Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2021, 21:36   #31
BHPian

re: Daily driver for my wife | Used VW Polo or Honda Jazz AT | EDIT: Booked new Polo

Everytime I look at a Polo I feel the urge to yawn. It has no road presence whatsoever. Looks like a small car too. That's just my personal opinion. The Jazz on the other hand still looks more modern. Coupled with the space you get inside and the peace of mind of owning a Japanese car I personally feel it's better to go for the Jazz.

As far as the engine performance goes yes there is less grunt on the lower end but once it picks up its thoroughly enjoyable and punchy. I never have any problems with my overtakes with the cvt so please don't judge the car by engine power. After all where on roads here can you zoom with the heavily populated potholes, damaged roads and speed humps, not to mention the teeth rattling rumble strips.. It's all about superior comfort and I feel the Jazz wins here.

I agree the Jazz does have the love or hate looks and even though it's 6 years old it still looks fresh especially with the new face-lift models.
Old 26th September 2021, 22:27   #32
BHPian

re: Daily driver for my wife | Used VW Polo or Honda Jazz AT | EDIT: Booked new Polo

I am assuming that you are looking for the petrol engine

If you are on a strict budget, take the Jazz CVT. Try driving in the 'S' mode and extract more from the 1.2 litre engine

The spacious rear seats and bigger boot actually helps.

Also Honda is offering conditional warranty upto 10 years.

If you still want the Polo, please buy a new TSI with TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Avoid DSG for routine urban commute in dense traffic. Not worth the risk.
DSG is a ticking time bomb for tough indian conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbox View Post
Not too keen on a new Polos as she isnt too confident to drive a spanking new car for now.
No worries, insurance has got you covered. Just take a nil dep policy with unlimited claims and maximum add ons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

A new Polo AT at 10L can be justified compared to 7.5L 2017 Polo DSG as follows:

Tangibles of about Rs 1L:
1. Factory warranty of 4 years worth Rs 50K
2. At 25K km, the tires are at least Rs 15K worth less than the new car.
3. Assume upcoming expenses like brake pads, battery, service, etc. another Rs 25K

Intangibles of about Rs 1.5L:
1. Resale/shelf-life benefit would be substantial
2. Total peace of mind about history of the car
3. New car feel good factor, choice of colour, etc

In addition to the above, Bank/Finance is available on more favourable terms for a new car
Voodooblaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 23:50   #33
SLK
Senior - BHPian

The way I see it, with all the hullabaloo about the DSG, you may feel better about having a DSG maintenance reserve of say 2L. With a 2017 car for 7.5L + 2L, you are already in the new car zone. Therefore, you may want to look for a 2015 GT TSI for a much better price and actually benefit from a used car value depreciation.

For someone who's tasted turbo + DSG, a 1.2L NA will feel like a compromise.

Can a Jazz be driven hard and be fun? - yes, and I've had enough fun in a Honda City in past to say yes!
I can drive the 1.2 TSI (which is actually more fun than the Honda City) very similar to how I would drive the 1.8 TSI (read practical max speed and overtaking power (not racing)), but is that experience comparable?

PS: I own 2 DSGs (yes, DQ200), combined millage 80k and combined life 8.5 years, so far so good.

Last edited by SLK : 27th September 2021 at 00:19.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 11:19   #34
BHPian

Choice of AT depends on your usage.

If strictly within city limits with high bumper to bumper usage, CVTs should do the job.

DSG gearbox is not suited for bumper to bumper heavy traffic. DQ 200 is dry clutch automatic, gearbox heats up and keeps hitting peak torque often within city cycles and hence might cause a problem.

As already discussed, 7.5L for four yr old Polo is too high. It'll be out of warranty too. If priced at 6L, it's worth it.

New Polo GT TSi, has torque converter gearbox, which is much more reliable than the DSG is fun to drive too both in city limits and highway. And you get the 4yr factory warranty and easy EMIs to go with.

I use a 2017. Vento TDi Highline AT. Done 93000kms. My usage involved only 15% tight bumper to bumper traffic. Faced no glitches with the car. Very happy with VW ride and handling. Absolute pleasure to drive and own.
svmvale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 14:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Ok now another option has sprung up from our forums classifieds but its a 2013 model (44k) with an asking price of 5.4L (which again I find higher). But since its from one of our members, I am checking it out and I am told its well maintained for its age. Thoughts whether this option might make sense assuming it can be had for a good price?

I'd suggest that you opt for the recent Polos with lesser kms, especially if you are looking at the DSG models. I have only three reasons:

- Mostly, the clutches and other components would have been less worn compared to the 2013 model.

- The newer Polo has a few more features (touchscreen, nicer looking steering, better lower front grill, etc.)

- The 2013 model will definitely have failing ABS sensors after sometime. Assuming that the owner has replaced all four in the past, you may still find them failing after a few hundred kms and they don't come cheap. Who knows what other sensors might be on their last legs, but the DSG is something to be most worried about.

Just my opinion.

You may be able to get it for 7.25L if not lower.
Old 27th September 2021, 22:54   #36
BHPian

I would recommend the Honda Jazz , its more comfortable and has less maintenance compared to the WV.
The price mentioned by you of the Honda Jazz is very high, you can get a 2017/18 Jazz at this price.
Old 28th September 2021, 00:26   #37
BHPian

I would recommend a new VW Polo AT gear box.
  • Your wife already prefers Polo over Jazz
  • Polo is a lot safer than Jazz and drives better as well.
  • New car has more peace of mind than a used one. Do get the extended warranty as well. 2-3L extra would fit in your EMI/Finance.
  • Jazz is a more practical car and hence a "from head" decision. But Polo is just Polo. If you think from your heart, its always Polo.
rAijin_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 11:11   #38
BHPian

Dear members, thanks for the overwhelming response and advise - very helpful!

Switching gears, we now have sort of made up our mind to look at the new Polo AT with the TC instead, given the absurd pricing on the used GT TSI models. With a gap of just 2.5L to 3L like many members pointed out, we are convinced that its not going to make much sense to go for the earlier model. The reviews of the new 3cyl motor with the TC gearbox looks promising and we are taking it for a spin early this week and book one (mostly the highline since it has better features than the GT). The only worrying part is the longer waiting periods I am told about, something I need to understand from the SA while booking. I am pushing for under 1-1.5 months, that is still long for our needs now but again it is what it is when you are shopping for a very specific car. Thanks again- will keep our journey posted!
vjbox is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 17:00   #39
BHPian

Update from the new Car Episode -

Visited both Sundaram VW and VW KUN today. Took the new TSI with the TC AT for a spin and boy it impressed us! The power delivery was really good and it drove like no other car in that segment. The suspension seems to have been tuned and felt much softer than the earlier model (not sure if its me but I was able to notice a better ride quality) The engine gets a bit worked up in the higher revs but the new TC gearbox is no slouch and seems to mask the gears very well with smooth shifts. There are noticeable vibrations seeping into the cabin but nothing that upset the ride quality. There is that slight hesitancy when you put the foot down before it takes off but after it does and when you stay in the rev band, it pulls and in no time you hit the triple digit speeds. Its sort of unreal for a car of this size to be able to do that this effortlessly that too for a 3 cylinder motor.

Our choice of colour is Flash Red followed by either White or Sunset Red (sort of Maroon I guess) and we considered the highline plus variant given it has the centre arm rest (that can be fitted in the GT too) and the rear AC vents (blowers only but seems handy even for a small car) but that GT badge seems tempting too (not that my wife cares I guess). While the arm rest can be fit, will she miss out on the rear AC vets when taking passengers at the rear?

Now the sour part is there is a long waiting period for both Highline plus and GT. Both the dealers tell us an approx waiting period of 2 months. Although VW KUN tells me that the Matte Grey edition is available for booking and they can give us a car before the end of Oct. But honestly we are not a big fan of that shade and it does not elude that appeal of the iconic red Polo. For the regular GT TSI it seems they are getting a new discount scheme next week and can try and see if they can source a car in a month or so. No promises there though.

The prices I have so far from both the dealers are pretty close. Sundaram VW is offering the GT TSI at an onroad price of 11.45L including 6th year warranty and I think I can push them for another 15-20k off. Highline Plus's price is pretty much the same too as there are no discounts on that model. VW KUN's price after a round of negotiation is pretty much in the same bracket and they are offering to sell at 11.10L including 6th year warranty without the insurance that they are ok for us to get it on our own. Depending on the discount situation and delivery timeframe, we will confirm the booking with one of the dealers this week.

Appreciate some thoughts here.
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 17:55   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Update from the new Car Episode -

The suspension seems to have been tuned and felt much softer than the earlier model (not sure if its me but I was able to notice a better ride quality)
Yes the suspension has indeed been tuned better and the ride quality has improved post introduction of the new 1.0 TSI engine

Quote:
Its sort of unreal for a car of this size to be able to do that this effortlessly that too for a 3 cylinder motor.
Wait till you try Sports mode

Quote:
Our choice of colour is Flash Red followed by either White or Sunset Red (sort of Maroon I guess)
I think Sunset red has been discontinued - do check the make month before committing to it. A new colour is likely to be introduced which is the same shade of red as the Taigun.

Quote:
Depending on the discount situation and delivery timeframe, we will confirm the booking with one of the dealers this week.

Appreciate some thoughts here.
Pit one dealer against the other, you'll get good deals - along with the extended warranty they may give you a good deal/discount on service packs as well.
Shreyas_H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 00:44   #41
BHPian

Although the decision has been made and I am late to the party but would still like to throw some thoughts out there (and why not since we are a community and we look out for each other).

Whole heartedly recommend the Jazz CVT.

Reasons:
  • It has paddle shifters to get you out of that "boring drive".
  • More practical with lots of space, multiple seat and bench arrangements possible.
  • Ultra reliable.
  • Better ergonomics, seating position. Hence a better cruiser for highways.

I would strongly recommend any new drivers to not jump into the "enthusiastic" side of driving just yet. For other reasons as well, enthusiastic driving will burn more fuel, potentially cause more wear and tear (tyres, engine etc.) and cause more fatigue. A close buddy o'mine trying to be enthusiastic with his polo ended up with a broken front wheel axle when he drove over a pothole at ~70kmph.

Happy and safe driving.
Fiatanic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 07:30   #42
Team-BHP Support

Get the Polo with the new TC automatic. It should be better than the Jazz and will take away the DSG risk. It will also feel more solid, the service interval is much more practical.

I suspect there should be some used examples hitting the market. It’s very well priced so you may want to consider a new one as well (Comfortline perhaps if needed to fit the budget) with max warranty.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 09:31   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

I suspect there should be some used examples hitting the market. It’s very well priced so you may want to consider a new one as well (Comfortline perhaps if needed to fit the budget) with max warranty.
I have seen few 2020 Polo TSIs on OLX in Bangalore. But considering one may have to almost pay a new car price, it will be better to go for the new car itself.

Last edited by Guna : 30th September 2021 at 09:54.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 11:24   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Get the Polo with the new TC automatic. It should be better than the Jazz and will take away the DSG risk. It will also feel more solid, the service interval is much more practical.

Yeah pulling the trigger in that direction now and have convinced ourselves that we can deal with a brand new car instead and have her get used to it. We really liked how the new engine/GB combo worked coupled with a nice suspension, it sort of sealed the deal. Now in the middle of negotiating the GT TSI with 6th year extended warranty with the two dealers to see who gives the best deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I have seen few 2020 Polo TSIs on OLX in Bangalore. But considering one may have to almost pay a new car price, it will be better to go for the new car itself.
Yeah given the absurd asking prices, it just didn't make economical sense to go for the older models let alone the 2020 ones. We were originally too fixated and were confident that we will get a used one in under 6L but the hunting episode made us realised that the used market prices aren't that friendly in the current times.

Last edited by vjbox : 30th September 2021 at 11:25.
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 15:40   #45
BHPian

Update -

Ok so booked the GT TSI Flash red with Sundaram VW for now. 11.3L OTR including the 6th year warranty and wasn't able to push further. I am awaiting a better deal hopefully from KUN (showed them the quote from Sundaram VW) and I plan to book with them as well as a backup option to see who can get an allotment prior.

I am told the waiting periods are roughly 2 months by both the dealers and highline plus variant according to KUN is hard to get hold of and only GTs are being allotted more for the urban centres. I am told the slowdown is majorly due to slow production and priority for the new Taigun they are aggressively pushing. I am trying to pull some strings to expedite an allotment. More than me, my wife is very anxious and restless to get her hands on the car. Definitely a good sign I guess!
vjbox is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks