Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2010, 23:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

What i want from the car. The way i see it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
What exactly you would want from the new car? Chart it out and then i can share my thoughts.

For starter if you are looking at it from driver perspective, Swift it is. But if you want more pace and better rear seat comfort for family, go with the Ritz.

Resale both being MUL will not have much of a difference, but expect more popular Swift to hold better value, especially in a state like Kerala.
Here is what i am looking at in the new car.

1. Minimum Mind share during Services. I just want to drop the car at the service centre and get it back and not bother till the next schedule.

2. Maximum Possible F.E at my price range.

3. Decent Ride Comfort. I dont want to feel like in a rally. If the Ritz gives me perceivable ride comfort i dont mind taking turns at a slightly lower speed. If the handling is very bad with very minute improvement in ride comfort i might choose the swift.

4. Something Around 5 Lakh. The lesser the better.

5. Decent enough Re-Sale Value 2-3 years down the line. If the depreciation of the Ritz would be a few % more than Swift i dont mind it if i get perceivable ride comfort during my usage. But if there is going to be a huge difference in resale with a minute difference in ride comfort i would prefer the swift.

6. Not bothered much about "frills" The only things i need are fog lamps and centre locking apart from what is in the Ldi list.

Last edited by gemithomas : 6th February 2010 at 23:34.
Old 6th February 2010, 23:43   #32
BHPian

Confusing!! It's like asking a mother whom she loves most elder one or the younger one! Both the car shares same 1.3L diesel engine, look is subjective - a personal choice. Before buying my Ritz VDi, test driven both the car. In my opinion - Swift is a pocket rocket and Ritz a gentleman's express. Personally I don't like swift's bulbous look and thousands of swift is there in the road. Whereas, ritz has a fresh look, good all round visibility, apperently more spacious. To be very frank I have never driven my car at 140 kmph but done around 120 kmph on Mumbai - Pune express highway with ease. Little bit of body roll can be felt during sharp high speed cornering but manageble. Ritz has 60:40 rear split seat which swift does not have. My personal choice is ritz what about you Gemithomas?
Old 7th February 2010, 02:27   #33
BHPian

I took the Ritz to Sringeri immediately after taking delivery. In fact, I went to the showroom with my bags packed and drove right off. And I took the notorious sakleshpur route. And I'd give a 5 star rating to the Ritz. Absolutely no fatigue and it drives really well. It does not have so much roll so as to worry you, but is not as planted as the swift during cornering. But I did corners at about 100 and did not feel the need to back off at any time. I haven't done 120+ so I do not know about the handling at those speeds. But I'm of the opinion that anything above 120 kmph is asking for trouble.

I had a Fiat Siena before, and I can say that the Ritz is not as planted or as solid as the Fiat. But the steering is close to what the Siena had. It does not feel artificial and actually has pretty good feedback.

The Ritz is spacious, airy and tall, and I prefer cars that have a tall seating. The Ritz diesel is a little more noisier than the Swift as the engine sits halfway into the cabin. I personally find the clatter too much and always drive with the audio on. I scraped the rear twice when taking narrow turns because it juts out, but that's my fault.

The suspension is remarkably better than the existing swifts and is not as sporty, if that's what it's called. Interiors are good, nothing earth shattering. But I like the fact that it has a lot of glass area and the car feels bright, airy and spacious. I hate the Swift because of it's claustrophobic cabin.

It's got a bad turbo lag, especially in the 2nd gear below 2k rpm. But that'll be the case in the Swift as well, which is also being upped for BS IV. The A/C is very good even in Chennai. I've to run it at 4 for something like 20 minutes before my hand starts going numb and I've to turn it down to 1. And this in a black car.

As for the looks, I liked it, my family liked it and I took the black as I felt that this was the colour in which she looked the best. The cabin feels solid and no rattles so far. But this being a diesel, there'll the that typical diesel rattle when the engine takes off or when you're caught in the wrong rpm band. I do not like the positioning of the power window switches as you've to take your arm far back to operate them. But the rest of the ergonomics are acceptable and no grouses so far.

Service and maintenance are low so far, and I don't anticipate any sweat over the regular service bills.

To sum it up, after negating the common features with the Swift, the Ritz's suspension is a little more family oriented. The interior is far better and peace of mind, the same. But whether you choose the Swift or the Ritz, go for the VDi with ABS. You might consider yourself a very safe driver, nature has a mind of it's own. The extra 50000 will only mean a 1000 Rs increase in your EMI. Don't compromise on safety.

Go for the Ritz.
Old 7th February 2010, 11:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

From Adventure to Swift/Ritz?

Purely as a driver, you won't be liking the feel in both these cars since you've been using Adventure.

I've driven both the cars but mostly petrol. Felt Ritz suspension is better, and it doesn't give that claustrophobic feel in the rear seats. Ritz is more like a car for a family person and Swift is for younger generation.

Both will be giving good FE to you. My Punto's last 2000 Kms's average FE is 16 Kmpl as per the DIS, but I am not worried - you know how a Fiat feels to drive.

Last edited by clevermax : 7th February 2010 at 11:22.
Old 7th February 2010, 11:26   #35
Team-BHP Support

Gemi, go with the Ritz then. It will fit your requirements to a T. Handling is NOT that bad compared to Swift, but yes better rear seat comfort wrt space and ride, as well as a decent boot.
Old 7th February 2010, 11:33   #36
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking for a family hatch its got to be the Ritz, if performance is what you are looking for its Swift all the way. That said the Ritz is a newer vehicle and is better put together than the Swift. Then again, for the Swift you have to wait for around 4-5 months for delivery, while you can get the Ritz almost immediately. Ingress, egress, seating postion, ride comfort are all better in the Ritz. The tall boy design makes it seem larger than it actually is. Since the Ritz is under a year old, the dyes should be are pretty good, unlike the Swift's which would have started deteriorating now that its almost 5 years old. So expect the Ritz to have better fit and finish than the Swift. Resale value for the Swift will be better than Ritz anyday. When you factor in the 30k discount for the Ritz, and the 15 k odd price difference between the two, and the fact that you won't get a single pie off on the Swift, net net things get evened out. My vote goes for the Ritz.
Old 7th February 2010, 12:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Confusing!! It's like asking a mother whom she loves most elder one or the younger one! My personal choice is ritz what about you Gemithomas?
Me too inclined towards the Ritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin82 View Post
I had a Fiat Siena before, and I can say that the Ritz is not as planted or as solid as the Fiat. But the steering is close to what the Siena had. It does not feel artificial and actually has pretty good feedback.

The suspension is remarkably better than the existing swifts and is not as sporty, if that's what it's called. Interiors are good, nothing earth shattering. But I like the fact that it has a lot of glass area and the car feels bright, airy and spacious. I hate the Swift because of it's claustrophobic cabin.

To sum it up, after negating the common features with the Swift, the Ritz's suspension is a little more family oriented. The interior is far better and peace of mind, the same. But whether you choose the Swift or the Ritz, go for the VDi with ABS. You might consider yourself a very safe driver, nature has a mind of it's own. The extra 50000 will only mean a 1000 Rs increase in your EMI. Don't compromise on safety.

Go for the Ritz.
Thanks a lot. Good to see a FIAT owner speak about the Ritz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
From Adventure to Swift/Ritz?
Even i am!! But i dont have a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Gemi, go with the Ritz then. It will fit your requirements to a T. Handling is NOT that bad compared to Swift, but yes better rear seat comfort wrt space and ride, as well as a decent boot.
Thanks Jaggu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
When you factor in the 30k discount for the Ritz, and the 15 k odd price difference between the two, and the fact that you won't get a single pie off on the Swift, net net things get evened out. My vote goes for the Ritz.
I was quoted only 7.5K discount. Also the difference between swift and Ritz is just 10K out here.

Last edited by gemithomas : 7th February 2010 at 12:33.
Old 7th February 2010, 12:58   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin82 View Post
But the steering is close to what the Siena had. It does not feel artificial and actually has pretty good feedback.
I had also heard albeit the same thing difference in the steering feedback between Swift and Ritz in ACI & i believe BSM too,
Are the K series Swift's better and what about Rattles, has MUL looked into it?

Quote:
As for the looks, I liked it, my family liked it and I took the black as I felt that this was the colour in which she looked the best.
The best color you can buy, Congrats and for the color
Quote:
whether you choose the Swift or the Ritz, go for the VDi with ABS. You might consider yourself a very safe driver, nature has a mind of it's own. The extra 50000 will only mean a 1000 Rs increase in your EMI. Don't compromise on safety.

Go for the Ritz.
same sentiments echoed here, please opt for ABS option, have been driving the A* ZXi on and off and absolutely swear by it,

^^ 30K is offered as discount for the purchase of Ritz D(any variant), zero offer on Swift and Dzire(all cars by MUL have some offer or the other) at my place

Last edited by Sheel : 7th February 2010 at 13:03.
Old 7th February 2010, 13:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I was quoted only 7.5K discount. Also the difference between swift and Ritz is just 10K out here.
Better check out with a few more dealers. In Chennai and Hyd they were offering 30-35K off on 2009 model Ritz(D). Not sure if the same offer is applicable to 2010 models also. But 7.5k seems to be on the lower side considerig that its a diesel version. My brother got 15k off in Hyd on a 2010 Ritz(P). They were offering 25k off for a 2009 model.

Last edited by longhorn : 7th February 2010 at 13:12.
Old 7th February 2010, 18:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I had also heard albeit the same thing difference in the steering feedback between Swift and Ritz in ACI & i believe BSM too,
Are the K series Swift's better and what about Rattles, has MUL looked into it?
The rattles have been silenced to a large extent. The cabin feels a lot more solid than the Swift. And after installing sound dampeners on the doors, the cabin is a lot more silent now. Just the annoying DDiS clatter I mentioned about.

Quote:
The best color you can buy, Congrats and for the color
Thanks a lot. I'm still coming to grips with all the maintenance required to keep it clean.

Quote:
same sentiments echoed here, please opt for ABS option, have been driving the A* ZXi on and off and absolutely swear by it,
Absolutely true.

Quote:
^^ 30K is offered as discount for the purchase of Ritz D(any variant), zero offer on Swift and Dzire(all cars by MUL have some offer or the other) at my place
There are discounts ranging from 20,000 to 30,000 being offered in Bangalore as well. And as far as I knew, this is an offer from MUL and hence should be applicable in all states.
Old 7th February 2010, 18:35   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
There are discounts ranging from 20,000 being offered in Bangalore, and more if you're exchanging a car. And this is an offer from MUL and not a dealer offer and should be applicable in all states. Please check with other dealers in your area.

I actually bought my car in huff and puff as this offer was supposed to end on Dec 31, 09. But MUL extended it till Feb '10, albeit with a lesser discount.
Old 7th February 2010, 20:07   #42
Senior - BHPian

the centre console was a deal breaker for me. I had to drive with the seat pushed all the way back.
At 80~100ish speeds , it should be okay, but still no corner carver like the swift. some body roll will be there
Old 7th February 2010, 20:39   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Better check out with a few more dealers. In Chennai and Hyd they were offering 30-35K off on 2009 model Ritz(D). Not sure if the same offer is applicable to 2010 models also. But 7.5k seems to be on the lower side considerig that its a diesel version. My brother got 15k off in Hyd on a 2010 Ritz(P). They were offering 25k off for a 2009 model.
I bought in mid-January and got a 23k discount on a Ritz(P) with no exchange.
Old 7th February 2010, 23:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

I hate to disrupt the chain of well thought out advice given based on your preferences, but I couldn't help but wonder that from the list of things mentioned by you, the Figo diesel would be the best bet.

The only criteria it might not fulfill is the resale value 2-3 years down the line, but that is something we can't really guess right now.

Do think about it, Ford's spare part prices are now ultra competitive as well.
Old 8th February 2010, 08:47   #45
Senior - BHPian

Not thinking of a ford since i want to sell the car in 2-3 years time.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks