Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2009, 14:47   #1
BHPian

Hi-RPM Downshift | Considering a Swift VDis (in lieu of Innova)

Why Swift?
After the DEL-CCU Cruise and especially after Driving Phamilyman 'My Ka Laal', I am considering purchasing a Swift VDis.

Why not Getz CDRi?

I have test driven today both the Getz Crdi (to compare) as well as a Swift Vdis. I was absolutely bowled over by the Getz but am clear about Swift due to the fact that it is more popular and easy to re-sell.

Disappointed with the AC

All the three cars (swift, Getz and my Innova) were parked under direct sunlight. It was 1 pm and the AC of both the Swift and Getz did not perform as good. I was sweating even after 25 minutes and when I got back into my Innova, it chilled me in 15 minutes flat!!)

This could be a deterrent, so please throw some light what was wrong. Is the AC of Getz and Swift not as powerful as Innovas, Or was the Condensor Dirty? I dont know. Both the Swift and Getz were brand new and not Test Drive vehicles.

Accessories
Please help me with budgeting for Accessories that I will put will be a
  • 15" Rims for Michelin Tyres 205/55/R15
  • ICE (Monoamp+12" Woofer+ Component + Coaxial + MP3 HU)
Query:
  • What will be the prices for the tyres and rims?
  • I want the widest Tyres without scraping the body.Is 205/55/R15 the best possible. (wish if iraghava comes to the rescue)
Color
I am considering either white or silver

Variant
With only 34K difference (In Kolkata), the VDis it is.

Prices
Ex Showroom Price 5,02,370
Road Tax 31,250
Regn Charges: 5,000
Insurance: 15,124Accessories: 50,000

At Home Price: 6,00,000 (appx)

What is wrong with the Innova?

Nothing as such. Absolutely Nothing with my Cruiseship.

It just that the Swift Vdis looks better in terms of:
  • Mileage (upto 24 kmpl)
  • Engine NVH
  • Easy Zip-Zap Overtaking
Old 17th April 2009, 14:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

The Innova does enjoy phenomenal resale, but are you sure you want to take the financial hit ? Swift is a good car, but it would not have helped you shifting houses.

Not a wise decision in my opinion. There will always be a car that will seem to be better than your current buy, and it will be the same when you own a Swift. You love your Innova, so keep it. Its way to early to dispose it off.

Listen to the head, not the heart.
Old 17th April 2009, 14:55   #3
Team-BHP Support

For someone who went all around proclaiming about the Innova and how there could be no other, i find it extremely surprising that you decided to go down the ladder.

Does that signify the end of carrying around all your belongings across the country?
Old 17th April 2009, 15:04   #4
Team-BHP Support

If you plan to do lot of highways stick with Innova, and if you want more comfortable drive, buy a Gets which has softer shocks (handling might not be crisp), swift is good for the driver, passenger ride is not sweet and boot space lesser.

Now if you have really made up your mind to buy Vdi, dont go for 15 inch. Stick to 14". Again width more than 195 will bog down on performance and handling, i have wasted enough time on this research. So 14 or 15" stick to 195 width.

195/60/14 perfect handling for Vdi
195/65/14 compromise between handling and comfort
195/70/14 great comfort and ride height
Old 17th April 2009, 15:04   #5
BHPian

But

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
For someone who went all around proclaiming about the Innova and how there could be no other, i find it extremely surprising that you decided to go down the ladder.

Does that signify the end of carrying around all your belongings across the country?
Nope Pal. Its not that. The Vehicle is a Gem.

But after reading so many stories on the VdiS, passively and now actually traveling in it on a Long Journey, I am finding it attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
There will always be a car that will seem to be better than your current buy, and it will be the same when you own a Swift. Listen to the head, not the heart.
I am taking your words for it.

And about Moving Houses, I have changed my policy. It will either be selling of all furniture or calling Agarwal & Agarwal.
Old 17th April 2009, 15:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Swift will never be able to offer you the kind of comfort the Innova does. The Innova is far more comfortable both for the driver and also it's passengers on long highway cruises, which you seem to do a lot of.
Old 17th April 2009, 15:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm, interesting - a couple of rides & ready to change loyalties?

Honestly can't figure out why you'd like to make the shift though based on what I understand your requirements to be (from your travelogues). However, TEHO.

(By the way, I guess you're referring to the Swift VDI, powered by DDIS, not a Swift VDIs)
Old 17th April 2009, 15:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If you plan to do lot of highways stick with Innova, and if you want more comfortable drive, buy a Gets which has softer shocks (handling might not be crisp), swift is good for the driver, passenger ride is not sweet and boot space lesser.

Now if you have really made up your mind to buy Vdi, dont go for 15 inch. Stick to 14". Again width more than 195 will bog down on performance and handling, i have wasted enough time on this research. So 14 or 15" stick to 195 width.

195/60/14 perfect handling for Vdi
195/65/14 compromise between handling and comfort
195/70/14 great comfort and ride height
Thank You for the Valuable Comments.
  • On the Wheel-front, I would go for 195/60/14
  • As regards, Highway travel and ride quality, my doubts are cleared.

Fellow Patrons:

I bought my innova, based on opinions from you all.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...-2008-a-6.html (Toyota Innova Variant and TCO Analysis Workshop 2008)

I have been spending lot of time in Swift threads since yesterday, especially Phamilyman's and JagguD's.
Old 17th April 2009, 15:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Personally I think its not a wise decision unless,

1. Want to reduce the current EMI amount,
2. Increase the paisa vasool for fuel,

Other than that I find no reason especially because the Innova is just an year old. May be its just me???
Old 17th April 2009, 15:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, Swift has no comparison with Innova. It doesnt make sense at all.

Only reason that I would want to sell an Innova and buy a Swift is when I am not able to maintain the Innova cost of ownership. it is as simple as that.

Coming to AC, My Alto chills in no time even if it is under full sun. I dont even pull down the window to remove the heat. I dont know but I cannot compare AC chill simply by sitting for few minutes. I need to experience the comfort of AC while driving for some time.

Abhi
Old 17th April 2009, 15:20   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Hmmm, interesting - a couple of rides & ready to change loyalties?

Honestly can't figure out why you'd like to make the shift though based on what I understand your requirements to be (from your travelogues). However, TEHO.

(By the way, I guess you're referring to the Swift VDI, powered by DDIS, not a Swift VDIs)
I stand Corrected. Its the VDI and not the Vdis.

Its not about changing loyalties after a couple of rides. Only a few BHpians know that I was on the verge of booking a Ldi last year September. Now after traveling in the vehicle, all but the AC Issue remains.
Old 17th April 2009, 15:22   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The Swift will never be able to offer you the kind of comfort the Innova does. The Innova is far more comfortable both for the driver and also it's passengers on long highway cruises, which you seem to do a lot of.
Forget comfort, the swift will never be able to offer the same reliability which is more important for long highway journeys.

Swift as a car is very good and it's engine is a gem. But going by forum reviews it has quite a few niggling issues. The build quality is not great and the engine has a quite a few small issues which need attention. Almost everyone is complaining of airfilter getting clogged easily, teh boost at 2000rpm suddenly disappearing and other issues.

They may not be major and not showstoppers but the innova is bullet proof in comparison.

Plus no other car will tackle bad road like the innova.

The only reason I can see for the swift in your case is your habit to close the ORVMS. It will be easier in the swift owing to the Innovas length. Your neck will strain less.
Old 17th April 2009, 15:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
the Innova cost of ownership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
1. Want to reduce the current EMI amount,
2. Increase the paisa vasool for fuel
Cost does not come in the picture at all. The Mini-Monster is not coming cheap u see. Six lakhs is close to a Xylo base version.

I am not even complaining about the FE the Innova gives, its just that with the FE of the VDI, longer and frequent trips are possible.
Old 17th April 2009, 15:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

If you conidering Swift why not the Dzire Diesel it has all that Swift has plus a boot.
Old 17th April 2009, 15:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
But going by forum reviews it has quite a few niggling issues. the innova is bullet proof in comparison.

Plus no other car will tackle bad road like the innova.

The only reason I can see for the swift. Your neck will strain less.
good points

Was Sceptical about the reliability, Well in comparison to innova.

And about the Rubbernecking part, I am out of words
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks