Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2006, 09:11   #1
BHPian

Help wanted in getting a small car

Hi guys, I need your help. I drive an 800. I do about 70km daily in Bombay traffic. I am thinking of getting myself something slightly bigger for around four lacs. I have been thinking of the Palio 1.2 (old), the Xeta (new) and the Zen (2003-2004). I do not particularly like diesel cars, and because of the distance, FE is important.
I have been thinking of the Palio 1.6, but I guess it does only about 8kmpl, which would mean about 250litres a month.
I really like tha Palio, and the Zen too.
I live in Kandivili and Maruti service is just round the corner. Can those of you living around Goregaon to Borivili please give me some feedback on service of Tata and Fiat in your area?
There are a lot of knowledgable people on TBhp, so I am sure I am going to receive some pretty useful insight. So thank you all in advance.
Old 20th April 2006, 09:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Palio 1.2 too aint a good sipper. Xeta is a new model and hence I suggest you check with new owners regarding its mileage. Zen is a good buy; but its production was stopped and hence there would be problems when yoiu try to sell it. And hence get a second hand Zen.

Wagon R and SAntro are also good buys. Both give good mileage (or maybe better) like a Xeta.

Last edited by jkdas : 20th April 2006 at 09:20.
Old 20th April 2006, 09:23   #3
BHPian

Thanks JKDas. but somehow I can not get myself to swallow the tall boy shape. Can you suggest something else that does a mileage of 10 or more and fits the budget of 4? I guess even a 2003 Esteem would cost around that and mileage would be no problem. Though it is a lot bigger and I do not need the boot too often.
By the way, how much does the Palio 1.2 do?
Old 20th April 2006, 09:46   #4
BHPian

for people like you who travels for 70 kms, diesel is the best bet.

but since you doesn't likes diesels, and within a budget of 4L, santro and wagon-r are the best options.

i'd suggest to go for a new car only. and opt for a second hand car only when you really needs a bigger car in less money. they do had their fair share of problems.

santro and wagon-r shall give you atleast 10-11kmpl in any case.
be it 110% AC ON or rash driving or else!
xeta is yet to prove it mettle.
palio1.2 has everything except FE and service!

think practically and take a test drive of all cars before opting anyone and please do let us know which one you chose and why!
Old 20th April 2006, 10:04   #5
BHPian

I am not too practical, particularly when it comes to cars. At the end of the month, the total petrol bill will definitely be important, but everyday its the driving experience that one remembers. So, I may settle for a lower FE car if I enjoy the test drive. And given that I get 16-17 kmpl in my 800 even in rush hour traffic in Bombay, I am starting to think I am a smooth driver.
By the way, even the Palio 1.2 is good to drive. And it does seem very solidly built, particularly compared to my 800, and even the amby that I have also driven a lot.
Old 20th April 2006, 10:08   #6
BHPian

if FE is a big issue the best buy wud b indica diesel. if petrol is a must (these days diesels & petrols have not much difference in engine technology) then go for a zen. though the production has stopped it still has the best mileage, good a/c and spare parts will b there for years to come.
Old 20th April 2006, 10:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

From the looks of your posts, it seems your heart is yelling PALIO. Not as peppy to drive as M800 or tall boys in City traffic, and the older Palio notorious for not very fuel efficient... but not too bad either. Its build like a Tank. Very stable at high speeds.
So go get it!
Old 20th April 2006, 12:02   #8
BHPian

I am thinking of something I can enjoy driving. The Western Express Highway in Bombay where I do most of my driving does give sudden opportunities for bursts of speed, which makes the 800 feel risky. Which is why I am thinking of an upgrade.
I know nothing can feel as peppy as an 800. 0 to 25 is the range one gets to test the most in everyday office-going traffic. I do not expect any car to rival that, but there is more to cars and driving than that. The 800 feels like a tin box and its time I got something more solid.
While FE is important, which is why I am not seriously considering the Palio 1.6, I need something that is no gas guzzler and at the same time is fun to drive and feels safe.
If I were to rate the requirements, they would be:
1. Driving pleasure
2. FE
3. Ease of maintenance
4. Comfort
And of course the budget should not exceed 4 lacs.
I hope that make it easier to give advice. And please ignore my gut feeling about the Palio etc. (dceit) when you post. Thanks again.
Old 20th April 2006, 12:45   #9
BHPian

In this case I guess Santro would be the best bet and you may also consider Wagon R!!

- Manish
Old 20th April 2006, 12:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7
In this case I guess Santro would be the best bet and you may also consider Wagon R!!

- Manish
Butttt.. he doesnt want a Tall boy.

I suggest you strech your budget just a little bit and go for a Swift LXi. It should satisfy every requirements of yours.
Old 20th April 2006, 13:01   #11
BHPian

If you do not prefer a tall boy or Diesel, then the option is Alto Lxi in the price bracket. It has great FE and very low maintenance.

Or else, as Dceite mentions below, strech a bit and look at Swift Lx or I would suggest an Esteem Lxi if you prefer a Sedan!

Happy Hunting!
Old 20th April 2006, 14:13   #12
BHPian

You know Sumed/ Dceit, I have been thinking of the Esteem and the Swift. Maruti's service is unparallelled and something one can not ignore. But Swift does not seem very sturdily built, and many buyers seem to complain about small niggling problems of doors jamming, seats not locking in place and power windows failing. So, maybe I shall look for a slightly old Swift that has had all these initial problems sorted out. Or I might consider the Esteem, which has the same engine, one I just love.
But again, the Palio feels so good to drive. I just can't decide what to choose.
Old 20th April 2006, 14:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think the Zen should be a good bet for you. The Palio 1.6 should give you 10 kmpl in city with AC if driven 'araam se'. The Palio 1.2 is a good car, but I do not know or rather I am not too confident of it handling traffic in Mumbai mainly because of its sulggish response. On the highways it is a different matter though.
Old 20th April 2006, 14:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
I think the Zen should be a good bet for you. The Palio 1.6 should give you 10 kmpl in city with AC if driven 'araam se'. The Palio 1.2 is a good car, but I do not know or rather I am not too confident of it handling traffic in Mumbai mainly because of its sulggish response. On the highways it is a different matter though.
I feel it is the other way round. It has adequate torque to putter around in the city, but when it comes to highways, you will have to work through the gears to get any decent performance out of it. On the whole, 1.2 is sluggish. Even in cities, if you are in a boy-racer mode, it disappoints you. On the highways, if you can make up enough speeds in the lower gears, it is a good cruiser.
Old 20th April 2006, 14:29   #15
BHPian

I hear that Hyundai Getz provides good driving pleasure; FE is not the best, but comfort wise and with a 1.3 l engine, it should be good; may have to stretch your budget a wee bit, though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks