Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2010, 10:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Here's another question - is it worthwhile changing/upgrading the tyres, or are the OE Goodyears good enough?
Sawyer
Goodyears tend to make the steering wobble at slow speeds after about 20k kms. Thats happend to me on two cars. If plan on an upgrade I suggest you look into the tyre section. Also check into the load index, speed rating and the date of manufacture of the tyres you may buy before the dealer fits it. Having said that I'm certain that the OE goodyears on the car are not "H" speed rated. Check and see they might be "T" which is a lower rating

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 10th April 2010 at 10:29.
Old 10th April 2010, 11:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Sawyer
Goodyears tend to make the steering wobble at slow speeds after about 20k kms. Thats happend to me on two cars.
Hmm...thanks for that input. Reading the tyre section also tells me that an upgrade to Michelin Primacy LC of the OE size is a good idea - got a quote of Rs 13k for net price for five, which is pretty good I suspect.
Old 10th April 2010, 16:12   #33
BHPian

If it helps, I have been using the stock GT3 on my Linea for last 7 months now. Tyre noise is definitely on the higher side, but no wobble or any other problem. I think upgrade can be postponed till the stock tyres have run out of life. Just my two cents.
Old 10th April 2010, 17:57   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Diesel is the best Punto to buy. It offers twice the Torque, FE and Resale compared to Petrol variants.

Quote:
Here's another question - is it worthwhile changing/upgrading the tyres, or are the OE Goodyears good enough?
With the kind of performance and Grip levels Punto has i find the OE 195/60R 15 width Goodyear GT3 tires adequate, only under panic braking i do miss the Yoko db tires i have in my Elantra.
Old 10th April 2010, 20:32   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
With the kind of performance and Grip levels Punto has i find the OE 195/60R 15 width Goodyear GT3 tires adequate, only under panic braking i do miss the Yoko db tires i have in my Elantra.
My reading so far is that the Michelins even in the OE size offer better ride comfort and reduced tyre noise, making the GP an even better highway car - not so much to improve the handling. Though braking would be probably better as well.
Old 10th April 2010, 23:27   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm...thanks for that input. Reading the tyre section also tells me that an upgrade to Michelin Primacy LC of the OE size is a good idea - got a quote of Rs 13k for net price for five, which is pretty good I suspect.
Sawyer,
This price you've got is that in exchange of the original tyres? I had no idea about the size or type of goodyears that the punto comes with. anshuman mentions that its 195/60R 15. Thats the size thats on our magnum and I just bought 4 new yoko A-drives last saturday for 16,600/ bucks. I'm sure michelin's were more expensive than that. But I'm not sure if they were GT3's only know that the steering wobbled from a long time. At first the GM dealer told us all Magnums do. Then later on another chevy dealer said it's the tyres and that a problem with goodyears. I know of another with even lower milage and a wobble. I need to check the spare as to whether they were GT3's too
nutsNbolts what milage have you clocked on your GP in these seven months

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 10th April 2010 at 23:32.
Old 11th April 2010, 05:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sawyer,
This price you've got is that in exchange of the original tyres?
Yes, for the exchange of all five to the same OE size of 195/60/15.
Old 11th April 2010, 08:54   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Sawyer,
nutsNbolts what milage have you clocked on your GP in these seven months
I have been consistently getting 13-14kmpl in city driving conditions and 19-20kmpl in three long trips that I have done. Mine is a 1.4 E+ Linea and not a GP.
Old 11th April 2010, 09:37   #39
Senior - BHPian

Sawyer
okay the michelins they offered me were about 1200 or so more than each yokohama. I tried using the spare as much as possible. Workshops don't rotate that until you tell them for some strange reason. But's it good enough for me to use with these 4 as a spare still. Pretty good warranty on the GP. Good to do a lot of driving in 4 years

NutsNbolts I'm sorry I wrote GP. Thats good milage. How many kilometers has your Linea done so far?

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 11th April 2010 at 09:42.
Old 11th April 2010, 10:43   #40
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase. White does look awesome in GP. I too have a white GP emotion pack MJD. It is real fun to drive. I drive the stock tyres Goodyear GT3 n feel the grip is adequate. I have driven the car on Ghat like Mumbai to Goa and even at the speeds above 80Kms the car does not loose its grip. Although I do have plans to upgrade the tyres from the current stock to Yokohama or Bridgestone Potenza or Michelin very soon due to lower tyre noise. Hope this helps.

Kindly publish some pictures of the car.
Old 11th April 2010, 11:48   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Congrats on your purchase.

Kindly publish some pictures of the car.
I am not the one buying it, a fellow TBHP member that got in touch with me for some help is. He has not posted much on the site, and I have told him that he needs to take over this thread now! He will get the car later this week, and hopefully, pictures will follow as well, though it is going to look much like every other white Punto!
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:11   #42

Quote:
I am not the one buying it, a fellow TBHP member that got in touch with me for some help is. He has not posted much on the site, and I have told him that he needs to take over this thread now! He will get the car later this week, and hopefully, pictures will follow as well, though it is going to look much like every other white Punto!
The 'friend' Sawyer has mentioned on this thread is me.
The white 1.3 MJD E pack has finally arrived on 22 Apr 10.

I cannot thank Sawyer enough for all his help, guidance and advice - provided in a completely self-less manner - throughout the process.
He agreed to help me merely because I too am a member of Team BHP.
We had never known each other before I sent him a personal message requesting help.
Now that demonstrates the true esprit de corps of Team BHP.

His help has been invaluable to me since this is my first ever car being purchased when I have just celebrated the 36th Anniversary of my 35th birthday.

My sincere thanks to Team BHP and fellow-members for all the wonderful information that they have made available on this site.
May they continue to flourish.
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:28   #43

"His help has been invaluable to me since this is my first ever car being purchased when I have just celebrated the 36th Anniversary of my 35th birthday."

I need to amend this.
For 35th substitute 25th.
I knew I wasn't that old. :-)
Old 24th April 2010, 06:53   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanandb View Post
"His help has been invaluable to me since this is my first ever car being purchased when I have just celebrated the 36th Anniversary of my 35th birthday."

I need to amend this.
For 35th substitute 25th.
I knew I wasn't that old. :-)
The biblical Methuselah lived to be 900 years old. About the same age as you are now, by my interpretation of the corrected statement. The anniversary of the 25th birthday comes around every 25 years!
Old 24th April 2010, 07:41   #45

Quote:
The biblical Methuselah lived to be 900 years old. About the same age as you are now, by my interpretation of the corrected statement. The anniversary of the 25th birthday comes around every 25 years!
Just proves why I needed Sawyer's help at every step of the process.
Suffice to say, I am 61 now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks