Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 16:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Which emotion? 1.2 or 1.4 or 1.3 diesel?

Guys, there is someone that wants to buy only a GP with the Emotion trim, inspite of my cautions about Fiat. Fair enough, I did my bit, and I have no qualms now if he won't change his mind. We now need some guidance about which power plant. I see that there is not a whole lot extra for the diesel over the 1.4, but a huge extra over the 1.2.
If we were to rule out the 1.2, does the diesel make the most sense overall?
If we were to rule in the 1.2, how does it compare in usable performance to the 1.4? Because if it is not all the slow or clumsy compared to the 1.4 petrol, there is a lot of money to be saved over buying the diesel and using the savings to fuel the car for a few years.
Leaving money out of the picture totally, which power plant shows the GP to best advantage?
Old 26th March 2010, 16:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Guys, there is someone that wants to buy only a GP with the Emotion trim, inspite of my cautions about Fiat. Fair enough, I did my bit, and I have no qualms now if he won't change his mind. We now need some guidance about which power plant. I see that there is not a whole lot extra for the diesel over the 1.4, but a huge extra over the 1.2.
If we were to rule out the 1.2, does the diesel make the most sense overall?
If we were to rule in the 1.2, how does it compare in usable performance to the 1.4? Because if it is not all the slow or clumsy compared to the 1.4 petrol, there is a lot of money to be saved over buying the diesel and using the savings to fuel the car for a few years.
Leaving money out of the picture totally, which power plant shows the GP to best advantage?
There are very few guys on TBhp who have purchased 1.2. I remember one is "rajnibm" or something. I remember he mentioned the 1.2 is not at all bad to drive in city. Of course on highway it may struggle post 110-120. About 1.3 and 1.4, I found 1.3 to be more friendly to drive in city due to good low end torque compared to 1.4. But the 1.4 after 3000 rpm put any music to shame.

On practical basis, if the budget is tight then 1.2 Emotion makes sense. Let me know if you friend is interested, I will pass on the information about the saleman to talk to in BUB.
Old 26th March 2010, 16:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
On practical basis, if the budget is tight then 1.2 Emotion makes sense. Let me know if you friend is interested, I will pass on the information about the saleman to talk to in BUB.
Thank you.
What I am reading is that there does not seem to be much sense in the 1.4, one may as well spend another Rs 50 k or so and take the diesel. And if petrol, one may as well take the 1.2 and save a lot of money, accepting some loss of performance.
Am I getting this right?
Old 26th March 2010, 16:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you.
What I am reading is that there does not seem to be much sense in the 1.4, one may as well spend another Rs 50 k or so and take the diesel. And if petrol, one may as well take the 1.2 and save a lot of money, accepting some loss of performance.
Am I getting this right?
As far I am concerned Yes. But then may be 1.4 owners can throw some light. My opinion is based on the test drive I had. Also diesel makes sense only if the running is descent to break even as early as possible. Its not only 50K per say, its interest on that + insurance increase + maint. cost. May be a good test drive of 1.2 will clear most of the doubts
Old 26th March 2010, 16:57   #5
Team-BHP Support

You may want to consider the resale value of the petrol, which will definitely be lower. And by some margin, IMO.
Old 26th March 2010, 17:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its not only 50K per say, its interest on that + insurance increase + maint. cost.
Why maintenance cost? How much more would it be annually compared to the petrol?
Old 26th March 2010, 20:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Also, what accessories does an emotion pack need? What are the current freebies on offer? Door mats at least? Other than sunfilm, I think it should not need anything else?
Old 27th March 2010, 00:34   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The emotion pack may require the below accessories

1) Sun film
2) Floor mats
3) Parking Sensors
4) Seat Covers

Cant think of too many as the car comes already loaded.
Old 27th March 2010, 00:50   #9
BHPian

1.3 diesel is the way to go Sayer. Its has very good economy. good to drive in city due to its torque and on the highways also it is very comfortable. In fact if you read my initial ownership the car has been performing like dream during my trip of 1500kms in 3 days. Diesel is like my bike on 4 wheels.

Buy the emotion pack as that is VFM and the blue and me is necessary in the traffic conditions that we drive.
Old 27th March 2010, 14:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why maintenance cost? How much more would it be annually compared to the petrol?
There is a good margin between petrol fuel filter and diesel FF. The difference is around 600 I guess. I am not sure about the quantity of oil petrol n diesel engine takes. I am yet to get 1st servicing done. On accessories aprt, I got floor mats and mud flaps (Fake punto flaps) as freebies. I am planning for 3M sunfilms (Around 8000/-) on all windows and art leather eat covers post monsoon. Overall Emotion Pk is fully loaded so you really dont have to bother too much.
Old 27th March 2010, 17:35   #11
BHPian

Quote:
As far I am concerned Yes. But then may be 1.4 owners can throw some light. My opinion is based on the test drive I had. Also diesel makes sense only if the running is descent to break even as early as possible. Its not only 50K per say, its interest on that + insurance increase + maint. cost. May be a good test drive of 1.2 will clear most of the doubts

As a petrol driver all through out, i did not quite love the MJD on the heaviness of the drive and engine noise. However, that is purely personal experience. I felt the petrol engine much refined..
Having said that, i did have a chance to drive a swift VDi after i bought 1.4 and boy that was really a smooth and powerful car. I could feel the power as i also have an swift lxi.
Best thing is to TD both 1.4/1.2 and MJD and compare the drive experience.

On a lighter note, if you want a peace of mind without the "break-even" mind calculator bothering you or so.. go for 1.2/1.4
However, hearing the MJD FE numbers do make me jealous.

Last edited by paritosh2k : 27th March 2010 at 17:37.
Old 28th March 2010, 09:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Here is how things stand for my friend.
He must have a GP.
For the Rs 50k extra, he is quite ok to take the diesel over the 1.4. I tend to support that thinking, quite apart from the breakeven stuff, I think it is worth it to buy the best small car engine in the market today, given that he does not want Marutis. He drove the diesel and loved the feel of it.
On the other hand, he is interested in the huge savings that the 1.2 would give up front, but he says he just must have airbags. So that rules out even the latest versions of the 1.2.
He is ex army and BU Bhandari at Pune support CSD sales only via their Wakdewadi showroom.
Also, the reason he got in touch with me is that he read all the PDI checklists here, and became very nervous about it all. He said I will have to take a team of people with me to to the PDI?! Reading the checklist, I sympathise with him, I also felt that it is over the top for the buying of a modern mass made car, its not as if one is buying a weapons system! I have bought many new cars over the years, and have yet to get a lemon in the last 18 years, and these days I find that checking and making sure of all the paperwork takes a lot more time that the physical PDI. And that is also because I have not been unlucky to be one of those rare sufferers of a lemon, and I think that lemons are rare these days. And if the car is a lemon, it is very likely that its lemon stuff will not be visible in a PDI anyway. Now if I was to buy second hand, that would be very different, and that is what puts me off from the thought of ever doing that!
So sometime soon, its off to the showroom to take delivery of a car that is still, to my mind, a heart over the head decision in India.
PS: One of his questions I could not answer was the AC performance of the GP MJD - is the cooling adequate for Indian conditions? Please confirm, anyone, thanks.

Last edited by Sawyer : 28th March 2010 at 09:21.
Old 28th March 2010, 12:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS: One of his questions I could not answer was the AC performance of the GP MJD - is the cooling adequate for Indian conditions? Please confirm, anyone, thanks.
I always drive my car with ACC on and temp set to 21 and with this I find the car good drive in city. The good low end torque makes it good to drive. Trust me the AC does not bother the engine too much.
Old 1st April 2010, 17:36   #14
BHPian

I have a 1.4 E pack, these are my opinions.

1.2 emotion > This will be good buy, aesthetically there may not be any difference between 1.4 or 1.2 emotion. I doubt if its being mentioned somewhere on the rear if its a 1.4 or 1.2. But you will not get ABS. And 1.4 emotion does have ABS. So if you are content with it then this will surely be a steal compared to 1.3 diesel because of so much difference in price. This may not be a high in performance compared to 1.4, because it is a heavy car and within city it should be good enough to drive. And mileage wise it may not be that great over a 1.4, since both are petrol there may be a marginal difference where 1.2 may return a better mileage.

1.3 emotion > If your running is high then go for this, thou compared to other manufacturers Fiat has kept difference between diesel versus petrol make considerably lower. Otherwise, apart from a slightly more NVH levels and some turbo lag the 1.3 and its torque should be fun to drive. Its a popular engine rather the national engine.
But when choosing diesel over a petrol there are other costs associated too. Like pay more upfront, pay more insurance over years, pay more for maintenance, pay more interest if buying on loan. So better do some math check this out, see if it really suits your needs to go for a diesel car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1784011

Ofcourse if you still like the drive and dont worry about initial costs you can always go for the diesel.

1.4 Emotion> this is a nice engine and I haven't faced any problems driving in the city. FE will be on lower side. But once you cross that 2500 RPM, you can just see it perform very well. Full AC has never been a issue. And ofcourse you get ABS too with this variant.

VFM for Punto will always be there emotion packs be it 1.3 or 1.4 because of the stuff that gets loaded with. But 1.2 emotion will save lot of money and also make you feel happy that you still got a Punto at a decent price.BTW if air bags is a priority then only option is either go for 1.3 or 1.4 emotion pack.
Old 1st April 2010, 21:17   #15
BHPian

There are two ways of looking at it: One, go all out and get the diesel emotion pack, and two, be conservative and get the 1.2 E+. In either case, E+ is a must, I feel. Between 1.2 and 1.3, I would say 1.3 due to the sheer economics of running it as well as a better resale value.

Being E+ will add that much more to the resale value (4-5 years down the line, I feel cars with ABS, air bags will be the norm and present cars fitted with these are likely to fetch a better value).

Due to BS IV, Fiat has already bumped up Linea MJD to 93.7 ps @4k rpm. There might be a scope for re-mapping of Punto MJD as well by the OEM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks