Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2021, 12:36   #46
BHPian

Re: A needle in the haystack | An automatic city car

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Does it make sense to buy a Hyundai i10 Automatic from 2011-2012 year. I see lots of under 3L listings on olx near my area (Borivali, Mumbai) with around 45K-60K odometer (which I am doubtful is true).

This will be first car and new driver.
It makes sense and the odo readings may also be correct because this car returns very low fuel efficiency. (7 to 9kmpl).
So - if the running is less and the driver is a newbie, pick up the fully loaded one with ABS and airbags. (some even came with a sunroof). We have a 2012 1.2L Sportz variant and it works fine. Just upgrade the tyres to wider ones and you will be set for a few more years till you upgrade.
kedar_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 12:50   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
It makes sense and the odo readings may also be correct because this car returns very low fuel efficiency. (7 to 9kmpl).
So - if the running is less and the driver is a newbie, pick up the fully loaded one with ABS and airbags. (some even came with a sunroof). We have a 2012 1.2L Sportz variant and it works fine. Just upgrade the tyres to wider ones and you will be set for a few more years till you upgrade.
We discussed among ourselves and decided to go for a new one. Used is an unchartered territory and we have almost no knowledge to identify between good and bad apples. Also mostly we may be going for S-Presso (yes I know the 0 star thing) or Celerio (may be new one when it comes out) and even will check Wagon R.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 23:00   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
We discussed among ourselves and decided to go for a new one. Used is an unchartered territory and we have almost no knowledge to identify between good and bad apples. Also mostly we may be going for S-Presso (yes I know the 0 star thing) or Celerio (may be new one when it comes out) and even will check Wagon R.
Sure - to each, his own. I merely replied to your earlier specific question on the i10 and wasn't really clear on your need :-)

Trying to go for a vehicle with the 1.2L engine paired to the AMT [ you mentioned automatic, Maruti and S-Presso/WagonR ]. Will be more pleasant and fun-to-drive.
Old 4th September 2021, 14:51   #49
BHPian

Hello Doc&drive,

Welcome to Team BHP!

There are multiple great suggestions in this thread, so I will try keep this informative.

The first thing that I would like to point out is that the NCAP ratings have different standards: 3 star in Euro NCAP is not the same as 3 starts in Asian NCAP. I would go through the detailed report, if I were you, and make an informed decision. The first thing I'd look for is the stability of the passenger cabin. You'd be surprised, and perhaps shocked, to know that the Asian NCAP doesn't even talk about cabin stability. So, do your research.

You don't mention after sale support as an item in your evaluation criteria. I'd place a lot of importance on it if I were you. Choose the wrong dealer/brand, and you'd have endless trouble. Read the reviews of dealers in your area before making a final decision.

Normally, SUVs are easier to drive for beginners as they give a good view out, and you don't need to worry too much about speed humps, poorly layed roads etc.

With those out of the way, I would recommend either the Brezza/the baleno. Both have decent crash test characteristics, great engines and decent gear boxes. I would avoid new models like the magnite/kiger as all of the niggles may not have been sorted out.

If you don't like either of those, check out the Amaze. I really liked the back support in the front seats.

Happy motoring.
buzzy_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 21:24   #50
BHPian

Hi All

I am using this forum to get some suggestion from the experts or experienced users. I already saw some great suggestions coming through for AMT cars.
I am planning to buy an AMT car, primarily for city drive, occasionally highway use. It will be driven by me, my wife and maybe by driver sometimes.

My budget is between 13-15 Lakhs, on road price.

What I need:
1. Hassle free AMT experience (most important) - I want peace of mind driving experience with AMT or probably the cars which are known for there AMT
2. Mileage - usage of around 200-250 kms a week, so mileage matters.
3. Feature rich - I normally prefer high end variants to get all the features that comes with the car.
4. Safety matters - it will be used for ferrying my parents (both 60+) around the city, kids to school and other classes they go to.
5. A 5 seater is what I am looking for, at least for driving short distances.
6. No MPV's - they don't attract me.

Any suggestions/ideas will benefit me greatly

Thanks!
Arun
arun.kulkarni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 22:28   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun.kulkarni View Post
I already saw some great suggestions coming through for AMT cars.
I am planning to buy an AMT car, primarily for city drive, occasionally highway use. It will be driven by me, my wife and maybe by driver sometimes.

My budget is between 13-15 Lakhs, on road price.
Sir, your budget is in the sweet spot for the Sub-4 metre AMT SUVs. Since you are okay with an AMT, Nexon and XUV300 should be the go to choices for you. Both cars excel in different areas so take a test drive and decide.
Personally, I found that underthigh support was below average for rear passengers in XUV, whereas back seat width was comparatively less in Nexon. Nexon felt better on bad roads and has a bigger boot than the XUV.
quantobigboot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 08:35   #52
BHPian

Folks,

I am in the same boat, trying to find a small automatic hatchback for my wife.

We went narrowed it down to the Santro, i10 Nios, Ignis & Tiago.

Tiago was ruled out as my wife didn't like the interiors.

Santro & i10 Nios were strong contenders, and we almost booked one, but the SA couldn't give me a confirmed delivery date.

We almost confirmed on the Ignis, as it checked all our boxes and was within budget.

I test drove the Ignis yesterday, and both me and my wife hurt our backs!
I don't know if this was because of the test drive car's condition or if the Ignis isn't that comfortable.

Honestly, I felt quite comfy while driving. But moments after I got out of the vehicle, I realized that I pulled my back.

My wife, however, was getting 'tossed' around in the back seat and didn't like it from the start. In her words, her 10yr old i10 is MUCH more comfortable that this Ignis.

If it was indeed the quality/condition of the TD vehicle, doesn't that show that the car wont age well?

Guess we're back to square 1!
Old 2nd November 2021, 10:57   #53
BHPian

I am also in a similar dilemma. The car is for my 70 year old dad who currently has an i20 CVT and is now finding it a bit too big for his city runs. The tight parking spot at home is not helping either. The car will be purely used for city drives, and will see <3K kms per year.

I was looking at either a Santro Automatic or a i10 Nios Automatic. I have driven i10 and Tiago last year when we were thinking of the same. Liked i10 better and felt it was easier to drive.

Now I am thinking maybe Santro is probably better due to its smaller size compared to i10 Nios. Rumours of Santro getting discontinued doesn't bother me much, we will keep the car till he continues driving.

Somehow not very sure about anything from maruti stable - celerio and ignis are out due to their looks.

Is there any that I have missed out? Should I consider Kwid at all?
Old 2nd November 2021, 12:04   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleton View Post
I am also in a similar dilemma. The car is for my 70 year old dad who currently has an i20 CVT and is now finding it a bit too big for his city runs. The tight parking spot at home is not helping either. The car will be purely used for city drives, and will see <3K kms per year.

I was looking at either a Santro Automatic or a i10 Nios Automatic. I have driven i10 and Tiago last year when we were thinking of the same. Liked i10 better and felt it was easier to drive.

Now I am thinking maybe Santro is probably better due to its smaller size compared to i10 Nios. Rumours of Santro getting discontinued doesn't bother me much, we will keep the car till he continues driving.

Somehow not very sure about anything from maruti stable - celerio and ignis are out due to their looks.

Is there any that I have missed out? Should I consider Kwid at all?
Hyundai Grand i10 nios amt is better than Santro sportz/asta Amt. You will get premium features, comfort, space & upmarket cabin. It has lively engine with improved cars drivability. Suspension is slight bumpy at higher speeds & mileage may not be at par with competition. I do have this car within my family. I have also heard from a reliable source that Renault kwid will be discontinued next year.
Somz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 12:34   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post

We went narrowed it down to the Santro, i10 Nios, Ignis & Tiago.

Tiago was ruled out as my wife didn't like the interiors.
...Guess we're back to square 1!
Well, here's a twist. We went to test drive the Punch, ended up booking the Tiago!

While we were there, we test drove the Tiago, and my wife liked it. We had earlier ridden in a friend's Tigor, and my wife didn't like the interiors (she was in the back seat). This time however, she sat in the front and liked it! That sealed the deal.

I was very impressed with the brakes on the car. Did a few 60-0 tests and the car performed really well. No drama, just a very swift & controlled stop.

Reasons why we booked:
  • Ease of driving, the light steering and small size
  • Frugal engine
  • Styling
  • Value for money
  • Solid build and safety rating
  • That sound system
  • Tata's renewed push on customer experience

However, there are a few downsides:
  • Underpowered engine
  • Interiors aren't as luxurious as Hyundai's or Maruti's
  • long term reliability concerns

Looking forward to the delivery
DDiSLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 13:03   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
From your post, it appears that the car would also be used by you. Why I think so is because a novice driver(in this case your wife) won't surely be looking at 0-100 sprint timings
Sorry for the late reply, I really was in a hunt.

As you clearly mentioned, even though the car is for my wife , being a car lover i cannot resist using it.

As per the advise of fellow Bhpians i had a look at preowned cars as well. Especially, Jazz Cvt and Polo automatic. Definitely liked the Polo, but the asking rates are sky high for well maintained ones and i didnt like the way Jazz drives.
Hence preowned cars are almost out of the list.

So i thought of extending my budget even though iam not in a state for that and driven Kiger CVT , RXT model which costs 10.6 lakh OTR here.
I liked the way it drives and the CVT performance especially compared to Jazz. But Iam sceptical about the build quality and overall life of the vehicle as i have never used a renault previously.

Other options worth mentioning:

Tata Tiago AMT - Tata service and support here is a hit or miss.
I had a look at Tata PUNCH AMT also, but is as costly as KIGER and hence didnt consider.

Figo is out of the contest, since Ford is not in the picture now.

VW Polo - Not accepting booking now and will be available only after second quarter of 2022.

Now I am left out with

1- Kiger RXT CVT
2- I10 Nios Sportz AMT
3- Tata Tiago AMT

What should i pick ..?

Thanks in advance
Old 23rd November 2021, 23:31   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc&drive View Post

Now I am left out with

1- Kiger RXT CVT
2- I10 Nios Sportz AMT
3- Tata Tiago AMT

What should i pick ..?

Thanks in advance
I was in a similar situation couple of weeks back looking for a city car. Started with Tiago then i10 Nios and then almost booked Swift AMT. Then checked Jazz and found it boring, mainly the looks.

Liked Kiger CVT very much, but was not very confident on Renault. My other car being a 6 year old Octavia needed an easy to maintain one. My first choice was always Polo but is cramped at rear.

Finally slightly increased the budget and booked i20 IVT for more premium package
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 13:36   #58
BHPian

Quote:

Now I am left out with

1- Kiger RXT CVT
2- I10 Nios Sportz AMT
3- Tata Tiago AMT

What should i pick ..?

Thanks in advance
2- I10 Nios Sportz AMT
Old 29th November 2021, 00:19   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I am left out with

1- Kiger RXT CVT
2- I10 Nios Sportz AMT
3- Tata Tiago AMT

What should i pick ..?

Thanks in advance
Did a test drive of Kiger CVT today and it totally surprised me. The CVT felt more like a good TC, hardly any rubber band effect. The car picked good speeds and the ride was sorted too. Though the engine is not as good as Polo I felt it slightly better than Hyundai 1 litre, even with lessor output

I was in double mind to change my i20 IVT booking to Kiger after the drive.
Then spend some time inside the cabin in the display vehicle, and then realised the cabin is poorly built and very plasticky. The head unit look like a cheap tablet. Also strangely I felt the brake pedal to be very small. There is day and night difference in the interior quality of Kiger and i20. This coupled with doubt on Renault after sales made me to stick with i20. Also considering this is only a city car for me.

Of the 3 choices you mentioned Kiger hands down. I would recommend this to anyone with a budget of 12 lakhs.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 09:55   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Did a test drive of Kiger CVT today and it totally surprised me. The CVT felt more like a good TC, hardly any rubber band effect. The car picked good speeds and the ride was sorted too. Though the engine is not as good as Polo I felt it slightly better than Hyundai 1 litre, even with lessor output.
I was also surprised after test driving Kiger CVT. In fact i did not felt rubber band effect even though i am using an X1 which is having a torque converter unit and a VW Vento Tsi which has a DSG unit. So i was really impressed with the drive. Another added advantage is the high riding position. The only concern now is regarding its build quality and its long term reliability.
doc&drive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks