Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2008, 17:29   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Thanks for your inputs guys. I have ended up more confused.

I must admit that one evening I even contemplated not going the used route. You guys may kick me for (thinking "practically" and) even considering a brand new Alto or a Xeta (LPG?) for that cash outflow.

But I guess it is the eternal heart v/s mind debate in any decision. And I'd rather go thru' the debate right now, think about it and strike out options rather than regret later!
On this site there are many fans for even alto and xeta. They will make sure that you will not get kicked. Its your choice and this site merely debates but never takes side with any car against the other. It's a democracy here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post

Speaking of Bangalore traffic, it sure is pretty unforgiving. New car or old, there are always people (with inferior controlling skills) always dashing/brushing into you. You may follow all the rules by the book and drive very sanely, but still that can't ensure your safety. Most of the dents/scratches on my bike and scooter are because of people unable to brake in time behind me. Infact some rogues have even got physical just because they thought I braked to hard to avoid someone in front.

So with a new/virgin car each scratch/dent causes a lot more pain and fixing costs a bomb. I remember the amount I spent fixing parts on my bike every time a new scratch came up (actually there's one more big expense at the next service). So while we (even wife will have to re-learn) are in the learning phase I'd settle for (lovingly) used car, rather than buy a very entry level car.

Have used both brand new and entry level vehicles in the past, but never had serious issues/expenses with used vehicles in the past. As long as it is a nicely mantained vehicle, it will run the same as your vehicle of the same age! Plus it does come with a few battle-scars (term copyright Zenx), so adding a few more would hurt less than a virgin vehicle.
Scars on an used car or a new car should not matter because your outlay on the car is same irrespective of the vintage. You are comparing used palio to a new alto/xeta which are all available at a similiar price to you. So why would scars on an old palio be less torturing than on a new xeta? I would prefer a new car if I can get it in the same budget. The only reason you should buy an old expensive car at a cheaper price is for some fancy or snob value. Dont you think so? Go by your head. God has designed it to think. The heart is just a motor(FIP in auto parlance) that pumps blood.
Old 22nd July 2008, 17:43   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
On this site there are many fans for even alto and xeta. They will make sure that you will not get kicked. Its your choice and this site merely debates but never takes side with any car against the other. It's a democracy here.
True!

My Dad, for one keeps suggesting the Alto and I personally love the looks of the Indica (a neat, well laid out design right from the start). But what I meant was that I would be downgrading on the performance aspect, while upgrading my budget . No offences to those cars in Particular!

Quote:
Scars on an used car or a new car should not matter because your outlay on the car is same irrespective of the vintage. You are comparing used palio to a new alto/xeta which are all available at a similiar price to you. So why would scars on an old palio be less torturing than on a new xeta?
Well I have a simple formula that kinda translates the pain felt when a scratch develops on a car.

Pain α 1 / (number of scratches of same intensity already existing on a vehicle)

So you see if it is the first scratch, the pain is infinite. If it is the 100th, it is miniscule in comparison. Well.. an old car is unlikely to be "scratchless" in Bangalore traffic atleast!

Quote:
I would prefer a new car if I can get it in the same budget. The only reason you should buy an old expensive car at a cheaper price is for some fancy or snob value. Dont you think so?
Nopes! Sometimes going used makes sense because you can automatically afford several classes higher at the same budget. Also for cars with a (relatively) poor resale value like the Fusion or the Palio, it makes the deal even sweeter. The first owner has already suffered the major depreciation, will be only incremental when you decide to sell.

Think like this. You can get a brand new basic (LX) Alto with no features at the price of a slightly used "fully loaded" Palio.

But yes, one needs to consider all alternatives.

Quote:
Go by your head. God has designed it to think. The heart is just a motor(FIP in auto parlance) that pumps blood.
Nice analogy so what would the head be? The ECU?

I'd rather consider all alternatives with my head but decide with my heart :P
Old 26th July 2008, 11:01   #33
BHPian

Do let us know what you settled for and also provide your review on your car. Good luck. Hope this debate is helping you in making an informed decision.
Old 27th July 2008, 00:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hi Glifford!

Read your posts on the PUG as well as here. I think you are worried a bit too much on scratching your car and that is seriously stopping you from buying a new car.

I started driving with a new car after many, many years. Agreed, I had my share of scratches and even a big denting-painting job. But, believe me, a used car can give you more pain in other ways. I would rather drive with a somewhat scratched new car than a used car I am not sure of. (no offence meant to the owner who has lovingly maintained his S10!)

If budget is not a constraint and if you like a particular new car (800, Alto, Xeta, i10, Getz, Palio, Swift, Fabia, Chevy SRV, Fiat 500 whatever!) go for it. Trust me, your natural driving instincts will take over within a few days and from that point onwards, you will enjoy your (NEW) car much more!!
Old 5th November 2008, 22:06   #35
BHPian

I think I can use this thread to post my query.
I am getting an offer for Fusion 1.6 Dowatee(Not sure what is this). Its sep 2006 model and has done 31000 Kms. The asking price is 2,60,000. How is this deal??
Old 5th November 2008, 23:27   #36
BHPian

u work for C*C? Go for it its very good deal !
Old 6th November 2008, 12:45   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.singh.73 View Post
u work for C*C? Go for it its very good deal !
Yup and I think we both are in same location, same building and same floor and we once had attended a party in Hyd ;-)

Last edited by anonymous : 6th November 2008 at 12:51.
Old 6th November 2008, 15:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I am getting an offer for Fusion 1.6 Dowatee(Not sure what is this). Its sep 2006 model and has done 31000 Kms. The asking price is 2,60,000. How is this deal??
That's a really good deal but what is 'Dowatee', I never came across anything like that, it's either a regular fusion or a fusion +
Old 6th November 2008, 15:34   #39
BHPian

Dowatee?

Quote:
Never heard of Dowatee myself! That seems a really good deal. Have you seen the car? What colour?

But if it is too good to be true (as it does). It probably could be! Just check for any accident or any other history of the car. But then again I am comparing to Bangalore prices.

Here it would cost atleast a lakh more (if not more) for that car. More than that actually!

BTW, I am still deciding and haven't found a right deal yet. But things are moving anyway. Hope to have some updates after the weekend. Will update here definitely!

Cheers,

Glifford.
Old 6th November 2008, 16:22   #40
BHPian

What would be the ideal price Sep 2006 Ford Fusion 1.6 Patrol

Hi All,

I am getting Sep 2006 Ford Fusion 1.6 petrol in 2.5L. Odo reading is 30K. Would like to know your opinions on the cost, is it right or should I negotiate for less.

Thanks in advance
Old 6th November 2008, 16:32   #41
BHPian

Dowatee is duratec. It was typo. lol
Anyways I have checked the car today. It has not been used for last six months, so dust all over it but no accident mark or anything like this. The insurance history is clear. But when I tried to start it, it would not start up. Battery is live as all lights on console come on and engine cranks but not able to start. May be because its not been used for 6 months. What say guys??
Old 6th November 2008, 16:51   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Dowatee is duratec. It was typo. lol
Anyways I have checked the car today. It has not been used for last six months, so dust all over it but no accident mark or anything like this. The insurance history is clear. But when I tried to start it, it would not start up. Battery is live as all lights on console come on and engine cranks but not able to start. May be because its not been used for 6 months. What say guys??
Ford has a so called "Bumper to Bumper" inspection they offer to check up cars due for resale (by the new buyer). It costs 500/-

Try it out. It is offered in Bangalore, check if there too. You can guage the expected life of the soon to be replaced consumables (clutch, brake pads, discs, door beadings, electrical wiring etc). Check if they can send a guy home for getting the car out first. As they would often ramp up the car at the service station for a complete checkup.

BTW, how much did you crank?

Also all Petrol Fusions are Duratecs
Old 6th November 2008, 19:47   #43
BHPian

Which city?
What's your gut feeling?
How was your test ride?
Old 6th November 2008, 20:02   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Which city?
What's your gut feeling?
How was your test ride?
This is in Delhi. Gut feeling is I am interested in the deal. There is no obvious visible problem to the vehicle and it looks in good shape even after 2 yrs means scratchless.

But I am little apprehensive with price and the KM on ODO. Ford I know is prohibitively expensive to maintain in terms of service and parts.

So looking for suggestions
Old 6th November 2008, 21:06   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humans View Post
I am getting Sep 2006 Ford Fusion 1.6 petrol in 2.5L. Odo reading is 30K. Would like to know your opinions on the cost, is it right or should I negotiate for less.
Thanks in advance
You think you can negotiate this. I think they put a minimum price of 2.50+Bid.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks