Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2007, 08:42   #76
Senior - BHPian

Well Chiru as far as comfort goes, Xeta>WagonR>Santro.
Old 7th March 2007, 12:36   #77

Thanks ess_a & dceite.

Is it true that WagonR's driving position is better than Santro? They claimed that it gives more view on what lies ahead of u?

However a santro die-hard told me that WagonR has more blind spots. Is it true?
Old 7th March 2007, 18:04   #78
Senior - BHPian

Both the cars give equally good view of the road. WagonR however has a slightly thick A pillar, which can sometimes obstruct the view when one is taking turns. Not a big problem however, you can get used to it pretty quickly.
Other than that, if you want to compare these two cars, i suggest you use the search feature, there are many threads dedicated to these two tall boy cars.

Last edited by DCEite : 7th March 2007 at 18:06.
Old 9th March 2007, 15:00   #79

I had test driven both wagonR and Santro. Santro did look smooth but WagonR is giving more view, i felt. I fealt my heart is with WagonR (despite its looks) - even though there are no freebies expect free insurance, i booked a WagonR Vxi just now and taking delivery next week
Old 11th March 2007, 08:59   #80
BHPian

Hi guys
My dad is also in the process of upgrading from his 800 which he has owned for a long time now. Now I wanted to get a bit technical with you guys.
The Xeta (with the 1.4L I4) produces 70 HP and more torque than any other car in its category. If you check the rpm range at which the peak torque is delivered, it's pretty low down (~2500 rpm) which is not too bad. Now more torque at lower rpm's and a bigger displacement (1.4L) means lesser downshifts and better acceleration at higher gears (3rd, 4th or 5th). That means better fuel economy and also better performance while going up inclines etc.
Now the new eRLX system in the Santro I think is nothing more than an upgraded ECU chip which aids in better fuel economy and throttle response.
So I think the Santro is better for the stop and go traffic and Indica for the long trips with a lot of people in the car.

Apart from the technical aspect, I needed some more inputs from you guys. Like the Indica also comes with a greater amount of kit (internally adjustable ORVM's, power windows, defogger etc.) at a lower price. But my only concern is the build quality, interior and the suspension. I don't give a sh** about fuel economy because I live right beside motor city Detroit but my dad does (since he's over 50 and wants everything to be cheaper).

So if you guys could shed some more light on these factors and compare the Xeta and the Santro, I'd really appreciate it.

PS: Sorry for the long post, but then you guys are awesome and always help a brother in need.

Last edited by sujaylahiri : 11th March 2007 at 09:09.
Old 11th March 2007, 09:48   #81
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sujay, you already made such a wonderful comparison between Xeta and Santro, i agree with all your points.
Now it all boils down to your personal choice. Go for what your heart says. Personally, i like to stay away from TATA petrol cars. The reasons, like you already mentioned. Its like a lottery, if it works, you'll be happy, if it doesnt.. umm..
Old 11th March 2007, 09:49   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiru71 View Post
I had test driven both wagonR and Santro. Santro did look smooth but WagonR is giving more view, i felt. I fealt my heart is with WagonR (despite its looks) - even though there are no freebies expect free insurance, i booked a WagonR Vxi just now and taking delivery next week
Congrats Chiru and do post some pics of the car as and when you get the delivery!
Old 11th March 2007, 10:54   #83
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
The Xeta (with the 1.4L I4) produces 70 HP and more torque than any other car in its category. If you check the rpm range at which the peak torque is delivered, it's pretty low down (~2500 rpm) which is not too bad. Now more torque at lower rpm's and a bigger displacement (1.4L) means lesser downshifts and better acceleration at higher gears (3rd, 4th or 5th). That means better fuel economy and also better performance while going up inclines etc.
Now the new eRLX system in the Santro I think is nothing more than an upgraded ECU chip which aids in better fuel economy and throttle response.
So I think the Santro is better for the stop and go traffic and Indica for the long trips with a lot of people in the car.
You have to keep in mind that the Xeta is a heavier car than the Santro. It is the torque per kg and the HP per kg that counts and I believe the Santro will be better on both of these counts. I think the Xeta may be a more comfortable car than the Santro and that would be important if a lot of people are travelling in the car. But if performance is your criterion, the Santro should come out ahead, especially in torque per kg.

Another factor is reliability, which is important on the highway (you don't want to be stranded with some break-down on desolate roads). Again the Santro should be the winner here. The Santro is also more maneuverable, which is important on the narrow, traffic-filled roads in India.

Last edited by rks : 11th March 2007 at 10:55.
Old 11th March 2007, 11:05   #84
BHPian

Good point rks about the weight. The Xeta is about 140 kg heavier with 7 more horses. So the power to weight ratio favours the Santro I guess. But then the Xeta has wider tires (165 R13 instead of Santro's 155 R13) which will help to put the power down to the road better. Also aids in better traction and handling.
Thanks for the quick replies though. Keep 'em coming.
Old 29th March 2007, 12:33   #85
Senior - BHPian

Depends on what your dad will prefer.. if economy is the case.. then he should go in for the Wagon R duo... that runs on a LPG but still has boot space (LPG tank in spare wheel well)..while still has a full 35 liter petrol tank.... running costs can be as low as 1.6 Rs/kms with LPG...and power is pretty similar (not same..but nothing to complaint about)
Old 9th September 2007, 23:40   #86

to @sujay

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post deleted. Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by DCEite : 10th September 2007 at 08:05.
Old 10th September 2007, 07:56   #87
BHPian

Sujay, apart from the technical pro's and con's of both Xeta and Santro, I stronghly recommed you ask your dad to test drive both cars, since he's shifting from 800 he may adapt quickly to the Santro, but Xeta may take longer, I drive a Zen and when I test drove the Xeta 1.2, it feels like you a driving a very very big car, there is a big difference in The EPS of Maruti and the PS of Zen, also I personally don't like the front seats of the TATA range, they feel very short on under thigh support, even my 8 year old Zen has more under thigh support. However when you compare cost to size, it's a no brainer that Xeta offers a lot more for the bug, to summaries, both cars have their positives and negatives, so let your dad drive them both and then take his call on which he finds more driveable.
Old 11th September 2007, 10:10   #88
BHPian

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Hi[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman] i am also in the same dilemma between Santo and xeta.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]I am going to use the car only on weekends since my office is hardly 4 kms from my house and it takes just 10 mins to reach there with my bike so i am not going to use the car daily but will be using mainly on weekends for one long drive in 2 months(around 250 kms to my native which consist of 5 ghats of say 150 kms) and 2 short drives of 100 kms around pune in a month.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]so for highway and ghats sections which car is more suitable ? santro or xeta ?[/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 11th September 2007, 10:11   #89
BHPian

Hi
i am also in the same dilemma between Santo and xeta.
I am going to use the car only on weekends since my office is hardly 4 kms from my house and it takes just 10 mins to reach there with my bike so i am not going to use the car daily but will be using mainly on weekends for one long drive in 2 months(around 250 kms to my native which consist of 5 ghats of say 150 kms) and 2 short drives of 100 kms around pune in a month.
so for highway and ghats sections which car is more suitable ? santro or xeta ?
Old 11th September 2007, 11:50   #90
BHPian

i dont how i missed this thread, but anyways congratulation on your purchase. trust me it is a beautiful car. truly VFM. i have been driving for almost one year now. just few problems here and there which are taken care of at the dealers point.

only problem this car has is the extra 200 kilos it carries compared to the next competitor, hence the low end torque is not that good, but on highways this a beauty to drive.

that is why i call this car fat lady of the opera.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks