Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2006, 23:22   #16
BHPian

Here is the update guys,

Went today to a garage and put this car on the lift. No rust or damage. Was very clean. There was just a little bit of rust involving the very superficial layer of the silencer.
The paint looks real new. At first I thought that it is repainted? But my mechanic said that this was not the case and was original.
He inspected it carefully and said that it was accident free.
So good news.
I never knew that palio paint holds up so well but come to think of it... most of the palios that I see on the road do not seem to age as compared to the marutis or the hyundais.
Is this due to the thicker sheet metal?
One worry was the right headlight assembly was fogged up due to moisture contamination.
On other threads I have read that this problem does plague palios.
What is involved in rectifying this problem?
Is it redoing the rubber seal or replacement of the entire assembly?
Your inputs would help in this matter.

The test drive was simply superb.
This engine is a monster raring to go.
I thoroughly enjoyed myself driving this.
My other car is a Baleno and I tell you it takes a great engine to really please me. And man... does this car have it!!.

What I really wonder though is that both being 1.6's.. how come the Baleno returns a better FE than the palio?
Is it due to the DOHC of the palio or has it to do with the power/weight ratio?

The controls are well laid out but the interiors are no great shakes.
I found the footwell to be a bit narrow and the pedal positioning could have been better. They are placed just too close to each other.

Overall I was quite satisfied... however the seller would not budge from his expectation... 2 L.
I say...dang the 10k and go for it.
What say ?
Old 25th April 2006, 00:35   #17
BHPian

Go for it bro, sometimes you should listen to your heart than brain.

And congratulations in advance.

Do not worry about "One worry was the right headlight assembly was fogged up due to moisture contamination", not a big issue, I had this problem but it vanished after 3 days automatically, dont know how.

About Fe, palio is a heavy vehicle, big engine hence low fe, but who cares palio rocks.

Cheers

Major
Old 25th April 2006, 09:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight
Here is the update guys,

Went today to a garage and put this car on the lift. No rust or damage. Was very clean. There was just a little bit of rust involving the very superficial layer of the silencer.
The paint looks real new. At first I thought that it is repainted? But my mechanic said that this was not the case and was original.
He inspected it carefully and said that it was accident free.
So good news.
I never knew that palio paint holds up so well but come to think of it... most of the palios that I see on the road do not seem to age as compared to the marutis or the hyundais.
Is this due to the thicker sheet metal?
One worry was the right headlight assembly was fogged up due to moisture contamination.
On other threads I have read that this problem does plague palios.
What is involved in rectifying this problem?
Is it redoing the rubber seal or replacement of the entire assembly?
Your inputs would help in this matter.

The test drive was simply superb.
This engine is a monster raring to go.
I thoroughly enjoyed myself driving this.
My other car is a Baleno and I tell you it takes a great engine to really please me. And man... does this car have it!!.

What I really wonder though is that both being 1.6's.. how come the Baleno returns a better FE than the palio?
Is it due to the DOHC of the palio or has it to do with the power/weight ratio?

The controls are well laid out but the interiors are no great shakes.
I found the footwell to be a bit narrow and the pedal positioning could have been better. They are placed just too close to each other.

Overall I was quite satisfied... however the seller would not budge from his expectation... 2 L.
I say...dang the 10k and go for it.
What say ?
If your mechanic has had a very good look at the vehicle and given you the go-ahead! then go for it boy. Its a serious performance beast.

BTW, regarding the headlights, I don't know! Maybe its a problem with all palios but then if i was you i would have a slight doubt about the car, maybe it was a casualty of the Mumbai Flooding last year in August, can't say!. I would suggest you take your mechanic again and inspect the car for flood-damage. i mean there are a lot of car-owners who are selling off their cars in mumbai because of this very reason.If there is no problems with this car, then don't waste any time, just get the car ASAP.

Secondly, about the FE of the Baleno and the Palio! For starters, the Palio is a heavier car. And the most important reason is that the Baleno is a JApanese car, and i dunno what it is but invariably most Jap cars manage a great FE.

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 25th April 2006 at 09:04.
Old 25th April 2006, 09:10   #19
BHPian

Off Topic : Have the prices for a used palio gone up since tata-fiat joined hands? Any feedback on the tata-fiat ***?
Old 25th April 2006, 11:54   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
If your mechanic has had a very good look at the vehicle and given you the go-ahead! then go for it boy. Its a serious performance beast.

Cheers
I plan to finalise the deal today.

One question - who pays for the transfer.... the car is thane registered and I plan to get it mum. registered?

This car does not have keyless security ala Autocop. I plan to install this. Any inputs on precautions or the type of security system?
Thanks
Old 25th April 2006, 11:55   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by major
Go for it bro, sometimes you should listen to your heart than brain.

And congratulations in advance.

Cheers

Major
Thanks for the shot the arm. Have to follow the major's orders.

Will do it today.
Old 25th April 2006, 11:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
However, I would say do not pay more than 1.8Lacs. A fiat of 2003 vintage today will command that price. Even a Wagon-R of same age with around 12000 on the odo goes for around 2.10-2.20Lacs. Considering the resale value for a Maruti (vis-a-vis Fiat) you should get the picture for your planned car.
This is so true zappo... but this guy does not BUDGE. He has seen the saliva drooling and will be richer by 10k atleast.

" I want it all... I want it all.... I want it all... Iwant it NOW!!"
Old 25th April 2006, 15:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
My neighbour sold his 2003 Fiat Palio 1.6 with 20k on the odo for 1.80L. I think thats a fair price for the car that you looking for Dark Knight!

Hope it helps

Cheers
How come all the good cars are sold without even my getting any information?Myself searching for a well maintained 1.6 2003+ model with 15-20k on the odo.Budget 2L, can go upto 2.5L if situation so demands.
Dark Knight, if for any reason you decide not to go for the car pl let me know.Moreover, which part of Mumbai you are staying? I am in Malad and came to know that Anuroop on Goregaon are known for their a.s.s.Thanks
Old 25th April 2006, 16:44   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight
This is so true zappo... but this guy does not BUDGE. He has seen the saliva drooling and will be richer by 10k atleast.

" I want it all... I want it all.... I want it all... Iwant it NOW!!"
Haa haaa haaaa... as you said, dang the 10k. who cares. My funda in life, if I like something and then I realise that the cost though a bit high but I can well afford it I would rather go for it. 10k is nothing compared to what you are getting. The monster at 2L is good. Really good

By the way, keyless entry is fine. But if you are looking at it as any major security device please do read some other posts in the forum. For real security go for a good gear lock (made of high tensile solid, thick steel) and/or a steering lock (the high visibility ones). They add some real security. Those Autocop things are only good as central locking. Thats about it.
Old 25th April 2006, 19:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purnendubagchi
How come all the good cars are sold without even my getting any information?
Well, you need to be more lucky. You need to be meeting the right people at the right time . Anyways, why don't you try the used car section of Popular Car Bazaar in Andheri. I saw a few beautiful looking Palios there just a few days back. But then i did't manage to know if it was a 1.6 or a 1.2. But still, i would suggest you visit that place ASAP.

cheers
Old 25th April 2006, 19:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
How come all the good cars are sold without even my getting any information?Myself searching for a well maintained 1.6 2003+ model with 15-20k on the odo.Budget 2L, can go upto 2.5L if situation so demands.
How to make cool 50000/- bucks.

Dark knight buys the car for 2lakh and sell it to purnendubagchi for 250000/- What say (BTW this is a joke, bankers mind cant help it) he he..

Check automarindia.com if lucky can find some neat 1.6 palios

Cheers

Major
Old 25th April 2006, 20:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey you are right, this is a problem that plagues many Palio's. Even my car had this issue. I got the headlights changed at Anuroop and the problem was solved for good. I wouldn't worry too much over the fuel indicator. Should be a minor job. I had bought my car from Anuroop in Goregaon and the sales and service expereince was top notch. Have been extremely happy and satisfied with their service standards and pricing. For more details on the car and ownership expereince, you can read my review on the S10.

Congrats on your purchase. The car is extremely addictive. Get ready for it!
Old 25th April 2006, 22:01   #28
BHPian

Dude if you like it just go for it... You won't regret anything..But what ever happens don't let this deal get away from your hand
Old 25th April 2006, 23:54   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Quote:
Haa haaa haaaa... as you said, dang the 10k. who cares. My funda in life, if I like something and then I realise that the cost though a bit high but I can well afford it I would rather go for it. 10k is nothing compared to what you are getting. The monster at 2L is good. Really good
Same philosophy here bro... not economically practical tho... Still the brain has no chance when the heart takes over.

Quote:
By the way, keyless entry is fine. But if you are looking at it as any major security device please do read some other posts in the forum. For real security go for a good gear lock (made of high tensile solid, thick steel) and/or a steering lock (the high visibility ones). They add some real security. Those Autocop things are only good as central locking. Thats about it.
Frankly I am paranoid about theft.
A few years back I had a brand new 800 (less than 200 km on the odo) stolen. It had a good quality steering lock. Still....
Very traumatic experience. It does not only involve the emotional aspect of losing one's car.. but the financial loss and the headaches due to all the red tape and the paperwork really kill you.
BTW .. any recommendations on the gear lock. Manufacturer, quality etc. I am clueless in this department.

Thanks.
Old 25th April 2006, 23:56   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by major
How to make cool 50000/- bucks.

Dark knight buys the car for 2lakh and sell it to purnendubagchi for 250000/- What say (BTW this is a joke, bankers mind cant help it) he he..

Major
Good one! Major sense of humor or should I say economics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks