Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2005, 20:05   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
WagonR with same engine as 800 with one more cylinder? I like that. And I thought, WagonR was supposedly technically most superior car offered by Maruti in its category.
RX, this is definitely true that one more cylinder of same cc has been added to Maruti 800 to create Wagon R. Wagon R in Japan is with 650 cc engine. 1061 cc Wagon R engine has been designed in India to pitch Wagon R against Santro (with 1.1 L engine) and not available outside (can somebody corroborate the avilability bit??).

Also Wagon R and Zen cater to different needs so the choice is based on needs. As far as build quality is concerned, Wagon R scores a point with crumple zones et. al. but sheetmetal used is the same I believe...

~maniac
Old 4th March 2005, 20:07   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
WagonR engine is not only technically superior to Zen, it is more powerful too.
No doubts about that.

But that does not mean that a wagonR will beat Zen in 0-60 or 0-100 timings... pingme, it depends on other factors as well...
I am not refering to engine power...thats different, I am refering to Technical aspects of engine like metal used, its gearbox fine ness etc etc...

powerwise Indica engine is also power full but....
Old 4th March 2005, 22:12   #18
BHPian

hey guys the zen is definately ABSOLUTELY better dan a wagon r pls dont say its not gud its performance n maintainance is da best in the world after 800 i too drove it n at the wagon r is no compare for it!!
Old 4th March 2005, 23:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod
is da best in the world after 800 i too drove it n at the wagon r is no compare for it!!

.................................................. .................................................. . world????????????
hmm
Old 5th March 2005, 03:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

The new Zen is a nice car.It looks good and performs well,and also provides with the much required FE.And above all its Maruti.Great back-up in service etc.
One cant go wrong with a Zen.Its that good.

X
Old 5th March 2005, 07:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

i agree the zen is still a great car though outdated...there are other cars which offer more...but to the masses the zen is the car to have after the 800. And the zen does not have so many issues like mentioned ... it may be a one-off case. Go for the zen.

Drifter
Old 5th March 2005, 22:26   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

The Zen is a god car but its ride, space, handling arent one of the best available in its class.
I would suggest a WagonR, a far more safer, comfortable, bigger car with almost identical performance and FE.
Old 6th March 2005, 09:06   #23
Team-BHP Support

A pre-cat Zen is a the best car of the lot - lower profile tyres and a revvy engine made it a great car. Catalysors and high profile tyres of later cars deadened the experience
Old 6th March 2005, 11:51   #24
SLK
Senior - BHPian

.. o.o.... WagonR is 800+1 cylinder!.... its not as simple!

both the engines are from the same series... F8D and F10D...
the current 800 does not use the F8D... its a 6 valve thing.
the alto uses F8D

and Alto Vx or Vxi is the car that actually is supposed to be running on the F10D.
Suzuki had replaced the old International Alto (our zen) with the Alto (Our Alto Vxi). You think Suzuki is so dumb to replace an old car with a new one which has a inferior engine?
WagonR takes its engine from the International Alto and not the 800!!! LOL.
WagonR engine is way ahead of the 800 engine.... which is F8B (if I am not wrong)... even if you compare it to F8D its still way ahead.
Digital ignition? ... is one example that none of the other small marutis have.

Zen has a short stroke engine... which is really pooor in torque.
Old 6th March 2005, 11:53   #25
BHPian

yea...the pre-cat zen was definately a bomb(for the time) i own one with a free flow and a portin/polishin job done...its pretty decent...
i'd say..get the zen..
Old 6th March 2005, 19:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK

the alto uses F8D

and Alto Vx or Vxi is the car that actually is supposed to be running on the F10D.
Suzuki had replaced the old International Alto (our zen) with the Alto (Our Alto Vxi). You think Suzuki is so dumb to replace an old car with a new one which has a inferior engine?
WagonR engine is way ahead of the 800 engine.... which is F8B (if I am not wrong)... even if you compare it to F8D its still way ahead.

That information will surely open some eyes. Very well put up.
Old 7th March 2005, 09:58   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK

the alto uses F8D

Very true.. Alto is F8D with 796 cc and 3 valves per cylinder.. The wagon R is 1061 cc (796*4/3) with 4 valves per cylinder. Of course the Wagon R engine is more advanced than the M800 engine...probably the link below to a post on moutshut corroborates my point..

http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Maru...R-11524-1.html

Also I have read this in some other "professional" article too...will see if I can search and put the link

~maniac
Old 7th March 2005, 14:37   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
There was a detailed article in overdrive or autocar india on how inteligently maruti redesigned 800 blocks and engine for WagonR and Alto VX which was the main factor for theiroffering at low costs, I could not get a artcile to post it here.

Last edited by pingme : 7th March 2005 at 14:38. Reason: spellings
Old 7th March 2005, 15:25   #29
BHPian

Its true that the Alto/WagonR engine is 800+1 cylinder but whats wrong with that. The engine is whole lot smoother than the 800, has a totally different head and other stuff like DDLI etc... I own a 800 and an Alto Vx and can vouch for the fact that even with the old block design, this is a very good engine to drive (not a high revving one but sort of a cruiser).

The choice would depend on how u drive your car. If you like a laidback and relaxed ride, its the WagonR. If you like revving the car hard and pushing it to the limit, its the Zen.
Old 7th March 2005, 22:34   #30
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingme
There was a detailed article in overdrive or autocar india on how inteligently maruti redesigned 800 blocks and engine for WagonR and Alto VX which was the main factor for theiroffering at low costs, I could not get a artcile to post it here.
Yes I remember reading that article.. which said.. 800+1...

It said.. maruti designed the engine... which is absolutely wrong.
Maruti doesn't do anything more than head light changes.
Only thing is that both engines 800's and Alto's use same cylinder sizes.

engine block is not a separable thing... like u could use any 800 block and attach one additional cylinder to make it a 1.1L.

the only things they could have used common with 800 were the injectors and spark plugs (or some valves and heads).

i think this thing came up in overdrive which is more like a gossip magazine to me!

Also there is a general conception that aluminum alloy blocks are outright better than cast iron, which again according to me is not true as both have their advantages.

Last edited by SLK : 7th March 2005 at 22:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks