Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2019, 17:59   #136
J4J
BHPian

Re: Best Car in North India for a 70 year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidic_fan View Post
My father who is 70 year old is looking to buy a new car in North India for limited city and highway driving (Approx 1500 kms per year run). Budget will be 4 - 6 lakhs. Please suggest a good choice.
My Suggestion would be :
Maruti WagonR: A good car and after sales experience is also good.
Renault Kwid AMT : Looks good on paper however can't comment on the after sales experience.
Maruti Ignis : A better option of the above two choices.
Hyundai Grand i10: Good car with good after sales.
Tata Tiago = Avoid. Tata are building good cars now but they face small issues frequently. The after sales is better but frequent visits will be a problem.

Since the usage is very less i.e.. 1500 Kms. Good care must be taken for rusting issues.
Old 9th September 2019, 12:07   #137
BHPian

Re: Which car for personal use of an elderly couple?

We are looking for a car which will replace a 11 year old MS Swift Petrol which has done 85K Kms. We have set the budget of 8 lakhs on road including all necessary costs (accessories, insurance etc). It is also to do duty in Mumbai for a decade minimum so we are ignoring Volkswagen, Renault and Tata (not yet ready for them) Looking only at the petrol engines as our running is not more than ~600 Kms a month. 10 years of ownership means it has to be supremely reliable and easy on pocket to maintain.

An automatic gearbox is not mandatory but then the budget is such that we will have to compromise on the products at a lower segment than premium hatchbacks or compact sedans. Other cars we own are 2 MS Dzire VXI and dont intend to add another one. Swift felt too light built than our current one and hence will be an option if no other car satiates us.

Below are our considerations (as per priority)

Toyota Glanza V (Same as Baleno but for the exclusivity as there are millions of Balenos already on road)
Honda Jazz VX (Post discounts it can be sealed at around 8 lakhs on road)
Elite i20 Asta Petrol (Post discounts)
Honda Amaze VX

Hyundai Nios looks from a segment below Baleno/Glanza. There is always the chance of going back to Maruti again if there is no car meeting our requirements.
The other optimistic wish is the Honda Jazz VX CVT but almost 2 lakhs more than our budget (with discounts is it possible to get it to ~8 L?)

Would really appreciate all of your inputs without looking at our considerations.
Old 9th September 2019, 12:57   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
We are looking for a car which will replace a 11 year old MS Swift Petrol which has done 85K Kms. We have set the budget of 8 lakhs on road including all necessary costs (accessories, insurance etc). It is also to do duty in Mumbai for a decade minimum so we are ignoring Volkswagen, Renault and Tata (not yet ready for them) Looking only at the petrol engines as our running is not more than ~600 Kms a month. 10 years of ownership means it has to be supremely reliable and easy on pocket to maintain.

An automatic gearbox is not mandatory but then the budget is such that we will have to compromise on the products at a lower segment than premium hatchbacks or compact sedans. Other cars we own are 2 MS Dzire VXI and dont intend to add another one. Swift felt too light built than our current one and hence will be an option if no other car satiates us.

Toyota Glanza V (Same as Baleno but for the exclusivity as there are millions of Balenos already on road)
Honda Amaze VX

Hyundai Nios looks from a segment below Baleno/Glanza. There is always the chance of going back to Maruti again if there is no car meeting our requirements.
The other optimistic wish is the Honda Jazz VX CVT but almost 2 lakhs more than our budget (with discounts is it possible to get it to ~8 L?)

Would really appreciate all of your inputs without looking at our considerations.
I would suggest the Jazz. A trouble free and stress free vehicle and also the seating position is suited to elders. The CVT is an added bonus.

I recently got a WRV for my parents and they are very happy. The Jazz is the WRV's parent so to speak and will easily last a decade.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 13:18   #139
KMT
BHPian

I recently had a bad experience with a sedan that was bought for an elderly person after trying it out at the showroom.

After just 2 months of use it had to be disposed of as both the seat and roof were low.

Needless to say we took a hefty haircut selling a 2 month old car.

Booked a Venue now as it is both small and easy to get in and out of.

When buying a car for the elderly please be mindful of both headroom and seat height during ingress and egress.

Last edited by KMT : 9th September 2019 at 13:22.
KMT is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 13:27   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
When buying a car for the elderly please be mindful of both headroom and seat height during ingress and egress.
Thanks for sharing this. Very important to consider a lot many things differently when we look for a car for our elders. Honda and Toyota somehow manage a lot more interior space than any other company. Hyundai Venue is very good, somehow I do not have the luxury to extend my budget and go for it.

Congratulations and hope he likes the Venue after a sour experience with Ciaz.
Old 9th September 2019, 13:49   #141
KMT
BHPian

Do try the new i10 Nios, its seat is higher than the Ignis.
The yet to be launched Maruti S presso may also meet your requirement.
Old 9th September 2019, 14:54   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Swift felt too light built than our current one and hence will be an option if no other car satiates us.

Honda Amaze VX
Honestly, the Glanza/Baleno itself is quite light a build as well.
Out of the options listed - I'd pick the Jazz or the i20.
The Amaze is also quite softly sprung, and a little on the lower side for senior citizens - but otherwise a brilliant all rounder!

Getting the CVT within budget may be a little tricky but a lower variant of the Jazz may just do the trick (V CVT).
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 09:56   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Honestly, the Glanza/Baleno itself is quite light a build as well.
Out of the options listed - I'd pick the Jazz or the i20.
Last weekend we went and checked out the Honda Jazz and Hyundai Elite i20.
Both the cars were within our budget. Below are few points we noted for each of them.

Jazz VX MT Petrol

+Good space management
+Bigger Boot space
+iVtec Petrol engine was smooth and silent
-Less features than i20
-Quality of materials used as compared to i20 was lower
-No DRLS

Elite i20 Asta Petrol MT

+ Well built
+ Great feature list
+ Looks better than Jazz (More European Styling)
+ DRLs
+ 6 airbags
+ Rear Wiper
- Claustrophobic when compared to Jazz
- Smaller boot space as compared to Jazz

My Uncle was quite happy with Jazz, not much feature oriented but liked the cabin and boot space for a hatchback. However, I have asked him to wait and check the Glanza Petrol MT as it is BS6 compliant. Uncle has been impressed with Jazz and is not very keen on Baleno / Glanza as he has used MS for a decade now and needs a change.

What are the disadvantages (if any) of owning a BS4 car for a decade from 2019?
Old 15th November 2019, 18:09   #144
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
I recently had a bad experience with a sedan that was bought for an elderly person after trying it out at the showroom.

After just 2 months of use it had to be disposed of as both the seat and roof were low.

Needless to say we took a hefty haircut selling a 2 month old car.

Booked a Venue now as it is both small and easy to get in and out of.

Was this the Ciaz?
Thats terrible for rear seat headroom.
Every time I get a Ciaz Cab and when the driver goes over our Indian road humps, I am sure that I leave head shaped impressions in the roof.
Its a car that is simply not designed for the tall or the elderly.
Old 15th November 2019, 19:06   #145
Senior - BHPian

Curious on why i10 is preferred over the Santro.
Does the premium between these models(top end Santro to medium variant i10) justify going in for the i10?

Also isn't the 5 speed AMT more fuel efficient than the 4 speed auto in the i10. Or is it efficient enough to override that advantage from an elderly person usage?
Old 27th November 2019, 17:26   #146
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I would suggest the Jazz. A trouble free and stress free vehicle and also the seating position is suited to elders. The CVT is an added bonus.

I recently got a WRV for my parents and they are very happy. The Jazz is the WRV's parent so to speak and will easily last a decade.

My parents also tested the Jazz CVT during their journey of research in April - May this year but chose the Glanza V CVT because it is more spacious and they felt it to be more comfortable. Plenty of space, headroom, easy ingress and egress and generally a good car. We bought that in June as soon as it was launched.
I would have loved to offer them the WRV but this is sadly just not available in AT form.
Old 27th November 2020, 16:29   #147
Senior - BHPian

Hey Folks
I need a quick suggestion. I am looking for a good ground clearance car for my parents. My father is in his late sixties and I am looking for a car with good height and ground clearance.
Basis on my experience and homework, I have shortlisted Honda Jazz VMT and Hyundai Venue S variant.
Can someone suggest is Jazz a good car with goof ingress and egress?
Old 7th July 2021, 12:12   #148

My Mom is 69 Years and she drives Hyundai Santro GLS from 2012. She is very comfortable, with the car, and has not complained till date about any physical discomfort. Mostly, she drives in Howrah & Kolkata. No Highway Run.

I think, Hyundai Cars are good for elderly as they have good yet soft steering. Maneuverability is also quite comfortable in busy roads.

I would suggest Hyundai i10 Nios for elderly as seating is good and steady unlike New i20.
Antaheen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 15:48   #149
BHPian

Dear members,

Looking for a suggestion to buy a secondary car primarily for my mother's ease who just turned a senior citizen and has lower back & knee issues.

Currently I drive a 2016 Swift Petrol Manual for city usage and a 2021 5th generation Honda City CVT as our primary highway ride. Our relative's WagonR has been with us for the past couple of months as my uncle was travelling abroad and my mother simply loved the ease of getting in & out of the car. My 4 year old kid also feels this car gives him better visibility to see the large cows on the road

I thought swapping out my Swift which has already done 60K kms and replacing with the new generation WagonR will be the easiest way out, until I checked the new WagonR in person. Sure the car looks tall, spacious and the boot is big enough for grocery runs and one day trips and I felt this is where the goodness ends.

I feel I am making a serious compromise to the driving aspect and in general the heavier car feeling which I could sense the moment I got back behind the steering wheel my Swift and I am willing to make a compromise for my mother's comfort but somehow the new WagonR did not impress the way I thought it would. Also the reality check that a WagonR can set you back by 8.13 lakhs in 2022

Hence my conundrum, what can be a good car that's easy from the ingress egress perspective for my mother, a decent enough automatic for my wife to take it out on shopping and school errands while also feeling safer?

We would prefer to have a car that ticks these three boxes primarily along with a decent audio system. My budget is 10 lakhs on road maximum and I will keep this car for a minimum of 5 years. I am not looking at pre owned options as I am a frequent traveller and want to have a reliable car for the family while I am out of state or country.

I am avoiding looking for anything within the Hyundai stable (no offense to existing owners).

Listing our order of requirements:

1. Safe car with at least two airbags and stable bodyshell, ABS and ESC.
2. Easy ingress, egress and general visibility
3. Decent automatic for inside Bangalore city usage, this car will not see the highway 95% of the times except for a rare one day trip or two.
4. We love our AC, needs to be strong.
5. Decent Audio system.
6. Budget maximum 10lakhs on road Bangalore to avoid additional loans.

Looking forward to valuable suggestions from our members. We are looking at getting the replacement car in next 3-4 months as we will have to return the WagonR by the end of the year.

Regards,
Bala
Old 31st July 2022, 18:14   #150
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeshmbalaji View Post
Dear members,

Looking for a suggestion to buy a secondary car primarily for my mother's ease who just turned a senior citizen and has lower back & knee issues.

Listing our order of requirements:

1. Safe car with at least two airbags and stable bodyshell, ABS and ESC.
2. Easy ingress, egress and general visibility
3. Decent automatic for inside Bangalore city usage, this car will not see the highway 95% of the times except for a rare one day trip or two.
4. We love our AC, needs to be strong.
5. Decent Audio system.
6. Budget maximum 10lakhs on road Bangalore to avoid additional loans.

Looking forward to valuable suggestions from our members. We are looking at getting the replacement car in next 3-4 months as we will have to return the WagonR by the end of the year.

Regards,
Bala
The WagonR is the go-to car for elderly and people with back problems due to its tall boy design and ease of ingress and egress, but if you are looking at alternatives, your next best option would be the Maruti Suzuki Baleno AMT/ Toyota Glanza AMT, although an AMT, it would be a good option considering the space and comfort offered.

the next best option, also the safest of the lot is the Tata Altroz DCA, costing exactly 10 lakhs on-road Bangalore for the XMA Plus Petrol, it's a spacious and 5-star safety rated vehicle with all doors opening 90-degrees and with excellent space on offer.

As far as sedan's go it's the Honda Amaze which would be your best option costing 10.04 lakhs for the S CVT Petrol. A spacious, practical sedan mated to a smooth CVT, it's an alternative you could consider.

Other options which could be suited for your use case are the Maruti Suzuki Celerio, Maruti Suzuki Ignis and Tata Tiago, but considering you aren't so much in favour of the Maruti Suzuki Wagon-R, similarly priced alternatives from Maruti don't seem a better option. the Tata Tiago certainly could be a consideration if you find the Altroz too expensive.

Last edited by itsmeparvathy9 : 31st July 2022 at 18:16.
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks