Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2015, 22:19   #106
Senior - BHPian

Safe and reliable hatchback for parents

Hello all,

I am on the lookout for a new petrol hatchback for my aging parents. Priced roughly 7 lakhs OTR in Mysore. It won't cover too much distance but my folks do like to hold on to their cars so I expect it'll be with them for at least seven or eight years, if not more.

My criteria list is relatively short:
1) At least two airbags and ABS (seatbelt reminder is a plus!) and a solid safe car.
2) Hassle free maintenance and excellent reliability, particularly since I will not be around to help.

Other things like performance, FE, comfort etc. are actually not that important. I'm currently choosing between the Baleno, the Figo and the Polo. Are there any other models that I should consider and what would you guys recommend?

We currently have a Maruti and the after-sales experience has been very good. Moving to another brand is fine but naturally, I am a little hesitant and don't want them to have an issue laden car, especially three or four years down the road. On the other hand, I am impressed with the Polo's performance in the Global NCAP crash tests while the other two are unknown quantities at this point. So yes, it is a bit of a puzzle for me at the moment and your opinions would greatly help me make up my mind.

Thank you for your advice!

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 13th November 2015 at 22:22.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 22:29   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Safe and reliable hatchback for parents

I think with the 7L Budget and safety features, you have your short list right. Since you have already had a good experience with Maruti, the Baleno would be the top choice.

Although in general VW After Sales has been iffy, I have heard good things about VW Mysore. So I would put Polo in 2nd spot. From build and solidity, the Polo would come out tops.

If you want to consider an Automatic for ease of drive, the Celerio ZXI(O) would be good.

What is the current car your parents use. I guess you would want it to be a decent upgrade.

Also the below related thread is a good read-About car that suit elderly parents.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...e-village.html

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 13th November 2015 at 22:30.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 22:53   #108
Senior - BHPian

A manual is fine so not really looking at automatics. Plus, I suspect the Celerio would probably do worse or at best as well as the Swift (whose structure didn't hold up too well in the NCAP test) in a crash while the Baleno would do at least as well if not better? I know this is speculation but it is the best I've got. Based on this, I think the Baleno is the safest Maruti (under 7l) unless there is something I've missed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
What is the current car your parents use. I guess you would want it to be a decent upgrade.
Current car is a rather ancient Omni so anything will be an upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I have heard good things about VW Mysore...
Interesting that VW Mysore is rated highly, but I'm also wondering about long term reliability of the car itself (i.e. how many times they'd have to visit the A.S.S. even if they have a good experience each time they do).

Thanks!
Old 14th November 2015, 02:43   #109
BHPian

When an elederly takes the wheel it is best to make them feel comfortable with it.
A car with less dimensions , high seating , light controls and good around visibility should be preferred.

IMHO , Wagon R with all safety kit fits well. Also, they would feel right at home after Omni. The only downside I can think of is weak bottom end from K10 engine.

Baleno is widest of all hatchbacks at 1745mm. This would make its presence felt whilst parking and b2b traffic.
The VW Polo seats are placed on lower side making ingress/egress difficult.

So test drive all cars with them and evaluate.
procrastinator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2015, 07:54   #110
BHPian

I have a Honda Brio and I feel it is a good car for you. It's small dimensions mean it won't be a problem in traffic (this is why I bought it). It has a seat belt reminder and airbags if you opt for the S(O)MT or higher variants. Ride quality is just about okay. It is good on the highway but the rear bounces around a lot on bumpy roads at slow speeds. You will get an automatic gearbox in the Brio for about 7.64L OTR which is a lot for a Brio, but the car is a great all-rounder. However, I suggest taking your parents for a test drive as my mother felt the position of the clutch wasn't comfortable but me and my father feel it is fine. Another thing, the car is very reliable and the service cost is fairly low. The service package that they have is pretty good, too.

EDIT: S(O)MT seems to have been discontinued. I think the SMT variant is now the EX and the S(O) is the SMT. I'd suggest calling up a dealership near you or asking them to come for a test drive as this should clear up any confusion about the variants and pricing. Best of luck!
AnInternetUser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2015, 08:31   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I know this is speculation but it is the best I've got. Based on this, I think the Baleno is the safest Maruti (under 7l) unless there is something I've missed?

Interesting that VW Mysore is rated highly, but I'm also wondering about long term reliability of the car itself (i.e. how many times they'd have to visit the A.S.S. even if they have a good experience each time they do).

Thanks!
I think the point that Baleno would be Maruti's safest hatch is a fair assumption.

The Polo has been around for long and should be quite reliable. But as mentioned in a post above, the low seating can hinder ingress for elders.

I suggest you get your dad to TD the Baleno, figo, polo and brio and see which works best. All of them suits your needs and I guess it boils down to personal preference.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2015, 08:39   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
...I am on the lookout for a new petrol hatchback for my aging parents. Priced roughly 7 lakhs OTR in Mysore. It won't cover too much distance but my folks do like to hold on to their cars so I expect it'll be with them for at least seven or eight years, if not more. ..
The best bet is the Wagon R or Stingray AMT with the safety features.
This is a car built for city driving. Easy to drive and light controls makes it very comfortable for senior citizens.
It's wide doors and higher seating position makes it easy for ingress and egress.
I am from Mysore and parking situation is getting bad over weekends especially in the city center and Wagon R would be much easier to park and remove from tight spaces.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th April 2019 at 08:03. Reason: trimmed quoted post
speedmiester is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2015, 08:57   #113
BHPian

With so many electronics on offer on the Zeta and above variants of the Baleno, I have my doubts about how reliable these would turn out to be in the long run. Anything from the Delta or Sigma should be a decent pick.

If possible, do stretch your budget to a Jazz SV/ V. The car has a relatively higher seating position and with lesser electronics, should easily last the distance!

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2015, 11:38   #114
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which car for personal use of an elderly couple?

Thanks again, some very valid points about larger vehicles being a little harder to drive for the elderly, so I'll certainly be sure to check that during the test drives.

The Brio is a nice idea and is now on the list too, thanks for that. The Jazz is currently out of budget (and it's the reason I can't get the Figo with six airbags either) but I'm hoping that with all the Baleno and Figo hype, there will be company/dealer level discounts on the Jazz.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 00:44   #115
BHPian

Hi All,

Reviving an old thread

I am looking for an used car for my mum. She's 75 and needs a car that will chauffeur her around and I'll drive when I go home. Car will be in TN.

Primary requirements in order of importance

1. She has knee pain and can't sit low. Back seat ergonomics come first. She struggles in my Vento.
2. Air conditioning - we live near the coast and so it's super humid and hot most times.
3. Budget - 4 - 6 Lakhs - not able to stretch it beyond this
4. Car will run about 300 - 500 kms a month - so petrol is ok.
5. Automatic - while she will be chauffeured around, I'll be driving it around when I go home (4-5 times a year). I am willing to pay the premium if it's reasonable. Else, a manual will do
6. Servicing - we live in tier-3 town where most dealerships are present.
7. A boot will help but is not a mandate. She would travel to neighboring places for a week visit (to her relatives place) and hence the luggage requirements

I've gone through the thread and looks like the Wagon-R is the stand out choice. But, when I asked her a while ago, she said that she didn't like the seating in the back (her cousin owns a Wagon-R). But this could change - not sure if that feedback is correct.

My current research points me to a Jazz (around 5.5L), an Amaze (4L) and a Corolla (4.5L).

What do you folks recommend? Would love to hear your views.
Old 6th April 2019, 07:29   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
..I am looking for an used car for my mum. She's 75 and needs a car that will chauffeur her around and I'll drive when I go home. Car will be in TN.

Primary requirements in order of importance
===================
My current research points me to a Jazz (around 5.5L), an Amaze (4L) and a Corolla (4.5L).

What do you folks recommend? Would love to hear your views.

IMO look for cars with a GC similar to the WagonR. The high ingress/egress point in such cars puts less strain on the knee.

Given your other requirements, I would suggest that you check out the Hyundai Eon (or the new Santro) Renault Kwid, and the Mahindra KUV 100 as well.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th April 2019 at 08:02. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 6th April 2019, 07:35   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've gone through the thread and looks like the Wagon-R is the stand out choice. But, when I asked her a while ago, she said that she didn't like the seating in the back (her cousin owns a Wagon-R). But this could change - not sure if that feedback is correct.
The Wagon R she would have sat in will in all probability be the previous version. Please go and check out the Big New Wagon R. The seating comfort has gone up by leaps and bounds. She would definitely love it. That certainly fits your requirement. Take a test drive yourself and the chauffeur her during the test drive. She will love it. I'll suggest to pick up the 1.2L VXi variant over 1L variant in AMT guise.
Old 6th April 2019, 07:50   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for an used car for my mum. She's 75 and needs a car that will chauffeur her around and I'll drive when I go home. Car will be in TN.
I suggest the Wagon-R. It is not tall, and importantly seating is more upright. It will be easier to get out also and not difficult to get in. Other car I found seating to be ok is the Xcent.

But definitely no low cars or cars with lower seating position, please.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th April 2019 at 09:03. Reason: Typo.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 11:18   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Reviving an old thread

Apart from the above said cars, you can also consider Maruti Celerio. It is also a reasonably tall car and the car is spacious too. It also fits your budget.

Take your mom for extended test drives and only after that, choose a particular car.
Old 6th April 2019, 12:25   #120
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest a brand new WagonR. It will be well withing your budget and the new model has better ergonomics.

You can always take for a test ride, a facility most Maruti dealers will provide without a murmur.

Most Viewed