Team-BHP - Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/83859-android-thread-phones-apps-mods-467.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 2608681)
Anyone tried their hands on removing a network lock? I have an Xperia X8 with me which is locked to some network in the UK. Any recommended methods, tools?

Buy a unlock code for a few hundred bucks on ebay or rimweb. Lots of people doing that. Most hassle free way to get it working.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chennai-indian (Post 2608310)
Everything depends on what your budget is my friend. So let us know what your budget is and am sure guys in this forum can help you.

Well my budget is 10 to 20k and can stretch a bit for a excellent phone.and obviously if its expensive ,i will plan to have it for atleast 3 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshguy (Post 2608283)
Hi all i am looking to buy a android phone and i am a nokia user from 2000.i dont have any idea on which phone is good in the market,but i know which brand is doing good.

please suggest a phone for me,my priorities are GOOD battery life and easy to use interface
I went to few shops and reviewed gsmarena but couldn come to a conclusion. some say htc wildfire/desire is best,some xperia arc and some say samsung galaxys/s2/plus and one said LG Optimus 2x has best battery backup.

Am totally confused but i am clear that i will not buy LG.

i do lots of calls , sms'es ,browse (including wifi)and need twitter and FB applications (guess they are available by default?)

to give an idea in 2.5 years my 5800 has been used for 700 hours.

buy a blackberry. any blackberry :)

seriously - your usage may only fit the likes of samsung galaxy R (S2's poor cousin). androids rock on UI and games/interface etc but battery life ... forget it.

or buy any phone and get a beluga battery :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by sajo (Post 2608600)
What problems does Neo V have ? I was eyeing it too, but now have decided to hold off. Nokia Lumia 710 is expected to be in the same price range though.

1. Automatically reboots every now and then.
2. Unstable wifi, disconnects every 2 mins.
3. Low internal memory which leads to lag.
4. Phone gets heated up.

These were the issues that i learnt while researching. 50% of the users have faced probs while others have been lucky. If wifi is not important you can still take a chance. For me it is, so dropped it.
Guess this is the only phone < 20k which comes with HDMI mirroring, an awesome feature to stream youtube and alike videos on a large screen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S_U_N (Post 2608271)
All, in all, you won't lose anything (you can reload your stock ROM and reclaim your warranty if need be) by switching to custom roms.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware about getting it back to stock. This is very encouraging. Is it just with Defy or for that matter any phone can be reloaded to stock ROM if custom ROM's fail ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 2608464)
Please dig up wherever you read that. again.
There are two things -
a. stable custom ROMs
b. nightly (test) builds. If you use the latter, then occasionally you may have issues. with CM7 defy there was rarely such an issue (only wifi was unstable in some builds).
if u install the stable builds, there's no such issue. if u read what everyone's said - reinstalling OEM software = 10min job. Bang - there's your warranty.
:D

That would be really hard, have no idea where i read that. My google searches back then were more like 'Cons of Custom roms' rather than Pros :D
Btw, is Defy the most 'mod friendly' ? If i go the custom roms way, will it hold good with whatever versions android dishes out ?

OT: Does CM7 support Tv out feature ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by karty_83 (Post 2608764)
1. Automatically reboots every now and then.
2. Unstable wifi, disconnects every 2 mins.
3. Low internal memory which leads to lag.
4. Phone gets heated up.

These were the issues that i learnt while researching. 50% of the users have faced probs while others have been lucky. If wifi is not important you can still take a chance. For me it is, so dropped it.
Guess this is the only phone < 20k which comes with HDMI mirroring, an awesome feature to stream youtube and alike videos on a large screen.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware about getting it back to stock. This is very encouraging. Is it just with Defy or for that matter any phone can be reloaded to stock ROM if custom ROM's fail ?

That would be really hard, have no idea where i read that. My google searches back then were more like 'Cons of Custom roms' rather than Pros :D
Btw, is Defy the most 'mod friendly' ? If i go the custom roms way, will it hold good with whatever versions android dishes out ?

The 4 points against SE, custom would fix all.
But, out of the box, the heating and lag are something all SEs have.

As for going back to stock, it can be done with any brand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karty_83 (Post 2608764)

defy and tv out - no clue. pls google.

defy mod friendliness >>> SGSL for sure.

"whatever versions android dishes out"
I'm waiting for my xmas/new year gift from these guys: [ICS] 11-Dec First "AOSP/CM9" Experimental Builds for the Defy ! - xda-developers

Going by how the CM7 builds were ultra stable within one month - i expect the ICS builds to be no less.

btw, CM7 development for defy has stopped as of now - its all hands on deck for ICS. see the ICS videos in that thread!!

but average users should wait till a comprehensive installation instruction comes out and the thread title changes to beta, not experimental :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayankk (Post 2608787)
The 4 points against SE, custom would fix all.
But, out of the box, the heating and lag are something all SEs have.

As for going back to stock, it can be done with any brand.

Custom disables HDMI mirroring. One feature that sets it apart from all other droids in this price range.
May not be necessary for most people i suppose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 2608744)
buy a blackberry. any blackberry :)

seriously - your usage may only fit the likes of samsung galaxy R (S2's poor cousin). androids rock on UI and games/interface etc but battery life ... forget it.

or buy any phone and get a beluga battery :D

oh i hate BB ui,btw i have a feeling that galaxy s/plus will be good.A battery life of one day is enough for me.

Which is good galaxy s or s plus? what is the difference?

BTW what is beluga? is it a brand of battery?:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshguy (Post 2609021)
Which is good galaxy s or s plus? what is the difference?

Galaxy s plus - 1.4GHz Scorpion processor, Adreno 205 GPU, Qualcomm MSM8255T chipset

Galaxy s - 1 GHz Cortex-A8 processor, PowerVR SGX540 GPU, Hummingbird chipset

Everything else is the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karty_83 (Post 2609050)
Galaxy s plus - 1.4GHz Scorpion processor, Adreno 205 GPU, Qualcomm MSM8255T chipset

Galaxy s - 1 GHz Cortex-A8 processor, PowerVR SGX540 GPU, Hummingbird chipset

Everything else is the same.

Thanks karthik,but which one is good? i believe there is a difference in screen too,some amoled and lcd kinds?

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshguy (Post 2609107)
Thanks karthik,but which one is good? i believe there is a difference in screen too,some amoled and lcd kinds?

No both of them come with a super amoled screen.
Well can't really comment on which one being good for i am in the market myself for my first droid. S plus is faster while S has a better hardware(as per gsmarena). Let me leave it to the guru's to comment on that.
I am not sure if S is availabe anymore, do cross check. If you decide on S plus then you ll have to consider Galaxy R as well for both are closely priced.

S+'s GPU is lesser AFAIk - practically both are nice enough at that budget man. Other than that, at that budget, go Galaxy R man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karty_83 (Post 2609134)
No both of them come with a super amoled screen.
Well can't really comment on which one being good for i am in the market myself for my first droid. S plus is faster while S has a better hardware(as per gsmarena). Let me leave it to the guru's to comment on that.
I am not sure if S is availabe anymore, do cross check. If you decide on S plus then you ll have to consider Galaxy R as well for both are closely priced.

I think the SGS I9003 comes with a LCD screen and not Super AMOLED.

The SGS+ has a better battery, but lesser internal storage and should be faster than the SGS I9003. The downside to buying the SGS variants is that they are not the greatest and the latest anymore, so most of the development effort is either tailored towards the original I9000 or the SGS II.

Another option is to find a dealer who may have leftover stock of the SGS I9000 and pick it up for a major discount. Then slap on the newer ICS builds on it and watch it fly.

My phone is well over a year old now and the image below brought a big smile on my face.

Name:  Screenshot_201112131938462.png
Views: 599
Size:  40.4 KB

Quote:

Originally Posted by codelust (Post 2609404)

My phone is well over a year old now and the image below brought a big smile on my face.

Attachment 855555

Saw your screenshot showing the battery state in a pictorial format. Which app is this? Source?

looks like the ICS standard battery stats app.