Team-BHP - Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/155046-hyundai-elite-i20-vs-other-b-segment-hatchbacks-4.html)

The Sail UVA, though not exceptional in any any one department, is an excellent all round VFM package. It gets my vote.

I have an i20 (Petrol) at home and that was never my first choice. I was keen on the VW Polo. But, I had to concede as I was out-voted 3 - 1. I dont like how the car performs. Its a dull drive and probably the reason I prefer to take the cab than to drive that around. I am planning to get a Brio next year, as its a much better drive.

The new i20 is well rounded car and will fit the bill for most families, but for a drive there are far better options.

My vote goes to the GT variants of the VW Polo. Also the new 1.5D engine is a cracker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by s_pphilip (Post 3526150)
Hahaha, true, and ironically unlike the rest of India, in Goa petrol is a tad cheaper than diesel, despite that I prefer Diesels, especially VW diesels as they are frugal and powerfull.
Blame it on my middle class unbringing, I don't want to feel the pinch even after flooring the throttle, with petrols you drive in lower gears and you hit single digits instantly, you then feel guilty tanking up each week when you know you could stretch it to almost double that.
Diesels redeem you from that guilt to some extent, thanks to Turbo and Turbo zone power.
In fact that is why I left it as Polo with DSG, cos I am expecting them to launch a diesel-DSG combo. So for now its diesels all the way.

Your location TVM = Trivandrum right, just to let you know I am a Keralite, settled in Goa (2nd Gen). Namaskaram and happy Onam. Pleasure knowing you here.

Diesel DSG on the Polo? I heard rumours of it coming on the Vento, but yes - hopefully Polo gets the variant as well. But I have a doubt on the feasibility as the current Polo itself touches close to 10L OTR in places like Bangalore.

Yes, I am from Trivandrum. Currently working out of Bangalore. Happy Onam. :thumbs up
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeepmdas (Post 3526342)
Lols, how many members are here in our forum who own both a Punto and a XUV? What's the chemistry between the Italian belle and the Cheetah? That too when the logic

+1.

I am really surprised with this chemistry as well. Punto/ Linea owners are choosing the XUV 5OO for their upgrades more often than not. Guess it deserves a thread in itself! :uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 3527008)
Diesel DSG on the Polo? I heard rumours of it coming on the Vento.

Yes, I am from Trivandrum. Currently working out of Bangalore. Happy Onam. :thumbs up

I prefer the sedan over the hatch, so Vento/Polo, I okay either ways if one comes with a diesel + DSG combo, but if the diesel DSG isn't out, my preference still remains petrol DSG. Those accurate shifts may help give better petrol mileage.

I think this survey needed an additional option for Polo GT.
Give a choice I'd anytime prefer the Polo GT. Drove the elite I20 and I feel they should have given a 1.4 liter engine. The 1.2 is too under powered for the car. Had the elite I20 had a 1.4L engine, it would have been a potential choice.

The Elite i20 crdi is marginally quicker than the Polo tdi in the below comparison!

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/hyunda...-evo-shootout/

Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks-pp.jpg

Except for that mediocre 1.2L petrol engine, its Polo all the way for me. The lack of rear leg room is livable. But apart from it the Polo is a gem of a car. The best looking hatchback out there IMHO. Looks & feels solidly built. We used to have a Polo in the parking lot adjacent to our swift. The difference in quality of paint job was huge & instantly noticeable. Interiors are well put together.

The i20 Elite, though close in the contest & loaded with features, does not appeal to the heart as much as a Polo or a Swift though!

Note: Haven't considered the after sales support of VW here while voting. I have voted purely based on the cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoenthusiast (Post 3527265)
I think this survey needed an additional option for Polo GT.
Give a choice I'd anytime prefer the Polo GT.

I agree, though this survey is classified according to the car models, the difference in character displayed by the GT TSI and the 3 pot petrol is hugely apart and solely makes it a love one, hate another decision.

Since the GT TSI launch is around the corner, even I am rooting for the Polo here, that TSI+DSG+classic looks+handling makes everything else 'a blur'.

Currently the only two cars I'll pit against the i20 are the new polo & the punto evo. The reason being that these are all new cars launched just weeks of each other and have received good updates from the previous models/generations.
Now its upto the individual themselves upon deciding which one suits them the most.

So, its time for my cousin to upgrade from the two year old alto k10 in a few weeks time. The car has done only 7k kms, and will be given to his in laws to use it. Time to upgrade to a modern car now, it seems.

Going by the low usage of 7k kms per year, obviously it has to be a petrol. We can take care of service quality and maintenance, but priority here is
-ABS, dual airbags, rear wiper/washer and defogger is a must
-car will have 2 people sitting, plus a 13 month old baby. So, safety is paramount.
-Since the car will be only sparingly used on highway, mostly it will be confined to local running. So, 0-100 does not matter. My cousin doesn't even go over 60. Max 80 kmph.
-Ride comfort a priority.
-Going by the requirements, we have finalised two hatchbacks:
-Elite i20 asta
-VW Polo 1.2 (CL/HL) since these variants have the necessary safety equipment.

Both of them have mediocre engines, but i20 has a better mill. And the polo has better fit and finish, ride and handling, quality and sturdy build. I20 has plethora of features, and has somewhat flashy exteriors and interiors. Where the polo loses out is on perceived reliability, cost of maintenance and quality of service, though hyundai is no good either. But, Hyundai does ride decently and has a simpler to use controls. Its a confusing choice, but, for a person who is a novice, which car is better? Car will be kept for minimum of 8-10 years.
What we need is a good all rounded petrol car which is jack of all trades, master of none. And no compact sedans or marutis please.

Hi Sidindica,

Considering your cousin's requirements I'd advise the i20 elite asta over the Polo CL/HL mainly because the i20 is loaded and has loads of bells and whistles over the polo which would appeal to your cousin who I'm assuming is a novice, like reverse camera, which is standard on the Asta trim. Engine wise both petrol engines are not better than the other. Polo handles better than the i20 but at 80 kmph I don't think it's going to be a deciding factor. On the service/ Maintenance front since his running would be less he's going to end up using annual maintenance most probably and not based on mileage. Polo might be a bit more expensive but then again it would be marginal. On safety aspect both cars are equally good. Since the car will be in the family for 8-10 yrs considering long term resale again an i20 makes more sense.

Thanks
Sunny

You don't have to worry about being confused with any more options, I'll keep it to strictly the 2 cars that are shortlisted. I've driven both cars with the engine configurations mentioned above and I'll put my choice based purely on what I'd do if I had the same choice(s).

Elite i20's fit and finish is absolutely top notch, people do not give enough credit for it. Let's not forget that 2 German designers Peter Schreyer from Audi and Thomas Bürkle from BMW have designed the i20 from ground up, be it plastics, fabric, insulation and safety. i20 has always been one of the super-hatches in Europe which constantly got 5 stars, and infact at a point was considered a benchmark in its class. The new one should be no different. Yes in India it gets lesser airbags and lesser electronic safety assist features (like no TPMS, no ESP etc) which the Polo lacks as well so I would keep the 2 on par in terms of safety.

When I sat in the i20 it definitely felt intimidating for a second, the sheer width, the fit and finish and the information cluster felt a class above. It is no less in practicality as well with 1 litre bottle holders in all doors, central armrest with storage cubicle, wide well bolstered seats and rear a.c vents (the Polo lacks most of those).

The i20 has caught up a fair bit suspension wise to the Polo (which is also on the soft side) and except the light steering i20 does seem mature. Polo has slightly stiffer steering but still quite numb and personally I hated the 3 pot engine which was rough and throaty and felt out of breath compared to the 1.4 engine I'm used to driving. The Kappa 1.2 in the Hyundai also has dead low-end torque but it has great mid-range, moves quick & is pin-drop silent thanks to the 4 cyl setup, you just have to push the pedal a little deeper.

I'm still not saying that one car is greatly better than the other, because brand preferences vary with each individual. If your cousin just likes or loves a VW at first glance by all means that should be the car. But given that the choice is petrol and based purely on better practicality (rear-space) and better engine (very important for me), my vote is the i20.

Definitely the Hyundai. It has the more refined 4-cyl engine, and more features for the price. The top of the line Asta is quite loaded in fact.

Suspension and handling again are in favour of the i20, only because you said it will be used in the city most of the time, so the soft setup and light steering would be a boon. The Polos handling is better on the highway, but you stated that the car may not see much highway running so a moot point.

Lastly, since you plan to keep the car for 8-10 years, I'd feel that the Hyundai will be more reliable. I just have a poor perception of what happens to German cars after 5 years.

I am looking for a hatchback for my wife mainly for city run abouts and occasional highway trips (I have XUV for that). She has been driving a used i10 for the past 10 years and feels ready for an upgrade now. She wants something that looks premium and is also easy to drive.
Have shortlisted the following:

1) Grand i10: Most probably a petrol as 3 pot diesel feels like a disadvantage at this price point.
2) Elite i20: Probably a diesel as did not like the petrol motor in it.
3) VW polo 1.5 TDI: Again due to 3 cylinder petrol.

She really liked the looks and premiumness of i20 along with the features it offers but felt the seating to be very low (She has been driving an i10). Have to take a test drive yet though.

I suggested grand i 10 but she does not seem too interested in it however i find its petrol variant VFM.

She still has to have a look at VW polo (may be today)

Any suggestions on the choices?

It is such a tough choice between the I20 Elite and the Polo.

The choice would only be between the Top End variants of course.

I voted for the I20 because I like its looks and space inside and the features it gives the consumer.

However, I feel the engine (petrol) is hopelessly underpowered and I do not understand why they can't give the more powerful engines to these hot hatch back cars!

I love the polo's looks and the powerful engines that they provide but the equipment list is rather frugal and meagre.