Team-BHP - Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/83859-android-thread-phones-apps-mods-1869.html)

Hey guys can you recommend me a good screen protector for Note 8? I have a Spigen rugged back cover and none of the tempered glass can be fitted with the back cover . And the Spigen screen protector, which is supposed to be case friendly is also not available in India.

Just use any and trim the edges very slightly so that the screen protector is not over lapping the phone case.
My wife has the spigen on her note 8 and the screen protector works fine after trimming.

And how do i trim the tempered glass?

Since I need a phone pretty desparately with the battery on my Pixel 1 giving up, I was looking at Android One phones because I need the latest security patches to access corporate email account.

It seems Nokia is doing a great job with the updates. So, I am looking at Nokia phones pretty seriously. Within 15K, the Nokia 6.1 plus looks absolutely gorgeous and is compact enough for one handed use. So, I will probably go with that. If HMD launches the Nokia 7.1 pretty soon, I would like to consider that as well provided its priced within 20K. The NOkia 7.1 is similar to the 6.1 plus apart from a better HDR10 display and dual pixel camera.

I also looked at the XIaomi MI A2. Somehow, I did not like the build quality of the phone and it looks like design is very boring/average. It does come with a better processor and camera though. The main reason I will not be going with this phone is the poor battery life. The Nokia 6.1 plus is not a battery monster but it will probably give 20% more battery life than the MI A2 due to smaller screen, slower processor etc.
Also, the Nokia comes with an expandable storage and headphone jack, both of which are missing on the MI A2. I don't know why Xiaomi made those design choices as the MI A2 is not trying to achieve a super slim or some breakthrough design or water resistance.

I think Google did a smart move with Android one which opens up a whole lot of budget options for people like me who need and appreciate regular security and OS updates.
Pixel 3 is ruled out - I can't quite justify myself to buy another flagship phone when the last one did not even last 1.5 years.

P.S - I am still looking at the Pixel 2XL and might go for it if I get a very good deal in the Flipkart Diwali sale.

I am in a similar situation looking for a phone to replace my ageing Nexus 6 with battery gradually going down after close to 4 years. Pixel 3 got me interested, but the price is a bummer!

At the moment, I'm considering Pixel 2 XL or Oneplus 6T that are priced above 30K or an android one phone like Nokia 7.1 which probably should be priced below 30K.

Although a bit skeptical about data security, I have been a very satisfied user of Redmi series of phones. The MIUI gives me a plethora of options to customise the look and operations of the handset. Many people dislike this extra skin over the stock Android but one can't gainsay the fact that it offers features that even very expensive phones don't.

On my Redmi Note 4, I was using the volume button for clicking photos till now. Today, I serendipitously discovered that I can do the same by touching the fingerprint sensor too. A handy feature, I must say.

I think Nokia will be a force to reckon with in the following years as they are offering a nice clean Android with regular updates, together with great design and excellent build quality.

The Nokia 6.1 plus and the Nokia 7 were very good mid-range phones.
The newly released Nokia 7.1 seems to be a good one as well. I am also looking forward to the Nokia X7 which was released in China recently and might release in India as 8.1 in November. It has the new Snapdragon 710 chipset which is more powerful and power efficient than the 660. Also, the camera in this is same as the flagship Nokia 8 Sirocco -https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_7_1_p...a_x7)-9342.php
I believe the flagship phones are not worth the money. So, Oneplus and Nokia are good options for people looking for a nice and clean Android experience.

PLanning to purchase a phone in the upcoming Diwali sale. It's going to be between Oneplus 6T and Pixel 2XL which are available at similar price.

I am leaning towards Pixel 2XL because of camera, water resistance and regular updates. Oneplus has faster processor and higher RAM but I am not sure the performance difference will be perceptible to me. Also, unlimited Google photos storage in Pixel offsets the higher storage of Oneplus. On top of that, Pixel 2XL have 2 year warranty and will get most of the new camera features available in Pixel 3.

Any last min suggestions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiragM (Post 4476845)
I am looking to replace my Moto G4 Plus this festive season. Budget is around 15,000.

Thanks for the responses.

I got the MI A2 for 15k during the Amazon sale :)

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20181030_180842043.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 4487697)
PLanning to purchase a phone in the upcoming Diwali sale. It's going to be between Oneplus 6T and Pixel 2XL which are available at similar price.

I am leaning towards Pixel 2XL because of camera, water resistance and regular updates.

As far as regular updates are concerned, the update frequency and consistency of OnePlus has been nothing short of excellent. I use a OP3 since 2016 and the number of quality updates I have got and continue to get is fairly astounding. I believe that the next Android release is also coming to the OP3!!

Guys, please suggest screen protector film (not tempered glass) for Samsung galaxy S9.

I'm not able to find a proper one both online and offline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CliffHanger (Post 4487830)
Guys, please suggest screen protector film (not tempered glass) for Samsung galaxy S9.

No personal experience with this product, but the Spigen brand is one that I'm comfortable using. See this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunphilip (Post 4484806)
I use the official case for my Note8, and am happy with it. Pricey, but good quality. I've not dropped my phone, though, so can't comment on that aspect of it! (And no, I won't drop it just to fulfil a request either :))

Spigen is a brand that I prefer and recommend. Their Liquid Air Case series is nice - it protects against drops by having a nice air gap on the corners and sides, and has a raised rim to prevent the screen impacting a flat surface if it falls face down. You can search YouTube for reviews of this case. I particularly like the sloped edge near the fingerprint sensor, as it smoothly draws one's finger in to the sensor.

As luck would have it, today i broke the display of my 5 days old note 9!! Shelling out 17,500 for the replacement!! Need to get a proper case and screen guard once the phone is back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 4487697)
On top of that, Pixel 2XL have 2 year warranty and will get most of the new camera features available in Pixel 3.

Any last min suggestions?

I will strongly recommend the Pixel 2 XL. The camera update already got in my 2XL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sairamboko (Post 4487870)
As luck would have it, today i broke the display of my 5 days old note 9!! Shelling out 17,500 for the replacement!! Need to get a proper case and screen guard once the phone is back.

Ouch :-( Very sorry to hear that. Were you using the phone naked? (i.e. the phone, not you!)

Although Samsung made the metal rim of the S9/Note9 grippier than the 8s, it is still a slippery phone overall.

17.5k is a big sum, though not unexpectedly or unusually high. Check your phone purchase info to see if any screen protection plan was offered when you bought it (e.g. Acko screen protection), since I recall seeing some of those offered for free/a nominal sum in the recent Flipkart/Amazon sales.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sairamboko (Post 4487887)
I was using it with the case supplied in the box.

Ah, ok. Yeah, I think those clear and hard plastic cases don't have a big enough lip to keep the screen off the ground, nor do they have adequate shock protection. It's more of a scratch protector for the sides & rear.

I'm sorry you had to experience this in a painful way, but I'm sure you're now wiser.