Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2008, 18:22   #31
BANNED

Badge and other things

One needs a badge to drive a yellow plate vehicle a.k.a "transport vehicle" in legalese. An LMV can be registered as a yellow plate vehicle (eg Indica taxi), so simply because a bolero is an LMV does not mean that driver does not require a badge. If you want to drive a transport vehicle of any kind, like a rick or an Indica taxi, you (and me) do require a badge.

Transport vehicles can be "public service transport vehicles" and "private service transport vehicles".

Whether it is a Private service TV or public service TV depends on the owner's choice - and you need to get an appropriate road permit.

The difference between transport and non-transport vehicles depends on the seating capacity.

Excise duty is less on vehicles with higher seating capacity; but road tax works to be more in the long run on such vehicles.

So, my question really is a statement / warning.

If you go in for a Bolero with higher seating capacity, you will save on initial capital costs, but end up paying road tax under a different category, and probably, end up paying more road tax over a period of time.

So, when does a Bolero or any other MUV in that class - that includes Endavour (ford), (what-isthatthing-from chevy available here?), Innova, Grande and scorpio and whatever else become a transport vehicle? The answer depends on the seating capacity. I do not at what seating capacity such vehicles becomes a transport vehicle, and at what capacity they become non-transport vehicles.

You should get to know this as a part of your "research". Just ask the nearest RTO agent - I do not have access to one right now.
Old 6th March 2008, 23:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thanx for the info backseat.He has decided to go for a swift ldi.he would sell his indica for that reason tommorow.Palio would be sold in a few months to get the bolero top end.
As many pointed out he would enjoy the benifits of both world here.
ram
Old 7th March 2008, 19:52   #33
BANNED

I saw two sumos today - one had "private service ominibus" written on the front bonnet, and was having a white background number plate. The other had "ominibus for private use" written on the top - above the windshielf, and had a yellow number plate.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 7th March 2008 at 19:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks