Brio AT 22 47.83%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2014, 08:38   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Nissan Micra CVT or Honda Brio AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
One more thing about the Micra that I found stupid was that the insurance was stupidly too high. It was quoted at 32k with 0 dep cap. On the other hand the Brio's insurance costs about 21k even though its cheaper than the Micra. Any idea why such a difference?
Those are just dealer margins and the actual amount will be much less if you buy the policy from outside or ask the dealer to match that quote. It shouldn't be more than 20k for sure for either of the two cars.

Do see the availability of the Nissan service centres near you. When I bought my Sunny there was a dealership at a stone's throw away from my house. But a year later they closed shop due to losses. Now I am stuck with dealerships that are located 30+ kms from my house and its a pain getting the car serviced specially since the service interval is 6 months.
Old 31st July 2014, 09:25   #17
BHPian

I'm going to add my 2 cents to this thread. My friends have been talking about buying a hatchback lately and asked me for my opinion. Since I put some thought into that, I'd like to add my inputs while it is still fresh in my mind.

The Micra was designed for EU markets and its regulations and expectations. The Brio was designed for Asian markets with less stringent regulations. On this basis alone I would say that the Micra is a better car.

Leaving aside subjective topics like styling, the general PERCEPTION is that the Brio is not strong car. Objectively it might be the strongest or most robust car but perceptions do matter.

As for resale value, my observations:
- if a car does not sell well, its resale value is also poor
- More expensive the car, higher the depreciation
- For small cars, higher the fuel consumption, lower the resale value (Automatic transmission cars).

Unless you travel frequently and extensively, dealers in cities can provide adequate support.

So my advice would be just buy the car that you like rather than worry about things like resale value or dealer support.
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 09:57   #18
BHPian

Will any of these cars be good to carry 4 adults and 1 infant (in car seat) ?
Or should up budget and go for a small sedan like amaze/Xcent. I checked the Xcent SX(O) AT ownership here on our forum and really liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 31st July 2014, 10:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Except for the A.S.S levels from Nissan and the Ground Clearance, there is really nothing else that goes against the Micra.
The Brio on the other hand is comparatively a bit low on equipment, refinement and NVH, and hence my vote goes for the Micra.
Old 31st July 2014, 10:06   #20
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys I am on the look out for an automatic hatchback for my dad. Now, I would have gone for the Brio over the micra anyday just because of the 4 cylinder engine but the major issue is unavailability of stock.

The other problem is that I am moving abroad for my studies on 18th August and no Honda dealer is able to confirm if they will be able to deliver the car before 18th. The usual reply is if you book today I will "try" to get the car before 18th.

Additionally, the Micra gives more features for the money like climate control, bluetooth, CD player, push button start, etc. For a premium of 40k on road. The Micra also has a CVT which is much more efficient. But the 3 cylinder engine is what makes me think thrice before booking.

I have to take a decision by 3rd of August so guys all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Note: I had considered the GT TSI but it is way out of my budget. The celerio and grand i10 don't offer any safety features.
If you go back in the thread, a member indicated that honda have temporarily stopped production of Brio AT to concentrate on mobilio. If it's for city drive only, CVT are inefficient for drivers new to A/T. Also, Nissan's ASS is not good in some areas. Please factor these and make a decision.

Also Brio has more power and I think Brio will have better resale value.

Last edited by D4D : 31st July 2014 at 10:08.
Old 31st July 2014, 10:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Except for the A.S.S levels from Nissan and the Ground Clearance, there is really nothing else that goes against the Micra.

The Brio on the other hand is comparatively a bit low on equipment, refinement and NVH, and hence my vote goes for the Micra.

Being a first time car owner, I want to make sure I buy a car which has very good ASS. In Mumbai, I can only see Nissan having 2 showrooms and one is like other end of the city for me (I stay in Borivali). I am not even sure where they have maintenance workshop. I am not adamant on Brio or Micra but exploring options and just getting feel of cars for now. I like grand i10 from reviews but it doesn't have safety features (AT version) and I don't like that.

Old 31st July 2014, 10:30   #22
BHPian

That is true. At the end of the day both cars are good. Buy either of it and it won't disappoint you I'm sure. I think even if I had bought the Brio (ignoring its rear end and dash board design) instead of Micra, I would still be a happy owner just like I am now owning the Micra CVT. Boy does that bring us back to the beginning of the discussion.. Confused?!
Micra has a bit more features to pamper you, feels more solid in terms of built quality and fit/finish dept. in my opinion. Brio would be the car for a spirited drive on the other hand. I ruled that out because city use being the sole purpose, how spirited are you going to drive in the city traffic? Would look like a moron, trying to do that. But you still urge for the peppier engine right? I know. Its hard to get over it.
As I explain it to you, I get back the feeling of confusion I had back then, to choose between these cars. Its irritating how every manufacturer offers some part of what you want and you can't find all these together in one car.
Polo GT TSI is an all rounder but when I finally convinced myself that the 2-3 lakhs extra premium is worth it because of the DSG, VW showroom discourages me to buy it!! I still don't understand what was the intention of that sales executive whom I spoke to...
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 12:44   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Being a first time car owner, I want to make sure I buy a car which has very good ASS. In Mumbai, I can only see Nissan having 2 showrooms and one is like other end of the city for me (I stay in Borivali). I am not even sure where they have maintenance workshop. I am not adamant on Brio or Micra but exploring options and just getting feel of cars for now. I like grand i10 from reviews but it doesn't have safety features (AT version) and I don't like that.

I don't think those are the only 2 things. The micra has much higher amount of body roll in comparsion and is the 3 cylinder engine doable? I drove it yesterday but the car that they gave me to drive was a stock car which had all the warning lights flashing and the steering was extremly light as though it doesn't exist. Well the very fact they gave me a stock car to drive which could be given to any unsuspecting buyer is itself a -ve point on part of the dealer. The overall NVH level was almost the same in both the cars is what I felt but when the rubber band effect kicks in the CVT is much more audible.

OTOH the brio had amazing dealer experience with at least 4-5 service centers and 2 dealers. But even brio has its negatives of which the biggest one is the interiors which are built to a cost and the bare bone equipment list. Secondly, the torque convertor is said to be not as effecient as a CVT.

Well, in the end it would depend on which car has maximum positives or the second way would be close your eyes and go for either of them without thinking. Oh god this is such a close fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I am facing the same problem with A.S.S. Nissan has only 1 service center in ahmedabad which is nearly 14-15 kms away from my house. Even though they have pickup and drop facility I would never use it (don't trust giving any one my car.) That means I will have to stick with one dealer.

Last edited by rockporiom : 31st July 2014 at 12:49.
Old 31st July 2014, 12:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Being a first time car owner, I want to make sure I buy a car which has very good A.S.S.
Quote:
Hey guys I am on the look out for an automatic hatchback for..

Hi,

If you guys are firm that you will be driving the cars in city only, then don't think twice between the two. The Micra is a better choice no questions. The CVT is too good for the city use, and older folks will love it. The brio is a good car for the young at heart. The brio will start making sense only if you plan to take the car for occasional highway trips (but the boot will fail you.. So go figure).

Regarding the A.S.S., both brands offer average experience. Will depend solely on the dealer. I can tell about Mumbai though. The torrent guys are only good for routine oil and filter changes. For everything else it's better to get work done outside. The kamla Nissan service has improved (was there about 4 months back), but they have a looooong way to catch up. Plus their service workshop is too small for my liking (compared to torrent i.e.)

Honda dealers are a little better in Mumbai, but in Gujarat they are no better than others.

F.e. will be comparable with not much difference. If driven properly, the Nissan will give a better one.

@ rockoporiom, if I were you.. I would have the micra. Enjoy

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 14:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Choice between Micra & Brio AT's : preferably Micra. Will be a tad more fuel efficient and if you are not in F-1 driving mode always, the Nissan will happily potter around town.
Also the JATCO manufactured CVT 'box is very reliable and used in many Nissan applications globally. Reliability is a given. Also with the Micra you get a bigger car with better build quality compared to Brio.

If you are looking outside this fold: maybe you can take a look at the i-10 Grand Auto. Technically it's not brilliant. But if you are primarily using it as a city runabout it will get the job done. Also fit, finish, perceived quality and after sales service are usually not a concern with Hyundai's.
Old 31st July 2014, 15:19   #26
BHPian

If it will be for your parents, the Brio is a better car to navigate around the city for elderly. Also mostly if you are looking at easy maintenance and good service, Honda's are better compared to Nissan's generally. Another point in Brio's favor is that is is a no frills car and does an excellent job for the purpose of what a car serves.

Lesser the amount of technology lesser are chances of things going wrong; if it were for you (mostly younger generation) then pick the Micra, but if it is for the older generation Brio with a closed eye. I was in the same boat and have decided to pick Brio for the reasons mentioned in the post here.
Old 31st July 2014, 15:31   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post

If you are looking outside this fold: maybe you can take a look at the i-10 Grand Auto. Technically it's not brilliant. But if you are primarily using it as a city runabout it will get the job done. Also fit, finish, perceived quality and after sales service are usually not a concern with Hyundai's.
I did mention in the first post that I did consider the grand i10 but the absence of safety features like abs and airbags has made it a strict no no for us. Same with the celerio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmania View Post
If it will be for your parents, the Brio is a better car to navigate around the city for elderly. Also mostly if you are looking at easy maintenance and good service, Honda's are better compared to Nissan's generally. Another point in Brio's favor is that is is a no frills car and does an excellent job for the purpose of what a car serves.

Lesser the amount of technology lesser are chances of things going wrong; if it were for you (mostly younger generation) then pick the Micra, but if it is for the older generation Brio with a closed eye. I was in the same boat and have decided to pick Brio for the reasons mentioned in the post here.
If it was for me I would have gone for the 4 pot without a doubt but because of unavailability of stock I am considering the micra. It is only after considering micra did I realise that it has much more features than brio.

Last edited by rockporiom : 31st July 2014 at 15:34.
Old 31st July 2014, 17:44   #28
BHPian

I think Micra CVT should be a good choice.
1. Nissan guys are relatively free than Honda people. They'll go extra-mile to fulfill your order. Honda's are too busy with Amaze-City-Mobilio.
2. Nissan is no more with Hover.
3. Three pot engine is good actually. Visit http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ownership.html

Quote:
The celerio and grand i10 don't offer any safety features.
for sticking to safety features.

Quote:
2) Well the SA banged the rear glass hatch real hard just to prove a point. The way he banged it assured me that it won't break that easily.
Till date I've visited Honda's 4-5 times for BRIO. And I always make sure that SA do the SLAM-BANG effect.
zalaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 18:22   #29
BHPian

Re: Nissan Micra CVT or Honda Brio AT

I went to Honda showroom today morning to TD the Brio. My brother did the TD and initially he faced issues since he had never driven an automatic before. He slammed the brakes twice in full force inside the compound of the showroom. Basically he was treating brake as clutch (also using left leg). Then he got accustomed to the car. The car is comfortable. There is lot of space. Looks tiny from outside but is spacious inside.
Rear seat passengers also have good space.
The SA did slam the glass hatch door to show it strength. I mean he actually slammed it very hard.
My father did not like small boot and he did not say much but I feel he did not like the car as much. I did not TD it because I don't know properly how to drive.

Then we went to Hyundai showroom and they did not have any AT vehicle but I wanted to checkout the SX variant of Xcent. We did the TD and it was very good. Car was super smooth and interiors were very class. Lots of bells and whistles. The SA here seemed surprised that I wanted car with safety features asking whether I have lot of Highway driving. Anyways we all loved the Xcent. We know it is sort of stupid to compare hatchback and small sedan but we want to keep options open.
We got the big car feeling inside the Xcent.

Anyways we do not plan to buy in monsoon so we shall wait for now.

Btw in Mumbai, Solitaire Honda gave me OTR price of Brio VX AT of 7.36 Lakh
Shreeram (not Shreenath) Hyundai in Borivali west (near Chikoowadi, just besides the VW showroom) gave me quote of 8.60 Lakh for Xcent SX(O) AT.
Old 31st July 2014, 19:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan Micra CVT or Honda Brio AT

I would buy the Honda Brio for the following reasons:
1) Love the blue shade it comes in
2) V-TEC
3) Taut handling and better dynamic capabilities
(both cars have cute and unique exteriors which I love, so it's a tie for me)

HOWEVER, since you've mentioned that you are buying the car for your Father, my vote goes for the Nissan for the following reasons:
1) Whether or not these auto-boxes are more efficient than a Human making the decisions in real world indian city conditions, is debate-able. BUT a CVT is still far more efficient than a Torque Converter unit and that is known.
2) Better interiors
3) Ride is less crashy
4) Better low-end torque delivery
5) Of all the hatchbacks I have ever driven, the Micra is the easiest to drive in the city
6) Better quality
7) More features
8) More safety equipment
9) More space

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Voted for Micra. Reasons are:

1) Better looks in comparison to Brio.

2) The irritating Glass hatch.

3) Brio AT costs about INR 6 Lakhs. Is it worth to spend such a big sum on such a small car?

Thanks
Looks are subjective although there can be no denying the interiors on the brio are ghastly and why doesn't it make sense to spend 6 lakhs on a quality petrol automatic hatchback? It is this mentality which forces auto-makers to give us less equipment, quality and safety in order to satisfy the desired price. I feel we ought to stop equating the price we pay solely to size, and start factoring in quality and equipment.

Quote:
2) Well the SA banged the rear glass hatch real hard just to prove a point. The way he banged it assured me that it won't break that easily. Well if you mean loss of privacy because of the glass then yes that is a -ve point.
Adi, the whole glass hatch being an issue thing is just a mental block mate. Even as far as privacy is concerned, there is no compromise that I can see. If someone were to peep inside your car from behind, their view is anyway limited by the rear seats and headrests in both cases; whether or not you have a large rear windshield.

Cheers and goodluck!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 31st July 2014 at 19:45.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks