Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2010, 03:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: SAFE, cost effective buy for less than 7.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
As many have suggested go for the i20 crdi.However i would recommend to you the i20 crdi because of my personal experience with the said car for 1 year 5 months and 40k kms. So you can always bet on the i20 crdi and Hyundai service.
Happy motoring.
@patil, I am glad the i20 is serving you well. It was in the top 3 cars for consideration after out TD.
However, my neighbour/ friend has some steering rattle issues in his i20.I also checked tbhp later and this seems to be a widespread issue.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ownership.html
There is also a spreadsheet somewhere on this thread with a list of people who have the same issue. I am not convinced about the continued safety of the car, regardless of the NCAAP rating. The concern for me is not the problem itself, but how badly Hyundai has handled it. To compound matters, we had a bad TD experience at Kothari Hyundai in Pune, so family not convinced about *** either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
@selfdrive: my friend went for Jazz Select Edition whose ex-showroom price is Rs7.48lac. So along with 80k discount and considering registration charges, the price was less than 7.5lac approx. The Jazz Select edition also has all the safety features. The OTR price was around Rs 7.3lacs.
@simhi, thanks for the details. I hope they have some offer running end Q1

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
Since you have mentioned in your list that "5. Used cars will do too", I am suggesting you to look for Toyota Corolla.
You would descent, well maintained, less mileage Corolla for your budget of 7.5L. You can check out with any U-trust Toyota used car dealer in your city(if you have one), they would offer with warranty
@camchennai, this is a great idea, well worth considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
I am going to suggest to 2 different vehicles. The intention definitely is not to confuse you
I hope you could also get a used Civic in your budget. If you start looking you might be able to find the one you like in a couple of months. Other than that there are rumours of 5 seater XYLO which IMO should also be good. But I am not sure if it would be launched before March 2011.
@gshanky, if the 5 seater Xylo is launched anytime by end Q1, it would be great news for me. I presume this will be a compact version of the same?

My return to Pune is postponed by a few weeks, so I will not need the car before 1 April. Will the budget have any impact on the pricing at all? If so, would it be better to book the car before the budget?

Last edited by selfdrive : 29th December 2010 at 04:02.
Old 29th December 2010, 06:40   #32
BHPian

Since you mentioned safety is a high priority, I would suggest you Honda Jazz. I have really tested it by doing a major accident with my family and coming alive out of it. Awesome car to drive, good pickup and mileage. You can fit the baby carrier in the lap belt.
Old 31st December 2010, 23:19   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
if the 5 seater Xylo is launched anytime by end Q1, it would be great news for me. I presume this will be a compact version of the same?
No. It is going to be launched near the end of second quarter. The mini xylo is going to be around a foot smaller than the current one. It is going to be similar on most count except for the elimination of last row bench and instead include two small single seats facing each other. So that makes it 5+2 seater. However the gear shift quality etc. is not going to be as slick as that of a car.
Quote:
My return to Pune is postponed by a few weeks, so I will not need the car before 1 April. Will the budget have any impact on the pricing at all? If so, would it be better to book the car before the budget?
Then you can consider buying recently launched Etios Sedan (fuel efficient, torquey 1500cc petrol engine, cooled glove box, spacious) or Liva - its hatchback version, going to be launched in April 2010. But you will have to book soon else it is going to be long wait.
If you are not in a hurry to sell the car soon and no problem with perceived uncertainties of Fiat's future in India then Grand Punto 1.4 (petrol) or 1.3 MJD variants (emotion or emotion pack) are best to look at and drive. USPs are - terrific timeless looks, spacious boot, drivability & reliability, foot rest, MID, etc.

Last edited by ajay0612 : 31st December 2010 at 23:20.
Old 3rd January 2011, 09:39   #34
BHPian

Anyday, I would recommend: Grande Punto MJD E+. It is "Simpre Avanti..!"
What a car..! Looks, performance, Safety: 5 stars. No problems with Dealerships, Atleast in bangalore, all dealers are the same. With Massive Discounts, better opt for 90HP model.
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:31   #35
BHPian

Because of the pathetic FIAT sales, you could have problem in A.S.S in the near future.

Apparently only 271 cars(all cars i guess) have been sold in december. Even the logan or the ikon(discontinued in bs4 cities) is selling more than this.

Unless the FIAT sales stays upwards of say 2000 cars for atleast 3 months don't buy it.
Old 3rd January 2011, 17:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Because of the pathetic FIAT sales, you could have problem in A.S.S in the near future.
I'm finding it very difficult to digest your words.

What makes you feel that low sales would result in poor A.S.S?

Quote:
Apparently only 271 cars(all cars i guess) have been sold in december. Even the logan or the ikon(discontinued in bs4 cities) is selling more than this.
From what I've read in several forums, this is the offtake from factory to dealers and Fiat does not want to increase its inventory at the end of the year which will have to be sold at discounts later on. So they deliberately reduced the numbers.
Old 3rd January 2011, 18:10   #37
Senior - BHPian

I can imagine that the sales would be reported as lower towards the end of the year as people are willing to spend a little extra for getting a car for the next year. I wouldnt be surprised if some companies manufacture cars in Nov/ Dec with the VIN for the next year. I am not saying this already happens, only that I would not be surprised if it does!
I would be happier with a niggle free, well built, safe car, than with a car which has constant niggles but offers fantastic ***. At the end of the day, I would use the car everyday, but the *** only once in a while.
With the Punto, it so happened that we TDed it after the Manza. Now I know that they are not comparable cars, but it is difficult to convince the rear seat passengers about any other car once they have sat in the Manza. I should try for another 'separate' TD (no Manza in sight during that week for the rear seat passengers!)
Nevertheless, some bhpians (and their threads) have now added more 'fuel to the fire/ masala to the biryani/ dahi to the raita' by suggesting the option of used cars. Now this has opened up the vista (pun definitely not intended) for a wider range of cars (of course based on availability).
In terms of run, I have been offered two thought processes. Firstly that my run is not regular enough to warrant for a diesel (I mostly use my bike for my daily runs in Pune traffic). The contrasting opinion is that once I get a diesel, I will ensure that I drive more (thanks for this - you guys know who you are!)
Oh the joys of being a bhpian
I appreciate every bit of the confusion that is being generated in my head and I am sure it will help me decide upon the right car. The timeline for the arrival of the car in my garage (well parking lot, actually) is March end. Does anyone think it would be beneficial to buy before the budget?
FYI, my priorities currently look like this:
If new: Manza Quadrajet Aura+/ Figo Titanium Tdci/ Punto MJD Emotion Pk/ Jazz Select
If used: Jazz/ City/ Linea/ SX4

PS: No compromise on safety features!
PPS: And yes, I forgot to mention the impending launch of the SX4 diesel, it would add to the list. On second thoughts, it may simplify the decision if I get to see a BHP review before March: GTO/ Rehaan/ Sidindica - any inside news/ scoop?

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd January 2011 at 18:12.
Old 6th January 2011, 03:41   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to buy a car (who isnt!!) and I appreciate your suggestions considering my criteria:

1. Must have airbags (at least 2) and ABS - Manza Aura+
2. Ideally 3 rear seatbelts. I am not sure if this is offered in all cars - Manza Aura+
3. I would prefer a diesel; but can consider petrols as long as they are not gas guzzlers (9kmpl or below IMHO) - Manza Aura + (P and D)
4. Nice to have but not necessary at all - alloy wheels (can fit them later), rear power windows, steering adjust, ACC - All Features available in Manza Aura+ (Alloys exception)
5. Used cars will do too -
6. Budget 7.5L, though any money saved would be appreciated - Manza Petrol (Around 6.9 Lacs) Diesel (7.5 lacs)
7. Target delivery date is Feb 10, 2011 - Very low waiting period for Manza
8. I do not want the Swift (personal choice only, no offence to Swift owners)
9. I am not a sedate driver, but the passengers prefer me to be one, so I will have to go for a "family car" (read as no Palio) - PERFECT FAMILY CAR, the backseat it excellent hands down!!!
10. Ideally prefer a hatchback, I think the only sedans I can consider in this budget are the Manza and the SX4 - You can also consider the VISTA QJD AURA+ (Excellent car and you will save 1.5 lacs almost)
11. Normal load will be 3 or 4, very occasional 5th person - Manza and Vista. Most other cars are not so space and comfort oriented!
12. there should be enough space in the rear seat for a baby car booster seat - Space = MANZA and VISTA
13. All adult passengers are between 5'9" and 6'1 (to ascertain leg room) = Again Manza and Vista.
14. A** should be decent. I dont need to be served a soft drink when I visit them, and I will be happy as long as any niggles on the car are effectively resolved without any BSing - Vastly Improved (My personal experience). TATA is taking the customers VERY seriously
15. GC should be decent, I have to drive in/ around Pune - Vista sometimes bottoms out on really high Speedbreakers (like on the road near deccan college when negotiating the curve near the masjid, Tandoori chicken shop! ) but on most roads is PERFECT.
16. I expect to own the car for around 4 to 5 years at the least - I have abused the car and My sis uses it too, excellent. NO rattles, squeaks

Phew, thats one long list! I have TDed the Punto Emotion Pk, Manza Aura+, Figo Titanium Tdci, I20 crdi and SX4 VVT. Are there any other cars that I should be considering? What are your opinions/ recommendations?
Thanks again!
I have put my responses in bold. If you ask me, go for the Manza or Vista. I have had good experiences with the A** both at BU Bhandari (in the past) and now with Pandit. Tata customer service sms you or call you to seek feedback regularly. Very nice.
SX4 - well, I personally dont like it. No offense. It is not so VFM when you compare it to Manza.
Figo, I20 are good cars. But Figo is a noisy customer. My dad (70 yrs, 6ft1) is not very comfortable in the Figo (we used a friends car for a few days and he did not like the rear seat). He however is eminently comfortable in our Vista (we did a Pune to Kopargaon trip non stop and he was very fresh when we got down).
For the family, it makes a lot of sense to go for the Manza or the Vista. Take your family along when you TD a car (suggestion)
Old 6th January 2011, 13:18   #39
BHPian

Given your requirements, I'd suggest the Honda Jazz. It meets all the points you mentioned except your requirement for GC. Definetely worth a test drive. Here's what you'll like:

1) Acres of Leg room
2) Airbags + ABS
3) Honda Service leaves much to be desired, but is any day better than most of the competition in this price point. Search for Honda Pune Dealers for more specific reviews.
4) Reliable as all Honda's are.
5) Fuel Efficiency - 12 kmpl in the silly traffic of delhi
6) Awesome Gearbox

If GC is a big issue, consider an used COROLLA. My Altis has some quality issues but previous gen was just zero maintenance.

Hope that Helps ! Cheers!
Old 6th January 2011, 14:50   #40
BHPian

Quote:
We saw the Fiesta when we TDed the Figo and liked the look and feel. However, I have heard that there is an upgrade due sometime in 2011. If this happens before my booking, I will definitely consider (and TD) it.
The upgraded Fiesta is not going to be a "relpacement" for existing one. It most likely going to be a player in the Honda City segment. If that happens, it goes beyond your budget. As someone suggested already, you can either look at 1.4 Diesel Zxi or 1.6 Petrol Sxi. With 1800 odd units sold in December, the car still has takers. Well, I was one in april 2010
Old 6th January 2011, 16:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
I have put my responses in bold. If you ask me, go for the Manza or Vista. I have had good experiences with the A** both at BU Bhandari (in the past) and now with Pandit. Tata customer service sms you or call you to seek feedback regularly. Very nice.
SX4 - well, I personally dont like it. No offense. It is not so VFM when you compare it to Manza.
For the family, it makes a lot of sense to go for the Manza or the Vista. Take your family along when you TD a car (suggestion)
Thanks torquecurve, as of this week, the Manza seems to be top of the charts. I still have a few weeks to decide. The SX4 is almost out of the reckoning for me, as there is no news on the diesel launch (and even if it is, it would be out of my budget). As for the Manza if there was a CS version available, I would not consider any other car at all. No offence again, but the rear is too big for my usage.
It is usually the other way around, my family takes me along when they go for a TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_speed View Post
Given your requirements, I'd suggest the Honda Jazz. It meets all the points you mentioned except your requirement for GC. Definetely worth a test drive. Here's what you'll like:
If GC is a big issue, consider an used COROLLA. My Altis has some quality issues but previous gen was just zero maintenance.
Hope that Helps ! Cheers!
Thanks ricky_speed, this certainly helps a lot. I like the Jazz a lot and will go for the TD. However, I am leaning more towards a diesel car.
I will definitely consider the used cars available around that time, though as we all know availability is based completely on timing/ luck. The best car is usually available in the market after you have already bought one

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
The upgraded Fiesta is not going to be a "relpacement" for existing one. It most likely going to be a player in the Honda City segment. If that happens, it goes beyond your budget. As someone suggested already, you can either look at 1.4 Diesel Zxi or 1.6 Petrol Sxi. With 1800 odd units sold in December, the car still has takers. Well, I was one in april 2010
New.Novice, I was informed that the new Fiesta is going to be a hatchback. Well, this is the problem with keeping all launch updates a secret. These companies lose prospective customers, at least those like me who arent patient enough to be at the mercy of their updates. I mean, whats the big issue in just announcing that a hatchback is being launched or a sedan? just put it up on the website as the next thing that will be launched (no images required). It isnt something that will affect national security, for cookie's sake!

Last edited by selfdrive : 6th January 2011 at 16:19. Reason: spelling
Old 6th January 2011, 16:54   #42
BHPian

Quote:
New.Novice, I was informed that the new Fiesta is going to be a hatchback. Well, this is the problem with keeping all launch updates a secret. These companies lose prospective customers, at least those like me who arent patient enough to be at the mercy of their updates. I mean, whats the big issue in just announcing that a hatchback is being launched or a sedan? just put it up on the website as the next thing that will be launched (no images required). It isnt something that will affect national security, for cookie's sake!
Ford is expected to launch both a hatchback and a sedan version of fiesta, as i understand. But you are right, there is no clarity on what comes first. My guess after Figo's run away success is that Ford will add a new fiesta to the sedan category ( priced in vento/city territory) to replace their ageing fiesta, stop producing the ikon, reduce prices of old fiesta and will then launch a fiesta hatchback ( priced in i20, polo territory).
Old 6th January 2011, 18:29   #43
BHPian

Do consider used cars like Corolla or ANHC/Civic. You would get a good one in your budget and the A-S-S would be top notch as well.

Look here:
Used Cars - Search used cars available for sale in India - CarWale
Old 6th January 2011, 20:32   #44
BHPian

+1 for Manza.
It provides you everything you wanted + acres of space and comfort.
Great family car. Quite stable even while cruising at 140+.
Gem of diesel engine - Thanks to fiat Im getting FE of 16+ in City with 50% AC. Highway - around 20+

Overall im enjoying this vehicle for the last 14 months and never had any complaints.
Old 7th January 2011, 12:59   #45
BHPian

Somone in Pune is selling a July 2009 1.4 Linea Emotion Pack. Are you interested ?

10k kms on the odo.

Colour : Bossa Nova White

Reason for sale : He is going for a Linea T-Jet

Last edited by amoghchaphalkar : 7th January 2011 at 13:00.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks