Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Hatchback with the most back friendly seat!
Figo 15 13.16%
Fabia 16 14.04%
Punto 24 21.05%
Swift 51 44.74%
Jazz 14 12.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2011, 16:34   #16
BHPian

Looks like swift is getting the most votes, will have to test drive it then!
Old 18th May 2011, 16:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hatchback with the best driving seat!!!

Firstly are you sure that your back pain is being caused due to the seat and nothing else? Sure it could be enhanced or felt during your ride, but is there something else you should be considering?
I had a similar issue (pain in lower back) and I ascribed it to my bike riding. However, I had the same pain even when I gave up riding my bike for some time. On eliminating a few habits by combination, I realised that this pain was caused more due to the way I sit on a chair with one leg over the other. I am not saying this is the reason for your backpain, just using an example to say that the reason could also be elsewhere

Secondly, we are talking of OEM seats here; would it be possible to change to a seat with better support in the aftermarket? I am not aware of this, just putting a thought out there.

Like some others have already mentioned, driving comfort would be the entire ergonomical position (positions of gear know, pedals, steering wheel, window controls, armrest etc) and not only the seat.
I am very pleased with the driving position in my Jazz. A new one was out of budget for me at the time too, but I managed to find a pre owned one.
You may want to look at the used car market to expand the range of cars in your budget?
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 17:15   #18
BHPian

Lets add a poll and see which car is the most comfortable for people with weak backs!
Old 18th May 2011, 17:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Among the vehicles I have driven, I feel Figo has got the better driving seat. I own a Punto, and it took me some time to get a perfect seating position.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 17:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Amron is the brand of lumbar support. Its designed quite badly (atleast for hatches) because its too thick and ruins the otherwise perfect thigh support in swift.

I am one of those who sit 100% forward. So i20 is darned uncomfortable for me (cramped foot well). Swift is perfect in comparison. Ofcourse, YMMV.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 19:07   #21
HKP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I am one of those who sit 100% forward. So i20 is darned uncomfortable for me (cramped foot well). Swift is perfect in comparison. Ofcourse, YMMV.
I felt my i20 is very comfortable. I don't sit forward though like how you do. I raised the seat height and adjusted the steering position and the comfort and road view seems very good compared to any other hatchback I tried. May be you should try this too.

\\hkp

Last edited by HKP : 18th May 2011 at 19:10.
Old 18th May 2011, 19:42   #22
BHPian

@hkp i20 is uncomfortable for people who sit forward because the lower half of the dashboard becomes a hinderance. But if u take the seat back and bring out the steering then its manageable!
Old 18th May 2011, 20:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKP View Post
I felt my i20 is very comfortable. I don't sit forward though like how you do. I raised the seat height and adjusted the steering position and the comfort and road view seems very good compared to any other hatchback I tried. May be you should try this too.

\\hkp
HKP saab,

To each their own - I can't drive like you - you can't drive like me

Its simple - for a far forward driver, Swift is vastly comfortable compared to i20. For a sit-back driver, i have no clue - I don't drive like that!
Old 18th May 2011, 20:42   #24
Team-BHP Support

Folks can some one point me to I20 CRDI ownership reviews. I was interested to know, how is it on highways and in the city. Could never see a comprehensive ownership review.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT : Sorry for that off topic question. The motivation is that every time, when we see a Punto Vs I20 CRDI discussion, all these questions come out.

Last edited by ampere : 18th May 2011 at 20:44.
Old 18th May 2011, 21:18   #25
BHPian

I thought of voting for Ritz. But when I saw the options of the poll, I was . Haven't driven Jazz and Fabia substantially to comment upon but amongst Figo, Swift and Punto, I would vote for Swift.

BTW, ergonomics of Ritz are very good- long travel range of front seats, good positioning of gear knob and easy ingress-egress. My 2 cents only if it is one of the options...
Old 18th May 2011, 21:31   #26
BANNED

Go for the swift,i too have slip disc and have a swift
Old 18th May 2011, 21:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Can't participate in polls since I have not driven any other car other than Punto. And yes it takes sometime to get the posture right in Punto. But among all the cars listed in the poll the best suspension would be of Punto. Makes driving totally fatigue free.
Old 18th May 2011, 22:15   #28
CDM
BHPian

@fastraj: Please do try each car before you actually buy one. If possible, please try to borrow a friend's car for a day or two as a mere TD is not sufficient. I bought a Getz thinking it was going to be as comfortable as my Indica V2 but realised later that this was not so.

Also, keep in mind that everyone has a different requirement, threshold of pain etc. So, what may be good for me may not be good for you. I have friends (who have no disc issues) who swear by the comfort of the ANHC but I find getting in and out quite a pain.

That said, here is what I feel all of us with disc issues should look for:
  • High seating position (as close to an armchair as possible).
  • Pedals that do not require much effort (heavy pedals hurt the back).
  • A soft suspension.
I am not certain if the Swift has a sufficiently high seating position. As @headbanger has also said, have you checked the Ritz? It comes in Diesel (which is what you want), has a high seating position and soft suspension (which is what you need). Finally, its a Maruti so ownership issues should not be a problem.

Regards,

CDM
CDM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 22:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The best driver's seat in any hatchback i have experienced is Swift and even though the steering in not adjustable, it's well positioned.
Another one to agree to this point. The most comfortable seats that i have ever sat on is the Swift. I am 6'1 and big and i enjoy driving my swift than taking my brothers i10 or my friend Figo anyday
Old 18th May 2011, 22:31   #30
BHPian

Have you tried the Vista? I suffer from a lower back problem and it is a dream. I have done 8 hours of driving (highway+traffic+really bad traffic) on some poor roads and it felt good. the suspension is good at handling almost anything that the roads throw at it. The seat has height adjust so you can have a 'sitting' position while driving rather than the 'go kart' position which helps your back.

Do check it out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks