Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Its a no brainer.
Ritz it should be. Delightful engine, bullet proof reliability, decent fuel efficiency and ride, strong after sales support and most importantly - peace of mind!

TATA is not known for its petrol cars, and service guys do not seem to understand the petrol engines too well either. Besides, there is still a lot of difference between quality of a TATA and a modern Suzuki. Besides, a TATA petrol will have a much lower resale than the Suzuki.

i10 Kappa is good too but beige reflection and bumpy ride are a bit of turn off.

Last edited by DCEite : 23rd September 2009 at 13:33.
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

i10-magna with the kappa eng.It has all the features & a decent hatch for city with decent fit & finish and also has good A.S.S.

RitZ seems to be expensive when compared to i10 & has poor interiors without 4 door power windows,rpm meter,rear wiper & defogger etc which are available in magna with difference of 15k.
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Ritz as it’s
Spacious tall boy design, ingress & egress is not a problem for old & fat people
Excellent K series engine
Good high driving position
Better fuel economy
Good A.S.S

In my experience Hyundai cars are in generally a shade more expensive to maintain and run than the Maruti product.
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:39   #19
BHPian

most of the responses are based on people's own likes and dislikes about cars these cars they may or may not have owned or driven. so take them with a pinch of salt. including my reply too.

lets talk about the each cars.

Ritz- you don't like the looks, you don't get the power windows. you don't get tachometer. why even bother about thinking of buying this. you are not into resale value stuff.. you will hate the looks after 5 years. and maruti's if not maintained properly are just a drab to look at and are fragile. and dare i say cheap. cheap interiors, cheap door panels, cheap plastics, cheap everything. makes you feel cheap yourself. yuck!!. to add insult to the injury this is modern day wagon R. this replaced the wagon R+ sold in UK.

indica vista... guys at tata went wrong with the marketing. just vista was good enough. but they put the indica badge and voila scared away half the market. you don't judge others, you are practical but not this cruel world. you are judged not just by the looks, clothes and personality the moment you put your foot out in this world. do you really wanna drive around an indica around town?? i don't think so.

hyundai i10- these are as conman as the swift and (sneeze.......) flu. and they are small and cute. but remove the glass of modern styling and you will noticed the hyundai trick they have done on this car and they are good at it. the chassis is the same santro more or less. the body panels have been redesigned. plastics colored in beige . the level of plastic quality is measured not on looks but by feel. also what do you think your interiors will look like after 5 years. just imagine. Hyundai's especially Korean cars don't last for 5 years you need something solid built. plus you don't like the front end looks. so why bother about something you hate to see every morning and just the thought of you paid 4.5 lac for it... you be the judge.

grande punto- this car looks gorgeous from the moment you look at it. it is bigger in every dimension you look at it. its the car that separates you from the typical small car buyer or mango ppl (aam janta). this car makes you look good on the streets . and people look at it and go wow. they will never think of buying one. because they are concerned about resale. mileage, and A.S.S etc etc.but it really nothing to worry about. the only con in case of the fiat GP is that the interior may not be as good as the others. but looking good and feeling good is another.

pro's
i can bet that amongst all the cars the punto will survive all the things thrown at it. the weather. bumps bad roads and niggles it can survive for five years for sure.

through in some good beige leather seat covers and door trims. and it will do a remarkable change to the cabin.

and black is not that bad. you don't have to worry about cleaning the cabin often.

punto has the 1.2ltr engine which is great for city driving. and give 14-15 in the city if driven properly.

and it has low end grunt because it being an SOHC engine. you get the peak power at early rpm 2500. this means less gear changes. so city driving is comfortable.

you can take punto on the highway (best highway car among the lot).

best handling car among the lot.

best ride quality when compared to others. perfect match of sporty and comfort.

its a no brainer, go buy yourself a punto. any color looks good on it. make it a sinful red one. once in a while doing a sin is not that bad. its just human nature.

Last edited by Caramelo : 23rd September 2009 at 16:50.
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
to add insult to the injury this is modern day wagon R. this replaced the wagon R+ sold in UK.
No offence, but what kind of weird logic is that. Do you mean to say its just a "modern wagonR" just because it has replaced wagonR in some markets ?

Its a completely different car. There is absolutely nothing common between a WR and the Ritz - except for the Maruti badge. I think you need to drive yourself these two before coming to any premature conclusions.

Quote:
and dare i say cheap. cheap interiors, cheap door panels, cheap plastics, cheap everything. makes you feel cheap yourself.
You really need to experience Punto's interiors - to understand the definition of cheap plastics and poor fit and finish.

Quote:
punto has the 1.2ltr engine which is great for city driving. and give 14-15 in the city if driven properly.
I hope we are not talking about Alto here

Last edited by DCEite : 23rd September 2009 at 17:31.
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

You really need to experience Punto's interiors - to understand the definition of cheap plastics and poor fit and finish.
Well said DCEite the plastics on Punto is one of the worst in this segment.

Ritz drives really well and is the best in class with regards to Fuel economy & headroom.
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Well said DCEite the plastics on Punto is one of the worst in this segment.
I realy don't understand what is basis of these comments , please ask any of the owners , how good or bad the quality is.
The finish is not excellent BUT
Atleast it does not start rattling within a 1000kms of driving like all maruti's

dont want to start a FIAT vs others contest , just my thoughts
Old 23rd September 2009, 18:12   #23
BHPian

I booked i10 Magna for my wife and Maruti Ritz Vxi for myself last week in bangalore.
The Ritz-VXI banaglore OTR is 4.94 Lakhs. Maruti is giving 4k discount. The waiting period of the car is one week time.
And i10 - 1.2L Magna is 4.50L OTR after discounts. Here they are offering all the freebies (3M Sun film, Teflon coating, Remote Lock, MP3 palyer with speakers, Parking Sensors and Fabric Seats).
Old 23rd September 2009, 19:49   #24
BHPian

I would suggest you go for the Vista, interiors may not be the best in the lot, but it's a spacious, solid, reliable (minor niggles notwithstanding) car with cheerful bright interiors, and as far as women driving indicas are concerned, a colleague drives a vista safire and my sister drives a xeta LPG, haven't heard them complain . However, if you had the budget for a Punto 1.4, I wouldn't even have suggested a Vista.
Old 24th September 2009, 11:42   #25
BHPian

Should I catch the i? :P

thanks everyone for the overwhelming response.

I have not taken a test drive of i10 kappa magna and I plan to take it within a day or two. I agree that the fit and finish of hyundai is any day better than TATA , and i10 exceeds on the power too.

I also second that, brand wise, TATA is not the one to go for.

I was biased against i10's looks, and space, but you BHPians have made me see sense. (When my dad told me to consider i10, i had outrightly refused saying i dont like the looks.. seems right that I was prejudiced

Most of the times, I would need space for 3 people, occassionaly for 5. Also, if I consider i10, can I get fogs(bumper lamps) elsewhere, coz hyundai showrooms quote it at 5k per pair!!!?

Plz keep your inputs going.
Old 24th September 2009, 13:36   #26
BHPian

If you are insisting on fogs, then you do need to shell out 3.5 to 5K for them.

Consider this: If you buy a i10 kappa sportz, you get a rear wiper, rear defogger extra apart from the ICE and the rear spoiler. I consider the rear wiper and rear defogger to be an absolutely necessary safety feature as they help a lot during heavy rains.

Fog lights would be helpful only in places here visibility is low due to fog. I live in Bangalore. And didn't go for fog lamps. at the same time during the recent rains(4 months ago or so), the wiper and the defogger(rear ones) were extremely helpful.

Weigh the options!!
Old 24th September 2009, 13:46   #27
BHPian

In case I buy i10

I have one question here. I dont want to go for i10 sportz because I am not impressed with the ICE. But in magna, there are no adjustable head rests, which might be a problem for the rear passengers. Is there any way we can add these head rests in magna? I do not expect adjustable head rests. If it can be added, how and what will be the costs involved? waiting for your replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
If you are insisting on fogs, then you do need to shell out 3.5 to 5K for them.

Consider this: If you buy a i10 kappa sportz, you get a rear wiper, rear defogger extra apart from the ICE and the rear spoiler. I consider the rear wiper and rear defogger to be an absolutely necessary safety feature as they help a lot during heavy rains.

Fog lights would be helpful only in places here visibility is low due to fog. I live in Bangalore. And didn't go for fog lamps. at the same time during the recent rains(4 months ago or so), the wiper and the defogger(rear ones) were extremely helpful.

Weigh the options!!
I live in bangalore too :-)

I was looking for fog lamps just because it enhances the looks, as i dont like the black sockets covers in place of the fogs. can we get a pair of fog lamps anywhere else, and have them fitted? I have read that aftermarket fogs are available in the range of 1000-2000...not sure about them , though!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th September 2009 at 16:31.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi anusha_snh

Are you sure that there are no adjustable rear headrests in i10 Kappa Magna?

I do not remember seeing one in the showroom without headrests! Neither does the website has anything related to rear headrests mentioned.

Also, if you have foglamps fitted from elsewhere, ensure that they do so without cutting any wires etc.

I did not have much of a choice in hatchbacks while buying, as I had to buy an A/T version - and i10 A/T was the best choice in my budget.

I would gladly suggest an i10 magna in your case - not because it is 'better' than the competition (I have not driven any of the other competitors you are considering), but simply from a satisfied i10 owner's point of view.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:44   #29
BHPian

Hey, I am in the same situation as you albeit with a slightly lesser state of confusion.
I am in the market for a new car and my options as of this moment are with i10 and Vista

Also on my list among the other cars were Ritz and Punto. My budget was(is) around Rs. 4 lakhs ex-showroom +/- a couple tens of thousands. Punto went out my list 'cos of the price.

Ritz is always lingering in the back of my head. I love the looks(that for sure is a nono to you) but other than that, the feel of the car, the engine, the gearbox, the gearshift are all killers. However, other than the ZXI, I feel the other models offer very little value for money and I don't want to throw money into a LXI and crib later on.

Head is going with Vista and i10. I have almost settled on a choice between these two, but let me first talk about what is bottom on the list.

i10 - Side on the looks are blah(IMHO). Front on, in the right colors(get a contrast between the body and the grille) and it looks super. Otherwise, the ride quality, the plushness, the engine, the gearshift are all very good and proven since many many months. Typically it is a no brainer if you want a 4 seater.
However, I found the driveability a little bit irritating. Ok, quite irritating. I feel the gearbox is not matched to the engine well enough and my friends who own the car share this opinion. Its a great car if you are moving constantly at 20 or constantly at 60+, however should you need to constantly vary between these speeds, like behind parallel lorries, between signals, etc, it is too much work. I find myself changing gears very often since it runs out of breath very soon while in a single gear. This is the main reason I am not prepared to get an i10.

Vista on the other hand, my what a revelation. I never expected a Tata car to be this way. Gear shift is a bit iffy at times, esp in the 3rd/4th slots, but otherwise it is very smooth. And the engine and NVH levels is a 'drive it to believe it'. It was so silent and so refined that I kept wondering what it was that I had against Tata cars all these years. Of course the car is a behemoth and the 1.2 wont do it any justice, but drive in the higher RPMs and you will not want anything more in the city. Especially in Namma Bengaluru.
And then there the interiors and the space. There is not one who has questioned the space and comfort in the India, and so I will leave it at that. Interior quality? Its not like I will park the car in the garage and sit and admire the interiors all day. I want something functional and that it what the Indica provides. I am not one who can judge the quality of power window switch or air con vents and what the Vista has is good enough for me. Of course long termers can comment on the durability of the plastics, but at first look/feel, it is fine.

So, Vista is right up there and in the next couple of weeks I might finalize on it. Planning to put a TD of i10, this weekend, just in case, to see if my opinions change. But in all probability the Vista it is. Tata Vista, or Indica Vista you say? Stop kidding yourself and just call it Vista. You will then realize how great that car is.

Oh and when it comes to girls driving the Vista, there couldn't be a better choice. Extremely light pedals that require very little effort. Very light steering and very easy to drive. The only thing could be visibility and getting used to the sheer size, but then what are those height adjustable seats that they have provided for? Take you dad pillion on the i10 and then on the Vista. I am interested in knowing his opinion.
Old 24th September 2009, 22:10   #30
BHPian

I took a test drive of i10 today evening. Gear shift is fine and Steering and controls are light and space seems to be ok-ish. Though I admit that the fit and finish are way above vista. This car will be a breeze to manage in city traffic. I did ask the showroom guys about all the problems that owners have reported. He said that they ve not received those complaints and if they do, they ll make sure the problems will be rectified asap. Trident hyundai guys seemed really courteous and answered all my queries with patience. My mind is inclined towards i10 now They are offering the following discounts:
free insurance
4k corporate discount(for my company)
kenwood HU with speakers or 5K cash discount. I prefer the cash discount.
freebies: matting, mud flaps,perfume!, idol! , etc

I want to haggle for remote locking(or fogs) , tints and keyless entry.

So it comes upto around Rs 443000 OTR bangalore with the discounts. Is it a fair deal? what more freebies should I ask for?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks