Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2021, 18:42   #46
BHPian

re: Confused between the Tata Tigor & Altroz. EDIT: Booked Tigor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
They might be charging extra for replacing the headlamp operating switch since that has the fog lamp trigger integrated into it. All aftermarket kits will put a toggle type switch somewhere on the dashboard by drilling out a hole or using some non-OEM switch.

Best is to clarify with the dealer's accessories guy
The dealership will also be putting an extra on-off switch like the one below by drilling a hole on the dashboard.
Confused between the Tata Tigor & Altroz. EDIT: Booked Tigor-images.jpeg

Luckily both of my must have accesories (Remote Locking and Rear view camera) will be reaching within next week. So, will get these fitted during PDI once vehicle reaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I myself have recommended the Tigor to 3 close friends - all of whom are extremely happy with the car. And countless Tiagos which is pretty much the same car.

But since you have the Altroz also in the foray - I'd say if possible - stretch to the XM+ which fits all your requirements. Given that you retain your cars for as long as 10 years - the extra money paid will be ignorable over a 10 year duration. Just adding a different point of view to reduce the impact of the money spent upfront.

If not - I'd say go for the Tigor instead. This XE Rhythm etc adds unnecessary complications and adding things like power windows etc from showroom/after-market has its own sweet limitations like non integration with front central window control unit etc. depending on which kit you buy. Anyway the Tigor is a good car with a really useful boot. Looks stylish too.

Summary - If you can buy the XM+ then Altroz. Otherwise Tigor. My 2 cents.

[EDIT] - Ouch! Just realized from later posts that you have already booked the car. So this post can be ignored or laughed at. This thread just came into my hot threads listings so I thought the jury is still out.
Thanks for giving the confidence to go with the Tigor. Regarding the Altroz, the iTurbo will be i10's upgrade after a few years. May be next gen Altroz.
DevOnWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 21:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
They might be charging extra for replacing the headlamp operating switch since that has the fog lamp trigger integrated into it.

No dealer will do that.

Unless it came from the factory, it will always be a separate switch.

The best a dealer could do is utilize the dummy button space on the dashboard so it looks neat. It would still be a separate button.

Other than the warranty aspect, and consequently the price, there's not much difference in what a dealer will do and what an accessories shop will do.

Dunno about the latest Tigor, but mine has a separate switch for the fog lamps. It's located in the centre and is OEM.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 00:24   #48
BHPian

I love Altroz as a car and it's the most impressive car in the premium hatchback segment but I personally may never buy it because of the 165mm ground clearance. Ground clearance is a very important aspect for me and it should be when you have a habit of doing a lot of long drives as you don't know what kind of roads you will find in your journey.
170mm is the bare minimum expectation for me when it comes to ground clearance.I drive a A star and 170 mm gets job done in majority of situations but my friend's Amaze(2013) which has 1655 mm gets hit underneath a lot of times.
Ranabegins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 01:48   #49
BHPian

I maybe wrong, but doesn't the Altroz XE Rhythm come only with the 1.2L Revotron petrol engine? Is the turbo diesel available on this?

I have a slightly different take here and that is from the perspective of the engines on offer in the Tigor and the Altroz. Seeing that you do keep your cars for a decade, or more, I would suggest you try to acquire the best engine on offer, irrespective of whether you choose the Tigor or the Altroz.

Case in point, the 1.2L Revotron on the Tigor is a capable engine and doesn't make the car feel underpowered. However, the same engine in the Altroz, IMHO, does make the Altroz feel underpowered, especially in comparison to the 1.5L Revotorq turbo diesel Altroz or the latest Altroz iTurbo petrol.

The way I see it, the Tigor is a very capable car and the Altroz checks everyone's boxes. But the 1.2L Revotron is a better match in the Tiago/Tigor. All that said, I don't think you can go wrong going with either choice! All the best and let us know what you decide.

EDIT: I see that you have booked the Tigor. Good choice!

Last edited by Miel : 30th January 2021 at 01:54. Reason: Missed the latest from the thread starter.
Miel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 02:31   #50
BHPian

Since you want to use the car for long drives especially highways, I would suggest you go ahead with the Altroz as the the added width and bigger cabin space will not give you a claustrophobic feel. Over that the added width of the Altroz will give better high speed stability. There are few features like touchscreen, speakers,power windows,steering mounted controls etc can be added later on during the course of ownership. If you want to use the car mostly on narrow streets then the Tigor will be a better choice.The lesser width will give it an advantage of nipping in and out of gaps with much ease.
Neelanjan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 09:00   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
No dealer will do that.

Unless it came from the factory, it will always be a separate switch.

The best a dealer could do is utilize the dummy button space on the dashboard so it looks neat. It would still be a separate button.

Other than the warranty aspect, and consequently the price, there's not much difference in what a dealer will do and what an accessories shop will do.

Dunno about the latest Tigor, but mine has a separate switch for the fog lamps. It's located in the centre and is OEM.
Completely agree with you, the BS6 Tigor also have switches below the infotainment system. I asked them if they can replace those dummy switch set with that of XZ for the fog light switch, but they can't. They will put a separate switch on the right side of the steering. Will get it installed later on if the requirement is felt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranabegins View Post
I love Altroz as a car and it's the most impressive car in the premium hatchback segment but I personally may never buy it because of the 165mm ground clearance. Ground clearance is a very important aspect for me and it should be when you have a habit of doing a lot of long drives as you don't know what kind of roads you will find in your journey.
170mm is the bare minimum expectation for me when it comes to ground clearance.I drive a A star and 170 mm gets job done in majority of situations but my friend's Amaze(2013) which has 1655 mm gets hit underneath a lot of times.
Also the 165mm of Altroz is the unladen ground clearance, whereas in Tigor it's 170mm laden ground clearance. Once laden the Altroz's GC will further reduce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
I maybe wrong, but doesn't the Altroz XE Rhythm come only with the 1.2L Revotron petrol engine? Is the turbo diesel available on this?

I have a slightly different take here and that is from the perspective of the engines on offer in the Tigor and the Altroz. Seeing that you do keep your cars for a decade, or more, I would suggest you try to acquire the best engine on offer, irrespective of whether you choose the Tigor or the Altroz.

Case in point, the 1.2L Revotron on the Tigor is a capable engine and doesn't make the car feel underpowered. However, the same engine in the Altroz, IMHO, does make the Altroz feel underpowered, especially in comparison to the 1.5L Revotorq turbo diesel Altroz or the latest Altroz iTurbo petrol.

The way I see it, the Tigor is a very capable car and the Altroz checks everyone's boxes. But the 1.2L Revotron is a better match in the Tiago/Tigor. All that said, I don't think you can go wrong going with either choice! All the best and let us know what you decide.

EDIT: I see that you have booked the Tigor. Good choice!
That's one of the reason we booked the Tigor, the 1.2 Revotron is too lazy for the Altroz(more weight and wider tyres). It's even lazier than the old 1.2 Figo.
The same engine behaves completely different in the Tigor. Since Diesel is not the choice (very low running), the iTurbo is the must to have in Altroz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelanjan View Post
Since you want to use the car for long drives especially highways, I would suggest you go ahead with the Altroz as the the added width and bigger cabin space will not give you a claustrophobic feel. Over that the added width of the Altroz will give better high speed stability. There are few features like touchscreen, speakers,power windows,steering mounted controls etc can be added later on during the course of ownership. If you want to use the car mostly on narrow streets then the Tigor will be a better choice.The lesser width will give it an advantage of nipping in and out of gaps with much ease.
But that better high speed stability won't be of much help as the engine takes its own sweet time to reach there. Also the whole premium feel of the Altroz will go for a toss without rear power windows and small steel rims in the XE Rhytm. If budget is not an issue then Altroz XM+/XT iTurbo is the one to have.
Anyways, booked the car and awaiting delivery now.

Regards,
DevOnWheels
Old 30th January 2021, 13:19   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

No contest here. Buy the Altroz. Period.

Better space, better looks, better safety and the same engine.

Whatever you pay extra on Altroz, you will get it back during resale.

Tigor is a flop, Altroz is a hit
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 11:57   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevOnWheels View Post
Hi all!

This is my first thread here at Team-Bhp after being a regular visitor for over a decade and finally getting my membership on 24th of October 2020.
One of my favorite thread here is GTO’s http://https://www.team-bhp.com/foru...rade-swap.html and we seriously follow it to the brim.

The link for GTO's thread seems to be erroneous.

This is the working link -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ownin...rade-swap.html (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?)
arvindrox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 13:00   #54
BHPian

Agree with GTO. Go for the superior car. In the long term you will be happy with your decision. The turbo would be great if you can fit in your budget. This space is pretty confusing , for every 10-20k extra you get options from various manufacturers, so just go with what your heart says.
Pashin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 13:33   #55
BHPian

I'd recommend you go for the tigor. The altroz is still more premium but the reason is you'd have to fix accessories from the dealership, which means tinkering with the factory finish, which means you'll probably have to live with rattling which will start 2-3 months after your purchase.
I have a Tiago XZ and I did that mistake once, not to fit any accessories, but because there was a really faint rattle sound from the speedometer area, something which probably only my ear can pick and it was annoying. I took the car to them to fix, my SC being Hyson Motors Thrissur. They lied about fixing it twice and actually did not do anything. Third time I took the car, they probably thought I will not give up and fixed three pieces of packing material in the gap between plastic shade thingy over the speedometer console.
I caught it and they finally had to open the dashboard up.

Now I have multiple rattles and that old rattle ( which has gotten louder ) which I originally took my car to them for.

Bottom-line is, don't ever let the SC make any major changes to the factory finish. You'll regret it for the rest of your ownership of the car.

Last edited by SaiSW : 31st January 2021 at 13:35.
SaiSW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 13:36   #56
BHPian

I think you have already made your choice, and yes Congrats on your new Tigor.

I would have suggested stretching for Altrtoz XM but yeah each of us has a target budget, so that's fine. Since you will be keeping the car for 10+ years hopefully a tried and tested product like Tigor is good, and not much to be worried about the resale value as the car will be depreciated by then. Also, I don't think the parts will ever be an issue for Tigor even if in case the car is retired by TATA later. Everything except for a few bodyparts is shared with the Tiago so that shouldn't be a point of concern. All the best!
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 14:26   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashin View Post
Agree with GTO. Go for the superior car. In the long term you will be happy with your decision. The turbo would be great if you can fit in your budget. This space is pretty confusing , for every 10-20k extra you get options from various manufacturers, so just go with what your heart says.
Already booked the car(Tigor XM) and awaiting delivery now. Although the heart was for Altroz, but I couldn't make up my mind to fit rear power windows from outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
I'd recommend you go for the tigor. The altroz is still more premium but the reason is you'd have to fix accessories from the dealership, which means tinkering with the factory finish, which means you'll probably have to live with rattling which will start 2-3 months after your purchase.
I have a Tiago XZ and I did that mistake once, not to fit any accessories, but because there was a really faint rattle sound from the speedometer area, something which probably only my ear can pick and it was annoying. I took the car to them to fix, my SC being Hyson Motors Thrissur. They lied about fixing it twice and actually did not do anything. Third time I took the car, they probably thought I will not give up and fixed three pieces of packing material in the gap between plastic shade thingy over the speedometer console.
I caught it and they finally had to open the dashboard up.

Now I have multiple rattles and that old rattle ( which has gotten louder ) which I originally took my car to them for.

Bottom-line is, don't ever let the SC make any major changes to the factory finish. You'll regret it for the rest of your ownership of the car.
Sorry to hear that. Infact that's the only reason I didn't go for the Altroz XE-Rhytm as door trims would be removed welcoming rattles after a few months along with the question mark on reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
I think you have already made your choice, and yes Congrats on your new Tigor.

I would have suggested stretching for Altrtoz XM but yeah each of us has a target budget, so that's fine. Since you will be keeping the car for 10+ years hopefully a tried and tested product like Tigor is good, and not much to be worried about the resale value as the car will be depreciated by then. Also, I don't think the parts will ever be an issue for Tigor even if in case the car is retired by TATA later. Everything except for a few bodyparts is shared with the Tiago so that shouldn't be a point of concern. All the best!
Thanks you.
The Altroz XM doesn't make sense as one would pay the extra 60k(now 30k after the price increase of XE Rhytm) over the XE Rhytm only for rear power windows and electrically adjustable ORVM, and miss out on rear speakers and remote central locking. The XE Rhytm is great value for money but the rear power windows are must have in today's generation. Better to go for XM+, but in my case the budget was the concern. Also since Altroz is a new model the niggles are still in the process of getting sorted out, whereas the Tigor is already sorted a sorted out product.
DevOnWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 17:51   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... but I couldn't make up my mind to fit rear power windows from outside.
In all my cars I have never much needed to open the rear windows, except when allowing rear passengers to galk to relatives waiving us goodbye.

Front power windows are essential. Rear not so.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 04:44   #59
BHPian

Quote:

Also the 165mm of Altroz is the unladen ground clearance, whereas in Tigor it's 170mm laden ground clearance. Once laden the Altroz's GC will further reduce.

Regards,
DevOnWheels
Where did you get this info, I think it's a sales trick. Tata mentions the GC of both the vehicles unladen.
Old 1st February 2021, 08:17   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
In all my cars I have never much needed to open the rear windows, except when allowing rear passengers to galk to relatives waiving us goodbye.

Front power windows are essential. Rear not so.
Yes, it's definitely true that the rear power windows are used once in a blue moon, but having manual winders just spoils the premium feel one gets in the Altroz.

Anyways, booked the car now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranabegins View Post
Where did you get this info, I think it's a sales trick. Tata mentions the GC of both the vehicles unladen.
It's mentioned in Cardekho.
Confused between the Tata Tigor & Altroz. EDIT: Booked Tigor-screenshot_20210201080439.png
Thanks for correcting, it's unladen as mentioned in Brochure.
brochure.pdf

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks