Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2010, 12:10   #1
BHPian

Alto K10 Vxi vs Discounted A Star/Wagon R Lxi?

Note : Team-BHP's detailed Maruti Alto K-10 review can be found at this link

I am looking for a small car for my wife and started a thread on this a few months back and got a lot of good suggestions from the Gurus here. The shortlisted cars were Spark, A Star and Ritz Petrol (budget is not that of an issue but VFM is !!) but then I wanted to wait for Alto K10 launch to make my decision and also to see its impact on the available discounts on other cars. So the search kind of stopped for a while. The primary usage is 2 round trips to to kids' school 2kms away and an occasional grocery trip to a local market. Hardly any highway use as we have a bigger car for this.

I have to trade-off my Zen also for which I can get an exchange bonus of Rs.15K, Corporate discount of Rs.3K and a stereo worth Rs.10K with extended warranty year (On A star and Ritz LXI right now and may be on Wagon R/Estillo in next couple of months depending upon how Alto K10 hits them).
  1. On Alto K10, I dont get any discounts so Vxi price is Rs.3.16 lacs.
  2. A Star's LXI price is Rs.3.58 lacs but after discounts it comes to about Rs.3.35 lacs.
  3. Wagon R LXI could be ard Rs.3.45 lacs if and when discounts kick-in to save their sales.
What is a better deal Alto K10 VXI at Rs.3.16 or A Star LXI at Rs.3.35 lacs or may be Wagon R LXI at Rs.3.45 lacs in next couple of months?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GTO : 10th August 2010 at 09:13. Reason: Adding link to the review
Old 6th August 2010, 12:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

The A-Star anytime.If budget isnt a constraint ,I would test drive the Ritz as well and then decide .
Old 6th August 2010, 12:19   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the prompt response. But isnt the transmission/engine are identical now?

Where does A Star score over Alto K10?
Old 6th August 2010, 12:25   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
Thanks for the prompt response. But isnt the transmission/engine are identical now?

Would steering,gearshift and interiors be much better in A-Star? For the price diff, I would also recommend A-Start. Did you not test drive both yet?
Old 6th August 2010, 12:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

The A-Star is the next generation Alto in other markets.Its only in India that we see all generations of the Alto from the M-800 to the A-Star being sold together!!
Old 6th August 2010, 12:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Would steering,gearshift and interiors be much better in A-Star? For the price diff, I would also recommend A-Start. Did you not test drive both yet?
Yet to TD Alto K10...but you guys think that it makes sense to go for A Star Lxi over Alto K10 Vxi if the price difference is between Rs.20-25 K?
Old 6th August 2010, 12:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wagon R will be more spacious and the 2010 ones looks good, interior and exterior. My vote for WagonR.
Old 6th August 2010, 13:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Yet to TD Alto K10...but you guys think that it makes sense to go for A Star Lxi over Alto K10 Vxi if the price difference is between Rs.20-25 K?
If I were in your situation I would pick A Star if price difference is only Rs.20-20k. A Star is overall a better car, when you have chance just see both cars standing side by side in showroom and I think you should not have any difficulty in making decision

In test drive review of new Alto on T-BHP it was found that gearshift is not as good as A Star and New WagonR.
Old 6th August 2010, 13:25   #9
BHPian

Yes, my pick is also A*. Over-all A* is a much better car when compared to AltoK10. By the way, the price quoted above for A*, Wagon R and Altok10 are very tempting. I am sure we dont get such prices down south in chennai.
Old 6th August 2010, 14:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

AStar is a small car which is fun to drive with good road manners. It likes being driven enthusiastically.

Prime objective of your new car is to drop off/pick up kids to/from their school and for shopping. As i understand, your wife is going to be driving it mostly, and surely she would appreciate, high seating position, good all round visibility and more space (and a feeling of more space which is even better than Ritz). Based on these points I would suggest Wagon R.
Old 6th August 2010, 17:42   #11
BHPian

I am not getting those kind of discounts on Wagon R so A Star Lxi seems to be the best bet as of now.

My heart was set on Alto K10 but after the recommendations from Gurus, it seems that A Star Lxi is the car to go for when compared to Alto K10...Have called True Value guys to appraise my Zen tomorrow. Lets see how it goes...

Last edited by JKBKS : 6th August 2010 at 17:48. Reason: Spellings mistake
Old 6th August 2010, 17:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

1) It depends on what exactly the prime user of the car is comfortable with. Alto is small and nimble, but is relatively low slung. A-star is new Alto in international market and any given day I would prefer A-star as its more modern, more fun to drive.

2) If you are looking forward to better all round visibility and good utilization of available space, consider the Wagon R. Ritz is very nice car, but when it comes to all round visibility Wagon R wins. As you already have another car to cater highway drivers, I suggest you look at Wagon R as its most practical car for city driving from all the cars you have listed here.

Quote:

As mentioned above, A-star is the new Alto for International markets. Suzuki UK site will show the A-star being sold as Alto. In some markets, the A-star is sold as Celerio also. Drive both cars and you will have a better view of difference. A-star is better than the Alto IMO.
Old 6th August 2010, 18:04   #13

I would wish to trade in my old lovalable Zen LX model 2002, done about 77000kms. Still the engine is superb and refined as gold. But now Iam tempted to choose the new cars from MS stable, especially the new Alto K10 Vxi ( no discounts yet) or A star Lxi ( discounts upto 55000/- which includes consumer + exchange offer + corporate). A star LXi trimmed down price after discounts more or less matches the price of Alto Vxi. Iam in dilemma, on which the car to choose knowing the pros and cons of both the cars.

Request anyone to help me decide and the key USP for making the right car choice.
Old 7th August 2010, 07:53   #14
BHPian

Since the majority of the people are for A Star, I read the A Star test drive review yesterday by Sid. And found it to be average when compared to the Alto K10 Vxi review by TheMag.

My question is has Alto K10 removed the issues faced in A star and hence is better overall when compared to A Star?

Note: The difference in price of A Star LXI and Alto K10 VXI is hardly ard. 10K now (in my case considering cash discounts, exchange bonus, corporate discount and Maruti accessories).
Old 7th August 2010, 08:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you go through another review of the AStar before coming to a conclusion.
Edit: Alto K10 review by theMAG is very good and to the point.

If its between AStar and Alto K10 my suggestion is AStar, IF you're okay with lack of equipment like power windows, non interior adjustable mirrors, no wheel trim etc.

Last edited by Sankar : 7th August 2010 at 08:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks