Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 09:13   #31
BHPian

Re: A needle in the haystack | An automatic city car

Did you look at Amaze ? the Petrol S version with CVT comes to 9.5 OTR. According to some news articles it scored a solid 4 star safety rating as well.
gb97ce6 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 10:16   #32
BHPian

Greetings,
I'm in the same dilemma since a year.
Unfortunately there's no proper CVT or torque converter in the budget you mentioned.
Datsun has CVT in their Portfolio, and in budget.
Why don't the Big Players give us CVT options?
Only Baleno has CVT in their entire maruti line up!
All we get are a plethora of AMT's.
Not that AMT's are bad.
Nevertheless I'm inclined towards Ignis Zeta only for the Service Maruti offers and peace of mind as the car if only to be used in the City.
Welcome to the Team and Hope your decision will influence and guide me as well.
Stay Safe.
matchvan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 13:01   #33
BHPian

Welcome to TBHP doc&drive.

If you are adamant about getting a new car, you should take a call between the Tiago AMT and Figo AT depending on what you want. AMT is livable and if your partner is okay with that AMT shift it's better to go with Tiago, it is safer & can save you a couple of lacks as well. If you are willing to push at 9.5lc+ then have a look at the Renault-Nissan twins along with the Figo.

The best thing to do would be to look out for used cars with CVT or TC. There are some decent looking examples:
A needle in the haystack | An automatic city car-1.jpg

A needle in the haystack | An automatic city car-2.jpg

A needle in the haystack | An automatic city car-3.jpg

OR, MAYBE THESE??

A needle in the haystack | An automatic city car-5.jpg

A needle in the haystack | An automatic city car-4.jpg
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 16:07   #34
BHPian

Welcome to Team Bhp Doc & Drive.

I'm in a similar dilemma but my main ride is an Ecosport. I'm checking the pre owned route for a Polo TSI/Figo AT as these 2 cars have the best build+ride+handling. If you get the 1.5 Figo AT with Torque converter, that's a rare package because that car has the EcoSport AT engine+gearbox and service bills will be 5k/year.

I wouldn't prefer AMT's as the long term reliability is a gamble and some AMT's don't get hill assist/ESP which IMO is a must in AT is what I feel

GT TSI or the torque converter 1.0 too holds good. All the best in your quest to get a small AT hatch.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 17:18   #35
BHPian

Welcome to TBHP Doc! I was in a similar dilemma in 2019, I was looking for a automatic hatch for my better half. However I was prominently looking in the preloved way, searched all possible options around 4-5L. However I was already smitten by my older gen Corolla's reliability and went in for a Toyota Corolla Altis manual since I couldn't find a decent example in automatic in my budget. Absolutely zero issues with the car in a year of my ownership, unfortunately had to part due to pandemic/ unable to use. I would say explore the used car market, there are plethora of options available well in your budget of cars a couple of segments above. This way you can get a better/safer car, can use it as a beater to your X1 also not have to worry much in case the novice driver gets any minor scratches here and there. You may want to look at the below options in Team BHP classifieds and Olx, not in any particular order. Happy hunting!

Toyota Corolla Altis
Honda Civic
Honda Accord
Honda City
Honda Jazz
VW Polo GT TSI
Shanky_1002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 17:56   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom 510 View Post
Hyundai Gi10 Nios 1.2 petrol should suit your requirements really well if you're looking for a fuss free, well made and a well equipped car.
1. AMT is really smooth and better than the others, all thanks to It's electronic actuators.
2. Compact size, light steering and tight turning radius makes life easy in the traffic.
3. The 1.2L petrol is a really responsive engine and scores high on refinement. Returns pretty good efficiency if driven well.
4. Interiors are well made and exudes a feel good factor making one believe that their money is well spent.
5. Rear seat is really comfortable for the rear occupants with a relaxed recline angle and healthy under thigh support.
6. It is well insulated and cocoons it's occupants from the outside noise quite well for a car of its price.
7. Rear AC vents needs a mention here. It helps in cooling down the cabin a bit more effectively.
8. Hyundai after sales service is pretty good.
9. Service costs are really affordable.
10. Plush low speed ride quality.
@Phantom 510 - you have articulated my exact thoughts on this car. ​
@Doc between the 3 options, my vote goes strongly for this car, as a city runabout. The quality levels make the cabin a pleasant place to be in and the AMT smoothness is top notch with the electronic actuators. Short of being an out and out enthusiast, you will not find the gearbox disappointing. I personally did not, when I test drove this while looking for a car for the missus. The only fly in the ointment were the fixed head rests - but that can be fixed with some head cushions (from a comfort perpective)
kedar_GT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 18:26   #37
BHPian

I am currently in a similar dilemma since long time. Also I wanted CNG in car as petrol is super expensive. My wife does not know how to drive and will be learning. We too wanted to check the second hand market but we know for sure all cars in 2nd hand market will have odometer tampering done.

I know this because my brother recently sold his honda city to a dealer which had clocked 130,000 Kms. He bought it used few years back. The same car was listed on Olx few days after with 85,000 Kms odometer and price was 95K more than what we got.
The dealer (when he came to get the car) told he had a 2009 i10 with 45K Kms (which I now absolutely don't believe to be real reading) and my wife was thinking if we can go for it.
raksrules is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 18:28   #38

Hi Doc&Drive,

I was in the same boat as you are a couple of months ago and the cars you listed were in my list too except the Tata's (was dragged to test drive the Nexon by my husband and then also was MADE to check out the Altroz without AT currently but a family accident reminded me of how badly Tata handled it all so it was a namaskar from me to them).

I have booked the New Jazz 2021 VX CVT expected delivery is next week. Though definitely paid more than my initial budget of 10L for it but following was my observation for choosing it-
1. Space space and space- by far in that segment its the best
2. Cruise control- you name it and it wont have it in the hatchback segment
3. Paddle shifters
4. The huge dashboard- that gives you a clear front road view which no car in the segment could give
5. A good boot to go with
6. Push button start and keyless entry (I had to pay an extra 60k for this and couple more features than the base V version)

Go with an open mind while trying a Jazz, because I noticed that the SA don't really sell you that car. You have to figure that car on your own. They will push you more towards Amaze if that's your budget.

Though nothing changes being a woman driver hence not writing that line here "Being a woman i suggest you try.." But yes let your wife try it out for herself, my husband let me decide it and I think I have never been more thankful to him than now
HTLad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 18:57   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
@Phantom 510 - you have articulated my exact thoughts on this car. ​
@Doc between the 3 options, my vote goes strongly for this car, as a city runabout. The quality levels make the cabin a pleasant place to be in and the AMT smoothness is top notch with the electronic actuators. Short of being an out and out enthusiast, you will not find the gearbox disappointing. I personally did not, when I test drove this while looking for a car for the missus. The only fly in the ointment were the fixed head rests - but that can be fixed with some head cushions (from a comfort perpective)
I am glad you have liked my short description of the car. Hyundai Gi10 Nios is a very strong player in it's segment. I got to know about the car well while my father was looking for a runabout that is well priced, comfy and peppy. We almost finalised on one of it's competitor ( which happens to be the highest seller in it's segment) but due to long waiting list we had to cancel the choice. However, it was a blessing in disguise and today my father is glad to have gone for the Hyundai. After we took the test drive we were mighty impressed. All the notions about the 1.2L kappa being slow and boring was dispelled immediately. The highlights during the test drive for my father was is it's silky refinement, good insulation and pickup. He felt as if he was driving a car from segments above. I really enjoyed it's strong bottom end and midrange torque ( all thanks to its long stroke configuration) during the test drive. My father immediately decided to go for the Nios after the eye opening test drive. For your reference we have the 1.2L petrol manual version of the car and it has been almost 4 months and almost 4k Kms till date. I got to sample the AMT versions as well and must say that it was really a nice experience. The way the gear shifts when driving in a sane manner is remarkable. The head nod is at bare minimum. A lovely car indeed that is priced well and well kitted out for the price.
Phantom 510 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 19:12   #40
mxx
BHPian

I was on the same boat (few years back) and I finally purchased a used 3.5 year old Honda Jazz CVT for around 6.5 Lakhs.
If you dont want to increase your budget, I suggest you go for used cars.
Again I would suggest used Honda Jazz, because the warranty can be extended up to 8 years, has CVT which is reliable and comparatively more fuel efficient than torque convertor.
mxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 06:43   #41
BHPian

Don't bother with any of these, Just buy an Nexon EV/Tigor EV(new launch), you've already mentioned this is a second car and assuming you have the ability to run a power line to a fixed parking spot, your wife wouldn't have to bother with even fuel runs or look at maintenance, the tax benefits on interest component of emi is an added advantage. Both the cars are great on build and ride quality and above average on handling etc.
SRT_Dwarka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 15:02   #42
BHPian

Was in the same boat as you recently and couldn't digest spending 8 lakh OTR for an interruption-filled AMT experience, paired with mostly 3 pot motors. Picked a used 2017 (facelifted) Honda Brio AT which had run 23k kms, for 5.5 lakh (even used cars are too expensive these days man!) in Bombay with a year's insurance still left and the car was in a fantastic state. My sister's enjoying the smooth drive, the super-compact size and is smitten by the way it looks (biggest reason why I okayed the purchase although it seemed a bit expensive for a discontinued car). On the positive side though, I know this car is all that she will ever need within the city and for how it's built and engineered, if looked after well, will soldier on easily for another 10 years.
karan86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 15:53   #43
BHPian

Does it make sense to buy a Hyundai i10 Automatic from 2011-2012 year. I see lots of under 3L listings on olx near my area (Borivali, Mumbai) with around 45K-60K odometer (which I am doubtful is true).

This will be first car and new driver.
raksrules is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 18:32   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc&drive View Post
Let me start this topic by thanking you all in advance.
It was last month i decided to purchase a city car for my wife, who is a debutant.
My requirements were limited that it should be an automatic and a solid build car with good on safety. I fixed a budget of 6 lakh OTR here in Kerala.

extend my budget by 1 lakh and to go for Figo titanium, which has a proper automatic transmission.
If you wait any longer, you may end up with a 12 Lakh AT hatchback.., just kidding.

For a debutant driver, I feel the below points are priority.
1. Higher sitting position
2. Compact dimensions for easy parking\traffic driving
3. Good fuel economy, as new drivers are heavy on clutch\accelerator.
4. Cheap repairs as minor nicks\dents are a given in a city.
5. As much safety as budget permits.
6. Good AC, light steering.

I think AMT's have improved a lot and after some time, drivers find sweet spot to avoid jerks, not a deal breaker.

My take, You already have a car for Highway driving, why spend another 10 lakhs for 100 bhp car. Real world usage wouldn't need that power even 1% of time, after all its for city usage.

Car with good resale value is not a bad idea either, so even after you ruling out Maruti, I'll suggest IGNIS, what's the harm in a test drive, I saw some videos, the 1.2 NA-4 cylinder engine is not a slouch by any means, while giving 18+fuel efficiency in city.
ZeRo© is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 21:52   #45
BHPian

Would highly recommend a 2011-13 2.4 Accord automatic, for learner drivers I feel once a larger car is mastered, all others become very easy to drive (I learnt on the Accord as well), very forgiving to drive. Once perfected, the new driver will never hesitate to take the wheel, no matter the size of the vehicle.
Also the safety/power/ride quality is unmatched when compared with the subcompact cars above.

If you still want a small car, look at 2013-14 Brios/Amazes they came with a 5 speed torque converter, make sure you pick the top model as only those got front airbags and seatbelt pretensioners. Cheers.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks