Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2010, 07:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

He finalized on the diesel e pack, and changed the color from red to white. White Puntos look pretty classy too - now to wait for the delivery and the price hike. But I must say that the showroom experience is not a pleasure and falls way short of benchmarks of today. I think that Fiat and Tata want to first test if you want only their cars and nothing else.
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:12   #17
BHPian

1.3 MJD is a better choice. White Punto does look classy. How about some photos? The impression about Fiat is your personal opinion and you are entitled to it. As far as I am concerned and numerous other owners on TBHP, enough has already been discussed here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ers-speak.html
Old 2nd April 2010, 12:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
How about some photos? The impression about Fiat is your personal opinion and you are entitled to it.
Photos? There was no Fiat of any kind on the floor of the showroom. And thank you for the permission.
Old 2nd April 2010, 14:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
There are two ways of looking at it: One, go all out and get the diesel emotion pack, and two, be conservative and get the 1.2 E+. In either case, E+ is a must, I feel. Between 1.2 and 1.3, I would say 1.3 due to the sheer economics of running it as well as a better resale value.

Being E+ will add that much more to the resale value (4-5 years down the line, I feel cars with ABS, air bags will be the norm and present cars fitted with these are likely to fetch a better value).
There is no E+ on the 1.2. The top end on 1.2 is Emotion
Old 2nd April 2010, 15:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzerus View Post
There is no E+ on the 1.2. The top end on 1.2 is Emotion
Correct! That is why he selected the diesel, he had to have airbags. Expensive ones, since in other ways he was ok with the 1.2! Smart marketing by Fiat?
Old 2nd April 2010, 17:07   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Photos? There was no Fiat of any kind on the floor of the showroom. And thank you for the permission.
Oh, I meant photos of your friend's drive. For permission, it was only a way of saying, if it offended you, I apologize sir!
Old 3rd April 2010, 13:35   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats to your friend! I just hopped over on this thread to recommend the diesel . It's the best Punto one can buy. Nice to drive, way better efficiency than the petrols, a more robust motor and one that'll fetch him twice as much resale.

Quote:
He said I will have to take a team of people with me to to the PDI?! Reading the checklist, I sympathise with him, I also felt that it is over the top for the buying of a modern mass made car, its not as if one is buying a weapons system! I have bought many new cars over the years, and have yet to get a lemon in the last 18 years
The PDI checklist is to ensure that one ends up with a clean car. Selling test-driven, abused and damaged cars is a rampant practice in India. You pay for brand new, you MUST get brand new. It took me about 60 minutes to go through the entire checklist at the time of my Civic's delivery. Considering that a car makes for the second largest financial outflow in India, to me, that 60 minutes is well worth it. Heck, I'm sure most of us spend more than 60 minutes researching on which car to buy....then why not spend another 60 to ensure that the car you are buying is a clean example. BTW, just the day before, our PDI checklist helped a BHPian from driving out in a new but repainted Nano (BHPian Mad Monkey).
Old 3rd April 2010, 15:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Selling test-driven, abused and damaged cars is a rampant practice in India. You pay for brand new, you MUST get brand new.
I am sure the check list is of use, its just that not everyone needs it. I agree that the above is the major consideration, and for someone with a practised eye, it is quickly and easily done, making sure of this. Glitches can surface a couple of days after delivery as well in the rare case, and may not all get caught in an exhaustive PDI, over and above the one that is done by a good dealer. That is why it is important to buy a brand that can be trusted, from a dealer that can be as well. Many of us have great relationships with dealer owners and personnel developed over the years, that we set store by. Or leverage, by using a friends relationship. To me, this is as important as anything else in the buying process of an automobile, and I'd say this is not so only in India.
PS: Appreciate the confirmation!

Last edited by Sawyer : 3rd April 2010 at 15:06.
Old 5th April 2010, 13:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He finalized on the diesel e pack, and changed the color from red to white. White Puntos look pretty classy too - now to wait for the delivery and the price hike. But I must say that the showroom experience is not a pleasure and falls way short of benchmarks of today. I think that Fiat and Tata want to first test if you want only their cars and nothing else.
Congrats to your friend. Punto MJD is indeed a good to drive car in city with good low end torque. I dont know which dealership you guys went to but then for me it was on par with other Brand dealers. The dealership even went out of their way to register my car before getting the loan disbursed. I would have helped you with the dealership if asked for. Anyways, all is well that ends well, ask your friend for a proper TBHP PDI.
Old 9th April 2010, 13:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

White Punto that has just come in to the dealership looks good even when covered with road dust and grime as it was while the PDI was being done, pre wash. Things looked good with the car, even on the ramp, where there is not a speck of rust visible on the underbody componentry! The AC wasn't cooling at all, but this glitch will get addressed before delivery. It turned out that my friend shares some acquaintances with the service manager, and this is the best thing to have for any car, and more so for one like Fiat which is not as niggle free as most of the competition. The diesel sounds good, the external design is still best in class, but interiors are mediocre, and feel cramped for space for some one of size. I guess the i 20 is the spoiler here.
Actual delivery will be next week, and I look forward to getting to drive it on the highway. Bit like being a grandparent that joy, all the fun with little of the consequence!
Fiat seems to be on an improvement curve, I have to say, time will tell if it is good enough to meet the needs of what is getting to be a knowing and demanding market.
Old 9th April 2010, 15:43   #26
BHPian

Surely, tempo has been upped by the competition. Figo has already given a solid thrashing to Punto. Fiat management needs to urgently come up with some VFM pricing options. I20 has already been re-positioned.
Old 9th April 2010, 17:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fiat management needs to urgently come up with some VFM pricing options. I20 has already been re-positioned.
It is not that easy, they have done that with the Punto 1.2 upgrades. But they have issues a lot bigger than can be addressed by just clever marketing moves.
Old 10th April 2010, 07:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quick one - what is the spec of the selenia oil that is used for the Punto MJD in terms of the C ratings? Is it CH 4 or CI 4? And does anyone recommend a better alternate?
Old 10th April 2010, 08:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

Selenia turbo diesel is a CD grade oil?????

I did some surfing on the Fiat Italy site and I find that the only 10w40 oil in the range is the Selenia Turbo diesel, and it is of CD grade - I find that hard to believe, and if so, it is a very old tech oil. I would never put that grade into any modern engine. Any inputs from Punto users? Do you allow the Fiat service station to use Selenia and what is the API classification of the oil - is it CD? I would prefer to use the Castrol RX Super plus then, it is as advanced an oil without going over to synthetics that do not make sense to me. It is a CH 4 spec oil, and the 15w40 meets Indian ambient temperature conditions well enough. Costs around Rs 400 a litre I think.
Old 10th April 2010, 09:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

Here's another question - is it worthwhile changing/upgrading the tyres, or are the OE Goodyears good enough?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks