Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2007, 08:48   #1
BHPian

Hatchback dilemma (4.5 - 5L)

hey fellow-tbhpians,

i'm a newbie not only to this site, but to cars. i want to buy a new (first) car.
my profile: male, age 29, bachelor. i want to buy a good, reliable, cool hatchback.

being very money-minded, i wanted to get the best VFM out of my 4.5 - 5L.
i've done my bit on "what car" analysis and came up with a few options, as i list below.

bfore i pose my Q. i'd like to say that this site and its members are not only knowledgeable but also fundu in their auto obsessions. I've not got as many interesting view points and tips from no one and nowhere else.

This may seem a very long post, but i think others having the same kind of reqt. may benefit from my story and so i write.

Thanks team-bhp!

Cars short listed:
--------------------
Palio Stile 1.6, SWIFT pertol, SWIFT Diesel, WagonR Vxi (i know they're diverse, but they all fit my budget
Price range: Max - Rs. 5L (Slightly stretchable)

Maintenance & (A.S.S.) expectations:
- Dont mind spending time and money once in a while but there shouldnt be any nagging and persistent problems
- *** expct. (Avg - *** )

Avg distance traveled per month:
- If Diesel Vehicle (will take car to work everyday) -> 1000km p m
else 200Km p m

Usage: 70% city, 30% highway

self driven, not shared with anyone
Pass. safety in case of accidents
Backseats should be preferably conmfy and ride should iron out road bumps
Intend to keep car for about 5 years

Here I mention why I would/(nt) buy the car:

Stile 1.6:
Pros: Driving pleasure, Powerful, highly reco on the site, 5 seater, safety, Maverick image
Cons: Vry bad FE, ***

SWIFT Petrol:
Pros: Driving pleasure, Tried and tested, Road presence shows how popular it is.
Cons: Bad Backseat comfort, too common look

SWIFT Diesel:
Pros: Driving pleasure, FE, ***
Cons: Price, wait, too common look

WagonR: Tried and tested, Price (damn cheap )
Pros: FE, ***
Cons: Doesnt suit my bachelor image

Finally I think the only car that fits the bill is the SWIFT petrol for me. I may be making a decision by the end of month. I wanted comments from you, whether I'm doing the right thing?
I hope my hard earned 5L are spent wisely

Info needed from you, guys:

0. Do u think i should try any more cars b4 i buy?
- I already tried Stile 1.1, estilo, santro and getz. They're out of my list.

1. Hear that maruti spares are cheaper than others such as Hyundai? iS it true?

2. Can i bargain for accessories with dealers? what all should i be able to squeeze out?

3. Should i wait a little more until the fundu cars from FIAT are out? ANy ideas when they'll be out? I was expecting the Punto or the Palio D with the EJT. In that case, i'm willing to wait

4. I hear there's some diff in SWIFT Vxi and SWIFT Lxi's power steering. ONe is EPS, the other is not. Is it true? Is the VXi (w.o ABS) really worth 35K more?

5. Is it cheaper to buy it outside Bangalore and then get it in, so that i can save some more money?

6. Has anyone driven the stile 1.6 Sport? Need review on that. ANyways, I've asked for a test drive on monday with concorde motors. but since i'm not an expert, my views wouldnt count

Last edited by adya33 : 20th May 2007 at 02:43. Reason: Too many smileys
EatMyDust is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th May 2007, 02:04   #2
BHPian

Try this out

How about Spark ... its new and latest one i heard it will be better one ...

though its look should spark you but i suggest have a look on it

test drive it and see its seems to be VFM.
Old 20th May 2007, 02:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looking at your requirements you should go ahead with a Palio 1.6 stile. Will be easily in your budget and FE is not that bad when you see the power on tap.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th May 2007 at 21:52. Reason: smileys deleted from referred post.
Old 20th May 2007, 03:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMyDust View Post
Stile 1.6:
Pros: Driving pleasure, Powerful, highly reco on the site, 5 seater, safety, Maverick image
Cons: Vry bad FE, ***

3. Should i wait a little more until the fundu cars from FIAT are out? ANy ideas when they'll be out? I was expecting the Punto or the Palio D with the EJT. In that case, i'm willing to wait
Hi Pal,
Palio 1.6 is dream machine, you will enjoy every moment driving it!
Mileage: 10 - 11 kmpl in City, you can extract more with a sedate driving style !
15 - 18 kmpl on Highways!
Fiat-Tata Service is quite decent in major cities.
In B'lore, in addition we have GreenTracks @ Hosur Road who do a good job for Fiat cars.

According to Reports, Fiat India will be launching Palio Stile 1.3 Multijet end of this year, Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet & Linea sometime next year (2008). But, as in past Fiat India take their sweet time to launch cars, so not sure if it is worth to wait!
My take: Go for Palio Stile 1.6 and enjoy the awesome drive it promises!
Old 20th May 2007, 11:20   #5
BHPian

hey EatMyDust (nice nick btw ),
Have u also considered the U-VA?. The LS variant in Blr comes to 508420 OTR. I'm also upgrading my omni (well downgrading space wise lol ! ) and with a similar budget. I drove the palio 1.1 from Prerana but kinda underpowered. The 1.6 palio sport does intrigue me (very much!) but so far prerana guys dont have a model to test drive yet! do let us know what u think of the 1.6 when u test drive from the concorde guys.

I considered the getz prime - but didnt bother to test drive it even since i thought it didnt offer much features for the money (not much VFM) to my liking (no offense to other getz owners).
I may try out the Spark - last evening my cousin came with a loaded (with people and not features i.e ! ) matiz and i was surpised to see how they all fitted in - they all said they felt more comfortable in the matiz than the wagon r they normally get huddled in ).
I am saving the trip to Maruti dealers for the last as i know the A.S.S and brand value in India is not matched so far (at least thats the general perception) and so i'll be very tempted once i go to MUL.

well all the best. i'll post my findings here if i get to try the 1.6 palio sport too.
Cheers!
Old 20th May 2007, 12:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Why dont u try the esteem too.fits well within your budget
Old 20th May 2007, 12:44   #7
BANNED

I suggest you

Palio 1.6 ( awesome car)
or
Swift diesel

if you are bored of old model...
wait for Chevy Spark
(Note - palio & swift are real performers you will never regret if you buy)
Old 20th May 2007, 12:56   #8
BHPian

As I see, you have not considered any Hyundai cars- viz Santro and Getz, which also fit within your budget.

Last edited by squarecut : 20th May 2007 at 12:57.
Old 20th May 2007, 13:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
In B'lore, in addition we have GreenTracks @ Hosur Road who do a good job for Fiat cars.
Is this the same Green cars who was the authorised Service centre for maruti sometime back ? if they are, they suck bigtime.
Old 20th May 2007, 14:59   #10
BHPian

Go for Esteem blindly if you need VFM. I know it looks outdated but it's the most trouble free car. I am thinking of selling my Swift and switch back to Esteem. There are some minus points as in all cars like difficulty in getting out of the car, thin body..but nothing is perfect in this world and I bet she has so many plus points that you wont even mind ...
Old 20th May 2007, 18:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Your t-bhp login name has the palio 1.6 written all around. If you really want someone to 'eat-your-dust" there is nothing like the Palio 1.6. But if you are willing to spend a little more and also wait a little more have a look at the new adventure which would really mean that you can leave a trail of dirt without really feeling the shake at all. For you "bachelor image" too the new facelift adventure would have no competition in todays market. But if you are ok with the hatch the palio 1.6 would be cool.

The Swift diesel would be another option where you could spend a little extra initially but could obviously save some on fuel. But the seating position is a bit low and the "goodies" that you get would be on the lower side. I have never been able to substantiate the price for that hatch. And quite soon you will see maruti givng somehting like 15-25k discounts. but you might not get that right now and should not feel bad later on when you see the discounts pouring in. The Swift suspension too is a little hard compared to the FIAT.

Suggest you take a few test drives and buy what ever you feel comfortable with. After all everything else should obviously take a back seat. First is how good you feel when you sit inside the car. All the best and drive safe.
Old 20th May 2007, 21:10   #12
BHPian

hey thx! spark is good VFM - i agree, but i'm tall - 5'11 - dont think it 'll b comfy 4 me. anyways, its def. worth taking a test drive.

wll let u know if i do.
Old 20th May 2007, 21:11   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Get a Palio 1.6Stile.
Its an amazing car and fits all your requirements and the FE too would be around 0.5 - 1kmpl (max) less than the Swift VXi.
Infact, we may just get a Palio Stile 1.6 for oursleves too.
Old 20th May 2007, 21:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
Go for Esteem blindly if you need VFM. I know it looks outdated but it's the most trouble free car. I am thinking of selling my Swift and switch back to Esteem. There are some minus points as in all cars like difficulty in getting out of the car, thin body..but nothing is perfect in this world and I bet she has so many plus points that you wont even mind ...
hey! why are u selling ur swift? any specific reason? since u have already owned more than 1 maruti cars, i wanted to know-

Are swift spares more expensive than other maruti models (for eg. esteem) ?

how's the swift on the maintenance front? btw, how long have u owned ur swift?
Old 20th May 2007, 21:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

If you are planning to keep the car for 5 years, Palio is the right car for you. Its pretty reliable and tough...Fill it, Shut it, forget it (except for the periodic service )
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks