Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which B2 segment hatchback would you choose?
Maruti Swift 62 12.86%
Hyundai Grand i10 11 2.28%
Hyundai Elite i20 112 23.24%
Maruti Baleno 71 14.73%
Maruti Ignis 8 1.66%
Honda Jazz 36 7.47%
Volkswagen Polo 73 15.15%
Ford Figo 92 19.09%
Other (please specify in your post) 17 3.53%
Voters: 482. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2018, 15:00   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift vs the others

Voted for the Elite i20. It was launched four years ago and carrying almost same interior and exterior with a few changes, still it is the best looking car in this segment. One thing to note is almost all the cars in the contest are launched after the Elite i20 and IMHO still can't match the premium class of it.
Amit_Kapoor4750 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 15:49   #32
BHPian

Other than mileage why should one buy a Swift? Service cost in Maruti is almost same as others (7 to 8K). Their service engineers will also start with suggesting AC cleaning and engine decarbonization. For my Dzire clutch had to be replaced at 20K KMs. While for my 13 year old Santro, only clutch wire had to be changed in 1 Lakh 12 thousand KM. I think Maruti built quality is discussed across several threads and Baleno is a joke. Is Swift much tougher and stronger than Baleno? I don't know. I have not driven a Maruti recently, but the spongy brakes did not give much confidence. Mine was Zxi variant, though the complaints mostly come from Vxis. Paint quality wise, swirl marks came up in 2 years and fender bumper area turned black.

Two positive points which can't be denied any time:
1. In one full tank driven from Mumbai to Hyderabad. Just too good mileage.
2. In a flat bed, it runs like an Cheetah, good handling and speed. But with little load and inclination (hilly roads) it looses its breathe.

Cannot comment on other options but this was my take on Swift.
livetodrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 15:49   #33
BANNED

Nothing like VW Polo, especially GT Tsi. The feel of the steering and the joy to shift between S and D clogs cannot be matched. But it all comes at a sacrifice, SPACE!! Swift, I have owned 3 generations of em including dezire, very practical and robust but lacks emotion.

If it's gotta be swift for me, at least the free revving 1.4vvt or 1.3multijet 90bhp block with a quick shifting 6speed manual and all round disc brakes.

Do mind, my swifts have been daily drivers for work within rural regions. Else my family trips or weekend outing has been with VW Jetta or Corolla.
Old 27th April 2018, 16:29   #34
BHPian

Tough one I say! However, having owned many of the candidates here I have voted for the Baleno as it suits my current needs.

Swift: Still own the 1st gen top spec model petrol. Still my addiction when I need distraction. Used to be a daily driver but 100k+ km later, not any more.
G i10: Still own the 1st gen top spec model petrol. Father's daily driver. Do not like it that much due to the brakes being like an on/off switch. He is used to it; I am not.
i20: Still own the 1st gen top spec model. 75k km later, no sounds, squeaks, rattles or issues. Now driven by brother. Friend has the elite version, I like mine better.
Baleno: Lovely space extraction and now with an auto box in the top spec. Need a city beater with the frequent city outskirts highway runs. Considering this one seriously.
Ignis: I am a 6'2 well fed chap. My brother is 6'7 well fed chap. No thank you.
Jazz: Owned the 1st gen top spec. Lovely car. My mother's most favourite car even now. Sold it to make way for a car with a tail.
Polo: Sister had a petrol model. Always had complaints and service was abysmal. Sold in less than 2 years.
Figo: Uncle still owns the 1st gen top spec petrol. Has the solidity and fun factor that no other car has. I drive it sometimes too
N33raj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 16:36   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetodrive View Post
Other than mileage why should one buy a Swift?
Fun to drive factor is one of the most compelling reason for me to choose it over an i20, polo, Jazz, Figo when you consider petrol as your fuel. Didn't consider the GT TSI as its an auto and I am a manual guy. Yes in diesel guise there are better options though.

The 1.2 K-series is a gem of an engine brilliantly mated to the 5 speed GB. It gives you performance as well as FE. And as a product Swift is quite ahead of the Baleno in terms of driving feel.

Last edited by Waspune : 27th April 2018 at 16:38.
Old 27th April 2018, 17:09   #36
BHPian

Voted for the Elite i20. Although I was smitten by the new swift for quite some time and was about to put my money into it, there is this unexplainable disconnect which forbids me to go ahead, same goes for the Baleno as well.

The sheer quality of the i20 interiors and overall look and feel is very very hard to beat. The petrol though being lethargic is perfectly fine as a family car and city runs. I am holding off my car buying craving for a year, lets see if the i20 is still the car to beat when the D-Day comes.
sandx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 18:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

I thought the poll results would be in the following order -
  1. Swift (hands down winner because of being fun yet frugal )
  2. GT Tsi (fun to drive)
  3. Baleno (neutral but, the most VFM)

But, boy am I proved wrong. Elite i20

But, as mentioned in one of the posts, I did recheck the price of Elite i20 Era petrol (6.3L OTR hyderabad). It is a serious option for those who tend to shy away from Tata's/Ford's for various reasons. Also, unlike the lower versions of Maruti siblings, I think the Era version isn't stripped of a few bare necessities like the Analog tachometer.

The only gripe could be low FE and the actual availability of Era version. Hope, Hyundai has not played "only on paper, for starting price" gimmick.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 27th April 2018 at 18:36.
Old 27th April 2018, 19:56   #38
BHPian

I have voted for Ford Figo as it is the best value for money, performance machine hatchback segment.

Hyundai i20 is also a good car but overpriced in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
If I am buying a hatch today, it would be Figo diesel. Hence voted for the same!
Congrats Dr Naren. welcome to Ford Figo family. Have you considered Ford freestyle? As per news booking for the car have started. It has more ground clearance and new Infotainment system.
Who_are_you is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 20:10   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_are_you View Post
Congrats Dr Naren. welcome to Ford Figo family. Have you considered Ford freestyle? As per news booking for the car have started. It has more ground clearance and new Infotainment system.
I think you did not read the full sentence .I have not booked Figo or buying anytime soon. Figo / Freestyle diesel would be perfect replacement for my Grand I10. I will plan in few months .
Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 23:13   #40
BHPian

Voted for the Swift.
The Swift I believe, is the best upgrade from my present drive, the Grand i10. And since I share my car with other members of my family, I believe it will be the safest upgrade since the design appeals to most and so do the interiors. And the engine has the pep too, to keep us the males happy. And not to mention it also has the Maruti advantage.

But if I had to pick up a car for myself, it would any day be a Figo S 1.5. Reason? The engine and the engine alone. I personally don't care much about the dated interiors as long as the car has the safety equipments. And also I believe, an updated Figo is on the way. And now with the Freestyle, things have only become sweeter

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 27th April 2018 at 23:23. Reason: Framed sentence properly for better understanding
Tanveer02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 00:37   #41
BANNED

Tough choice. Voted for Ignis. Sure it's overpriced but I'm only interested in the base trim petrol for its VFM pricepoint considering the safety features it offers. Plus, I have a thing for quirky and less-than-popular vehicles.

I can't find anything wrong with the new Swift other than the fact that it's too common on our roads. I'll happily pick either of the two engines with a manual. Its high demand will probably keep the discounts far from the car, though.

I'll stay away from Elite i20. I have briefly driven the car and didn't feel the connection. Something was off. It was perhaps the wide seat that's designed for people with chests wider than a water bottle. The Beat feels like it wraps around me.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 28th April 2018 at 00:40.
Old 28th April 2018, 07:05   #42
BHPian

If it's a petrol, then Swift hands down.

If it's a diesel, then Ford Figo.

If I was a seven year old and asked to pick my favourite petrol car of the lot to sit on any seat other than driver's, then Elite i20.
Simply because of the style and the quality it oozes and hey, I'm only seven, I am eleven years short to get my drivers license. Why would I care how slow the 1.2L kappa responds on this one or how disconnected the steering feels.

Also, just realised how VFM Ignis is. The top end petrol MT with projector headlamps and touch screen comes at a full lakh cheaper than the Swift. This is before any discount. Last I heard, Ignis does carry 20-25K worth of cash discounts.
Old 28th April 2018, 12:23   #43
BHPian

It would be a toss-up between the Swift and the Baleno, for the following reasons in more or less this order of priority;

(i) cost and convenience of maintenance (mileage included);
(ii) looks;
(iii) bells and whistles; and
(iii) drive-ability (so only considering petrol cars).

Having said that, I chose swift only because the interiors are fresher (newer) and the Baleno still reminds of my existing car. If the Baleno were face-lifted with new interiors, I would then choose the Baleno.
Old 28th April 2018, 13:01   #44
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Jazz. Practical, fast and efficient diesel, good looking and well built. Would not pick any current generation Maruti because of their questionable safety credentials.
Old 28th April 2018, 18:01   #45
Senior - BHPian

Wore the hat of a new car buyer in 2018 as I voted for the Jazz (only top spec with Magic Seats). My choice was influenced by the one thing the GT TSI lacks (I mean, big time!) - rear seat practicality. The brilliant drivetrain of the GT TSI notwithstanding; with the new Polo launched elsewhere around the globe, I cannot digest picking up a brand new old-version in 2018.
Call it the mobile phone-version-syndrome

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks