Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2009, 11:43   #61
BHPian

@prashantl05 - I currently own an i10 1.2 Kappa Sportz variant. Have also driven my friends swift a couple of times. The accessories I had to install were the remote central locking, sun film and fog lamps. Below are my inputs on owning the car.

Drive - i10 is much easier to drive because of the ergonomics and there are no blind spots like in swift. It definitely needs a tyre upgrade for highway driving though. Swift might be better in Highways.

Build quality - Anyday much better than the swift. The build quality, plastics and ICE are a class above.

FE - Am getting just about 12kms/lt in city traffic (due for second service shortly and i do not expect a significant improvement in FE). Highway FE hovers around 16. Yes iRDE engine gives better FE than the Kappa engine. Kappa engine is suitable for Highway driving because of it's power and refinement. Am not sure of the FE that swift delivers.

Interior - Swift is slightly bigger compared to i10 in interior space, but because of the dark and claustrophobic interiors it feels less. The complaint is about the rear seats and leg space. The rear seats and leg space in i10 is good enough.

You can decide based on your needs and convenience.
Old 5th January 2009, 12:55   #62
Senior - BHPian

I think you should go for the i10 in case you are a sedate driver. Its more VFM and the quality of plastics are ages ahead of whats been used in the swift. If you want a performance oriented practical car and dont mind rattles and the cramped back seat go for the Swift. Else its the i10 you would enjoy in the long run.
Old 5th January 2009, 13:02   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
If you want a performance oriented practical car and dont mind rattles and the cramped back seat go for the Swift.
Actually the rear legroom and knee room in the Swift is better than the i10. There is a general misconception about the Swift rear-seat being cramped. When compared to cars like i10/Santro/WagonR, the Swift rear seat is actually better. Only when compared with Indica/Palio/Getz, its worse.
Old 5th January 2009, 13:40   #64
BHPian

I would stick to a Swift any-day, as many have mentioned swift looks like a bigger car, it has space, and more sturdier with proven record.
O/T: I personally drive an Alto and I know its a VFM car in that segment. If I presume myself selling my car then i would really want to go for a bigger one which is a swift & not a i10.

Other Cars which can be considered are
1) Palio (Mileage is less, but a fabulous car to drive in city and highways)
2) Vista (Has a FIAT engine, and has loads of space, and does a decent job in mileage)
3) Chevy - UVA ( Has good space, comes with a good engine. However given GM's situation think twice)
Old 5th January 2009, 23:44   #65

Hey thanks all for such over whleming response.

However there is still one concern about swift which remains unanswered - what of the vision constrain in swift. My original concern is attached below

"I test drove the swift – petrol and diesel both, found performance of diesel better but as running is not much would probably settle for petrol. However did not find it the most easiest of cars to maneuver – the high waist line, wide A pillars and small rear windscreen does impact judgment. Was disapointed with the small rear wind screen. I am not very used to reversing with help of side mirrors, but it seems in Swift u have to live with it – no option. How far is it true and will I be able to change my driving style accordingly? Also I find most swifts in Delhi have their bumpers and wheel arches scratched which further convinces me of the “flaw” in design. Given the chaotic traffic of Delhi, one would want to drive a car which instills confidence behind the wheel and in which there is no hesitation"

Can some of the swift owners help me out on that?

There is no major budget constraints for me and moolah is the last thing i am considering in between swift and i10.
Old 6th January 2009, 10:00   #66
BHPian

Hey there, I own a Swift P Vxi for the last 2.5 years, upgraded from a M800. I would say its just the first two wks that you would find it difficult to manuvoure in traffic/park, etc., but once you get used to you then no looking back! I can drive/change lanes/park using the 3 RVM (L, R and center) and dont feel a necessity to turn back. I actually find it difficult to drive the 800 nowadays without the left rear view mirror - this thread reminds me to add one!

I dont have this fitment, but you can add parking sensors (even to the front) to help park in tight spaces!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashantl05 View Post

However there is still one concern about swift which remains unanswered - what of the vision constrain in swift. My original concern is attached below

"I test drove the swift – petrol and diesel both, found performance of diesel better but as running is not much would probably settle for petrol. However did not find it the most easiest of cars to maneuver – the high waist line, wide A pillars and small rear windscreen does impact judgment. Was disapointed with the small rear wind screen. I am not very used to reversing with help of side mirrors, but it seems in Swift u have to live with it – no option. How far is it true and will I be able to change my driving style accordingly? Also I find most swifts in Delhi have their bumpers and wheel arches scratched which further convinces me of the “flaw” in design. Given the chaotic traffic of Delhi, one would want to drive a car which instills confidence behind the wheel and in which there is no hesitation"

There is no major budget constraints for me and moolah is the last thing i am considering in between swift and i10.

Last edited by AirWind : 6th January 2009 at 10:01.
Old 6th January 2009, 10:26   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashantl05 View Post

I feel design is some what different but better to have bumper guards(black rubber) to avoid scratches. Regarding wheel arches if you open both the mirrors i think this can be taken care
Apart from reverse sensor you can have front sensors also but i feel for a car like wsift you donlt need any. Infact better to open the driver window and peep out when parking.

Last edited by aka_iitd : 6th January 2009 at 10:29.
Old 6th January 2009, 10:37   #68
Senior - BHPian

I just got my swift 2 weeks back and yes inititally it was a pain to drive and even bigger pain to park.But now i have got so used to it that its like driving a maruti 800 around.
Dont cut swift out from the option list because of the arches, is not even a concern after you get used to it.
Old 6th January 2009, 11:26   #69
BHPian

Anyday, anytime... it's gonna be Swift!! I own Swift VDi for last one and a half year and have driven it more than 24000 kms... no problems till date... yeah some rattles are there sometimes after some bumpy highway drive but they are quickly fixed free when you goto MASS, and they occur because of some clips falling off. Rest assured, the performance you get from Swift is unmatched, i10 is after all a class lower than Swift. If you are a passionate driver... it's Swift, none other can match that!!
Also, the vision problem just takes a few days getting used to, after that you can cut it through and park anywhere you like!! The rear seats are much wider and spacious when compared to i10... the talk of cramped rear only comed when compared to it's class cars... indica/getz. And not to talk of the front seats... they are really comfortable and I think much much spacious than i10.
Old 6th January 2009, 18:20   #70
BHPian

Well, you can't - the sill is quite high, door pads are thick and you sit deep inside the car - so sorry no peeping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
better to open the driver window and peep out when parking.
Old 7th January 2009, 15:55   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I just got my swift 2 weeks back and yes inititally it was a pain to drive and even bigger pain to park.But now i have got so used to it that its like driving a maruti 800 around.
Dont cut swift out from the option list because of the arches, is not even a concern after you get used to it.
Thats is quite true. But i10 will be better in city compared to swift. I10 feels like its made specifically for city use. If you get goood deals on i10 go for it.

Swift have great power. You will very happy to be in a swift while you drive in Highways. Swift can overtake almost any car in Indian highway
Old 6th February 2009, 20:43   #72
BHPian

[quote=prashantl05;1116336]Hi
I am new to this forum and this is my first post here. I can see from the various threads here that there are a lot of knowledgeable people around and I am sure someone will be able to help me.

I am looking to buy a new car and have till now considered Swift LXI and I10 Kappa 1.2 Magna (I know that both have been discussed in detail here especially swift). My problem is summarized below:-

1. The car will be driven in city only and will do abt 10,000 kms per year (maybe less). I don’t rev the car like a race driver, but yes a powerful car is always good.

- Out of the 10K.. I'm sure you will do atleast 1K on the highway; if you pick up a i10 you will realize

2. I test drove the swift – petrol and diesel both, found performance of diesel better but as running is not much would probably settle for petrol. However did not find it the most easiest of cars to maneuver – the high waist line, wide A pillars and small rear windscreen does impact judgment. Was disapointed with the small reaer wind screen. I am not very used to reversing with help of side mirrors, but it seems in Swift u have to live with it – no option. How far is it true and will I be able to change my driving style accordingly? Also I find most swifts in Delhi have their bumpers and wheel arches scratched which further convinces me of the “flaw” in design. Given the chaotic traffic of Delhi, one would want to drive a car which instills confidence behind the wheel and in which there is no hesitation (eg Alto in it’s own class). I am yet to drive i10 but road view does seem better in it and it just seems an easier car to drive.

- With those humongous side view mirrors..its not all that difficult. No matter which car you drive (unless it is a F1 or a Go Kart; you will have your share of doubts- don't you think so!

3. Till now I have only driven cars from maruti – 800 and Alto and am very satisfied with their after sale service. How different is it going to be moving to Hyundai? I mean is it really a deciding factor between cars given the fact Hyundai has been here for so long? It looks like maintainence wise both the cars are similar. Further what is the resale value of i10 like in comparison to Swift?

- Only time and maintenance can tell- i10 is a great car for its class; but if you have an option Swift is a proven car; I drive a DDIS; Zen being my previous car it is an awesome upgrade.

4. FE is an important criteria – my alto gives abt 17-18 in b2b traffic of Delhi (without AC). I know both the cars will be lower but which one would be better. Also I have read one post that i10 IRDE actually gives more mileage than kappa– find it lil hard to believe will all that pomp and show by Hyundai. Should I also consider it or just go with Kappa.

With the kind of KM you expect to clock a KM or two should not make too much of a difference to you. FE solely depends on how and where you drive. I get anywhere between 15-20 depending on City/Highway/Traffic.

5. I am getting Swift LXI for 4.21L with no discount, add the power windows, central locking and moulding and the price goes up to 4.4L. Magna is 4.16L (should be able to get discount of 5K) and I only have to fit an ICE system. On paper does it not look that Magna has more VFM?

- So you gonna be getting a Swift for approx 4.1 and i10 for the same price. Additional accesories may be tempting but you will surely compromise if not anything on the roominess of the Swift when compared to the i10.

6. Is there any other car I should be looking for in this segment?

Points 2 (and to some extent 5) is tilting my decision in favor of i10, although my heart is still with Swift. Pls advice. Thanks in advance.

- Don't do this to yourself; listen to your heart! isn't that what all the wise men say!
Old 7th February 2009, 21:23   #73
BHPian

I will prefer i10 over Swift Petrol in any condition whatsoever.
Old 8th February 2009, 17:55   #74
BHPian

why did you not consider vista??
Old 10th February 2009, 15:11   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
I will prefer i10 over Swift Petrol in any condition whatsoever.
You seem to be one satisfied i10 owner

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks