Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2006, 15:23   #1
BHPian

Help on NEW car

It is nearly 3 years since we are having the elantra crdi an the wagonR LXi.They are due for replacement in june this year (long way to go). Advise on which car i should take.

I was thinking of Swift ZXi in place of the wagon r
No thoughts as of yet on the replacement for the Elantra (No way i am buyin a skoda)

BUDGET is around 20L for both cars (spend anything more and i will have the tax guys at my doorstep)

FE not a major concern on the hatch but the diesel HAS to have a FE of atleast 12kpl

I am not too sure whether i should buy a sedan or an suv in place of the elantra (No scorpio, Safari or Innova)

Please advise...
take yor time guys no hurry

Thanks in advance
Old 13th February 2006, 15:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsreekaranrao
No thoughts as of yet on the replacement for the Elantra

Quote:
I am not too sure whether i should buy a sedan or an suv in place of the elantra
little confusing..... you want to replace Elantra or not..
And budget of 20 L.. so you really should be looking for a 15L sedan/Suv. Well, i would advice Laura or the Hyundai Tucson.. and ofcourse Swift Zxi/Tata Grand Punto (if and when it is launched)

Last edited by DCEite : 13th February 2006 at 15:39.
Old 13th February 2006, 15:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Tucson + Swift/Getz but it would be slighty over your budget (unless your Hyundai dealer gives you a discount for buying TWO of their products). Or maybe you can check out the Indica Xeta (we've got a few first-impressions and test drives on the forum) and that would put things well within budget though it cannot be compared to the Swift/Getz in matters other than space.

Last edited by Steeroid : 13th February 2006 at 15:42.
Old 13th February 2006, 15:48   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm. So your immediate replacement will be for the WagonR as I gathered. I would say why not have a look at the Aveo hatch? It really looks nice though it is too early to say anything more. As for Swift, well you can definitely go for that. It is the hot selling thing in the hatch market. You will also get your loyalty bonus that way. However do check out the various niggling complaints that seem to bother people within the first six to twelve months of purchase.

As for a diesel vehicle, you have negated the Toyota as well as both the indian SUVs. That leaves you with one major diesel SUV to look at. Check out the Hyundai Tucson. It looks like a fair bet.
Old 13th February 2006, 15:51   #5
BHPian

swift zxi and Tucson crdi
CAT
Old 13th February 2006, 16:22   #6
BHPian

Sorry if u guys are confused
  1. both cars are due for replacement in JUNE
  2. no way i am buying a tata
  3. my friend claims tuscon mileage 8kpl if it is true it will burn a big hole in my pocket
Old 13th February 2006, 16:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

For the small car it would have to be the Swift. As for the Elantra there is not much of a choice right now. I see the Laura to have the best FE around but then again you dont want a Skoda.

I would advise you to hold on to your Elantra for a while. You will be sure to have more options in the coming months
Old 14th February 2006, 11:43   #8
BHPian

Sreekaran,

Here's my choice
Wagon R - can be replaced with Swift ZXi or Aveo (after launch review of looks and perfomance). Swift will be safe bet. Indica Xeta looses on looks/styling..

Elantr CRDi - your only optimal choices are all Skoda models and Laura Manual would be better choice for you considering the manual is around 15+ on road. Or settle for Octavia Elegance. I dont know what worries you about Skoda.Can you lay it out.. Is it the ASS+Spares that you are worried about. You dont have to be. It may cost you 6000/ service after 7500 KMs and some precautionary replacements of brake discs and Clutch plates, timing belt after it crosses 1L kms costing 60K rupees. You have a choice of the dealer inspect it and do without a replacement which many people do atleast in CBE.
It gives a better mileage of 15+ and a well built decent looking upper range car. There might not be other diesel sedans in the category you are looking for in near future. Audis and VW will cost 25+ even when they are launched. No meat.

I would not recommend SUV as this Sedan/Suv is going to be your primary vehicle for long family/business drives. SUVs are ok for family outings..For me they have more sporty look and dont display the majestic/elegant looks. I believe you hatch is going to do city duty and mostly for your wife/daughter to use. Anyway your son must be already vrooming his modified baleno..

Happy thinking.
Old 14th February 2006, 12:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_jp
I believe you hatch is going to do city duty and mostly for your wife/daughter to use. Anyway your son must be already vrooming his modified baleno..

Happy thinking.
Haha, give the poor dude a break and stop scaring him! He's just a student worried about spending too much on a car... and you've already upgraded him to a hubby/dad status to add to his troubles! (P.S. Sreekaran, I was from HPS too )

How come no one's recommended the CRV yet? Especially the honda fanfare on the forum?! . And like everyone else recommended, go for the Swift, it's too early to say anything about the Aveo yet.

Godspeed.

Alok.
Old 14th February 2006, 12:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

if u dont have preference between petrol and diesel, and love driving then here goes-

for the wagon R, replace it with a fiesta 1.4
the elantra- replace with a mondeo or wait for the civic to be launched
Old 14th February 2006, 12:59   #11
BHPian

Sorry about the confusion i am not a student my son who is a student created this account for me (I think i should change that in da profile)
Yes the swift is going to do the city duty (for my wife)
Yes my major concern is the ASS with skoda and the rear seat in octavia is not very comfortable
My elantra has clocked 2.8L and if i use a petrol
So no petrol for the elantra
Old 14th February 2006, 13:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

in that case u should wait for the sonata crdi

2.8 L in 3 years !!!! WOW! please give a write up of your experiences and the maintenane incurred on the car.
Old 14th February 2006, 13:59   #13
Team-BHP Support

Baah!!! 2.8L in 3 years?!! Thats well over 8000kms per month. Jeezzz... Hyderabad is not that big to clock that kind of mileage (I mean I also drive everyday from one corner to the other). Where do you do your driving pal? Do you travel all over AP in that car every month?
Old 14th February 2006, 15:14   #14
BHPian

I have quite a large part of my business out of town the roundtrip is around 350km and the car(if not me) travels the distance at least 15 times a month.
I have a 6 month old innova that has done 90k km in 6months .Now that is another story
Old 14th February 2006, 16:21   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have quite a large part of my business out of town the roundtrip is around 350km and the car(if not me) travels the distance at least 15 times a month.
I have a 6 month old innova that has done 90k km in 6months .Now that is another story
ah... oh! I am speechless I guess. 90,000kms in 6 months (gulp!). Ok... Btw, tell me something. When did this Innova of yours complete its last service? And within how many months did it go out of warranty coverage?

I think if car makers get to know of the kind of mileage that you clock every month they will happily offer you those pre-launch cars which they use for clocking up the kms to test them under local conditions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks