Team-BHP - Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/209952-maruti-baleno-vs-toyota-glanza-would-you-buy-2.html)

Baleno, because Maruti service centre is 50 Meters away from my Building :) (In fact, our society and Wonder Cars, which is an authorised dealer shares a common fencing )

Having experienced service in both Maruti and Toyota service centers, I would any day opt for Toyota, even if the price of the car is slightly more. But in this case where the price is low, it’s a no brainer for me!

Given my experience with both Maruti and Toyota (each very good in their own ways), I would say Toyota gets my vote. And it's only a matter of time IMHO before SMC Japan winds up in TMC's group of Companies.

Personally, I would go the Glanza for the pricing and the overall customer experience I have had with them. Toyota service centres are not very crowded and they offer a quick 60Min service.
I really wish Toyota had thought of assembling the Glanza with parts sourced from Suzuki rather than just sticking a Toyota badge on it. They could have charged a premium for it as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000rpm (Post 4600747)
The poll should have a neither or none of the above option also.

This poll is based on a scenario wherein you have to select only between either one of these products.

For general comparison and poll between other B-2 segment hatchbacks, we have other threads.

If the variant I wish to buy is Delta, then I have no choice other than Maruti Beleno.

If I wish to buy the mild hybrid variant with Dual Jet engine then no sense to go with Maruti due to the huge price difference. Toyota Glanza it is then.

If I wish to buy the top of the line Alpha/V, then I will try to bargain as hard as I can with Maruti and bring home the Baleno.:)

Warranty and Service quality ( not service reach) are two major factors which would work in Toyota Glanza's favor. MSIL service workshops are overcrowded, because of that attention to details are missing. That's one of the main reasons, I switched over to Nexa Service for my Non- Nexa Car Brezza. And now Nexa service stations are also overcrowded.

At the other hand, Toyota is well known for its service delivery and after sales customer service. If I am in the market to buy the car and have to choose between Baleno and Glanza, I think I would go for Toyota Glanza.

Observation: 65% of the answers in this thread have the word "service" in them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AYP (Post 4600432)
2. Keeping the price of the other variants cheaper than the Baleno. Yes, can you believe that a Toyota costs less than a Maruti in the same segment? By a full 12 Rs. at that. :D

3. A better standard warranty of 3 years/1,00,000 km warranty vs the Baleno's 2 years/40,000 km.

Two questions I have:

1) What's the service interval of the Glanza? Is it the same as the Baleno, or is it hyper-frequent like some other Toyota cars that need to see the service station every 23 kms?

This hyper-frequent servicing cost can add up fast! And if you want to make good on your 3 year standard warranty you can't escape it.

2) I assume spare part pricing would be the same right now... wonder if things will change in the future.

OT: The Original Toyota Glanza ; Japanese Pocket Rockets ( 1996 - 1999 )

The Starlet Glanza was the sports version of the P90 (5th) generation Starlet. The name "Glanza" comes from the German word "Glanz", which means "brilliancy" or "sparkle". The Glanza S and Glanza V were only officially available on the Japanese market.

The Glanza S was powered by the naturally aspirated 1331cc 4E-FE which generated 85 PS (63 kW; 84 hp; 0–100 km/h in 7 seconds).

Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?-images-1.jpeg

The Glanza V was powered by the turbocharged 1331 cc 4E-FTE which generated 140 PS (103 kW; 138 hp) at 6400 rpm with a 0–100 km/h time of 8.3 seconds (factory brochure stats).

Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?-images.jpeg

With some aftermarket tuning and 1bar of boost, around 170bhp is readily available on the standard turbo. This car will be familiar to anyone who has played any of the Gran Turismo video games. Definitely, a 90's enthusiast's car.

http://youtu.be/u16HnuKpbm4

Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?-images-2.jpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 4600910)

Two questions I have:

1) What's the service interval of the Glanza? Is it the same as the Baleno, or is it hyper-frequent like some other Toyota cars that need to see the service station every 23 kms?

This hyper-frequent servicing cost can add up fast! And if you want to make good on your 3 year standard warranty you can't escape it.

It would be a bummer if the service interval is something like 6 months/5000 km. The Glanza is the first Toyota in India to offer Android Auto and Apple Carplay. Hopefully, it becomes the 1st modern/recently launched Toyota to offer 12 months/10000 km service interval. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 4600910)
2) I assume spare part pricing would be the same right now... wonder if things will change in the future.

Yep, even I share the same view. But then, if the service interval is every 6 months, it would mean almost double the amount of consumables( if not double, then at least 1.5 times) and to some extent, more spare cost as well. I strongly feel that the Glanza will have the same service interval as the Baleno. I couldn't find any concrete info about its service interval though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AYP (Post 4600960)
Hopefully, it becomes the 1st Toyota to offer 12 months/10000 km service interval. :D

I am using Etios Liva and the service interval for my car is 10000kms/12 months.

If the Glanza is better priced than / Rs. 1500-5000 more than the Baleno (assuming these prices are not introductory), it would get my vote.

In Mumbai - I find Nexa (S-Cross) and Toyota (Corolla / Etios / Liva) service pretty much on par - read average!

Only the extra warranty period would be the real deal maker which is why I would pay a slight premium (Rs. 5,000 as the upper limit) for it + from my experience, Toyota is a little more open to honoring warranty claims than Maruti.

In reality though - I'd probably look at other options that ride / drive better, and are built a little stronger.

Voted for the Baleno only because the JM Road Maruti ASS is very near. Also I have had a favourable experience with them when I had given my SX4 for Gearbox issues repair. The pricing of the Glanza is very tempting for some-one who wants to buy a Baleno. But these are introductory prices and might go up as per the demand.

That said, just because of the VFM pricing, I'm not letting Toyota get away with it. They could have done a LOT more with the car than just a lame badge swap & kit tweaking.
agree: Toyota could have made some prominent changes to differentiate it from Baleno like (Body Kit/Spoiler/Roof Rails etc), otherwise it feels like a same product being offered by two different brands.

A bit more info from ACI: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...nalysis-412948

Quote:

Originally Posted by avdhesh15 (Post 4600440)
If Toyota can't solve the issue, I can always de badge and take it to Maruti!

Are you serious? :) Everything is computerized today. You think they won't check the engine/chassis numbers on their system?