Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2009, 10:50   #1
BHPian

1L Budget: Palio GTX or something else?

Hello Gang!
As much as I have resisted buying a car in Bombay due to the intense traffic situation, I have succumbed to the idea of buying a car simply for the convenience on the weekends and trips to the golf course – Ever try fitting a golf set in a rickshaw, then a crowded Mumbai local and then a cab! Not a pretty sight at all.

Anyway, my budget is 1L and not a penny more. I do not see my running to be more than 500 KMs in a month – that too is stretching it so diesels are ruled out. Finally I do not want a bigger sedan because of parking and also used sedans around a lakh would be pre-2000’s and after my “involving” experience with my old Cielo in Delhi / Gurgaon, I am done with that gig.

So here are the facts:
1) Budget: 1L
2) No Diesels
3) Running: Sub 500 KMs
4) Should be relatively low maintenance for a used car
5) Car will be self driven so a little pep would be appreciated.
6) I will keep the car for 18 to 24 months so I do not want any major
expenses at that time.

Based on these factors I zoned into the “fabled” Palio GTX which has some serious street cred here on TBHP. My confidence was further strentedgnten by Dr.Pullock’s thread on the Cruze Vs. GTX.

So, I have come across a 2002 example, supposedly in ‘x’cellent’ condition done 25K kilometers. Price quoted is 1.21L so some negotiations would be in order if I settle for this particular car.

I will check the car out in person this weekend and had some questions / suggestions from you guys:

1) What is a fair price for this particular car?
2) What mileage does the GTX give? I have heard anything from sub 5kmpl and upwards of 7kmpl.
3) Does the GTX have any particular issues that I would need to pay attention to in the future?
4) How much should I budget for annual maintainence.
5) What inspections should I conduct on the car apart from driving it, checking for rust, battery life, tyre treads, and service history? Should I take a mechanic with me?
6) What are models should I look for if the GTX is not such a hot buy?

Finally, I would appreciate any tips on buying a used car as this would be my first time engaging in the process. Any negotiation tactics, etc.

Thanks!
vcash
Old 24th October 2009, 11:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

You have already gone through Dr, Pollock's thread, but do go through hrsraghav thread here as well, before zeroing on your decision.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-repaired.html

God forbid we don't wan't you to be spending more time in the workshop than on the Golf course.

Anyways, i would also suggest you to look at an MPFI Old Zen or Alto VXi 1.1. Both are fun to drive, reliable and have easy spare part availability. Maintenance is on a lower side too. Although you might have to stretch your a budget a wee bit.

Last edited by DCEite : 24th October 2009 at 11:16.
Old 24th October 2009, 11:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

It mostly gives 8-9kmpl though others even claim 10-12 depending on driving styles (a verna will give you the same btw).

and please note that palios under-read while a maruti will be 10% overreading!
Old 24th October 2009, 11:31   #4
JVH
Senior - BHPian

GTX as a car is a sheer pleasure to drive. But its got a flip side to it - Spares.

Eventually you will find a good mechanic or an A.S.S but procuring spares is the biggest pain for the palio. You just need to pray that the car doesn't have to go through a major shunt. You also need to ensure that the car is in decent condition. Else time and patience will not only be lost in procuring spares but frequent maintenance also.

So, it is a must that you take a mechanic when you want to inspect the car. My GTX gives me a mileage of 12-14 kmpl on highways and it sure is below 9 kmpl in city.

All the best!
Old 24th October 2009, 11:56   #5
BHPian

Interesting. Very interesting. I would think that since the Palio 1.6 is still in production albeit in an updated avatar, spares should not be such a bad situation esp. in Bombay.

Also, could anyone refer a good mechanic in Andheri W. / JVP / Santa Cruz etc. I would feel more comfortable with them than with some random roadside garagewalla.
Old 24th October 2009, 14:40   #6
BHPian

Even though the palio 1.6 sports is still under production you might have to wait for quite some time beofre your spares arrive.
Items like the headlamps assembly and tail light assembly will be dofficult to procure since its different in the present avataar of the palio.
So if you do plan to buy start hunting for these items immediately so as to keep them in spare.
I have owned a petra 1.6 and i regularly got 9-10 kmpl with semi-sedate kind of driving style.Shut off at signals, dont ride the clutch, dont use A/C if its not really needed , and downshift at 2000rpm or below in city so as to be in a higher gear without straining the engine too much.
Follow these rules and you WILL get 10-12 kmpl easily.

If all this is not too much of a concern,go get a gtx maan..!
Its absolutely maximum bang for the buck.100 horses and driving pleasure in 1lac..!
Old 24th October 2009, 16:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking at 500 Kms a month and a fun to drive vehicle, then look no further than GTX. But in the present market condition, getting hold of a good GTX is a rarity. Somehow the prices for good GTX is slowly rising as demand is exceeding supply. Even after almost 8 years, it is one of the fastest hatchbacks in the country.

The boot is also very spacious and with back folded can easily accomodate the golf club set.

But owning a FIAT has its share of pitfalls as well and hence if you are looking for a no-hassle ownership, then I suggest you stay away from the Palio.
Old 24th October 2009, 17:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Somehow the prices for good GTX is slowly rising as demand is exceeding supply.
So you think the price for the 02 Model done 24K is fair? Ideally I would like to close him for 1L but if the car is good enough, then I would hate to let it go for a couple of thousand more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
But owning a FIAT has its share of pitfalls as well and hence if you are looking for a no-hassle ownership, then I suggest you stay away from the Palio.
I understand that every used car requires attention and I am willing to spend time and take care of it every few months through regular servicing, etc. However I don't want something that constantly breaks down on me espescially when I am on the road. This happened a lot with my Cielo and this was our old family car that was not being used anymore - sure it had 90K Kms on it plus it was 10 years old but it got very irritating to ask people for push starts in Khan market.

So will the Palio be this bad? And what niggles do you speak off?

Last edited by vcash : 24th October 2009 at 17:18.
Old 24th October 2009, 17:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Interesting. Very interesting. I would think that since the Palio 1.6 is still in production albeit in an updated avatar, spares should not be such a bad situation esp. in Bombay.

Also, could anyone refer a good mechanic in Andheri W. / JVP / Santa Cruz etc. I would feel more comfortable with them than with some random roadside garagewalla.
In mumbai you will not face major problems for spares and best is B U bhandari in pune,he keeps good stock for all spares.Go for it its the best hatch you can get at that price.
Am using my car almost done more than 41,000km not a single breakdown.
And again fiat is giving service for breakdown also,and its reliable car its up to us ,how good we maintain the car.

Last edited by parimal_g : 24th October 2009 at 17:35.
Old 24th October 2009, 17:33   #10
BHPian

Circumspect about he claimed odo reading.

Its very improbable that the car has traveled only 24000km in 7 years.
Is he the first owner?
Check the rubber nuggets on the brake and accelerator pedal and if they have worn out on one side then the car has crossed a minimum of 60000km.
Ask him about which set of tires he is on. For 24000km it should be the original set of horrid Bridgestone S322 tires. If there is a new set on it it has crossed 40000km at the very minimum.
Finally what is the owners regimen of changing the fluids of the car and also the air filter. If there is a smooth idle and no sound of the engine in the cabin when at idle early in the morning it should easily last you another 1 lakh km as well maintained GTX engines will easily last 150000km without reboring.

On a hot engine remove the oil level inspection gauge/stick and check for smoke/fumes from the orifice and if there is any do not touch it with a barge pole.Stay away from this car. His quoted price is too low for such a low mileage car.
Most importantly; Is the engine bay clean? It goes to show whether the owner cares for his steed.
A well maintained GTX with rpm above 2000 and below 3500 in the city will give you 9 to 9.8 and on the highway about 13-14kmpl. Please note in the GTX efficiency decreases drastically if the rpm drops below 2000 since petrol flow is mainted in the over run when the rpm goes below 2000. Fuel flow is cut off in the run off when rpm is above 2000. Many lug the engine thinking they will get more kmpl but not so in the GTX. For best fuel efficiency keep the rpm above 2000 and below 3500. For details read the .pdf manual about the GTX engine.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 24th October 2009 at 17:44.
Old 24th October 2009, 18:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

I agree totally with Dr.Pullockaran. Something is fishy if the man is asking for only 1.2L for a car that has run only 25K km.

Spares will not be too much of an issue in Mumbai - Opera house area will keep you supplied for quite some time. Almost every kind of spare for every kind of car (Indian and imported exotic) is available there.

My thread - Fiat Palio GTX 1.6 acquired 2nd hand might be of assistance to you.

Cheers,
Old 24th October 2009, 18:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

I know 1.2L sound very tempting for a Palio GTX, but i will suggest you to resist the temptation and get something practical. There is a huge problem of spare parts and even bigger problem is finding a good place to get it serviced. for regular service you can send it to TASS but if any problem is there in the car it very difficult to diagnose because tata people don't know much about Palio ..... i will suggest you to get a ZEN or Alto but it will be very diffcult finding one for 1L ....
Old 24th October 2009, 19:08   #13
BHPian

@vcash, if you are from Mumbai, you might find Esteems and Ikons that fall within your budget. You need to look for older model cars that has run less Kms and maintained well.
Old 24th October 2009, 19:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

zen/ezen/ikon 1.6?
but the ikon is as risky as the palio
Old 24th October 2009, 19:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

If the car has run 24K, I presume this must be the single Palio in India with the lowest number on the clock.

The Doc has been spot on how to milk the GTX.

Last edited by beejay : 24th October 2009 at 19:22. Reason: the doc...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks