Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2010, 23:13   #1

Chevy Beat vs VW Polo vs Ford Figo - HELP!! :)

Hi all

Just got on to Team BHP
You guys have been having some fun!!!

Was encouraged to start this thread... So here goes!

Looking at getting a new hatch... narrowed down to...

BEAT vs POLO vs FIGO (only if nothing works out will I consider the Swift)

MY NEEDS

1. Going to do between 3000 to 3500 km per month
2. 50% city 50% highway (between mumbai and pune mostly)
3. Would be happy to spend 5 lakhs but can stretch to 6 if its worth it
4. Used to drive a Zen which I sold a while back... now occasionally drive my dad's old Honda City 1.5 AT. I like the space it gives me...
5. But I'm not power crazy. Should have enough juice to overtake on the highway, but I don't want to break speed records.
6. Need that Bluetooth thingie to take over my phone. will add it externally if I go for something that doesn't have it.
7. Ride quality, FE (although my company will be footing a lot of my travel bills), great music system, adjustable seating and steering (want to keep changing my position every now and then), good sound proofing, good a/c... are my concerns (apart from good looks, of course).
8. I don't mind paying a little extra for service and parts eventually if I get everything I want in a car, but I certainly don't have the time to have to take the car to the mechanic every now and then. Need a car that requires little time from me when I'm not driving it.

I'm really hoping you guys can help me out...

:-)
Old 28th February 2010, 02:27   #2
BHPian

Figo Diesel is the best alternative for the kind of running you are looking for. It will meet all your expectations from point 1 to 8. Plus it will come easily under 6 lack on road for you.
Apart from this I would suggest look at Fiat Punto multijet as an alternative to Figo as Punto has already been tested and selling real good in market.
If given me a choice I would simply ignore Beat and Polo as they do not match critera for running 3500 km per month. There is no diesel option for Beat and the polo diesel will come in May, but again as per the initial driving reviews by GTO/Rehaan the polo diesel does not sound that exciting and looks good only for city driving.

So all I can suggest is that take a test drive of Figo in next week or whenever its available and then Punto as well just for a sake of experience. But finally since it would be you who has to spend money and drive the car better get the feeling after test drive and see what you find comfortable as per driving positions, handling and other cost factors like service in your area etc.

Last edited by sameer551 : 28th February 2010 at 02:33.
Old 28th February 2010, 04:21   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
Figo Diesel is the best alternative for the kind of running you are looking for. It will meet all your expectations from point 1 to 8. Plus it will come easily under 6 lack on road for you.
Apart from this I would suggest look at Fiat Punto multijet as an alternative to Figo as Punto has already been tested and selling real good in market.
Figo and Punto is tested and selling good in the market

Figo price is not yet announced and no test cars available, and already selling good in market?

And Punto sales is falling like a rock, I agree its a great car but general public doesnt seems to think that way.

POLO diesel may not be for enthusiasts, but you need to drive to see the difference. The grapevine is 23KMPL mileage, but you need to wait till may.

Karan, IMHO all these new cars are very similar in quality and performance, you have to see it in flesh and test drive to really find what you like. Also you will need to prioritise what is important for you, for example brand value (POLO), driving pleasure(Punto) VFM(Figo)

Hope GTO will come up with a comprehensive comparison between Punto, Polo Swift and i20
Old 28th February 2010, 05:59   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Karan, I feel that the Figo TDCi would be the best bet for you.
Please look at my replies in Bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan Makhija View Post
\
1. Going to do between 3000 to 3500 km per month - Diesel should be the choice of fuel. This leaves us the Polo and the Figo.
2. 50% city 50% highway (between mumbai and pune mostly)
Both of these are very good on the highway in terms of stability, but the Figo is more driveable in the city as the Turbo kicks in earlier. This is based on GTO's review.
6. Need that Bluetooth thingie to take over my phone. will add it externally if I go for something that doesn't have it.
Apart from the Punto, no other car has this. Will have to get it from outside.
7. Ride quality, FE (although my company will be footing a lot of my travel bills), great music system, adjustable seating and steering (want to keep changing my position every now and then), good sound proofing, good a/c... are my concerns (apart from good looks, of course).
The Figo has all of these, though you might want to upgrade the stereo.
Do check the Figo out - it is a very well priced, superb to drive hatchback that comes with the most refined and driveable diesel in its segment. The diesel, though slow on paper will outrun many cars in the city due to the way it is tuned.
In addition to that, the Figo is decently spacious, and has excellent FE to boot. The looks though are quite boring.
The stunning polo on the other hand has better interiors, very good ride as well, good handling (not as good as that of Figo from what I gather) but higher maintainance costs and a poor diesel engine.
Old 28th February 2010, 06:48   #5
BHPian

Given the KMs you are clocking every month it make sense to have a diesel car. Beat is out so does the Polo as its Diesel variant will be available only from May. That leaves you with Figo and Punto. Test drive both and choose the one you like. If still confused then get into the queue of swift-D.
Old 28th February 2010, 06:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Seems you should go for the Diesel. And the TDi engine in the polo is one to die for

If you could wait for that, its would be the best option.
Old 28th February 2010, 07:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Seems you should go for the Diesel. And the TDi engine in the polo is one to die for
If you could wait for that, its would be the best option.
What?? any reason as to why? Is it better then Fiat's diesel in Punto/Vista/Swift/Palio? or is it better then Ford's TDCi?

@ Karan Makhija, If I have budget constraints and if I want good spec. car and will be taking backseat most of the time, I will blindly go for Indica Vista Aura+ QJD @ 5.47Lakh Ex-Show. Mumbai.

Or else Ford Figo TDCi.
Old 28th February 2010, 07:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpzone View Post
Figo and Punto is tested and selling good in the market

Figo price is not yet announced and no test cars available, and already selling good in market?

And Punto sales is falling like a rock, I agree its a great car but general public doesnt seems to think that way.
@hpzone
Please read my post above carefully. For Figo I said that test drive may be available soon or whenever it comes. And the fact is that test drives for Figo are being given in night times to some owners who've booked or showed good interest in the car and you can read other threads to verify it.
The most accurate prices have already been doing round in forums for Figo and I am not sure that after budget excise increase by 2% if Ford could come up with some other prices. But more or less prices are there just a formal announcement is left.

Punto sales are not falling like rock as far I know, there may be some effect in the market share because of Figo, polo and beat but then again competition is getting hot and all co's would lose share to the competitors. Its win win situation for customers. No offense to anyone these are just my personal opinions.
Old 28th February 2010, 08:19   #9
BHPian

Figo has the bluetooth connectivity in top end model. Though i could not pair my mobile (Nokia E50). So you may want to check that first. Maybe the problem is with my mobile, it may not support talking over bluetooth - i remember once i was not able to pair with a bluetooth handsfree.
Old 28th February 2010, 08:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
@hpzone
Punto sales are not falling like rock as far I know
Would really like to know the sales figure for all cars in this segment in February.. more interested in knowing how the goliath (read Swift D) is doing in this competitive market. Maybe Mar and April will be better indicator once Figo starts selling.
Old 28th February 2010, 09:01   #11
BHPian

Beat
With the kind of running that is expected the Beat Petrol may not be worth considering. For the diesel variant of the beat you may have to wait probably till the end of Dec.

Polo
The diesel variant of the Polo is not getting rave reviews. Kindly see GTO's detailed review of the Polo.

Figo
Out of the three choices mentioned by you Figo fits the bill.

Other choices

(i) Swift D- Reliable A.S.S, Proven track record.

(ii) Punto - May have the features that you are looking at and IMHO should give it a TD.

(iii) I 20 - Has a great overall package and a tad above your budget. IMO you should seriously have a look at the diesel I 20. Great looker, classy interiors and reasonable A.S.S of Hyundai. This may turn out to be the car for you.
Old 28th February 2010, 09:07   #12
BHPian

Its got to be Ford Figo TDCi.

Its got thumbs up from GTO and all other AutoMags as the diesel hatch to own. Autocar has given 9 / 10 rating for Figo TDCi.

Figo TDCi Titanium which is expected to be 6L OTR is your best bet.
Its got ABS+EBD, Airbags, Bluetooth thingie, good sounding stereo ( checked it myself yesterday) , good FE , Great AC ( AC shud be the best in hatchbacks) and everything else that you mentioned.

I was told by Salesman that 1st service is after a year. If that is true, then its relatively low maintenance.

Go for a TD, I am sure you will walkaway impressed with the engine, driveabilitiy and handling of this car.
Old 28th February 2010, 09:50   #13
BHPian

two words. figo titanium. (obviously diesel)
Old 28th February 2010, 10:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Having driven both Figo and Punto, if you can stretch your budget go for the Punto.
Old 28th February 2010, 10:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkapilb View Post
Would really like to know the sales figure for all cars in this segment in February.. more interested in knowing how the goliath (read Swift D) is doing in this competitive market. Maybe Mar and April will be better indicator once Figo starts selling.
Even I would be very much interested to know the sales figure especially of Suzuki Swift and Ritz but for the second quarter of 2010

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks