Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2009, 13:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

When you say you are going to test drive the i20, is it the 1.2 petrol or 1.4 diesel?

Regarding Punto's 0-100 timing, it is not impressive, it's not a performance car but third gear onwards the car moves and how! I don't know how good the diesel demo Punto's condition was or how many kms it had but about 2000kms later the Punto seems like a new car altogether.

Noise levels rise 2,500rpm onwards. I am sure there are quieter diesels around but again the noise is not so loud that it will be a deal breaker.
Old 26th August 2009, 14:43   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Suggest TD I 20 Diesel and share the details with us.

Punto is clearly a "heart" over "head" matter - However I 20 is certainly not lagging in the looks department.
Old 1st September 2009, 14:55   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
I parked my baleno at Rama motors, okhla delhi. I had rushed due to my eagerness and hence the baleno's torque, power and ride quality were sharply placed in my mind. I was hoping I wouldn't have to compromise.

I'm not going to rant about the beauty of the car, what I am going to mention is the fact that i'm 6.1 feet tall and there's no way anyone above 5.9 feet is going to be comfortable behind me.
My father on on the other hand is 5.7 and I was alright on the rear seat.
I could not TD the car since there was a long queue but the rear space is very less, I'm 5'11 and after I adjusted the front seat.. there was hardly any space left at the rear, I somehow squeezed in and was very uncomfortable.

The Tilt steering also seems to be higher than usual (Even at the lowest position), I think people who are used to holding it at the bottom on a long drive would be disappointed and hence drive strain on shoulders will be higher.

Will add more after I do the TD
Old 1st September 2009, 15:54   #19
BHPian

Hi Shankar,

Only in one department I will say Punto is "heart" over "head" matter is After Sales Service (but it has now improved tremendrously).
If you consider i20 Petrol and Punto Petrol: Punto has better engine, better looks (though subjective), great driveability and also pricing is very competitive. I can write a page on Punto's petrol engine and who ever says it is underpowered or non-performing, I believe most of them saying without even driven it for once.
Punto Diesel: Again value for money and a proven engine. Rightly mentioned in earlier posts, at i20 petrol price you will get Punto diesel.

I think "Head" and "Heart" are aligning here.

Last edited by Gallant : 1st September 2009 at 15:59. Reason: I missed mentioning after sales service
Old 1st September 2009, 16:06   #20
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

for those test driving the Punto Petrol, the first impressions leads to a feeling of it being underpowered, but it isn't exactly the case. The Petrol needs more of a push on the accelerator that the diesel in the case of the Punto.

So just go ahead and depress the accelerator in the lower gears if you do actually want to feel the power. The reason the company guys seem to have kept the larger press required on the Puno petrol acc seems to be fuel effeciency. But for those who want a sportier ride there is nothing stopping them from actually pressing the acc. To clarify am here referring to the 1.4 Petrol on the 1.2.

Punto seems the best bet among the options shortlisted, go for it, but do test drive the petrol again with a heavy foot.
Old 1st September 2009, 17:17   #21
BHPian

You are spot on ACM and this engine can be as aggressive or be as soothing
Old 1st September 2009, 17:20   #22
BHPian

I went through the overdrive magazine where they compared all the hatches for both Petrol & Diesel. In the diesel category i20 wins though it is costlier. Since you are looking for safety i20 comes with 6 airbags. Anyday I would go for a Punto, however TD i20 and check its features before deciding.
Old 10th September 2009, 15:51   #23

Hi All, I joined Team BHP recently and this is my first post. Come Navratras, and I'll have my Punto at home.This will be Active 1.2.

As of now my monthly running is around 1200 kms, hence going for Petrol. Further, it fits the budget too. But, the running may increase to 2000 kms in near future. Should it, then I will get CNG kit for it.

Now, having read reviews from many on sluggish performance of 1.2 owing to poor power to weight ratio, I am outright confused if I am making right decision. Would CNG impact its performance in a big way ?

Please suggest!I couldnt stretch the budget more, and thats why not going for MJD.

PS: I am not a power enthusiast. However, at the same time I dont want a bull cart. My 70 % of drivingwould be confined to city only.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 10th September 2009, 19:39   #24
BHPian

gold4uin, try to stretch till dynamic (1.4 engine).
Then you will have no second thoughts on power.

But on forum here there is a 1.2 Active owner and he says performance isn't as bad.
Old 10th September 2009, 19:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

@gold4uin- Didn't you td the car?
Will be best if you TD the car yoursef(1.2 and 1.4) and then decide.
Old 11th September 2009, 12:53   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
@gold4uin- Didn't you td the car?
Will be best if you TD the car yoursef(1.2 and 1.4) and then decide.
Yet to take a TD of 1.2. 1.4 meets my power requirements but then I am considered about other aspects like FE.

While 1.2 is good enough for city driving with just the right torque at low RPM, at the same time I am trying to figure out the impact on performance if i go for CNG kit for it later.
Old 11th September 2009, 13:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold4uin View Post
Now, having read reviews from many on sluggish performance of 1.2 owing to poor power to weight ratio, I am outright confused if I am making right decision. Would CNG impact its performance in a big way ?

Please suggest!I couldnt stretch the budget more, and thats why not going for MJD.

Thanks,
Vishal
Well I got a 1.2 active petrol a month back and have driven close to 2500 kms till date.went on a 600 kms trip and the car doesnt seem to be sluggish to me.
I still haven taken the car above 90 but would do so soon once the first service is over.
I dont find the car to be really underpowered,depends on how you drive and the power surge you need say in the first few seconds on your drive.
Go for a td and take a call.
Old 14th September 2009, 20:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

I need some advice from the experts to make my decision easier.

I am split between Petrol and Diesel Emotion+ variants.
My monthly running is not expected to cross 800 kms, at least for a year or so, may go up after that (currently 16 kms of daily running, some weekend short trips, once in 2 months long trips). Around 60/40 city/highway split.
It's definitely not something that warrants a diesel car. My 800 has done only 20000 in 5 years.

Personally I liked the petrol variant more, more fun to drive than the diesel. Also I haven't driven a diesel before. All my driving experience is limited to Maruti small cars (800, WagonR, Alto).
But I am inclined to go with the multijet only because of the economy of mileage, and the fact that i am going to keep it for long time (~7 years), economically it would make better sense.

Some doubts i have:
  • Anything wrong in going with diesel with my kind of running?
  • Is the clutch is going to be significantly heavier in diesel variant than the petrol. I didn't notice much difference in TD cars, but will the clutch get heavier with running? Will this cause any knee/ankle trouble in the long run (i am thin built, 5' 6", < 60 kgs)? Or is this something just a matter of getting used to?
  • Any other important points that I should know in petrol/diesel comparison?

Planning to book by saturday/sunday
Old 14th September 2009, 21:02   #29
BHPian

@silentengine

IMHO, a Diesel will make more sense if you drive 1000+ km in a month. But if you are comfortable with the initial price of a Diesel it will be a good option, and it will make more sense too. It will give you a good FE/performance ratio figures (as the1.4 is more performer one the FE figures are low, but for the 1.3MJD it gives more than the expected FE for the beautiful performance)
Old 14th September 2009, 21:10   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
I need some advice from the experts to make my decision easier.

I am split between Petrol and Diesel Emotion+ variants.
All I can say is I'll be in a similar dilemma after 3-4 months. So I will be eagerly waiting for the responses to your query.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks