Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2014, 20:20   #61
BHPian

Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Hi guys,
My grandparents are going to change their 2009 Ritz vdi, which has run 1.2 lakh kms.
Two of them live in Pollachi (a smaller town in Coimbatore). They have many health issues so only can sit in cars which are taller. My grandfather drives it in the town and they are chauffeured in for long drives, which they do once or twice in a week, to our place in kerala, or to various temples in TN. In total they cover more than 2000 kms a month. They park their car on the side of the road, and travel through narrow streets, so wider cars are not feasible. They plan to keep the car for 4-5 years or so. Looking into different aspects like service,dealership,practicality,etc I have suggested them, to test drive the i10 grand diesel . If they didn't like it I told them to look for a new Ritz vdi again. Do I have more options?
Please help.
Old 15th November 2014, 07:35   #62
BHPian

A New Ritz/Swift would be a more practical upgrade. Both these cars are time tested on Indian roads and offer good mileage with easy maintenance. Plus it commands a good resale value in the used car market. It is a win-win case in both the situations. The Grand i10 diesel has upmarket interiors but is punched with a less poweful 3 cylinder 1.1 L engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinmurali View Post
Hi guys,
My grandparents are going to change their 2009 Ritz vdi, which has run 1.2 lakh kms.
Two of them live in Pollachi (a smaller town in Coimbatore). They have many health issues so only can sit in cars which are taller. My grandfather drives it in the town and they are chauffeured in for long drives, which they do once or twice in a week, to our place in kerala, or to various temples in TN. In total they cover more than 2000 kms a month. They park their car on the side of the road, and travel through narrow streets, so wider cars are not feasible. They plan to keep the car for 4-5 years or so. Looking into different aspects like service,dealership,practicality,etc I have suggested them, to test drive the i10 grand diesel . If they didn't like it I told them to look for a new Ritz vdi again. Do I have more options?
Please help.
CountMe91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2014, 08:13   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Have a look at the Etios Liva as well.
Spacious, good highway manners, and practical. The seats should offer better support than the Ritz/Swift as well.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 09:58   #64
BHPian

Thanks for the reply guys
Toyota is not feasible as the service center is far from their place.
i10 grand was not comfortable for them.They test drove the dzire, and they were impressed. Especially with the boot being larger for their long journeys. Will the updated dzire launch soon? Should they wait?
Maruti true value quoted 2.53 lakhs for 2009 Ritz vdi with 1.2 lakh kms.
Old 16th November 2014, 11:21   #65
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

Looking into different aspects like service,dealership,practicality,etc I have suggested them, to test drive the i10 grand diesel . If they didn't like it I told them to look for a new Ritz vdi again. Do I have more options?
Please help.
Why buy a new car? 1.2 lakh km is not too much running for a modern car.
The grand i10 is not tall, Toyota service centre is far away. So why change?
One good reason to change will be to upgrade to ZDi version with ABS and dual airbags. Else don't upgrade, stay with the same car and maintain it well.

If you want to change, buy a Dzire or an Elite i20.
D4D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 11:37   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Why buy a new car? 1.2 lakh km is not too much running for a modern car.
The grand i10 is not tall, Toyota service centre is far away. So why change?
One good reason to change will be to upgrade to ZDi version with ABS and dual airbags. Else don't upgrade, stay with the same car and maintain it well.

If you want to change, buy a Dzire or an Elite i20.
I have advised them about not upgrading but they are hell bent on upgrading.
They will most probably go for Dzire ZDi. Will the newer version come soon? Heard it had rear ac vents, very useful for them.
Old 16th November 2014, 12:05   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply guys
Toyota is not feasible as the service center is far from their place.
i10 grand was not comfortable for them.They test drove the dzire, and they were impressed. Especially with the boot being larger for their long journeys. Will the updated dzire launch soon? Should they wait?
Maruti true value quoted 2.53 lakhs for 2009 Ritz vdi with 1.2 lakh kms.
Why not wait for 6 months and go for the jazz. Tall boy design. Frugal iDtec and being a new model will stand out of the crowd more than Ritz or Dzire. Also do consider the zest as well if they like the Dzire.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 19:07   #68
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Why not wait for 6 months and go for the jazz.
Sorry but the launch of Jazz is delayed. http://www.team-bhp.com/news/honda-m...ia-next-fiscal
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 12:24   #69
BHPian

Hi,
After much discussions and thinking they have finally decided to book Ritz Zdi. Will book today and delivery will be this friday it seems. I gave them the nod since it had more safety features from the current vdi, although i think that they could have used the current one longer.
There is a discount of 35k now with an additional 25k exchange bonus.
I thank all the members especially CountMe91,D4D and teambhp as a whole for the immense help.
Old 18th November 2014, 09:30   #70
BHPian

Nitin, Congrats on the final decision! Ritz Zdi with all bells and whistles is absolute VFM considering the available discounts. Go for the 4th year warranty and basic kits - normally you can get these for free.

Quote:
Hi,
After much discussions and thinking they have finally decided to book Ritz Zdi. Will book today and delivery will be this friday it seems. I gave them the nod since it had more safety features from the current vdi, although i think that they could have used the current one longer.
There is a discount of 35k now with an additional 25k exchange bonus.
I thank all the members especially CountMe91,D4D and teambhp as a whole for the immense help.
Old 24th November 2014, 00:25   #71
BHPian

Hi all, i would be glad if someone could help me out. I have been driving since 2014, started with an Alto, upgraded to a Baleno and finally a swift vdi. 6 months back, i made a mistake in selling my 5yr old 60k kms Swift vdi. Though i upgraded to a Linea T-jet, i let my dad use it and brought his i10 Asta back home. There began the problem, my dad just loves the Linea and i simply dread driving the i10. No offense to i10 users, but got to say i have been totally spoilt by revv happy engines. Though i10 is a breeze within the city, i have literally stopped taking those long weekend drives. Working the i10 engine in the highway is like flogging a dead horse. Though i am not an out and out petrolhead i can spot a good car when i drive one and i10 aint to my tastes. Now, i got my Baleno, 9 yrs and 45k kms old in my garage back home. It is worn out, my dad hadn't cared for it in over a year and i need to spend 50k to make a decent car out of it as far as interiors are concerned. And i did drive it last week and it doesn't seem like my old car at all-clutch vibration was terrible, gear throw was too rubbery, pick up was poor, and it felt odd to drive it. Nevertheless it brought a grin back on my face and i drove unprepared for 50kms without a worry in the world- nothing like a revv happy petrol engine! I am willing to spend upto 1 lac on the car and squeeze the last bit of juice out of it. what would you suggest? an upgrade to a new hot hatch or to squeeze some juice out of my baleno? i did consider selling my i10 and spending the proceeds on my baleno but it did sound strange r since my i10 is relatively new (22k kms) and my family vetoed the idea at once. Ideas anyone?
Old 25th November 2014, 09:49   #72
BHPian

Upgrading to a new hatch would be more sensible. Something in the lines of Swift, Polo or Liva will bring a smile to your face.

As for the Baleno - it is and will be a great car. But with time it will be difficult to source spare parts plus the resale value will fall. It is wise to exchange and upgrade to something newer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.surgeon1985 View Post
Hi all, i would be glad if someone could help me out. I have been driving since 2014, started with an Alto, upgraded to a Baleno and finally a swift vdi. 6 months back, i made a mistake in selling my 5yr old 60k kms Swift vdi. Though i upgraded to a Linea T-jet, i let my dad use it and brought his i10 Asta back home. There began the problem, my dad just loves the Linea and i simply dread driving the i10. No offense to i10 users, but got to say i have been totally spoilt by revv happy engines. Though i10 is a breeze within the city, i have literally stopped taking those long weekend drives. Working the i10 engine in the highway is like flogging a dead horse. Though i am not an out and out petrolhead i can spot a good car when i drive one and i10 aint to my tastes. Now, i got my Baleno, 9 yrs and 45k kms old in my garage back home. It is worn out, my dad hadn't cared for it in over a year and i need to spend 50k to make a decent car out of it as far as interiors are concerned. And i did drive it last week and it doesn't seem like my old car at all-clutch vibration was terrible, gear throw was too rubbery, pick up was poor, and it felt odd to drive it. Nevertheless it brought a grin back on my face and i drove unprepared for 50kms without a worry in the world- nothing like a revv happy petrol engine! I am willing to spend upto 1 lac on the car and squeeze the last bit of juice out of it. what would you suggest? an upgrade to a new hot hatch or to squeeze some juice out of my baleno? i did consider selling my i10 and spending the proceeds on my baleno but it did sound strange r since my i10 is relatively new (22k kms) and my family vetoed the idea at once. Ideas anyone?
Old 30th November 2014, 21:22   #73
BHPian

Hello BHPians, again requesting you all to shed some light. My family is very soon going to buy its first car, in which my father will learn to drive. The car would mainly run in the city, but there will be some long, real long family drives through the highway as well. Though my father is not a die-hard petrolhead like me(see my username!), he is a passionate biker and he loves a well-built, dynamically good, fun-to-drive car. The car has to be comfortable, for four at least. We are planning to keep the car for at least 6 years. Monthly usage will be<500 km, and we are fixated on a petrol.
So, what we need is the FTD factor, highway cruising abilities, comfort and solid build. Also, we have planned to buy a car with all the necessary safety features like airbags and ABS. So the cars I have shortlisted are as follows:
1.Toyota Etios Liva TRD Sportivo 1.5l
2.Maruti Suzuki Swift ZXi
3.Honda Brio VX MT
Please help!
Old 30th November 2014, 21:49   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Hello BHPians, again requesting you all to shed some light. My family is very soon going to buy its first car, in which my father will learn to drive. The car would mainly run in the city, but there will be some long, real long family drives through the highway as well.

So the cars I have shortlisted are as follows:
3.Honda Brio VX MT
I will suggest the Swift ZXi of the list next comes the Brio VX MT.

The Swift is known for its FTD and highway cruising abilities but the only problem with the Swift is space at the rear is low as well as the boot that is not fit for highway stocks. If you plan to carry lot of luggage during the drives then I don't think the Swift will be any good.

Seating is average at the rear IF passengers are well-built and tall. It is good enough mostly for 4 passengers in total.

Overall I will still recommend the Swift ZXi.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 21:50   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Hello BHPians, again requesting you all to shed some light. My family is very soon going to buy its first car, in which my father will learn to drive. The car would mainly run in the city, but there will be some long, real long family drives through the highway as well. Though my father is not a die-hard petrolhead like me(see my username!), he is a passionate biker and he loves a well-built, dynamically good, fun-to-drive car. The car has to be comfortable, for four at least. We are planning to keep the car for at least 6 years. Monthly usage will be<500 km, and we are fixated on a petrol.
So, what we need is the FTD factor, highway cruising abilities, comfort and solid build. Also, we have planned to buy a car with all the necessary safety features like airbags and ABS. So the cars I have shortlisted are as follows:
3.Honda Brio VX MT
Please help!
I would go for the Etios Liva TRD 1.5. According to me it makes the most sense as a family hatchback. Mainly because, let's face it; in India even our "premium" hatchbacks are basically superminis not really capable of transporting a family in comfort. The Toyota is very roomy (this will probably become your ride when you grow older and your friends will love you for not cramming them in the backseat of a Brio or some other less spacious hatch ), has a well sorted suspension setup, I honestly like the 90s design on the exterior, it has the most potent petrol mill of the lot (sadly there's no other petrol offering with a big normally aspirated lump of an engine anymore), is dynamically very capable, the only kinks in its armour would be the not-so-tastefully-designed interiors and the lack of feedback from the steering. The car's reliability is another plus for a first time car owner.

Both the Swift and the Brio are a LOT more fun to drive, however they pose more serious disadvantages as a family car in that they both have cramped rear benches, little in terms of boot space and need to be revved hard to gain any speed.

If your folks are open to second-hand cars, take a long hard look at the Jazz and the 1.6 Fabia

Cheers!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 30th November 2014 at 21:56.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks