Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2006, 18:52   #31
BHPian

prabuddhadg,
you seems to be getting confused with each of your reply.

you have a budget of 4lakhs.
you travels 70 kms daily but donot likes diesels
you donot likes tallboys like santro and wagon-r
you wants fuel economy of about M800
you found swift to be not sturdily built
you found palios good but hates them for FE
you found M800 to be peppy (??!)
you found esteem too big and you won't be needing that boot too
you found zen too not upto your taste...

so what is left?
only Xeta petrol!
i am sorry to say you have left very limited scope for yourself to play with! so imho, either you should increase your budget or just try to find solace in that 'ultimate' car - Xeta!

xeta is what fulfills all your needs.
go for it.
Old 20th April 2006, 18:59   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder
prabuddhadg,
xeta is what fulfills all your needs.
go for it.
Old 20th April 2006, 20:00   #33
BHPian

Yes Prabhu,that is myself with my ex-car (palio 1.2).Now I own a Palio 1.6 S10.To confuse you further ... Both the 1.2 and 1.6 give similar mileage.I have got around 9 kmpl in both the 1.2 and 1.6 in city,Bandra -khar area to be specific.That I feel is pretty good if you know the traffic conditions over here.And I am a sedate driver. On the western expressway highway,(with some traffic)you can expect around 12-13 kmpl.
Service from Shaman (Lalbaug)has been drastically going downhill over the years.But its still acceptable,especially regular service for oil change,filters,brake checks etc is fine.Anuroop auto at goregaon are manageable too.But I'm looking forward to get my car serviced from TATAs.
Old 20th April 2006, 20:20   #34
Senior - BHPian

Prabhu, I suggest you to go for a new Palio 1.2 NV ELX, it will cost you 4.7 lacs approx. Will give you a mileage of 12 - 13 kmpl in City and 15 - 16 kmpl in Highways. Plus all the features of Palio - Sheer driving pleasure & ride comfort, high Safety, Spacious, Good looks and now Service from Tata Motors!
Old 20th April 2006, 22:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

This is one hell of a roller coaster thread and I must say pretty confusing too.

I don't think upgrading from a M800 to a Alto can be called a upgrade. They both are the same cars. Zen WAS a brilliant car about a decade back and according to me was outdated when the Santro, Matiz and Uno were launched.

Prabhu, I don't kow why you are against diesels. Considereing your driving of 70kms a day, diesels would make perfect sense. Don't brush off diesels without giving them a try. I'd say go and test drive both the Indica Turbo and Palio Diesels with a open mind. I have never driven or been in a Indica but people consider Indica truck like and noise levels high though the turbo diesel Indica is supposed to be better. I have test driven the Palio Diesel and the engine was refined enough for the price range the car is in. Modern diesels are quiet and refined and have very good performance with excellent FE too. Of course, they can never be as quiet as a petrol engine but then a petrol can never match the driveablity and FE of a diesel so both have their pros and cons.

Another important factor for you to consider would be the comfort and ergonomics of the car. If you are going to be driving for 70kms a day then you have to be comfortable with the car. This again is subjective and varies from person to person. For example, I was never comfortable driving a Santro for more then 20 mins but not many people have that complaint. Test drive cars and pay attention to the seats, control layout etc. From personal expereince and cars owned, I'd say Matiz and Palio have been the best.

I can sense that your heart is rooting for the Palio. The NV version, according to owners, gives decent mileage. You can check out Palio Users group at yahoo for more details. I would say avoid the earlier 1.2. The car was not known for FE though a personal friend of mine used to regularly get about 11kmpl in Mumbai traffic with AC on. However, many owners reported FE equal to the 1.6 version!

Though people complain about poor service standards, I, personally, have never had problems with Fiat or their dealers. Anuroop have always given brilliant levels of service and the car itself has been flawless. Unfortunately, the car I own is a Palio 1.6 which I don't think would satisfy your requirements. Still if you want to know more about the car, it's FE and service support recieved, you can read my Palio S10 long term review here.

All the best with your purchase and let us know which car you ultimately bought.

Last edited by amit : 20th April 2006 at 22:38.
Old 21st April 2006, 10:24   #36
BHPian

Sorry I had to go off yesterday and I could not reply to all you people. Fact is I tend to stay away from diesels because under the hood everything looks comletely Greek to me. I will need to take lessons on how a diesel set up works. And the only diesel vehicles I have driven have been jeeps and ambys, both of which have felt pretty different in terms of pick up, from petrol cars.
And I am not a rich guy. Company pays for quite a bit of the petrol. Otherwise I live from hand to mouth.
Old 22nd April 2006, 03:18   #37
BHPian

The Indica Xeta is a very good car. Don't go for the diesel. It's absolute crap, except for the fuel economy.
Old 22nd April 2006, 10:15   #38
BHPian

Prabu, opt for the Esteem LXI with your eyes closed. Great FE, superb engine., Fantastic A**. Its everything that you will need and more. Palio too is a nice car, but Fiat's future is a big headache. Indica..................well, don't even think about it!

Cheers
Old 22nd April 2006, 11:07   #39
BHPian

I have always liked the Esteem. And the number of stranded Indicas on the Western Highway I see to and from work has made me quite jittery about Tata quality. Granted, 90% of hired cars now are Indicas and hired cars are not half as well maintained as personal cars, but still, it sows a seed of doubt.
The Indica Xeta is very new as also the Turbo diesel. I have always steered clear of diesels, but after so many Tbhpians recommended the Indica diesel and the Palio D, I have been hunting for long term ownership reviews.
I drive in bumper to bumper traffic a lot. For instance, due to the bus strike yesterday, there were more than usual taxis and autos on the roads. While my early morning drive to work (32km) took 55 minutes, the return in the evening took 3hours and 15 minutes. On the better days, it takes 2 hours. So, with a sluggish car, I won't be able to cut lanes (I do it safely; no one hoots, not a dent yet) and slip through traffic now and then. So the two hours will increase to perhaps 2 and a 1/2.
Basically I need something that returns 10+ kmpl (the more the better, obviously) (considering the drives in the two different traffic conditions, my 800 gives 16-17 kmpl) and does a decent 0 to 20 or 0 to 40.
Old 22nd April 2006, 11:38   #40
BHPian

Well, then let me tell you that the esteem is faster than even the Ikon 1.6 and the Baleno considering 0-100kph and so will not just do a decent 0-20 or a 0-40kph, it will do a stunning 0-20 and 0-40kph with ease . My 2006 esteem vxi gives me 13-14kmpl with a/c on all the time in mumbai city conditions where i travel daily from santacruz to haji-ali. Since you are on a budget, if you do consider the Esteem then please buy atleast the LXI and not the LX coz LXI comes with Power Steering which is a definate need in B2B traffic.

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 22nd April 2006 at 11:41.
Old 22nd April 2006, 12:48   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
Since you are on a budget, if you do consider the Esteem then please buy atleast the LXI and not the LX coz LXI comes with Power Steering which is a definate need in B2B traffic.

Cheers
That is a given. I drove a friend's Versa and after that my 800 felt like a truck. So power steering is a must.
Old 22nd April 2006, 13:03   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg
Hi guys, I need your help. I drive an 800. I do about 70km daily in Bombay traffic. I am thinking of getting myself something slightly bigger for around four lacs. I have been thinking of the Palio 1.2 (old), the Xeta (new) and the Zen (2003-2004). I do not particularly like diesel cars, and because of the distance, FE is important.
I have been thinking of the Palio 1.6, but I guess it does only about 8kmpl, which would mean about 250litres a month.
I really like tha Palio, and the Zen too.
I live in Kandivili and Maruti service is just round the corner. Can those of you living around Goregaon to Borivili please give me some feedback on service of Tata and Fiat in your area?
There are a lot of knowledgable people on TBhp, so I am sure I am going to receive some pretty useful insight. So thank you all in advance.

Even i do travel 60-70km in city bought indica diesel its economical but boring instead i would suggest you to go for old look zen its so sweet looking and good to maintain.
Old 22nd April 2006, 14:10   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg
You know BoomShiva, the Zen used to be my favourite car for its handling, but now since the digging up of Bombay roads and sudden ditches resulting here and there, a friend who owns a Zen has started complaining of rattles in his car, that a Palio owner friend does not.
I think the Esteem is slightly stouter of build than the Zen. I am thinking of considering Ryder's idea of the Xeta as well. In fact it has always been on my mind, particularly for its solid feel and comfort.
So now I am thinking 1. Esteem (since its a Maruti), 2. Zen, 3. Xeta/ Palio 1.2 (I can handle 10kmpl (but no lower) for 2000km per month).
Just a hint, but why don't you try the Ikon 1.3 Flair as well along with the Esteem LXI. Fits your bill rather well.

Cheers
Old 22nd April 2006, 14:25   #44
BHPian

You know Triggercool, these 6 days a week drives are so boring except in the mornings (particularly on Saturdays), that I want a car that I can enjoy. Something that I can push a little in the mornings and putter around in during the mad evenings. FE is terribly important as well, which has me in this quandrary.
Old 22nd April 2006, 14:28   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
Just a hint, but why don't you try the Ikon 1.3 Flair as well along with the Esteem LXI. Fits your bill rather well.

Cheers
I know absolutely nothing about the Ikons. What's their service like? And FE? Isn't the Esteem quicker and more efficient?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks