Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2015, 21:20   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which car for personal use of an elderly couple in a village?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
To be frank had not thought of buying pre-owned for parents for this particular need. But now that you folks have pointed out, will at least scan that option if some good deal comes through. This will also allow to get a better car in same budget. The budget is sub 10L (8-10L)
8-10L!! You didn't tell the budget before. In that case take a look at the Ertiga ZXI as well. 10L on road in that part of country for sure and what amazing VFM.

Used you can search but will take time and because of roads there, most will have been through abuse.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 22:26   #62
Senior - BHPian

The budget as it stands in the sub Rs 10L region brings in additional options and here is where the Ertiga comes in.
What is quite surprising is the Swift getting no recommendations, whereas, its twin sibling Ritz is nearly a winner.

Last edited by rajeev k : 2nd April 2015 at 22:28.
Old 2nd April 2015, 23:44   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I just counted, this is the 5th Ritz we have owned in our family lol! We are fanboy family indeed.
Wow, now we know who is buying all those Ritz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
What is quite surprising is the Swift getting no recommendations, whereas, its twin sibling Ritz is nearly a winner.
Ritz has a much better back seat than the Swift while Swift is a better driver's car. That rules out Swift since there are better options like Ritz available which is cheaper too for this specific instance. If not for the quirky design of Ritz, we wouldn't have seen such a huge success with the Swift. The numbers would have been split between the two in a more even fashion. In this case, since looks are not a factor, Ritz escapes the axe.

Last edited by zenren : 2nd April 2015 at 23:45.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 05:42   #64
Senior - BHPian

Wagon R and Ritz are the main contenders here and is no wonder because the Ritz, which is Splash to the world, is a Wagon R replacement in several markets.
Old 3rd April 2015, 06:55   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Me and my brother had bought a Ritz Vxi in 2010 for use by our parents. Its a wonderful car. The only issue that we faced in our tier 3 city was narrow roads. Dad did drive it on few occasions but problem started when the driver refused to drive it citing difficulty due to its width compared to our Santro which he had been driving. So the Ritz was taken by my brother. Then we zeroed down on Wagon R and purchased a Vxi (Airbags and ABS version) in 2012. I would just like to state a few points that might help you.

* Ritz is a very capable car and has perfect ground clearance for village roads. We had opportunity of driving it over various types of roads and we have taken it to places where I would not even think of taking my Wagon R.

* Both vehicles have great egress-ingress and the doors also open too wide. You dont have to sit in or climb onto it. Just walk inside it. Bolero here would be difficult for parents as I dont see it as a comfortable vehicle for elderly. Rear legroom and space is good in both with Ritz scoring better. The seats are typical Maruti but suspension is softer on Wagon R compared to Ritz. A Wagon R with a load of 4 people might scrape a speed breaker which a Ritz with 5 people and luggage just glide over. Ride quality is better in Wagon R but Ritz has bigger tyres and eats potholes with more aplomb.

* Luggage space is very good in Ritz. We always have difficulty now if we have to carry a mid size strolley along with a small size one. In case of Ritz, both can be accommodated in boot.

* Our Ritz was bought before I had started following TeamBHP so its a plain jane Vxi without ABS. Had I been visiting this forum, I would have gone for a ZXi. So we did go in for Wagon R Vxi with ABS and Airbags.

* Now Zdi is also available so you can very well go for it.

* Only issue are the rear doors while opening. They have an obtuse angle curve compared to acute angle curve in others near c pillar and that can hurt the face especially teeth while opening the rear doors . One has to be watchful during few initial days and that would do in getting used to it.

* My driver had issue of width of Ritz which myself or my brother never had. We have driven it to places where we have taken Wagon R. So thats a perspective from driving point.

* Ritz petrol has K12 engine and thats a gem of an engine. In my city, it gave me and average of 12 kmpl and with same driving cycle, Wagon R gives 9.5 kmpl. Highway drives have returned me an average ranging from 19 kmpl to 22 kmpl in my Ritz with AC where Wagon R gives close to 15 kmpl. Ritz diesel has the national engine at heart so that shouldn't be an issue. Although I have not driven it.

* Ritz is better built than Wagon R and is more solidly built than most of Maruti vehicles. There is some robustness in it compared to others.

* Ritz feels more planted at higher speeds compared to Wagon R. Zxi/Zdi have better tyres than Vxi/Vdi.

* New Wagon R has only driver airbag and no passenger airbag.

At the end, I would suggest to take a look at Ritz. Having driven both, I can vouch for Ritz any day. I rate it as a better car than a Swift (no offense to those driving a Swift). My extended family has 3 Ritzs and 3 Wagon Rs. And I simply love the drive of Ritz and make it a point to drive when I visit my brother.

Our Wagon R has had atleast 5 times more issues in 3 years than our Ritz in 5 years. And regular service costs are in similar territory. I feel Ritz is cheaper to maintain although my views are subjective. Diesel might be costlier to maintain though.

Take a test drive of both and do make your driver test ride them back to back.

Happy Shopping!

Last edited by BoneCollector : 3rd April 2015 at 07:24.
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 08:36   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
8-10L!! You didn't tell the budget before. In that case take a look at the Ertiga ZXI as well. 10L on road in that part of country for sure and what amazing VFM.
Quote:
The budget as it stands in the sub Rs 10L region brings in additional options and here is where the Ertiga comes in.
Budget of 8-10L doesn't mean it HAS to be in that range. What I meant was that can spend up to that amount for the needed car. If I get car with most of boxes ticked for say 6L, then will be happy.

Ertiga (or any other bigger vehicle) won't work because of narrow roads/turns in some of the approach roads to the house in village.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Me and my brother had bought a Ritz Vxi in 2010 for use by our parents. Its a wonderful car. The only issue that we faced in our tier 3 city was narrow roads. Dad did drive it on few occasions but problem started when the driver refused to drive it citing difficulty due to its width compared to our Santro which he had been driving. So the Ritz was taken by my brother. Then we zeroed down on Wagon R and purchased a Vxi (Airbags and ABS version) in 2012. I would just like to state a few points that might help you.

Thanks buddy for the detailed pointers & comparison between Ritz/wagonR in similar environments. What you have mentioned is almost the similar situation with me. A driver driven car, narrow roads/bad roads etc. Hence the need for a small/nimble car.
Old 3rd April 2015, 09:17   #67
BHPian

My father is almost 75 and has been suffering from Arthritis for the past few years.

When I wanted to replace their existing Ford Ikon (too low), 4 years ago, I wanted to select a car purely based on ease of ingress / egress. I tried almost everyone available in market (poor dad was made to sit and get out from a lot of cars)

Only the following stood the test:
1. Wagon R
2. Honda City
3. Toyota Corolla
4. Indica v2

Of all, I ruled out Indica v2 (that time even Vista / Manza was available, but not comfortable) - Dad wanted a car with a boot, and finally we chose Honda City which was most comfortable for ingress / egress

I love the car (I drive that whenever I am in Chennai), and after being pampered by the Ford Fiesta (new, 2012) I am now unable to put up with the ride quality. I am able to feel everything on the road, and suspension is jarring.

So, I'd recommend you try the 2014 Honda City and check if its suspensions are better. I found the 2011 version super easy for my dad (SEVERE arthritis) to ingress and egress. He is 5'6'')

PS:- I should also probably change the car for my dad since it is 4 years old - Easy Ingress / Egress + Very good ride quality (Don't want to hijack the thread, but will follow )
Old 3rd April 2015, 09:21   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
So, I'd recommend you try the 2014 Honda City and check if its suspensions are better. I found the 2011 version super easy for my dad (SEVERE arthritis) to ingress and egress. He is 5'6'')
@Sriram, looks like you missed the point about Narrow village roads. Sedans & the Ertiga are both ruled out in this environ.
Old 3rd April 2015, 09:22   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Sriram, looks like you missed the point about Narrow village roads. Sedans & the Ertiga are both ruled out in this environ.
Oops! Sorry! Should have read the thread from the first.

Honda City is definitely ruled out
Old 3rd April 2015, 09:24   #70
Senior - BHPian

The budget made me forget the general area the car will be traversing more.
Now it appears that, Maruti would soon have an enlightened Ritz customer.

Last edited by rajeev k : 3rd April 2015 at 09:28.
Old 3rd April 2015, 10:20   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Used you can search but will take time and because of roads there, most will have been through abuse.
I thought about Ertiga but its size is an issue.

Viddy if you have the time to wait, you will get good cars even in NCR region.

Quote:
As i mentioned earlier cannot compare Swift and Ritz, swift is a delicate darling in comparison to ritz. Somehow Ritz has much better abuse taking capability, not sure but i think GC is also higher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Ertiga (or any other bigger vehicle) won't work because of narrow roads/turns in some of the approach roads to the house in village.
Then how will bolero work? Its even more difficult for those tight turns?

Quote:
Now it appears that, Maruti would soon have an enlightened Ritz customer.
Etios is also a good contender if you ask me.

EDIT: and someone mentioned about DDiS diesel for bad fuel over Petrol, somehow i am not convinced. The petrol engines that way are more tolerant to bad fuel, diesels will start giving issues faster with crde/i engines. If its old tractor engines it will run

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd April 2015 at 10:21.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 22:39   #72
BHPian

I came to know about the ground clearance of Etios Cross through our official close up review, that it's 174mm. Thanks Vid6639 for the detailed explanation and clarifying on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
As i mentioned earlier cannot compare Swift and Ritz, swift is a delicate darling in comparison to ritz. Somehow Ritz has much better abuse taking capability, not sure but i think GC is also higher?
Ritz and Swift has got the same ground clearance of 170mm.

As per our TBHP official review, ride quality of Ritz at low speeds is bumpy. I request the owners to clarify on this. Though the ingress/egress of Ritz will be very good, but the rear seat comfort cannot be compared with Toyota / Tata / Sedan.

Khan Saab, as you can stretch your budget to a maximum of 10 lakhs, why can't you consider Dzire Zxi ? Dzire Zxi is loaded with all bells and whistles and service/maintenance won't be a big problem. GC is 170mm and it's a sedan too. Rear seat comfort will also be good. Boot though not too great, but it's better than hatchbacks. As it's 100 % driven by the driver, Dzire can take lot of abuse too. Resale value will also be good.
Old 4th April 2015, 08:02   #73
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Hyundai I20 Active?
Lovely looking car!

Not too large. Quite compact and easy to drive. Great GC.
Seems a good choice to make, budget permitting.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 10:27   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hyundai I20 Active?
Lovely looking car!

Not too large. Quite compact and easy to drive. Great GC.
Seems a good choice to make, budget permitting.
I wouldn't say i20 is a compact car. The only dimension where i20 is small is the length, which is not really a big issue in villages. It is the width and turning radius that determines the drivability on narrow village roads. At 1760mm, i20 is wider than the likes of Ertiga, City, Sunny etc. all of which are just under 1700mm and has a similar turning radius of 5.2-5.3m. So the narrow roads would make i20 a difficult car to drive.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 18:34   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
Ritz and Swift has got the same ground clearance of 170mm.
But the suspension is sprung differently which makes Ritz hold the height with moderate load. Also as i said the structure is much more durable compared to Swiift, maybe the shape of the body (tall boyish) is contributing.

And ride is not that stiff, especially if you are comparing it to the Wagon R which is the next close contender.

Most Viewed