Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2008, 22:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Should I Buy Swift VDi w/ABS or wait? Confusion!

Hi Guys,
I am planning to buy a new Swift VDI with Abs. I had read many posts and threads all over the forum regarding it but still i want to clarify few ones just to be 100% ascertained. Kindly all the Gurus and related people on the forum help me solve the dilemma.
1. Is this the right car within the budget of 5-6lacs or there is a better alternative?
2. Should I be buying the Vdi with ABS or without Abs. The diff is 20k so i just want to know if its worth to spend 20k more for ABS as i had driven a Swift Vdi of a friend which is without Abs and brakes were quiet good in it.Still i will if its worth it.advice plz?
3. Are there any new diesel cars getting launched this year which are better than Swift within the 5-6 lacs bracket? I can wait for a couple of months if there are any. I would prefer diesel only as my running per month is around 2-3k
4.- When is the ideal time to buy it. Is it near Diwali or end of year as am looking to get as much discount as i can get.
5.- As i belong to Faridabad which comes under the NCR area so i can buy from FBD, Delhi, Noida and Gurgaon so can the people around here suggest me any good dealer who is tried and tested for this purpose.
6.- Which is the best color to buy in between White/Black/Red?
7.- Does anyone knows about the waiting period on this as i had heard its quiet high?
8.- Any other relevant info regarding this thread with be highly welcomed.
9.- Regarding the upgradation of tyres/alloys/ICE which are the best threads to follow and also if you can give me the name of the people whom i can PM for the same.

P.S to Mods - I know there are few threads which i had read regarding this but as this is my first car i wanted specific information so kindly let this run till i buy it.
Old 13th August 2008, 00:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

1. It very much is considering you want a deisel.
2. I would recommend ABS. Helpful and its better to be safe for giving a mere 20k extra rather than risking your life in unlikely situations
3. Maybe the grand punto ( no date is available for its launch , should come with the same 1.3 MJD)
4.- I'd say diwali, dealers shower discounts
5.- No idea for the same
6.- Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Choose the colour you like the most
7.- It's about 3 months
For tyres - Contact Iraghava
for ICE - Contact Low_Bass_Maker ( LBM)

Cheers
Old 13th August 2008, 00:09   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I can answer a couple of your questions...

about ABS... ABS is there for emergencies, it is absolutely irrelevant to every-day driving, and will not make you feel the braking is any better or worse.

The day you need it, it could save your life, or somebody else's. It is worth 20K, yes. If you buy it and never need it, you have been a good and a lucky driver

about colour... there is no colour better than the colour you like best. Except perhaps the colour that your wife or girlfriend likes best! I chose the car; she chose the colour. I would have bought gold, she wanted grey.

about discounts... if the car is still selling as well as it was, there will be none, but we bought when the car was just released, and they could have charged anything!

about upgradation... please join me in my mission to eradicate this horrible made-up word. The correct one is upgrade
Old 13th August 2008, 00:55   #4
BHPian

u could wait for the grande punto which will be much better in terms of drive and interior space and build.its gonna come in the first quarter of 2009.
u could also consider the palio multijet which comes in your budget.the interior space and build quality and suspension is way better than swift but the swift wins hands down in the fun to drive factor.but the palio in itself has a decent drive.
dealers do give discounts during diwali and u could expect better discounts this time around because of the dipping sales.
colour of the car is really subjective but personally i luv the red colour though dark colours are tough to maintain.
plz go for ABS.
Old 13th August 2008, 00:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
1. It very much is considering you want a deisel.
2. I would recommend ABS. Helpful and its better to be safe for giving a mere 20k extra rather than risking your life in unlikely situations
3. Maybe the grand punto ( no date is available for its launch , should come with the same 1.3 MJD)
4.- I'd say diwali, dealers shower discounts
5.- No idea for the same
6.- Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Choose the colour you like the most
7.- It's about 3 months
For tyres - Contact Iraghava
for ICE - Contact Low_Bass_Maker ( LBM)

Cheers
Are there any pics available for grand Punto? and i had heard that will be launched somewhere in mid of 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I can answer a couple of your questions...

about ABS... ABS is there for emergencies, it is absolutely irrelevant to every-day driving, and will not make you feel the braking is any better or worse.

The day you need it, it could save your life, or somebody else's. It is worth 20K, yes. If you buy it and never need it, you have been a good and a lucky driver

about colour... there is no colour better than the colour you like best. Except perhaps the colour that your wife or girlfriend likes best! I chose the car; she chose the colour. I would have bought gold, she wanted grey.

about discounts... if the car is still selling as well as it was, there will be none, but we bought when the car was just released, and they could have charged anything!

about upgradation... please join me in my mission to eradicate this horrible made-up word. The correct one is upgrade
Alrite so ABS is in. Well a dealer told me that white has more waiting period then black/red, Is this true as i was not aware that waiting period is as per the color?

Mission is joined and the word 'upgrade' is accepted
Old 13th August 2008, 02:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Alrite so ABS is in. Well a dealer told me that white has more waiting period then black/red, Is this true as i was not aware that waiting period is as per the color?
Yes i have heard the same,2-3months of waiting(tough the say they will get it done before only),White,silver are in demand according to them,so they are available sooner
Old 13th August 2008, 02:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Are there any pics available for grand Punto? and i had heard that will be launched somewhere in mid of 2009.
Here is a pic, google images will give you many results. Regarding the launch, well many sources are saying many different things hence I would not confuse you further and just tell you to wait if you are not in a hurry, if you are the Swift VDi is a very good car IMHO.

So it is your call
Attached Thumbnails
Should I Buy Swift VDi w/ABS or wait? Confusion!-punto4.jpg  

Old 13th August 2008, 02:53   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

That is a lovely-looking car, but if one has to wait until next year, and you need/want a car now... What to do?

(and thanks for sympathising on the language thing )
Old 13th August 2008, 03:00   #9
BHPian

Thad E Ginathom - simple, go for the swift. It has been in the Indian market for quite a while and the owner reviews are simply fabulous (other than the rattling problem, but thats why we all love/hate Maruti). Once the GP launches, even though it has been in the market in other countries for quite some time I would still not jump on it and suggest it to anyone till the car has seen Indian roads for a while and wait for reviews, add to that the famous stories of FIAT's A.S.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That is a lovely-looking car, but if one has to wait until next year, and you need/want a car now... What to do?
AND YOU OWN ONE

Last edited by senindra : 13th August 2008 at 03:01. Reason: Just noticed he owns one !
Old 13th August 2008, 03:08   #10
Team-BHP Support

confused?

Quote:
I am planning to buy a new Swift VDI with Abs. I had read many posts and threads all over the forum regarding it but still i want to clarify few ones just to be 100% ascertained. Kindly all the Gurus and related people on the forum help me solve the dilemma.
harry10, the Swift Diesel is a very popular car on Team-BHP - tried and tested.

Just use the search function and all will be revealed. These are general queries that everybody has when buying his/her first car. They've been asked and they've been answered.

If you want to wait for the Punto, it's going to be a long wait. How long can you afford to?

Buy a car with ABS. Rs. 20k might help you stay out of a ditch and help prevent a Rs. 20 lakh hospital bill, or worse. A car without ABS in this day and age doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Colour - your choice. I dislike red and white on certain cars, you might not. I dislike that horrendous orange even more.

Your monthly running isn't enough for a humongous diesel advantage. You'll get along fine with a petrol too.

Regarding the ICE & the Alloys, two fantastic places to get started:
The Swift Audio Thread
Tyre Upgrade for the Swift
You'll find find what you're looking for in there. Read through them - they're huge and they have answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10
P.S to Mods - I know there are few threads which i had read regarding this but as this is my first car i wanted specific information so kindly let this run till i buy it.
No, thats wrong - there aren't a few threads, there are quite a few threads.
Old 13th August 2008, 05:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Just one sec, isnt the ABS on swift supposed to be two channel instead of four like in SX4? That makes it not worth the wait in my mind, IMO.

And yes, those threads are being eagerly lapped up by me
Old 13th August 2008, 07:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
1. Is this the right car within the budget of 5-6lacs or there is a better alternative?
Are you willing to test Getz CRDi? You can have a TD to make sure you tried all and selected your best choice.
2. Should I be buying the Vdi with ABS or without Abs. The diff is 20k so i just want to know if its worth to spend 20k more for ABS as i had driven a Swift Vdi of a friend which is without Abs and brakes were quiet good in it.Still i will if its worth it.advice plz?
ABS is worth it. These are some of the features which you cannot get it done after market. I am not saying about possibiliies, but its always good to go with company fitted model.
3. Are there any new diesel cars getting launched this year which are better than Swift within the 5-6 lacs bracket? I can wait for a couple of months if there are any. I would prefer diesel only as my running per month is around 2-3k
I dont think there is any new diesel car in your budget coming up in next couple of months.
4.- When is the ideal time to buy it. Is it near Diwali or end of year as am looking to get as much discount as i can get.
Its should be year end and sometimes beginning of Jan.
5.- As i belong to Faridabad which comes under the NCR area so i can buy from FBD, Delhi, Noida and Gurgaon so can the people around here suggest me any good dealer who is tried and tested for this purpose.
Eventhough its subjective, I would prefer Red.
7.- Does anyone knows about the waiting period on this as i had heard its quiet high?
Depends on city to city. So, check with few dealers in your place.
9.- Regarding the upgradation of tyres/alloys/ICE which are the best threads to follow and also if you can give me the name of the people whom i can PM for the same.
Tyre & Alloy wheel Section - Team-BHP
In-Car Entertainment - Team-BHP
These 2 section should help solve al your queries.

Comments in bold.

Have a good shopping!
Old 13th August 2008, 09:11   #13
BHPian

My replies in line your message.
Quote:
1. Is this the right car within the budget of 5-6lacs or there is a better alternative? You could try Palio 1.3MJD while Getz 1.5 CRDi may be slightly off your budget
2. Should I be buying the Vdi with ABS or without Abs. The diff is 20k so i just want to know if its worth to spend 20k more for ABS as i had driven a Swift Vdi of a friend which is without Abs and brakes were quiet good in it.Still i will if its worth it.advice plz? Yes! with ABS is better especially for the Diesel, I find it inadequete
3. Are there any new diesel cars getting launched this year which are better than Swift within the 5-6 lacs bracket? I can wait for a couple of months if there are any. I would prefer diesel only as my running per month is around 2-3k May be FIAT Grand Punto but it would be way off your budget
4.- When is the ideal time to buy it. Is it near Diwali or end of year as am looking to get as much discount as i can get. Its actually at financial year ending so March, but even Dec/Jan is good time as many folks postpone the purchase to get the next year model
5.- As i belong to Faridabad which comes under the NCR area so i can buy from FBD, Delhi, Noida and Gurgaon so can the people around here suggest me any good dealer who is tried and tested for this purpose. No idea
6.- Which is the best color to buy in between White/Black/Red? black attracts heat, white has a taxi image so Red it is... you could also try the silver and gray colors
7.- Does anyone knows about the waiting period on this as i had heard its quiet high? No idea in NCR
9.- Regarding the upgradation of tyres/alloys/ICE which are the best threads to follow and also if you can give me the name of the people whom i can PM for the same. Search in the appropriate section, tyre upgrade is a must - a fine balance (ride & handling) would be 185/60 R14, look for Aura alloys which are ISI certificied and avoid imported ones; ICE to your individual preference...

Happy hunting

Old 13th August 2008, 09:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Swift D would be the best bet if you are looking at a car by this year end.
Splash 1.3 DDIS will come around April '09. But it ll be lil more roomier than Swift but it ll be priced around Swift range. Fiat GP will be launched between Feb- April '09 but i dont think it ll come in your budget.
Old 13th August 2008, 11:25   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Guys,

If you want a diesel, yes this is the best. Unless you can take chances with the A.S.S and resale of a Palio MJD or wait for the new Indica

I was in the same dilemma. Chose to go for ABS purely because it may be a life saver and for 20k, I chose to invest in this instead of fancy things like alloys.

New Indica with the same engine is the one that will be launched immediately. December January might see Splash diesel.

September end. Thats when everyone tries to complete their quarter targets. If you are not superstitious, then booking during Shraadhs might get you a good deal

Buy from anyone who gives quicker delivery. Servicing can be done from anywhere

I prefer white, but this is purely your choice.

Yes, its very high and hence my answer to ques 5
My replies inline in bold.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks