Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2010, 10:56   #1
BHPian

Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect

BASIC DETAILS

Play Station 3 with Move bundle costs Rs.23,490/-

It consists of a slim PS3 console with 320 GB of storage, plus the camera and controller needed to support one Move player. It also comes with a Blu-ray disc sampler with nine demo games. The box comes with:
  • PlayStation®3 320GB x 1
  • PlayStation®Move Motion Controller x 1
  • PlayStation®Eye x 1
  • PlayStation®Move Starter Disc x 1
Microsoft Kinect with a 4 GB bundle costs Rs.22,990/-
The box comes with:

Xbox 360 4 GB S Console
Kinect Sensor for Xbox 360
Kinect Adventures game
Xbox 360 Black Wireless Controller
Xbox 360 Composite A/V cable (standard definition)
1-month Xbox LIVE Gold Membership
1-year limited warranty on console

The 250 GB version of Kinect costs Rs.31,980/-

Which one would be the game changer?

Last edited by Gautam Misra : 5th November 2010 at 10:59.
Old 5th November 2010, 13:12   #2
BHPian

I am a ps3 fan, because Microsoft is Better in Software rather then in Hardware.
(Just My view)
Old 5th November 2010, 13:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Kinect wins hands down. PS3 is great but the 360 in this generation has been outstanding, and while the move is fun, Kinect takes this to a whole new level considering it works on human gestures which is a lot more adaptable then holding a controller, which Nintendo has done a great job for already with the Wii.

Regards,
Old 5th November 2010, 14:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

I'd have gone for PS3 only becuase it offers a BlueRay Player, apart from other common features. But I heard that MS has released Xbox 380 that has a blue ray player in it. Not sure of the price though.

How much does a game cd cost for PS3 and Xbox? This factor also needs to be kept in mind before taking the plunge.

Edit: The new Xbox is 360, not 380, but a newer version that has a 250 gb hard disk. I believe it costs 29 K in India, but around 25K on Amazon if shipped to a US address

Last edited by vnabhi : 5th November 2010 at 14:19.
Old 5th November 2010, 14:37   #5
BHPian

kinect

hey guys.. i had bought the xbox 360 a year back.. its hard to believe but I still havent removed it from the box. recently placed an order for kinect. it should be delivered by 19th nov. hopefully i will start using the xbox then.

though i agree that when it comes to gaming, sony wins it hands down but with kinect microsoft has taken it to the next level.

i truthfully never imagined that one could use gestures to play. i am glad that this technology has come to india on time otherwise generally all these gadgets get launched in india when the entire craze dies down.

will keep you guys updated about the performance of kinect. now i am trying to procure a hd for the xbox
Old 6th November 2010, 12:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The new Xbox is 360, not 380, but a newer version that has a 250 gb hard disk. I believe it costs 29 K in India, but around 25K on Amazon if shipped to a US address
The cost is Rs.31,980/-. These are official prices. However the exact launch dates are not available on the website. Here is a link to the microsoft store for India -
Kinect
Old 7th November 2010, 16:39   #7
BHPian

From what I've read, Move is highly accurate and swift. There's a slightly noticeable lag with Kinect.

Not sure what's gonna happen to the Wii now. Motion gaming was it's USP. Maybe it'll continue to sell coz of its price. But the price different isn't much in games, or is it ?
Old 7th November 2010, 16:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would have loved if the move contraption could be smaller and we could wear it on fingertips with different buttons on different fingers(except the thumb)
Microsoft has been saying that blu-ray disc format is obsolete since the hardware media format is not really a issue now. Would be surprised if they came up with 380!

Last edited by srishiva : 7th November 2010 at 16:51.
Old 7th December 2010, 17:21   #9
BHPian

Kinect has been officially launched in India and initial reports are great. It appears that Kinect has overtaken PS Move.
Old 12th December 2010, 21:55   #10
BHPian

Re: Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect

I have owned PS3 since last three years and I bought move controller on the same day it was launched in India. I also bought a game called "Sports Champions" which contains various move compatible games, my favorite though is table tennis. In my experience move is really fast and accurate and provides a more immersive gaming experience than anything else. If you are looking for serious gaming experience move is the way to go. Besides move, playstation console itself is a great device and it has become a centerpiece of all entertainment in my house. To summarize PS3 provides following features besides being a great gaming console:

1. Media hub - store and play all your audio, video, photos. The performance is really delightful considering the very fast 8-core processor the PS3 has.
2. Blu ray player
3. Upscales any video to 1080p and the upscaling quality is really good.
4. Upscales audio to 176.6khz including audio CDs. Audio playback quality is really good and you can connect your home theatre to it. (provides output through optical cable as well as HDMI)
5. Wifi comes as a standard, PS3 is DLNA compatible and and you can stream music/audio wirelessly from compatible devices such as laptops and cell phones.
6. Bluetooth wireless controllers with vibration (on the move controller as well).
7. Solid build quality
8. Comes with some interesting software - photo gallery, video editor, internet browser, life with playstation etc.

I have used wii and ps3 move beats it hands down. I haven't used kinect personally but I have heard about issues like it requires lot of space, doesn't work well if your room is not well lit. One advantage with kinect though is that you don't need to buy any controllers.

I think PS3 is a far better package in terms of price and performance.
MandarMax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2010, 06:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
I have owned PS3 since last three years and I bought move controller on the same day it was launched in India. I also bought a game called "Sports Champions" which contains various move compatible games, my favorite though is table tennis. In my experience move is really fast and accurate and provides a more immersive gaming experience than anything else. If you are looking for serious gaming experience move is the way to go. Besides move, playstation console itself is a great device and it has become a centerpiece of all entertainment in my house. To summarize PS3 provides following features besides being a great gaming console:

1. Media hub - store and play all your audio, video, photos. The performance is really delightful considering the very fast 8-core processor the PS3 has.
2. Blu ray player
3. Upscales any video to 1080p and the upscaling quality is really good.
4. Upscales audio to 176.6khz including audio CDs. Audio playback quality is really good and you can connect your home theatre to it. (provides output through optical cable as well as HDMI)
5. Wifi comes as a standard, PS3 is DLNA compatible and and you can stream music/audio wirelessly from compatible devices such as laptops and cell phones.
6. Bluetooth wireless controllers with vibration (on the move controller as well).
7. Solid build quality
8. Comes with some interesting software - photo gallery, video editor, internet browser, life with playstation etc.

I have used wii and ps3 move beats it hands down. I haven't used kinect personally but I have heard about issues like it requires lot of space, doesn't work well if your room is not well lit. One advantage with kinect though is that you don't need to buy any controllers.

I think PS3 is a far better package in terms of price and performance.
That's a good list of features, @Mandarmax! Another advantage of the PS3 Move over the Kinect is that when I play a game, I'd like to think I'm holding a bat instead of merely swinging my empty hands. The Move controller, like the Wii remote, gives me this sensation that is absent in the Kinect.
I guess Kinect is good for kids as they cannot break remotes.

BTW, I need your advice. I plan to buy the PS3 here in the US and carry back to India. But will Games bought in India work on this US console? My TVs in India play NTSC as well, but I am not sure if games are region-specific in the PS3 and if the console limits games of other regions.
Old 20th December 2010, 07:26   #12
BHPian

The PS3 games are region free. They ll work regardless of the region of ps3 you use.
The Blu Ray movie needs to be taken into account for, unless mentioned as region free.

Only thing u ll loose out is gonna be the ps3's warranty.
Old 20th December 2010, 13:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacescreamer View Post
The PS3 games are region free. They ll work regardless of the region of ps3 you use.
The Blu Ray movie needs to be taken into account for, unless mentioned as region free.

Games will work. They are not region specific. However other movie DVDs don't work as they are region specific.
Old 21st December 2010, 01:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacescreamer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Games will work. They are not region specific. However other movie DVDs don't work as they are region specific.
Thanks guys. Now I know the pros and cons. I wonder if one gets region free Blue Ray disks in India.

Another question i have is whether UK and India are on the same region for DVDs. I could pick up the ps3 at Heathrow duty free on my return. I know for sure they have 220 V in UK, similar to India, and i can save the cost of a 220V adapter.
Old 21st December 2010, 02:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

kinect is much more advanced and has a better future than the move.
The kinect alone increased the shelf life of the xbox by another 2-3 years minimum.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks