Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2021, 14:26   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Daily driver for my wife | Used VW Polo or Honda Jazz AT | EDIT: Booked new Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbox View Post
Wife wasn't impressed one bit with the Jazz and found it boring (she is sort of become a car person these days you see).
I think you have your answer in that one sentence. And hats off to your wife for that.

I was thinking the Jazz may be better, but that comment rules out my would-have-been suggestion.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 17:20   #17
anb
BHPian

re: Daily driver for my wife | Used VW Polo or Honda Jazz AT | EDIT: Booked new Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMIOrange View Post
I would recommend the jazz, IMO nothing is above peace of mind. There are several stories on the internet to convince me for my opinion, not that a VW is bound to fail, but if it does, then the aftermath is not that good.
PS: No offence to existing owners or the brand.
My friend sold his GT TSI and bought Jazz CVT for peace of mind. After driving the Jazz for one year, he lost peace of mind. So he sold the Jazz and bought a new Polo GT TSI again. PS: No offence to existing Jazz owners.

The maintenance of Jazz isn't cheap either with 6 months service / 5 k intervals compared to 1 year/15 K service interval of Polo. Polo with new lower service costs will be even cheaper to maintain. Quoting post from a Jazz owner from another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks_Jazz View Post
I would like to request your views on service intervals for my Aug 2017 Jazz V CVT. It has been driven approx 34k KM by Now and has been regularly serviced at Arya Honda Mumbai.

1. In the wake of COVID situation and that the car is around 3.5 Yrs old now, should I switch to getting it serviced every 5k Km rather than every 6 Months.

2. I get a maintenance bill of 8-12K per 6M service without any major part upgrade or issue to be resolved. I believe this is on the higher side and would want to try any well reputed FNG in Mumbai
anb is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 14:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I think you have your answer in that one sentence. And hats off to your wife for that.

I was thinking the Jazz may be better, but that comment rules out my would-have-been suggestion.
Yeah absolutely! I too was thinking she would choose the Jazz for its spacious cabin etc but she found it a bit underwhelming and liked the understated and refined look of the Polo. The performance of the Polo basically sold it when she knew she can zip around traffic and also take it confidently in the highway. Now the hunt continues to find that ideal polo GT.
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 15:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbox View Post
Yeah absolutely! I too was thinking she would choose the Jazz for its spacious cabin etc but she found it a bit underwhelming and liked the understated and refined look of the Polo. The performance of the Polo basically sold it when she knew she can zip around traffic and also take it confidently in the highway. Now the hunt continues to find that ideal polo GT.
Get the GT TSi - whether the new one or the old one is upto you. What I can definitely say is that your wife will love it .

My wife was a very occassional driver before and would dump the keys on me all the time. After we got the GT TSi, she drives way more. She finds my v40 a bit big to manouver but has absolutely no issues with the Polo.

She feels that it is the perfect car for working women and has made a couple of her office mates buy it too. She never liked the Brio we had before. The Jazz is larger and slower than the Brio. Your wife won't enjoy it.
reignofchaos is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 09:33   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Get the GT TSi - whether the new one or the old one is upto you. What I can definitely say is that your wife will love it .

My wife was a very occassional driver before and would dump the keys on me all the time. After we got the GT TSi, she drives way more. She finds my v40 a bit big to manouver but has absolutely no issues with the Polo.

She feels that it is the perfect car for working women and has made a couple of her office mates buy it too. She never liked the Brio we had before. The Jazz is larger and slower than the Brio. Your wife won't enjoy it.
Nice, thats quite reassuring! Thanks for the practical take here and glad to know your wife is enjoying the GT TSI. Nice to note that you have a similar combo of the V40 and the Polo. Gives me a solid case!
vjbox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 10:28   #21
BHPian

Practicality and reliability says Jazz

Fun to drive says Polo

Set your priorities and make a decision! If majority of driving is within the city, I would ask you to go for Jazz. Trust me within city all that matters is 0-30 kmph. I believe you're from Madras and you do understand Mount road traffic!

Polo has the DQ200 DSG box. Plus why go for a used car when you can get a good deal on the Jazz CVT. I believe the new variants are equipped with sunroof as well.

Also do try out the i20 as well! The handling is good and as a Hyundai, they are bound to be feature loaded
I wouldn't suggest the Baleno or the Altroz. Both for the reasons well known
Old 26th September 2021, 10:39   #22
BHPian

Below comment is based on your preference for used cars and boring/exciting is based on perception and not actual quality of the car...
Judging by her reluctance to drive a brand new car, I am guessing your wife is a new driver. wouldn't a boring Jazz be a better fit compared to an exciting polo?
Plus, as others have mentioned a used polo at 7.5 lakh price range can hardly be justified. Polo is seen as an enthusiast's car and consequently will sell for higher in the used car market with mods by the previous owner, which you may or may not like. Jazz on the other hand, on account of being boring is likely to be available in factory condition.
Old 26th September 2021, 10:54   #23
BHPian

Honda + CVT is always a good option and it is something that probably might be more cheap and reliable than a VAG Group DSG (this comes from someone who has owned 4+ VWs). After buying my first VW DSG it was evident that the car is going to have long term troubles, hence I have now opted for manuals when it comes to VAG for sheer peace of mind.

However the GT driving experience is absolutely intoxicating and I totally get why people can't get enough of this car even with its flaws (which we have learnt to accept over the years)

Since you already have your mind (or should I say heart?) set on the Polo GT for obvious reasons, here would be my advice:

1) Try negotiating a bit more, I have found both the quoted prices to be on the higher end. While the cars are more recent i.e. MY17 they yet should not command that high of a premium. Make sure to list out the major repairs that one can expect with the DSG when it nears the 5-6 year mark. Other BHPians have also suggested checking out the tires etc.

2) If possible then do try to get the cars to a trusted VW Service Centre to understand how well-off is the car mechanically. Even small parts like ABS sensors that are known to give way after the 5-year mark can burn a decent hole in your pocket.

3) Walk into any of the VW showrooms and see what promotions they have going on, you never know you might get a sweet deal on the most recent AT models that promise to be not troublesome like the DSG.

4) VW also has a certified pre-owned network in many of the major Indian cities. From my personal experience, I have found that these dealers have some gems in their inventory but most of the buying/selling is done via references more than anything else. Getting a certified pre-owned car from VW has its obvious advantages including an extended warranty which they offer in most of the cases.

I wish you all the very best with the hunt and as a fellow VW admirer, I hope to see a review on the forum of your GT soon!
Old 26th September 2021, 11:04   #24
BHPian

Its easy to say that we have kept aside 2 lacs for DQ 200, but when it fails, and when we understand that VW neither dealer supports for anything, it pinches us (My symptoms of DQ200 issues started well within the warranty period and dealers will turn a blind eye till car gets stuck in the middle of the road, which for me happened 3 months after the expiry of extended warranty period). We start thinking the lot many good things that can be done with this 2 lacs even though we don't mind spending extra 5 lacs in a new car purchase.

I was a fan of DSG, and when we planned to buy a new car recently, I did not even dare to test drive Octavia (though I used to love it and really wanted to buy till my DSG failure). I am sure that, I will never ever get confidence to buy a VW (or related) cars anytime soon.

So as far as my experience goes, as a beater car, DSG should be the last in your list, especially the dry type DQ 200. For occasional sprints in highways and very low usage in heavy traffics, DSG gear box can be considered.
petrol_power is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 11:19   #25
BHPian

Would suggest to seriously think of taking the new Comfortline Polo 1L TSI TC automatic home by adding 2-3L to the current budget. Investing 7L+ for a 4 year old GT TSI would not be a wise thing when I can get a new one with (4+1) years of warranty for just a couple of lakhs more.
The new TC auto is not a slouch in performance and reaches a ton in lesser time than the older GT TSI, however the in-gear acceleration is better in the DSG. But what you get in the new car is peace of mind for minimum 5 years along with zero dep insurance to help you with any minor scratches the new car gets. The Comfortline variant gets almost everything except the steering mounted controls at less than 10L on road price, would strongly recommend to check this out.
Old 26th September 2021, 12:50   #26
BHPian

Like many people have suggested, it doesn't make sense to buy a used Polo with a DSG. Instead buy the new Comfortline TSI AT which will be more reliable, give you good performance and will ultimately give you a good peace of mind.

Honda's are a thing of the past. Even their key knob is a turn-off and look so plasticky & third grade.
Old 26th September 2021, 15:26   #27
BHPian

Go ahead with what your wife likes. You have to live with her, not the car. It will be easier on the pocket to bear the expenses of a car than of a disgruntled wife. On a personal note, it’s better to buy ladies new car for complete peace of mind and a happier married life.

Last edited by bravo82in : 26th September 2021 at 15:27. Reason: Emoji error
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 15:41   #28
BHPian

If you can think out of this box, I'd suggest the facelifted Honda Brio 1.2 VX AT for your wife. It is decently powerful & equipped, drives on TC gearbox (unlike CVT of Jazz). Moreover compact city dimensions and cute looking car too. The proven Honda reliability could be topped up with Honda's anytime warranty upto 10 years. Being discontinued, 2018 cars are available for less than 5.5L in OLX with scope of bargaining.

I dont think its wise to invest more than 7L on DQ200 VWs. Else as everyone suggests, extend budget and get new Polo with slushbox.
5252rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 15:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Go ahead with what your wife likes. You have to live with her, not the car. It will be easier on the pocket to bear the expenses of a car than of a disgruntled wife. On a personal note, it’s better to buy ladies new car for complete peace of mind and a happier married life.
I had wanted to put it in a slightly different way. Buy what you like to drive, what puts smiles on your face everytime you drive. I put money where my mouth is.

A few months ago I was looking for a pre-owned AT to replace my Kwid AMT (which was a downgrade from my Punto - purely for the need of an automatic car with lighter steering owing to a medical condition and limited budget). I searched on and on for something within 6 lacs. A good Tiago was hard to come by and Polo ATs in Bangalore are selling at crazy prices. Jazz CVT was in my shortlist but all were quoting pretty high. Didn't even get to test drive one. Drove a few cars and only Rapid and Ameo appealed to the heart. Rapid was struck down for lack of transparency and picked a 2017 Ameo 1.5 DSG for 7 lacs. The car was a company lease maintained with minimal squeaks or rattles. The car was structurally strong and mechanically sound. Have drove 4k kms in past 6 months and the car has brought back the smiles from the times of Punto - which had gone missing with the Kwid. Still miss Punto due to the slight harsh ride of Ameo but the engine, gearbox and the ergonomics put the smiles on mine and my family. No more complaints of motion sickness.

Matters a lot!
theabstractmind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 20:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

In the used market, I would avoid a Volkswagen, especially one with the infamous dual-clutch automatic gearbox. Unless you're really looking for drivability, I would recommend you stick with the Jazz. I reckon the CVT should be far more city-friendly if you're willing to disregard the 1.2 I-VTEC's weak low-end. But, since you're considering highway use, the Polo does sound like the better alternative. Still, if you find the Jazz's highway performance adequate, do weigh in on the pros and cons and see which one you'd give priority to, highway drivability or relative peace of mind (Hondas aren't bulletproof either but the general consensus is that they are more reliable than most competition).

A side note: with the Jazz, you'll be missing out on ESC (Electronic Stability Control), a potentially life-saving driver assistance system. I understand you have not factored safety into your buying criteria, but I typically strongly recommend purchasing cars fitted with ESC (and I don't feel comfortable recommending a car without it when an option with it is available), though you might want to give priority to reliability here given the potential headaches a DSG can give you.

Alternatively, if you really want decent performance while avoiding a DSG, try looking for a newer example of the Polo with the one-litre turbo engine and the new hydraulic torque-converter gearbox. It will command a higher price, but I would recommend shortlisting it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks