Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2006, 19:44   #1
BHPian

Indica or Palio which car ?

HI All

I am planning to buy a car next week. I was driving a Bolero for the past 5 yrs but now i really do not require a SUV type car. I am looking out only at the Diesel Segment...I have the indica nd the palio in my mind. I will be using it every day to commute some 50 odd KM, and would be disposing it after some 3 yrs. Pls suggest which car should i go for ??

PS: Can someone tell me abt the indica Turbo !! have less knowledge on it

Thanks

Jango !!
Old 14th June 2006, 19:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Palio anyday..... I agree that Palio does not come with Turbo or the CRDI (Though FIAT invented it) but still it is quite torquey... And Palio has the best build quality in that segment..

Ride comfort is another scoring point for the Palio.. After TATA-FIAt tie up the A** wont be a problem... It is anyday better looking car than indica... I always feel Indica is better suited as a cab rather thana car... (Personal opinion). I own Palio 1.2 NV Sport petrol and had not a single problem with it. Even I did not face any prob with my dealer in Pune instead he is easily approchable and good to talk to... Go for Palio/Petra D

Cheers
NeoOnWheels
Palio 1.2 NV Sport
Old 14th June 2006, 20:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Tata Indica turbo and palio D are good cars in their own right.

I would suggest you go for Indica D because Indica will fetch a better value after 3 years of usage. Also when and If palio crdi comes out it will fall further.

On the other hand Indica diesels have sold so much units that you will be able to build it from Ground again at every streetlight.

Palio looks more upamarket and plush. has got more refined engine and gearbox and driveability is good. Also coming from a MUV, It makes more sense to buy a palio as it is more car like than the Indica.

Otherwise both cars have their own strengths. better take a test drive to decide.
Old 14th June 2006, 20:29   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the info . also how much price difference would there be b/w the indica diesel and the Palio ... ? ..
Old 14th June 2006, 22:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Palio D all the way!
You will enjoy the Power and Torque of a super-refined 1.9 engine.
And all the other strengths of Palio - Build Quality, Safety, Ride Comfort, Space, Looks and now Service from Tata Motors.
Old 14th June 2006, 23:25   #6
BHPian

is it true that the indica engine has to be overhauled after 35,000KM. That does worry me !!
Old 14th June 2006, 23:29   #7
Team-BHP Support

To all those who are recommending Palio D, does tata even sell it? Who is taking care of service? If its only Fiat, I would recommend, stay away, even though its a much better car than the indica, without proper A.S.S even a mercedes is a useless car.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 14th June 2006 at 23:59.
Old 14th June 2006, 23:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango
is it true that the indica engine has to be overhauled after 35,000KM. That does worry me !!
no; its a rumour.
Old 15th June 2006, 01:52   #9
BHPian

TSK,.
Fiat Diesels are sold by Fiat dealers and the petrols are sold by both Fiat as well as TATA.But TATA's are under an obligation to service the entire line-up of Fiat cars including Uno and old Sienna,be it petrol or diesel.
Old 15th June 2006, 02:16   #10
Team-BHP Support

A magazine once published how are Tata dealers treating the Fiat part. Going by that I will be very scared to get a Palio diesel serviced from Tata. If there are no spare parts available and something blows then you are in trouble. Moreover this "obligation" is no garauntee that you will get a trained mechanic for fiat diesel. All it takes is one bad mechanic. So my advice, go for a Fiat diesel if you trust the local fiat dealer, not the Tata dealer
Old 15th June 2006, 02:52   #11
BHPian

TSK,
The funny part about that article published was that the dealer in contention was none other than Shaman Automobiles,which was previously a FIAT dealer in mumbai and is now a TATA-FIAT dealer.I remember reading that article too.So it was a case of a previous FIAT dealer now treating them like Sh*$!!
But I do agree that servicing FIATs from TATA dealers will take some courage and TATAs do need some time.But I have heard positive views about Wasan motors (Chembur dealership for TATA).Seems that they do a pretty good job.

Last edited by roms : 15th June 2006 at 02:54.
Old 15th June 2006, 09:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

All I can say is there is nothing to worry about with both the cars. test drive and decide which cars character you like more.

Indica will remind you a bit of your bolero while Palio is more refined and car like. palio is upmarket with a better engine and looks, while tata got more space, cheaper spares.

rest you can read in my post above. Either car will please you.
Old 15th June 2006, 09:57   #13
BHPian

Palio D is more refined than the Indica Diesel and Palio is a better car than Indica any day..
But keeping in mind you have to dispose it after 3 years an Indica will give you a better resale value..

Pricing:
Palio D ELX PS 5.40 lakhs
Indica DLX Turbo 4.52 lakhs
ex. Delhi

Last edited by streetlife : 15th June 2006 at 10:01.
Old 15th June 2006, 10:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

both cars have hteir merits and demerits.

But I had a nightmarish experience with my DLX turbo with a turbo malfunciton on a highway. cost me very heavily and seriously dented my confidence in Tata TDI reliability. sold it and boght a Palio!

one more member (Raj if i remember correctly) also had a turbo malfunction in his Turbo indica.

So I would hesitate to recomment the Indica turbo to anyone.

Also, the dealer in bangalore (Manipal) from whom I bought my Palio, mentioned tha tthey hardly sell any turbo indicas in bangalore since market feedback overall is not that good. Acc to them, the NA indicas are better for city use and more reliable than the Turbo.

Since u r in Bangy, just look around and see- U will not find too many turbo indicas around!
Old 15th June 2006, 10:15   #15
BHPian

My vote is for Palio D. Now it comes with reduced prices.

Contact Javali Motors @ Hubli @ 9844021795. A very nice person and they do a door delivery @ bangalore too.

I pretty satisfied with service @ concorde motors. Guys do a pretty nice job.

Even after 3 years, I guess, palio D resale value will be more than that of Indica. With that, you will get best ride/handling, build to last feel, exclusivity etc..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks