Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2011, 20:45   #46
BHPian

Re: SAFE, cost effective buy for less than 7.5L

Go for the pre owned option, you will not regret it as long as you buy a good one, no matter if you pay a little more than the market price, its well worth it.

Last edited by zulfi hansi : 7th January 2011 at 20:53.
Old 7th January 2011, 20:49   #47
BHPian

You are a driver, so put your money where the pedal is. In my opinion buy used, you get the best bang for your buck. Buying used is wise, but buying a good used car is a lot of hardwork.

If you are not avers to taking the pain and getting a pre owned after you come here, my advise is go for Laura TDI, you will get it in your budget. suits all your requirements. Good resale too. Image boost comes free.

In pre owned I would have suggested Civic but for GC, if petrol is OK then go for corolla, I got a 2004 H5 for 4.5 lakhs, you will get a 2008 in your money, total peace of mind car I'd say. Good resale too.
Old 8th January 2011, 05:10   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh_ny View Post
My guess after Figo's run away success is that Ford will add a new fiesta to the sedan category ( priced in vento/city territory) to replace their ageing fiesta, stop producing the ikon, reduce prices of old fiesta and will then launch a fiesta hatchback ( priced in i20, polo territory).
@vignesh_ny; Whatever they do, if they announced the timelines, they could retain some people like me who will otherwise go in for something else. When they launch it, they will spend millions to create a buzz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
Do consider used cars like Corolla or ANHC/Civic. You would get a good one in your budget and the A-S-S would be top notch as well.
Look here:
Used Cars - Search used cars available for sale in India - CarWale
Yessir, also looking at New Cars in India | Used Cars | New Car Prices | Latest Cars in India, though there seem to the samecars on both sites.It would be much better to get it from a fellow bhpian! I hope people are reading this

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
+1 for Manza.
It provides you everything you wanted + acres of space and comfort.
Great family car. Quite stable even while cruising at 140+.
Gem of diesel engine - Thanks to fiat Im getting FE of 16+ in City with 50% AC. Highway - around 20+
Overall im enjoying this vehicle for the last 14 months and never had any complaints.
@harishpr, If there is a Manza CS (hopefully only the boot is cut and not the cabin!), I put my money on the table tomorrow. I know it doesnt looks as big as on the pics, but it just isnt practical enough for me. I dont travel anywhere for more than a few days at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Somone in Pune is selling a July 2009 1.4 Linea Emotion Pack. Are you interested ?
10k kms on the odo.
Reason for sale : He is going for a Linea T-Jet
amogh, thanks again; please see my PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Go for the pre owned option, you will not regret it as long as you buy a good one, no matter if you pay a little more than the market price, its well worth it.
Quote:
You are a driver, so put your money where the pedal is. In my opinion buy used, you get the best bang for your buck. Buying used is wise, but buying a good used car is a lot of hardwork.
If you are not avers to taking the pain and getting a pre owned after you come here, my advise is go for Laura TDI, you will get it in your budget. suits all your requirements. Good resale too. Image boost comes free.
In pre owned I would have suggested Civic but for GC, if petrol is OK then go for corolla, I got a 2004 H5 for 4.5 lakhs, you will get a 2008 in your money, total peace of mind car I'd say. Good resale too.
@zulfihansi: I will certainly look at used cars, however I cant return to Pune before mid march, so it will have to be online till then.
I dont know much about either the Laura or the Corolla, I should use the next few days to trawl through the info here.

Now there is one more feasibility check - which car is the best to install a bicycle rack - ideally 2?and is it allowed to transport bicycles like that in India?
Old 8th January 2011, 13:22   #49
Senior - BHPian

I would like to recommend the i20 asta petrol with sunroof.
1. Fits in your budget.
2. Very good usable space inside the cabin.
3. 6 airbags, abs with ebd, rear disc brakes.
4. Seat belt reminder for all 5 occupants and impact sensing door unlock.
5. Plenty of goodies ~ acc, powered mirrors with retract. Sunroof, cooled glovebox. And the new ones even have a screen built in which doubles up as a reverse camera.
In short its everything you have stated in your requirements.
Some of these features arent even in my civic which costs twice as much.

I have all these details with me fresh cause i just visited the showroom with a friend of mine the other day and was quite impressed with it. Even took a brochure home to show the wife, probably going to be her next car although she wants it in automatic. Her next choice after this is the honda city. But the honda doesnt have as many features.

Regarding a.s.s i feel hyundai is quite good. Have heard quite a. Few good reviews of their a.s.s

good luck with your new purchase.
Old 8th January 2011, 22:09   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
@vignesh_ny; Whatever they do, if they announced the timelines, they could retain some people like me who will otherwise go in for something else. When they launch it, they will spend millions to create a buzz.

Yessir, also looking at New Cars in India | Used Cars | New Car Prices | Latest Cars in India, though there seem to the samecars on both sites.It would be much better to get it from a fellow bhpian! I hope people are reading this

@harishpr, If there is a Manza CS (hopefully only the boot is cut and not the cabin!), I put my money on the table tomorrow. I know it doesnt looks as big as on the pics, but it just isnt practical enough for me. I dont travel anywhere for more than a few days at a time.

amogh, thanks again; please see my PM

@zulfihansi: I will certainly look at used cars, however I cant return to Pune before mid march, so it will have to be online till then.
I dont know much about either the Laura or the Corolla, I should use the next few days to trawl through the info here.

Now there is one more feasibility check - which car is the best to install a bicycle rack - ideally 2?and is it allowed to transport bicycles like that in India?
Bicycle rack on the roof may not be practical here, but on the back of the car can be done, BTW I can include a Scorpio too in your budget (after you mentioned the bicycle rack). Most of the hatches here can carry it off on the back.

On the other hand you can consider an Octavia L&K too in your dough.
Old 9th January 2011, 13:19   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I would like to recommend the i20 asta petrol with sunroof.
Regarding a.s.s i feel hyundai is quite good. Have heard quite a. Few good reviews of their a.s.s
good luck with your new purchase.
thanks mdsaab, the initial thought was to stretch the budget to fit the asta crdi. In any case, I do not require the sun roof. However, based on my neighbour's issues with the steering in his Asta, I checked if there was a solution provided by Hyundai, and it has not been resolved. There are a few nightmares mentioned on tbhp too. As I want to have the peace of mind of having a safe car (where at least I am not worried about the basics), I am not considering the i20 any more. It has more than what I want, but does not offer me assurance about my basic requirements. No offence to i20 owners, its my assessment of my requirements

Quote:
Bicycle rack on the roof may not be practical here, but on the back of the car can be done, BTW I can include a Scorpio too in your budget (after you mentioned the bicycle rack). Most of the hatches here can carry it off on the back.
On the other hand you can consider an Octavia L&K too in your dough.
I am not sure either that the rack on the roof would work in India. The one at the back would be more practical. Do we get this bike rack in India or should it be brought from outside? I will check the specs/ budget for the Scorpio too
Old 9th January 2011, 14:06   #52
BHPian

+1 to the used Corolla, it may not be the most fuel efficient, but should give more than 9kmpl. Very spacious, reliable, and Toyota maintenance costs are quite low.
Over all a very practical family sedan, with a decently powered engine as well.
Can easily find in under 5 lakh.
Old 9th January 2011, 14:25   #53
BHPian

@selfdrive

how about a brand new Swift Dzire ZDi? I know you said you dont like swift but what about dzire? It fits all your requirements perfectly.

OR

Used Honda Civic MT gives mileage anywhere between 8.5-10kmpl. Dont go for AT Civic as it gives mileage of only 6.8-8kmpl.
Old 9th January 2011, 19:53   #54
Senior - BHPian

Was not aware the i20 had a lot of issues. Looks like i will strike it off the wifes list too.

Regarding the bicycle rack. There is this place in koregaon park. Its on lane number 7. Near herbs and spice restaurant. You can check it out. They sell a lot of great bicycles and if i am not mistaken also have these racks. I have seen one which is mounted on the rear of a swift.

Regards
mash
Old 9th January 2011, 21:17   #55
BHPian

Quote:
I appreciate your suggestions considering my criteria:
5. Used cars will do too
10. I think the only sedans I can consider in this budget are the Manza and the SX4
You say used cars will do and yet consider only Manza & SX4 as sedans? If you are ready to look at used cars, you have abundant choice. Of all, I would suggest a used Corolla (H5-top end) or a used Accord. Both are petrol but definitely not gas guzzlers and meet most of your criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Shut your eyes and pick up the i20 CRDI asta, though you might have to spend some extra. Meets your requirements to the T.
Spot on. Couldnt think of any other alternative that suits your needs so much.
Old 9th January 2011, 23:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hey wait a minute. I have another recommendation. How about the toyota etios. Toyota after sales service is an added bonus.
Old 9th January 2011, 23:24   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
+1 to the used Corolla, it may not be the most fuel efficient, but should give more than 9kmpl. Very spacious, reliable, and Toyota maintenance costs are quite low.
@kadanaJ, I would consider all available used cars (asofMarch this year) in my budget. Once I have a shortlist I will run it past you guys here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@selfdrive
how about a brand new Swift Dzire ZDi? I know you said you dont like swift but what about dzire? It fits all your requirements perfectly.
OR
Used Honda Civic MT gives mileage anywhere between 8.5-10kmpl. Dont go for AT Civic as it gives mileage of only 6.8-8kmpl.
@jatinpatel
IMHO, there is little difference in the cabin between Swift and Dzire-looked pretty similar to me.
I would prefer the MT due to driving preferences (my idea of fun is MT). I didnt know about the mileage part, thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Quote:
Was not aware the i20 had a lot of issues. Looks like i will strike it off the wifes list too.
Regarding the bicycle rack. There is this place in koregaon park. Its on lane number 7. Near herbs and spice restaurant. You can check it out. They sell a lot of great bicycles and if i am not mistaken also have these racks. I have seen one which is mounted on the rear of a swift.
Regards
mash
@mdsaab, dont go by my word, check for yourself the issues (for example a thread titled 'a rattled up year of ownership' by skanchan here on tbhp. there is an excel sheet somewhere on his thread with a list of similar issues)
thanks for the tip about the bike rack. I will ask my friend to check prices and quality. If it is better in europe, I will buy here itself and fix it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrman View Post
You say used cars will do and yet consider only Manza & SX4 as sedans? If you are ready to look at used cars, you have abundant choice. Of all, I would suggest a used Corolla (H5-top end) or a used Accord. Both are petrol but definitely not gas guzzlers and meet most of your criteria.
Spot on. Couldnt think of any other alternative that suits your needs so much.
@razrman I should have been clear in the point about SX4 and Manza that it is applicable only in case of new buys. I will consider all used cars that are available in my budget at that time, except the i20 (personal choice due to reasons stated earlier)

Quote:
Hey wait a minute. I have another recommendation. How about the toyota etios. Toyota after sales service is an added bonus.
I heard that there is a long waiting period for the etios? I would want the car to be delivered by april first week. Moreover, it is the only car that we havent seen in person yet, I guess I am typically indian in purchases
Old 10th January 2011, 09:55   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
rightly said on all fronts about corolla except the efficiency. Some of our tbhpiens claim to get more than 14kpl in city driving conditions, my dad in his 2003 corolla manages 14kpl in combine run of city and highway, and I don't get anything less than 11kpl in Bangalore city which is known for its notorious traffic. I consulted some pros on corolla and they had to tell me that it should give at least 12kpl in city, maybe its my spirited driving 40% of the time. One pro infact told me that if a corolla gives anything less than 11kpl, something is wrong with the car.

The trick is high torque, lesser gear change, can easily pull on in 3rd gear at 35 to 45km/hr speeds. Its the most reliable car, you may forget to service it on the due date and thats just because you may not even realize that it needs one.

By far corolla is the most efficient petrol car in its class.
Old 10th January 2011, 10:22   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
8. I do not want the Swift (personal choice only, no offence to Swift owners)
If he doesn't like the Swift, I doubt he would want a Dzire

Quote:
Below are 2 reasons why the Civic will not be the choice for him.

Quote:
3. I would prefer a diesel; but can consider petrols as long as they are not gas guzzlers (9kmpl or below IMHO)
15. GC should be decent, I have to drive in/ around Pune
IMO it has to be the Manza.
Old 10th January 2011, 13:21   #60
BHPian

I went through a similar exercise couple of months back, with similar criteria. I found a used Jazz in great condition. Am very happy with the buy, only concern is the slight bumpy rear suspension. With the discounts I would recommend a new Jazz. Post purchase we compared etios, still feel Jazz was better choice. It might be a bit overpriced, as it probably lacks some accessories found in other cars, but in terms of space, great engine, safety features, etc it wins in my book.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks