will have thick black bars on every other movie you see.
- Have to JB to transfer files directly to the OS.
- No expandable memory - They do have adapters to connect USBs or Memory Sticks.
- Gets slightly heavy on you after a few minutes of usage.
- Even though it has a sleek design, you will need a hefty Leather case to protect it from any drops. So you can barely enjoy the thin sleek design.
- Be very careful with the screen. Slight drop and it shatters. Will cost around Rs12-15K for a replacement, and no guarantees it would be fit well.

I have used iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 3, Samsung 7, Samsung 10.1 and now Nexus 7. Android tablets - Battery life varies based on usage. You end up getting barely 4-5hrs of continuous usage. If you are looking to watch a couple of movies in the airport and but don't want to keep charging it... get an iPad.
The other problem I have had with Android ICS tablets, getting from point A to point B may not be as smooth when you have like 5-10 apps running in the background. iPad... no worries. Gets you anywhere smooth.

Despite of all the advantages of an iPad, for me, I would say Nexus 7 is the one that fits my use the best. It has a quad core processor that is really snappy and fluid. It gets to where I want with ease without much errors. It does not have a rear camera or card slot, but who cares. There are alternatives. I can hold it in one hand without stressing my wrist out. Browsing, Watching Movies, Checking emails, Chat, Games, Video Calls.... everything you can do with a tablet... works well on this.
You do not have to rely on any third party software to transfer files. You can transfer any file directly as you do to a storage card.
You can play 1080p files directly, or stream using Wifi from your PC.
Audio volume isn't the best, but still... I mostly use headphones in public places.

Disclaimer: Not wanting to get into any Android/iOS debates. Just putting forward my 2 cents to this topic .
Old 31st August 2012, 16:31   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post

Thanks for the tip Khanak. Works well on my New ipad.

Can you recommend a similar app for music and photos?
One issue i face with photos is that once i load something from itunes, i cannot delete something without again connecting itunes. Is there a way for this?
Old 31st August 2012, 17:22   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Thanks for the tip Khanak. Works well on my New ipad.

Can you recommend a similar app for music and photos?
One issue i face with photos is that once i load something from itunes, i cannot delete something without again connecting itunes. Is there a way for this?
Is there anything wrong with the default music and photo app? They seem to work OK for me.

I haven't really tried deleting songs but I sync my iPad with my computer over Wifi and organize my music from my computer.
Old 31st August 2012, 17:49   #539
BHPian

I got the New iPad 32 GB for wifey today. She had an iPod Touch 4G earlier. I had taken a backup of the iPod Touch. Can I restore the backup on the iPad ??
Old 31st August 2012, 19:36   #540
Senior - BHPian

The new Ipad seems to heat up a lot. Infact while multitasking, it's too uncomfortable to hold.
Also the battery when new used to last for 5-7 days, now in 2 months it needs to be charged every 1-2 days even though usage has reduced.
Please comment.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks