VW Polo GT TSI 250 79.87%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:48   #61
BHPian

Re: Sporty Petrol Hatch Showdown: Toyota Liva TRD vs VW Polo GT TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
Please note that the GT TSI also comes with Leather wrapped steering wheel, hand brake and gear selector.
Do note that i20 also comes with leather wrapped steering wheel and gear knob, a spacious cabin, split seats and a 6 speaker ICE. Do remember i20 is a feature-laden hatch and this is the second variant and Asta is filled to the brim with features, though not available in AT.

Comparison is between Liva and Polo, so let's end discussing the i20 now.

I intentionally didn't mention common features (ACC, Alloy wheels, Electrically adjustable ORVMs and more) to reduce confusion and keep the list short.

Last edited by Loud : 3rd July 2013 at 09:49. Reason: Typo
Old 6th July 2013, 01:48   #62
Senior - BHPian

With talks of the Micra Nismo and the delayed & forgotten launch of the Punto Abarth, this thread shall get very interesting after their launch (if ever). Is there any other hot hatch expected this year?? What about the spied Fiesta hatchback??
Old 6th July 2013, 03:50   #63
BHPian

My personal blind choice would be the POLO TSI. Reason?

1. Turbo charged.
2. Fantabulous & speed autobox.
3. It has a class character unlike the liva which looks like a budget car. The below par quality is evident.
4. Interiors look far better than liva.
5. The speedo is where it should be for an enthusiast liking. (isn't that the segment these cars are aimed at?)
Old 10th October 2013, 13:34   #64
BHPian

99% people complain or stay away from Liva and Etios due to the interior.

How hard/expensive is it for Toyota to revamp the dashboard design to a more conventional design with the speedo in the middle? That will win half of the potential buyers.
aditya101 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 10:49   #65
BHPian

Not sure if hijacking threads is the correct way to ask, but if its not, please move it to the correct section

I'm looking forward for my first purchase in few months, maybe by March 2014. I will be driving only on weekend trips and occasionally on weekdays.

1. I've zeroed in on the Polo GT TDI and the Fiat Punto 90HP. The interiors in the Liva was the only reason for not considering it. I was of the belied that the new 2014 Punto would be launched by Feb next year, but then they will be launching only the refurbish by then. Also, the 1.5 litre Polo will be launched in May 2014. Should I wait for the 1.5 to come out as it may get cheaper considering the 1.6 will come at around 9.9 lacs OTR. If yes, how much can it get lower ?

2. Apart from the power in the above variants, what will I miss if I go for the Polo Highline or Punto Emotion(non 90 HP) ?

3. I could even go for the Petrol versions of the above but the difference between the versions is not more than 50k-60k.

I'm aware of the horror stories regarding the service of these babes and the high spares' costs, but my heart doesn't want me driving a MASS vehicle like a Swift or i20.

And, I would be buying it in Bengaluru.

Thanks,
Dev
Old 29th November 2013, 11:24   #66
BHPian

I don't mean to offend anyone with this post, i have been closely following the GT TSi thread as well. Looks like VW are NOT giving the extended warranty on the GT TSi whereas, the GT TDi gets it.
Compare it with the Liva, it being a Toyota gives one peace of mind. No hassles, no issues with spares and service and above all, bullet proof reliability. I think we shouldn't even be comparing these two. It's like comparing apples to oranges.
The TRD costs 7.5L whereas the GT costs close to a Million Rupees.
Heart says GT, mind says TRD. Liva is for those people who want a hassle free ownership and a reliable vehicle that'll last for years.
GT is for pure enthusiasts who want to have fun and also a solid build quality.

Liva - Practicality
Polo - Unlimited fun

Cheers
Old 29th November 2013, 12:19   #67
Team-BHP Support

If the TSI had a 6-speed manual gearbox, I’d have gladly voted for it but the TRD wins it. The only downside with the TRD the way I see it, is its equipment - poor compared to what the TSI (or even the regular Polo Highline!) offers. But Toyota pretty much makes up for it in terms of the reliability and service. The 7-speed DSG DQ200 on the VAG cars is still pretty fussy on Indian roads - a risk not everyone would want to take. Performance wise, the TSI is a no brainer.

More than the body kit which distinguishes the TRD from the regular Liva, Toyota should have added a few essentials to brand this under the sports hatch segment. It does not even have a rear wiper/washer/defogger! The absence of the front fog lamps is another glaring omission. The overall plastic quality could have been improved by a few notches and provision of basic audio controls on the steering wheel please? However, an upvote for the TRD’s grey gunmetal shaded alloy rims - probably the best I have seen on a hatch this side of 10L. Smokes the Polo’s OEM Estrada alloys!

Sporty Petrol Hatch Showdown: Toyota Liva TRD vs VW Polo GT TSI-toyotalivatrd07.jpg

The TSI has one more thing that goes with it - after-market modifications. Have moolah to splurge? Mod as much as you would want to! Instrument cluster, GTI steering wheel with MFD controls and paddle shifters, cruise control stalks, HU upgrades to superior models, ORVMs with blinkers, DRL headlamps with projectors, GTI tail lamps, OEM armrests, dead pedal, the list is virtually endless. Robi's TSI is a perfect example of how well a TSI could be modded, vitamin M not withstanding.

Voted for the TRD regardless.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 17:31   #68
BHPian

Looks like Toyota has stopped shipping Liva 1.5 TRD variants to its dealers. Chennai dealers are not accepting bookings anymore.
Old 29th November 2013, 18:44   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

Voted for the TRD regardless.
I liked this part .
In the same tone, I would like to say "bought a TSi regardless".

BTW, to my eyes, this Toyota looks ugly (like many Toyotas). And instrument cluster in the center?

Last edited by anandpadhye : 29th November 2013 at 18:47.
Old 27th February 2014, 06:55   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Looks like Toyota has stopped shipping Liva 1.5 TRD variants to its dealers. Chennai dealers are not accepting bookings anymore.
Toyota sees the Etios Cross as replacement for for the bland & uninspiring TRD Sportivo. Etios Cross 1.5 petrol could be a petrolhead hit with toughened looks, same powerful engine, drivability & reliability.
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:10   #71
BHPian

I am leaning towards the Liva Sportivo, the reasons are,
1) Being a light car, its power-to-weight ratio is good
2) Excellent mod potential, the money saved in the Liva would get you
- TEIN suspension
- Sparco or an OMP steering wheel
3) With a little more money in hand, a bolt on turbo might not be a bad idea

I see this as a car with immense potential of being a track day car with strength to take on abuse.

Given a choice I would pick the TRD Sportivo over the Etios cross any day.
The so called butch looks does not appeal to me.

Yes, a Nismo Micra, Swift Sport & Punto Abarth would be fun for sure.
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:13   #72
Senior - BHPian

Even though sanity suggests Liva TRD, it just doesnt appeal or I can visualize me into accepting as the "hot" hatch.

In terms of everything other than the price and maintenance, VW would be the choice.
Old 22nd August 2014, 22:34   #73
BHPian

Easy duel, should be whether you want reliability versus emotional connect, brain versus heart thing and I am always termed as someone who thinks from my heart, though both cars are awaiting their fresh avatars, since this thread is still open for inputs, for me, I'd go with the Polo TSI, for a special car needs to .... ah feel special as well, the Tsi tugs those strings in the heart which connect with 'feelings', its a state of absolute bliss - nirvana.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 22nd August 2014 at 22:46.
Old 22nd September 2014, 16:59   #74
Team-BHP Support

I was looking around for a car for my mother to replace the Getz and we looked at this. It was nice to drive, great to place on the road and amazing space. But Rs 7.3 L and one still needs to pay for leather steering cover, boot shelf, fog lights, heated rear window.

We zero' in on a fully loaded i10 Grand instead
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:03   #75
BHPian

Is the toyata liva TRD still available or discontinued?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks